Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,510 members, 7,819,839 topics. Date: Tuesday, 07 May 2024 at 02:23 AM

Funds In My Brother's Bank Account Was Wiped Off - Business (2) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Business / Funds In My Brother's Bank Account Was Wiped Off (34482 Views)

Woman In Tears After Her First Bank Account Was Wiped By Fraudsters (Video) / How A Loan App Wiped My Account And Left Me Broke / My Sister’s Bank Account Wiped Out. Please Help!!! (Photo) (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Funds In My Brother's Bank Account Was Wiped Off by baralatie(m): 12:03pm On Jan 15, 2022
He should have blocked his atm nah!

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Funds In My Brother's Bank Account Was Wiped Off by samsard(m): 12:04pm On Jan 15, 2022
Desammyst:

According to him, the card is a VISA card, does it mean VISA card can be easily compromised? Because I know that MasterCard have a strong security.
You don't need an OTP for some international transactions, don't matter if it's MasterCard

2 Likes

Re: Funds In My Brother's Bank Account Was Wiped Off by Nobody: 12:04pm On Jan 15, 2022
Polaris na bank?
Re: Funds In My Brother's Bank Account Was Wiped Off by mosaicafrique: 12:04pm On Jan 15, 2022
It was used to shop online, cards have Security and Date of birth on them. Once you input, shopping is successful. Don’t even blame the bank because it’s simply your fault. You should have reported to the bank on behalf of your brother.

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: Funds In My Brother's Bank Account Was Wiped Off by BleedTears: 12:04pm On Jan 15, 2022
No pity for carelessness
Re: Funds In My Brother's Bank Account Was Wiped Off by nelszx: 12:05pm On Jan 15, 2022
Yes it can now be wiped without an OTP, dunno how but someone initiated a debit on my Access bank Visa debit card and certain amounts was debited. Immediately I got the debits, I called the bank to block my ATM as it has boe been compromised.

I think they can now withdraw from your account without needing an OTP or your pin.

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: Funds In My Brother's Bank Account Was Wiped Off by SportsHD: 12:06pm On Jan 15, 2022
Omniman:
smiley your brothers money is now history.

I remember my uncle who is a DPO. They wiped out his 1.2m. He was crying like a baby.

Bank couldn't do shii
Dpo as in a police officer?
Re: Funds In My Brother's Bank Account Was Wiped Off by kacheezy: 12:07pm On Jan 15, 2022
Na that olosho wey ur brother chop and no pay. Nemesis has caught up with him.
Re: Funds In My Brother's Bank Account Was Wiped Off by Truvelisback(m): 12:08pm On Jan 15, 2022
doggedfighter:
So anyone can easily lay hands on another

person's ATM and withdraw without knowing the pin?

Yes.
Re: Funds In My Brother's Bank Account Was Wiped Off by baralatie(m): 12:08pm On Jan 15, 2022
Please protect your ATM o
Re: Funds In My Brother's Bank Account Was Wiped Off by don4real18(m): 12:08pm On Jan 15, 2022
snoopy:
it's not all online payment platforms that require OTP. Infact, most don't especially international and some local merchants. All they require is your card no, expiry date and 3 digit security code at the back. it's only the popular ones like the local Quickteller, Remita and a few others that require OTP.
Actually, in Nigeria, every transaction needs an OTP if you are not making use of token.
Re: Funds In My Brother's Bank Account Was Wiped Off by aminusodiq(m): 12:09pm On Jan 15, 2022
Desammyst:
Good day, everyone. I lost my brother's Polaris bank ATM Card last month. He didn't bother to go and block it in the bank, and went for his military service in Borno state.

He came back this month and this afternoon, he received debit alerts on his phone, as a result of the lost ATM card. When I came home this evening and he showed me the alerts, I discovered that prior to the debit alert, he had received message requesting for OTP five times. I was dumbfounded and till now I can't grasp how it happened.

Does it mean someone's money can be wiped off without OTP?

What happens to bank security? Because if someone doesn't send OTP, isn't the person safe.

Is there anyway the funds can be retrieved.
Please, help a brother. My family is pained embarassed cry
yes... Buying goods online dosent require otp or atm pin... Just the card details and you have your goods

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: Funds In My Brother's Bank Account Was Wiped Off by StRichard(m): 12:09pm On Jan 15, 2022
slawormiir:
Damnnn niggar

Am thinking maybe the otp generated was a hard token.....instead of soft token....even as at that they still need your brother to call them the hard token first

Otp does not go to email address
it does
Re: Funds In My Brother's Bank Account Was Wiped Off by Dragunz: 12:10pm On Jan 15, 2022
Aidejay:
@OP sorry for your loss, to answer your question.

Does it mean someone's money can be wiped off without OTP? - Your money can't be wiped off without OTP it's either the thief's found a way to get the otp by rerouting the destination of the otp message or someone gained access to your brothers phone and copied the otp when it was sent.

Oga shutup, gimme your card details if I no empty am without any fucking otp.

You better wise up, OTP my ass.

5 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Funds In My Brother's Bank Account Was Wiped Off by Idrisab(m): 12:10pm On Jan 15, 2022
Desammyst:

According to him, the card is a VISA card, does it mean VISA card can be easily compromised? Because I know that MasterCard have a strong security.

Lmao, you're still dulling things
I had a Mastercard with Fcmb
My money was vanishing little by little in a series of $5, $2 , $8 ,$10 and like that within short time.
Over 60k don disappear before I got to know
No SMS alert, no OTP. Just saw it on my mail
And those stupid bank would always say "you're probably careless with your ATM details, there's nothing they can do"
And yes, that's it, you'll never see the money again

4 Likes 3 Shares

Re: Funds In My Brother's Bank Account Was Wiped Off by TOPCRUISE(m): 12:10pm On Jan 15, 2022
Since his military service is much valuable than blocking the ATM I can call that a good sacrifice

3 Likes 1 Share

Re: Funds In My Brother's Bank Account Was Wiped Off by baralatie(m): 12:10pm On Jan 15, 2022
aminusodiq:
yes... Buying goods online dosent require otp or atm pin... Just the card details and you have your goods
Huh?
Re: Funds In My Brother's Bank Account Was Wiped Off by Gokuuu(m): 12:11pm On Jan 15, 2022
Sometimes POS guys refuse transfers.
Idrisab:
To be a lil safe in this naija
Block your ATM and don't collect another one
If you know you want to withdraw
Transfer to POS guys
Or get another acct with ATM which you'll Only transfer to when you want to withdraw

About OTP
There's been series of issues concerning money disappearing with or without OTP and are usually online payment so block your ATM and be safe

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: Funds In My Brother's Bank Account Was Wiped Off by baralatie(m): 12:11pm On Jan 15, 2022
Idrisab:

Lmao, you're still dulling things
I had a Mastercard with Fcmb
My money was vanishing little by little in a series of $5, $2 , $8 ,$10 and like that within short time.
Over 60k don disappear before I got to know
No SMS alert, no OTP. Just saw it on my mail
And those stupid bank would always say "you're probably careless with your ATM details, there's nothing they can do"
And yes, that's it, you'll never see the money again
No sms alert?
Re: Funds In My Brother's Bank Account Was Wiped Off by IVORY2009(m): 12:12pm On Jan 15, 2022
Jay5mie:
angry

I REMEMBER TRYING TO PAY MY ADMISSION FEE TO A COLLEGE IN CANADA, IMMEDIATELY I FILLED MY DETAILS, I RECEIVED AN ALERT. NO OTP REQUEST OR ANY MEANS TO CONFIRM IF I WAS THE ONE WHO AUTHORIZED THE TRANSACTION.

NA THAT DAY I GET SENSE.

Gtb is one of the best, I mean their Dom account, you can transfer the said amount to the card account number, so if your dollar masters card is stolen, there is the possibility that the card account will not be having money, but the main dom account is having.
Re: Funds In My Brother's Bank Account Was Wiped Off by aminusodiq(m): 12:12pm On Jan 15, 2022
Aidejay:
@OP sorry for your loss, to answer your question.

Does it mean someone's money can be wiped off without OTP? - Your money can't be wiped off without OTP it's either the thief's found a way to get the otp by rerouting the destination of the otp message or someone gained access to your brothers phone and copied the otp when it was sent.

What happens to bank security? Because if someone doesn't send OTP, isn't the person safe. - You can't blame the bank. you guys were meant to block the card immediately. infact a call to customer care line would have done that.

Is there anyway the funds can be retrieved.
Please, help a brother.
- Yes but it will require patience and you will have to be comfortable with the idea that the money is forever gone.

once again sowwie!!!

for people who like history check this out - https://www.nairaland.com/6940016/these-unexplored-historical-photos-remarkable
this is all shades of wrong... I buy goods on international stores without atm pin and otp... Just my card details. That's all

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: Funds In My Brother's Bank Account Was Wiped Off by everythinggirly(f): 12:12pm On Jan 15, 2022
This is so absurd.
Re: Funds In My Brother's Bank Account Was Wiped Off by GenAbacha(m): 12:13pm On Jan 15, 2022
Felabrity:
You lost your brother card since last month and he didn't block the card.

And him come dey lament.

Mtchewww
Re: Funds In My Brother's Bank Account Was Wiped Off by President2001(m): 12:13pm On Jan 15, 2022
Let him visit the bank and approach their CSO they will identify the location the money was withdraw
Re: Funds In My Brother's Bank Account Was Wiped Off by Idrisab(m): 12:14pm On Jan 15, 2022
baralatie:

No sms alert?
Yes, None!
Re: Funds In My Brother's Bank Account Was Wiped Off by Mosesbutez(m): 12:14pm On Jan 15, 2022
Omniman:
smiley your brothers money is now history.

I remember my uncle who is a DPO. They wiped out his 1.2m. He was crying like a baby.

Bank couldn't do shii

I just have the feeling that if the money can't be retrieved then someone working at the bank is behind the missing money.

How is it that a whole bank can't decipher the last transaction
Re: Funds In My Brother's Bank Account Was Wiped Off by aminusodiq(m): 12:14pm On Jan 15, 2022
doggedfighter:
So anyone can easily lay hands on another

person's ATM and withdraw without knowing the pin?

yes... I buy goods online with my atm card without pin or otp... I was shocked when I found out too.

The good side is.. Once an atm is linked to the site.. You can't link it again.
If you ever loose your atm card with funds... Block it immediately

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: Funds In My Brother's Bank Account Was Wiped Off by nedekid: 12:15pm On Jan 15, 2022
slawormiir:
Damnnn niggar

Am thinking maybe the otp generated was a hard token.....instead of soft token....even as at that they still need your brother to call them the hard token first

It looks like a foreign/online transaction

Otp does not go to email address
Re: Funds In My Brother's Bank Account Was Wiped Off by Charly500(m): 12:15pm On Jan 15, 2022
As simple as ABC, he should have blocked the card immediately after the incident to avoid stories that touch the heart.

I dont care type of attitude should not be an excuse when it concerns your own money again. Even if you are too busy to visit the bank, there are other channels of blocking cards in different banking platforms.

Last year, i was robbed in Uyo and my atm card was among the items stolen, within an hour i was able to block the card by calling firstcontact, fortunately for me it had no significant money in it at that time.

We should all be vigilant and also do the needful when such situation arises.

Criminals are getting wiser, only push little amounts to accounts with atm card u use regularly, while u have a spare account without atm card.

Na 2022 we dey, we all have to wise up O.

5 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Funds In My Brother's Bank Account Was Wiped Off by doggedfighter(f): 12:16pm On Jan 15, 2022
aminusodiq:
yes... I buy goods online with my atm card without pin or otp... I was shocked when I found out too.

The good side is.. Once an atm is linked to the site.. You can't link it again.
If you ever loose your atm card with funds... Block it immediately

Thanks for explaining. This is an eye opener.
Re: Funds In My Brother's Bank Account Was Wiped Off by Sucre6: 12:16pm On Jan 15, 2022
Idrisab:
To be a lil safe in this naija
Block your ATM and don't collect another one
If you know you want to withdraw
Transfer to POS guys
Or get another acct with ATM which you'll Only transfer to when you want to withdraw

About OTP
There's been series of issues concerning money disappearing with or without OTP and are usually online payment so block your ATM and be safe

Wisdom, that's my style and since then, I had peace of mind cool

1 Like

Re: Funds In My Brother's Bank Account Was Wiped Off by Lawalemi(m): 12:17pm On Jan 15, 2022
My mom lost 900,000 to these guys. Wema bank could not do anything.

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (Reply)

About 99.4% Of Bank Accounts Contain Less Than N500,000 - NDIC / Efe Ejere, Chief Operating Officer, Grand Cubana Hotel Celebrates Birthday / Naira Plunges To N575 To A Dollar Two Days After Aboki FX Update Suspension

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 41
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.