Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,165,237 members, 7,860,509 topics. Date: Friday, 14 June 2024 at 11:56 AM

Choosing Between My Career As A Boxer Or Graduating For My Degree - Career (3) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Career / Choosing Between My Career As A Boxer Or Graduating For My Degree (12624 Views)

Should I Join Police Or Continue With My Degree / Choosing Between Fg Job And Coca-cola Job / How To Build A Successful Career As A Data Scientist (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Choosing Between My Career As A Boxer Or Graduating For My Degree by lelion: 6:26pm On Jan 19, 2022
WoundedLamb:
It's sad you have to chose between the two. Which one can you easily refocus on after finishing the other? I'd say you finish your program and give boxing another go. If you're good and passionate about it, your trainers would still want you in thier team.

Francophones in the house, how do you say "reprendre" in English?
.Reprendre can be Resume, regain or pick up...for instance : Reprendre le travail which is to resume work: reprendre conscience which is toi regain consciousnes
Re: Choosing Between My Career As A Boxer Or Graduating For My Degree by okwadatigbogal: 6:26pm On Jan 19, 2022
Please get your degree
Re: Choosing Between My Career As A Boxer Or Graduating For My Degree by Babastrong(m): 6:28pm On Jan 19, 2022
Op, i am a graduate of Obafemi Awolowo University, ile-ife. I studied industrial chemistry. I am also a boxer. I have my own gym in my town.
my sincere advice for you is to face your study. Have your degree first. Then follow by your boxing career.
see, that jab, double jab. One two, 1 2 1. Parry, bobby, waving etc may not help you without education.

2 Likes

Re: Choosing Between My Career As A Boxer Or Graduating For My Degree by hardbody: 6:32pm On Jan 19, 2022
Promise47:
Hello Nairaland
Good morning to everyone.

My name is Promise I'm in my mid 20s. currently I have graduated but still having some outstanding courses (full session) .

I graduated from one of the state university.

My problem is that I'm an Amateur boxer (Paramount king boxing) Lagos and still need to clear my courses before I can take my results. Things haven't been going well with me, the people training me in boxing has told me to choose between my Career in boxing and the school I'm going ( because it's really affecting me I can't go to training anymore) .

I don't know what to do should I just leave this degree and focus on my boxing career ( may be I may travel abroad when opportunity comes) or should I finish my school because this degree has been drawing me back ward(since 2015 I was suspended and I came back in 2019 ) now I graduated but I'm still owing my school delsu (9 outstanding courses) .

I'm really suffering because my parents don't have much, but they are still struggling to make sure I go.

I'm really tired.

please I need advice. please u can insult me but I also advice me thank you I'm the first son I have two sisters.

You are getting it twisted. You can only graduate when you have cleared all your courses. Stop saying you have graduated but still have outstanding courses. My advice: finish your degree and have that in the kitty then you can go and get brain damaged. If you are lucky and come out sane (without parkinson) then you can see what to make with the balance of your life

1 Like

Re: Choosing Between My Career As A Boxer Or Graduating For My Degree by Nairaland247(m): 6:33pm On Jan 19, 2022
Promise47:
Hello Nairaland

My name is Promise I'm in my mid 20s. currently I have graduated but still having some outstanding courses (full session) .

My problem is that I'm an Amateur boxer (Paramount king boxing) Lagos and still need to clear my courses before I can take my results. Things haven't been going well with me, the people training me in boxing has told me to choose between my Career in boxing and the school I'm going ( because it's really affecting me I can't go to training anymore) .

I don't know what to do should I just leave this degree and focus on my boxing career ( may be I may travel abroad when opportunity comes) or should I finish my school because this degree has been drawing me back ward(since 2015 I was suspended and I came back in 2019 ) now I graduated but I'm still owing my school delsu (9 outstanding courses) .

I'm really suffering because my parents don't have much, but they are still struggling to make sure I go.

I'm really tired.

please I need advice. please u can insult me but I also advice me thank you I'm the first son I have two sisters.
Listen to what Moh'd Ali had to say about ur kinda question:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5fidGQHtixI

1 Like

Re: Choosing Between My Career As A Boxer Or Graduating For My Degree by Zimmermann(m): 6:34pm On Jan 19, 2022
dawnomike:
Soeak to your boxing promoters... They should chill and let you get your degree.
By the time he gets his degree, he'll be too old already for a meaningful career as a pro athlete. In fact, age is not on his side already.
If your managers think you have a promising talent in pro boxing, my broda! GO ALL IN NOW!
OR go for your degree and forget about boxing.
Re: Choosing Between My Career As A Boxer Or Graduating For My Degree by WoundedLamb: 6:37pm On Jan 19, 2022
lelion:
.Reprendre can be Resume, regain or pick up...for instance : Reprendre le travail which is to resume work: reprendre conscience which is toi regain consciousnes
ayandee:

Reprendre = resume

Thank you, guys. English is hard, isn't it? cheesy
Re: Choosing Between My Career As A Boxer Or Graduating For My Degree by Promise47(m): 6:47pm On Jan 19, 2022
Okay that's Good my own is industrial mathematics Delta state university I got suspended in 2017(300level) but I came back in August 2019.
Babastrong:
Op, i am a graduate of Obafemi Awolowo University, ile-ife. I studied industrial chemistry. I am also a boxer. I have my own gym in my town.
my sincere advice for you is to face your study. Have your degree first. Then follow by your boxing career.
see, that jab, double jab. One two, 1 2 1. Parry, bobby, waving etc may not help you without education.

1 Like

Re: Choosing Between My Career As A Boxer Or Graduating For My Degree by mfm04622: 6:48pm On Jan 19, 2022
Promise47:
Hello Nairaland

I'm really tired.

You are nearly done with your degree. finish it! Then focus on boxing.
Re: Choosing Between My Career As A Boxer Or Graduating For My Degree by Emiejoe007: 6:53pm On Jan 19, 2022
Rubbish stuff..I joined..nothing worked out
nosim76223:
Go
Re: Choosing Between My Career As A Boxer Or Graduating For My Degree by frozen70(f): 6:55pm On Jan 19, 2022
Promise47:
Hello Nairaland

I'm really tired.

The race is already on the last Lap so that loose strength

Go back to school and finish the unfinished course it's still better than starting another degree abroad if you find yourself there

By the time you complete your degree here you can go for more advance studies

After your full graduation, you can now focus fully in your boxing career

The way to success in never easy

Don't kill the spirit, pick up the vibe and as your name implies, promise yourself that you can do it

Determination is the key
Re: Choosing Between My Career As A Boxer Or Graduating For My Degree by McLizbae: 7:19pm On Jan 19, 2022
OP still need anymore advisers?
IgiveLadiesBj:
Oga watch this video from the Champ himself...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5fidGQHtixI

Be guided.

Cc: ICauseTtrouble

Promise47
Re: Choosing Between My Career As A Boxer Or Graduating For My Degree by ashawopikin(m): 7:19pm On Jan 19, 2022
Promise47:
Hello Nairaland

I'm really tired.

so just imagine that you quit school, focus on boxing, then in one of your fights one werey wey take drugs beat nonsense commot for your body, give u injury, what will you fall back on? Back to square one

2 Likes

Re: Choosing Between My Career As A Boxer Or Graduating For My Degree by Springboot: 7:21pm On Jan 19, 2022
tgmservice:
Boxing in Naija no be Mayweather things oooooo.

Better hunger dey wire dem.

Our Government don't just care

You lazy bunch! Everything is not about government, the entire Mike Tyson and may weather career, they never participated in any government sponsored tournament. Stop being lazy.

OP, I will advice you finish your school and return to training.
Re: Choosing Between My Career As A Boxer Or Graduating For My Degree by naija4life247: 7:25pm On Jan 19, 2022
I know one footballer that used to play for one of these local Clubs in the 90s. About 2010 upwards, I went to the Gambia branch to solve some IT issues for a bank then. Behold, that local footballer I used to know in the 90s was the Gambia branch MD of the Bank.

I used to watch the local league very well then, so I knew his name very well, but I was seeing him afar. So, when I met him in Gambia, he introduced himself, I quickly remembered the name and the face, so I asked him if he was the same person that used to play for so so and so club? He said yes. He said while playing for one of the local Clubs, he was able to get signed into one of the football clubs owned by a bank. After playing for some years, he couldn't play again because of age. But because he schooled towards the end of his football career and got a BSc and MSc while still playing football, the bank gave him employment when he retired from football at about 35 years.

From the bank he played football for which later employed him, he said he moved to four other banks. When I met him, he said he was 51 years and he was the MD of the Gambia subsidiary of a Nigerian bank.
Re: Choosing Between My Career As A Boxer Or Graduating For My Degree by herbert2017: 7:27pm On Jan 19, 2022
My brother Promise, I will advice you as a minister:the choice is ur to make not us. The Bible says seest thou a man diligent in his works,he will not stand before mean men,but before Kings.
My question to you is between boxing and ur education which one do u want more? With education ur success is sure,but ur passion is boxing, follow boxing with dedicated prayer life u will become successful, have ur degree in the future. For more details on what prayer to pray if u believe? Call me on 08038033055
Re: Choosing Between My Career As A Boxer Or Graduating For My Degree by phemmyfour: 7:31pm On Jan 19, 2022
Promise47:
Hello Nairaland

I'm really tired.

You can't be a graduate and still have outstanding
Re: Choosing Between My Career As A Boxer Or Graduating For My Degree by ModestGal(f): 7:51pm On Jan 19, 2022
I hope you see this. Please leave that school and focus on your boxing. Even for those that graduated with good grades,they don't have hope. Focus on your boxing, get your degree later
Re: Choosing Between My Career As A Boxer Or Graduating For My Degree by mrdino(m): 7:54pm On Jan 19, 2022
Promise47:
Hello Nairaland

I'm really tired.

My advice:

Try as much as possible to complete your degree programme, even if you have to graduate with a 3rd class. This could serve as your fallback plan, in case you sustain a career threatening injury that forces you into early retirement (God forbid) in the future. That way you can easily pickup another career path.

1 Like

Re: Choosing Between My Career As A Boxer Or Graduating For My Degree by Cchuks27(m): 7:57pm On Jan 19, 2022
Nigerians and Nairalanders need to start understanding that while one can do anything they so wish to do, getting a degree is only a backup in case their chosen passion doesn't work out as planned. Get your degree young man.
Re: Choosing Between My Career As A Boxer Or Graduating For My Degree by Neddyogu(m): 7:59pm On Jan 19, 2022
First of, are u earning a living from boxing presently? If not, keep it aside and set ur priorities right.
Re: Choosing Between My Career As A Boxer Or Graduating For My Degree by Neddyogu(m): 8:03pm On Jan 19, 2022
phemmyfour:
You can't be a graduate and still have outstanding

Many kids think they're graduates the minute they write their last exams for the final session. Na later their eyes go clear.

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: Choosing Between My Career As A Boxer Or Graduating For My Degree by blessStar(m): 8:14pm On Jan 19, 2022
Promise47:
Hello Nairaland

I'm really tired.

Good day sir ; my advice to you is to go to God , letting His "Perfect" will for your life be done. God is your creator , He knows what's best for you at all times.

people should stop coming to nairaland for people (which there are agents of the devil among too) to advice them , and they may mislead them

Remember ; God is a jealous God . If you seek His help and only His help , He will answer you (only if you are His child ; "given your life to Christ " and close to Him.

a man may think an option is best , but it could be to his destruction

Proverbs 14:12
King James Version
There is a way which
seemeth right unto a man, but
the end thereof are the ways
of death.

God's plan / thoughts for us are always good and perfect and far better than ours

Jeremiah 29:11-13
King James Version

11. For I know the thoughts
that I think toward you, saith
the LORD, thoughts of peace,
and not of evil, to give you an
expected end.
12. Then shall ye call upon me,
and ye shall go and pray unto
me, and I will hearken unto
you.
13. And ye shall seek me, and
find me, when ye shall search
for me with all your heart.
Re: Choosing Between My Career As A Boxer Or Graduating For My Degree by LandMann: 8:36pm On Jan 19, 2022
[s]
post=109512084:
Lol cheesy cheesy grin wink

Dem don turn am to boxing thread!

See boxers everywhere dey throw punch wit dem tolotolo hands!

Up Nairaland!!!

Thanks for wishing him the very best,
BUT,

According to a little research we conducted it shows that taking part in physical activities and sports such as boxing holds innumerable benefits in the relieving of stress, boosting brain performance, and regulating numerous crucial body functions through the release of endorphins.

Besides the physical benefits of participating in boxing, there are innumerable benefits in the development of the brain's cognitive functions when one takes part in boxing.
Therefore, when the OP is stressing out on how he will handle his exams, engaging in some physical activities might be the relief they need!
Looking at things from the positive angle!

[/s]

Nigga don't quote me till you denounce your support for the nepotistic and dementia suffering disaster in Aso Rock.

Reserve your advice for your darling daddy. He needs it more, that's if he can comprehend what boxing and exercise means.
Re: Choosing Between My Career As A Boxer Or Graduating For My Degree by Exceed15: 8:40pm On Jan 19, 2022
Your story is touching. See bro follow your passion. There's something you believe in . No one knows that better than you. Above all pray about it and let God guide you.

I see greatness in you

Congratulations!
Re: Choosing Between My Career As A Boxer Or Graduating For My Degree by Onogueks(m): 9:09pm On Jan 19, 2022
Promise47:
Hello Nairaland

I'm really tired.

I am into sports like you too. You just have to clear all your courses. Just try to be keeping fit while you are still doing your school work.
Re: Choosing Between My Career As A Boxer Or Graduating For My Degree by MoIbrahim: 9:13pm On Jan 19, 2022
Which one do you really love doing? Which one would you love to be doing in your future over and over again?
Re: Choosing Between My Career As A Boxer Or Graduating For My Degree by Yomit71(m): 9:19pm On Jan 19, 2022
Abeg face boxing �, school certificate na rubbish. We wey get na 35k job we use am see since 2016. Zagadat
Re: Choosing Between My Career As A Boxer Or Graduating For My Degree by Bigcowhorns(m): 9:49pm On Jan 19, 2022
PastorMIsBack:

Lol at the insult grin

As a mum, I'd advice you to get your degree. If you quit education, and the boxing doesn't work out, what would you do?
hook me up with a black American girl
Re: Choosing Between My Career As A Boxer Or Graduating For My Degree by Bigcowhorns(m): 9:51pm On Jan 19, 2022
Neddyogu:

Many kids think they're graduates the minute they write their last exams for the final session. Na later their eyes go clear.
na why I no dey follow that their signing t shirt during their last exams.
I don see plenty wey sign out and post on Facebook say done and dusted but them later come back after results release plenty knack pass 4F.
Na who wear NYSC and Convocation gown na him graduate
Re: Choosing Between My Career As A Boxer Or Graduating For My Degree by Bigcowhorns(m): 9:54pm On Jan 19, 2022
[s]
ModestGal:
I hope you see this. Please leave that school and focus on your boxing. Even for those that graduated with good grades,they don't have hope. Focus on your boxing, get your degree later
[/s] please ignore this stupid comment from this dumbass.
She's a drop out and wants you to fall into her same misery.
Such a useless comment.
Na God go punish you for this trash you posted.
Re: Choosing Between My Career As A Boxer Or Graduating For My Degree by Dreytonisback(m): 10:22pm On Jan 19, 2022
This niggah right here is sick upstairs
Y'all take a look at his topics
Nairaland home of mad people grin

Lights up my kpoli in peace

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply)

A Theory Of Value Vs. Need – The Need For Personal Development. / 5 Reasons Working From Your Home Is The Best. / 5 Reasons Every Worker Needs To Develop A Good Savings Culture

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 88
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.