Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,589 members, 7,816,448 topics. Date: Friday, 03 May 2024 at 11:25 AM

Tonga: New Pics Reveal Total Devastation ( Pics) - Foreign Affairs - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Foreign Affairs / Tonga: New Pics Reveal Total Devastation ( Pics) (22167 Views)

Tonga Hit By Tsunami After Underwater Volcano Erupts (Photos, Video) / Tsunami Evacuation Alert after Massive Underwater Volcano Eruption In Tonga / Japan Flooding Devastation That Killed Over 100, Displaced 1.5million(Photos) (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

Tonga: New Pics Reveal Total Devastation ( Pics) by Gospelpreacher1: 4:53pm On Jan 19, 2022
SWEPT AWAY : ALL homes destroyed on Tonga island as ‘unprecedented disaster’ kills 3 and chilling new pics reveal total devastation

TONGA has suffered an "unprecedented disaster" with all homes on one island destroyed, the government has said.

Chilling new pictures show the devastation caused when a volcano erupted, resulting in a tsunami that has so far killed three people, including a British charity worker.

As the scale of the disaster begins to emerge, the government has revealed all homes on the island of Mango have been destroyed.

Satellite photographs show once lush green parts of Tonga turned brown and houses flattened.

Fears are also rising the death toll could begin to climb as communications begin to be restored and more news emerges.

The government of Tonga has described the nation as suffering an "unprecedented disaster" in its first statement.

New Zealand air force images also show areas blanketed with ash and damaged buildings.

Tongan diplomat Curtis Tu'ihalangingie described the damage as "alarming" and said he feared more deaths.

"Possibly there will be more deaths and we just pray that is not the case," he said.

According to the Tonga government around 50 people live on Mango and so far 65-year-old woman living there has been confirmed dead.

It comes as the body of the missing British charity worker Angela Glover, 50, was discovered by her husband James.

An operation is underway to clear Tonga's airport runway of volcanic ash so relief flights carrying vital supplies such as sanitation kits can be delivered.

Australia's Minister for the Pacific Zed Seselja said its police had visited beaches and reported significant damage with "houses thrown around".

DEVASTATION

The whole western coastline has been completely destroyed along with Kanukupolu village, the resort said.

The family that manages the resort had run for their lives through the bush to escape the tsunami, it said.

Other before and after images show the island of Hunga-Tonga-Hunga-Ha'apai has completely disappeared following the volcanic eruption.

The main island Tongatapu has been heavily affected, with water damage being visible to the northern and southern sides.

DEATH TOLL FEARS

"Further volcanic activity cannot be ruled out," the U.N. Office for the Coordination of Humanitarian Affairs (OCHA) said in the update today.

It added that the official assessments have not been released yet as the communications have been badly hit.

Two more people have drowned at the coast of Peru after the tsunami sparked high waves.

The impact of the eruption was felt as far away as Fiji, New Zealand, the United States and Japan.

Aid workers have warned 80,000 of Tonga's residents could be affected.

The Red Cross said it was mobilising its network to respond to what it called the worst volcanic eruption the Pacific has experienced in decades.

https://www.thesun.co.uk/news/17360467/all-homes-destroyed-tonga-disaster/amp/

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Tonga: New Pics Reveal Total Devastation ( Pics) by Wawelexy(m): 5:07pm On Jan 19, 2022
Mysterious things are happening.....
Re: Tonga: New Pics Reveal Total Devastation ( Pics) by Righteousness2(m): 5:18pm On Jan 19, 2022
Terrible!

Reminds me of The response of the KING of Kings, JESUS Christ, when his Disciples showed him the Palatial Buildings around in Matthew 24
See ye not all these things? verily I say unto you, There shall not be left here one stone upon another, that shall not be thrown down.

The Signs are allover the Universe.
JESUS CHRIST is at the Door! Live Ready!
Also remember the Breath in your nostrils is not in your Power.
Live in the Conciousness of your Eternity.

33 Likes 1 Share

Re: Tonga: New Pics Reveal Total Devastation ( Pics) by daddytime(m): 5:21pm On Jan 19, 2022
Wow...

Every morning, as I wake up, the first thing I do is to say my gratitude to God and nature, before asking them to be kind to me as I face the new day.

I dey respect them well well oh..

9 Likes 1 Share

Re: Tonga: New Pics Reveal Total Devastation ( Pics) by Shetemi12(m): 8:06am On Jan 20, 2022
May we not be unfortunate in this life!

8 Likes 1 Share

Re: Tonga: New Pics Reveal Total Devastation ( Pics) by DSC7: 8:08am On Jan 20, 2022
Thank God for Nigeria....
Re: Tonga: New Pics Reveal Total Devastation ( Pics) by Timoleon(m): 8:08am On Jan 20, 2022
One of the danger of living on an island especially in areas susceptible to volcanic eruptions and tsunamis.

7 Likes

Re: Tonga: New Pics Reveal Total Devastation ( Pics) by michlins(m): 8:08am On Jan 20, 2022
I hate all these satellite images

6 Likes

Re: Tonga: New Pics Reveal Total Devastation ( Pics) by pretydiva(f): 8:09am On Jan 20, 2022
Repent from your sinful ways. Christ is coming soon

4 Likes

Re: Tonga: New Pics Reveal Total Devastation ( Pics) by Lexusgs430: 8:10am On Jan 20, 2022
Wawelexy:

Crazy things are happening....... cheesy

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Tonga: New Pics Reveal Total Devastation ( Pics) by mach7(m): 8:11am On Jan 20, 2022
All this extensive damage and 3 killed?

It is well....

1 Like

Re: Tonga: New Pics Reveal Total Devastation ( Pics) by Samiah33(m): 8:11am On Jan 20, 2022
Re: Tonga: New Pics Reveal Total Devastation ( Pics) by dalongjnr: 8:12am On Jan 20, 2022
My God uplift them from the ash of this devastating destruction. God will make ways for them. RIP to the dead.
Re: Tonga: New Pics Reveal Total Devastation ( Pics) by juman(m): 8:14am On Jan 20, 2022
Climate change palaver would kill more than one billion people.
The whole world would cry.

1 Like

Re: Tonga: New Pics Reveal Total Devastation ( Pics) by Seylad2009(m): 8:15am On Jan 20, 2022
Nigeria is indeed a blessed nation. Just that we have unpatriotic citizens.

Condolences to the affected nation.

2 Likes

Re: Tonga: New Pics Reveal Total Devastation ( Pics) by bigdammyj: 8:16am On Jan 20, 2022
Sad
Re: Tonga: New Pics Reveal Total Devastation ( Pics) by dettolgel: 8:17am On Jan 20, 2022
Wawelexy:

Make una read una no gree. grin

See as you tag natural phenomenon as mysterious. grin

2 Likes

Re: Tonga: New Pics Reveal Total Devastation ( Pics) by heniford2: 8:18am On Jan 20, 2022
Why can't this stuff be witnessed in The Northern side of Nigeria kill them all undecided this terrorist tribe over there in North

2 Likes

Re: Tonga: New Pics Reveal Total Devastation ( Pics) by gulfer: 8:19am On Jan 20, 2022
This is so tragic and to think this is the Island that Superfly Sandoka of the World Wrestling Federation came from...I remember the line; 'and introducing, from the Isle of Tonga Superfly Sandddoooka grin grin grin grin grin grin grin, whilst growing up in the 80s

4 Likes

Re: Tonga: New Pics Reveal Total Devastation ( Pics) by ruggedtimi(m): 8:19am On Jan 20, 2022
The celestials at work...
Re: Tonga: New Pics Reveal Total Devastation ( Pics) by juman(m): 8:20am On Jan 20, 2022
Seylad2009:
Nigeria is indeed a blessed nation. Just that we have unpatriotic citizens.

Condolences to the affected nation.

You are not normal.
The problem is unpatriotic leaders.

4 Likes

Re: Tonga: New Pics Reveal Total Devastation ( Pics) by IpobAntidote: 8:23am On Jan 20, 2022
[s]
Righteousness2:
Terrible!

Reminds me of The response of the KING of Kings, JESUS Christ, when his Disciples showed him the Palatial Buildings around in Matthew 24
See ye not all these things? verily I say unto you, There shall not be left here one stone upon another, that shall not be thrown down.

The Signs are allover the Universe.
JESUS CHRIST is at the Door! Live Ready!
Also remember the Breath in your nostrils is not in your Power.
Live in the Conciousness of your Eternity.

[/s]
Trash as usual

Posting a news on one moniker then posting rubbish religious preaching with another moniker is fraud.
Christ is dead like any other man and gone.
He's been coming since 3000 years ago. Better get your head out of your ass and see the light.

Rubbish trash

3 Likes 1 Share

Re: Tonga: New Pics Reveal Total Devastation ( Pics) by Murketeer: 8:28am On Jan 20, 2022
pretydiva:
Repent from your sinful ways. Christ is coming soon
embarassed
Re: Tonga: New Pics Reveal Total Devastation ( Pics) by Favyrite: 8:30am On Jan 20, 2022
cry
Re: Tonga: New Pics Reveal Total Devastation ( Pics) by baralatie(m): 8:31am On Jan 20, 2022
dalongjnr:
My God uplift them from the ash of this devastating destruction. God will make ways for them. RIP to the dead.
Re: Tonga: New Pics Reveal Total Devastation ( Pics) by iLoveYouToo(m): 8:34am On Jan 20, 2022
No comment

(1) (2) (Reply)

Zimbabwe’s President Mnangagwa Appoints Son & Nephew As Ministers, Faces Outrage / Pictures Of London Riot Looters! / Foreigners Are Not Lazy Like You Poor South Africans - Zuma Says

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 22
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.