Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,151,078 members, 7,811,019 topics. Date: Saturday, 27 April 2024 at 08:51 PM

Possible Farms: An Open source idea for intending farmers - Agriculture - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Agriculture / Possible Farms: An Open source idea for intending farmers (270 Views)

An Open Source Idea to Regenerative Style of Agriculture/Livestock Farming. / Free Intending Farmers Training 3.(live Instagram Class) / We Can Help You to Establish Cereal, Root,Tuber and horticultural Farms . (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply)

Possible Farms: An Open source idea for intending farmers by MideMrPossible: 11:48pm On Jan 15, 2022
Hi guys, my name is Olumide also known as MideMrPossible, I used to be a social media addict but as time goes by I retired into farming out of passion. How did it began? I had people around me who does brood and sale birds at 3 - 4 weeks, most times, the birds are unvaccinated which often led to their death shortly after being sold or before. These and many other issues I discovered so and I tried to teach this people but was I got from them was different, one of them jokingly asked if I know what it means to raise birds? The other supported her saying I think it is easy and if so why can't I give it a trial?

I took those words as a challenge and since I really have the time, I took off from my social media engagement, got a book, modified an abandoned store and designed my brooding apartment and the result was just great as designed.

Here is the genesis of my brooder
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZbR46KM1gdA and later modified into this with an improved result in the health of the birds
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=28myb_VNyNw.

My brooding system was simple and the idea is to restock the broader every 2 weeks. There is a very large market for consumption and I developed a system to give middlemen a chance.

Keeping a proper record of birds, feeds and sales made me understand a lot more about the business beyond those who are not keeping record but has a profit target already set. My observations includes;

1. The rise in the cost of birds at some important time cannot make bird price be static e.g. at a point, broiler could cost as low as 220 and at other time could be as high as 500.

2. The continuous rise in the cost of feed, the best starter at a point cost 6000 and now cost over 8000.

Those two factors gave birth to my thought and idea to quit the business and develop a model, a system that can continually give me birds at a lesser price and also a model that can feed the birds.

With this system and model in place, the farm can have a more competitive advantage over others while the middlemen are conveniently eliminated. How will this model works?

Continue reading below.

Re: Possible Farms: An Open source idea for intending farmers by MideMrPossible: 12:01am On Jan 16, 2022
Well, I've decided to make this information an open source for others to follow suit especially those who are already trained in the field.

Average size of table egg cost about 70 naira though unfertilised but a day while chick cost about 230 naira at the lowest. Why is Cockrel sold for 30 naira and pulley (layer) sold for 320 naira? The answer is value so the first thing to understand is the concept of breeding.

With a good mother stock, a white cockrel paired with brown layer (ISA) will produced a fertiliser egg that can be incubated and the result will be either layer or cockrel same as noiler. The only breed of bird that could be difficult to breed is broiler but with enough dedication and more hands on training, it is achievable.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Kp6BSF-F8a0
Milling of planks in process.

The broader scope is to have a feed mill on the ranch to cut the cost of feed and since the ranch is located in the heart of the villagers who's primary source of living is agriculture that means we can have corn at an affordable price, we can have the corn chaff for other animals such as ram and goat thereby creating a cash flow system both in the short term eggs, birds at 4 wks, birds for festive periods and long term, goat sales, sheep sales etc.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pRJTtGqWBBs
Re: Possible Farms: An Open source idea for intending farmers by MideMrPossible: 12:16am On Jan 16, 2022
I will dive into the concept in bit and later go into details later. The crash idea is

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ijSw9Up0DaY
Land clearing

1. You need to design a model of operations. In designing, I meant you need to define your purpose.

2. You need to design your system of operation, these designs can be changes later but the thing is, you have a system at hand.

3. You need a large space of land, I will personally recommend 3 acres for a project like this.

4. And lastly you need a start up capital. Money to erect a building. You need to have a comfy place on your farm to rest.

How do you cut down cost?
1. Go into a very deep jungle, forget about herdsmen clashes, you need a remote area, even many villagers are not aware of our presence in our current site. More times, you get land in areas that are remote very cheaply and that is one way to cut down your cost.

2. Observe the site before you pay. Check the presence of tall economic trees, check the sand quality and nearness to main road. We have on our site many tall palm trees, cocoa trees and others, we have in total moulded over 3000 blocks without buying a load of sand. These are some little ways to drive down your initial start up cost.

Lastly, this is an investment project, its not a business you get your investment in 2 - 3 wks.

(1) (Reply)

Hidden Secrets Of Profitable Plantain Farming / Fufu/yam Pounding Machine / Help !!! My Pullet Have Strong CRD That Catarrah Is Coming Out Of Their Nose

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 20
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.