Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,154,038 members, 7,821,577 topics. Date: Wednesday, 08 May 2024 at 03:16 PM

Welcome Home Ms Michelle Obama. Welcome To South Africa - Foreign Affairs - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Foreign Affairs / Welcome Home Ms Michelle Obama. Welcome To South Africa (3072 Views)

Open Letter From A Nigerian Lady To South Africans / Michelle Obama Wants To Divorce Barack Obama - National Enquirer / Iranian News Censors Michelle Obama’s Oscar Gown (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Welcome Home Ms Michelle Obama. Welcome To South Africa by jba203: 8:45am On Jun 21, 2011
Welcome home Ms Obama. Welcome to South Africa.
Re: Welcome Home Ms Michelle Obama. Welcome To South Africa by RSA(m): 10:44am On Jun 21, 2011
What a woman,Obama does not deserve this woman. cheesy
MICHELLE Obama touched down in Pretoria last night in what officials have billed as her first major solo overseas trip as US first lady, to South Africa and Botswana.

She arrived at Waterkloof Air Force Base in Pretoria at 9.15 pm.

Obama is accompanied by her daughters, Malia and Sasha, and her mother, Marian Robinson - but not her husband, US president Barack Obama.

She is scheduled to meet Nompumelelo Ntuli-Zuma, one of President Jacob Zuma's wives, in Pretoria this morning before heading for the Nelson Mandela Foundation in Johannesburg, where she will get a tour from the former president's wife, Graca Machel.

Tomorrow afternoon, Obama will visit a daycare centre in Johannesburg and tour the Apartheid Museum.

The six-day trip will also take the first lady to Cape Town and the Botswana capital Gaborone.

Obama has a packed schedule that includes a safari in Botswana, a meeting with Nobel Peace Prize laureate Desmond Tutu in Cape Town as well as a trip to the Hector Pieterson memorial.

She will also give the keynote address at a conference of the Young African Women Leaders Forum, a two-day meeting of 75 women aged 16 to 30 who play leadership roles across the continent.
Source :http://www.sowetanlive.co.za/news/2011/06/21/michelle-obama-lands-on-african-soil#leaf

Re: Welcome Home Ms Michelle Obama. Welcome To South Africa by morpheus24: 6:53pm On Jun 21, 2011
The country where they kill thy neighbour!
Re: Welcome Home Ms Michelle Obama. Welcome To South Africa by Horus(m): 10:40pm On Jun 21, 2011

Michelle Obama with Nompumelelo Zuma

Michelle Obama with Graça Machel
Re: Welcome Home Ms Michelle Obama. Welcome To South Africa by tpia5: 12:27am On Jun 22, 2011
hmm, the last two pictures shouldnt be following each other.
Re: Welcome Home Ms Michelle Obama. Welcome To South Africa by RSA(m): 8:41am On Jun 22, 2011
morpheus24:

The country where they kill thy neighbour!

That is so low Morph,jealousy is a serious disease.

Ps, What's the difference between suicide bombers,religous war and xenophobic violence? No difference.Lets all count the corpes and see who'll will loose count.

2 Likes

Re: Welcome Home Ms Michelle Obama. Welcome To South Africa by PhysicsMHD(m): 12:21pm On Jun 22, 2011

lmao grin grin

The contrast is hilarious. . . grin
Re: Welcome Home Ms Michelle Obama. Welcome To South Africa by panafrican(m): 1:43pm On Jun 22, 2011
Hypocrisy. Why is she coming to Africa right now  ? because elections are looming in the USA !!!  this is the truth !
Her  hypocrit  husband and herself  spent  all  their time going to France, and other parts  of Europe after  he was elected.
His trip to Africa was nothing but a insult ,Here is how: he went to  Ghana on a  week end at night fall, wearing a simple shirt as if it was  a  promenade on  a beach.
If South Africa wants  to take pride in this trip, so be it. The rest of  us do not want to naive anymore.  Enough  is enough.
Re: Welcome Home Ms Michelle Obama. Welcome To South Africa by morpheus24: 2:41pm On Jun 22, 2011
RSA:

That is so low Morph,jealousy is a serious disease.

Ps, What's the difference between suicide bombers,religous war and xenophobic violence? No difference.Lets all count the corpes and see who'll will loose count.

No differences really, just like to highlight your countries problems from time to time as it seems other Africans like highlighting ours.

Lesson: We can focus on the postive things we do or we can focus on the negative.
Re: Welcome Home Ms Michelle Obama. Welcome To South Africa by RSA(m): 4:06pm On Jun 22, 2011
morpheus24:

No differences really, just like to highlight your countries problems from time to time as it seems other Africans like highlighting ours.
But it is an open secret that Nigeria just like its population have the biggest problems in Africa,there for it's not a suprise when 'other Africans like highlighting your problems',

morpheus24:

Lesson: We can focus on the postive things we do or we can focus on the negative.

So you decided to focus on negatives things in South Africa,Ok I see.I would be a better man and focus on the positives things in Nigeria.How is that?
Re: Welcome Home Ms Michelle Obama. Welcome To South Africa by MyJoe: 4:55pm On Jun 22, 2011
PhysicsMHD:

lmao grin grin

The contrast is hilarious. . . grin

Yeah. We like our women big in Africa. Got any problems with that? grin
Re: Welcome Home Ms Michelle Obama. Welcome To South Africa by morpheus24: 6:06pm On Jun 22, 2011
RSA:

But it is an open secret that Nigeria just like its population have the biggest problems in Africa,there for it's not a suprise when 'other Africans like highlighting your problems',

The reference to size in problems is of course in correlation to its population size so look at it in more oa a relative term compared to other African countries will ya?

RSA:

So you decided to focus on negatives things in South Africa,Ok I see.I would be a better man and focus on the positives things in Nigeria.How is that?

What positive things have you commented on about Naija in the near past. Can't remember any of it>
Re: Welcome Home Ms Michelle Obama. Welcome To South Africa by JeSoul(f): 8:33pm On Jun 22, 2011
MyJoe:

Yeah. We like our women big in Africa. Got any problems with that? grin
  grin LOL . . . no wonder I had to leave, I won't fit at all at all grin

panafrican:

Hypocrisy. Why is she coming to Africa right now  ? because elections are looming in the USA !!!  this is the truth !
Hmm . . . maybe I'm slow today but I'm failing to see how Michelle's trip to SA actually helps Obama in the 2012 elections? Infact I would think the opposite - another costly trip on the taxpayers dime.

Her  hypocrit  husband and herself  spent  all  their time going to France, and other parts  of Europe after  he was elected.
His trip to Africa was nothing but a insult ,Here is how: he went to  Ghana on a  week end at night fall, wearing a simple shirt as if it was  a  promenade on  a beach.
If South Africa wants  to take pride in this trip, so be it. The rest of  us do not want to naive anymore.  Enough  is enough.
Lol  grin grin grin grin grin kai! this boy, you vex oh. lol. What should Obama have worn to Ghana? 3-piece suit? grin in all that heat? so he can sweating like a goat? Abeg go siddon jor. He's America's president and will travel to countries that concern the interests of Obama. Anything else na jara  grin

@topic. I love Michelle Obama. Pure black woman, smart, strong, sophisticated & doesn't take no nonsense from noborri.

1 Like

Re: Welcome Home Ms Michelle Obama. Welcome To South Africa by Azania2(f): 10:45am On Aug 11, 2011
morpheus24

LOL morpheus, when it comes to hating S.A you win hands down! There should be a price on NL for this, really, this deserves some recognition.

I don't think anything bad you say about S.A will erase or take away all the good we've achieved. Keep hating while we keep growing. wink

1 Like

Re: Welcome Home Ms Michelle Obama. Welcome To South Africa by morpheus24: 2:25pm On Aug 11, 2011
Azania2:

morpheus24

LOL morpheus, when it comes to hating S.A you win hands down! There should be a price on NL for this, really, this deserves some recognition.

I don't think anything bad you say about S.A will erase or take away all the good we've achieved. Keep hating while we keep growing. wink

I don't hate SA, just hate ignorant stupid people that live in South Africa.

How can I hate the land of Madiba, thats unfathomnable
Re: Welcome Home Ms Michelle Obama. Welcome To South Africa by Azania2(f): 3:16pm On Aug 11, 2011
Land of Madiba or not, you just love to hate mzansi period and I have seen this in 90% of your posts on S.A issues. I think you'd be one of the people that can rejoice should anything bad happen to mzansi.

We are not ignorant, the problem with you and some of your brothers is that you hate it when South Africans stand up for their country. It bothers you that we are proud of what we've achieved.
whenever there is praise about how far the country has come, you are quick to point out our past which you know very well we are not proud of, whether it be apartheid (which you love so much) or xenophobia (which really gives you the kicks) you just love rubbing it in our faces but it's cool though coz it's your right as a Nairalander to do that.

The fact that Nigeria has had independence decades ago and it's still where it is (most educated in africa or not) and S.A is only 17 years old and has achieved more than it was imaginable is driving you crazy, especially when the like of RSA, Yoruba and Mpele point this out.LOL I understand!

It is not only you, I just love reading your posts, I really do because in the midst of all the anger you really make a lot of sense to me. I always try to look at both sides and I know some of the things that my people say sometimes do come across as arrogant but it is mostly due to them defending what you guys post here about south africans.

South africans are lovely people, whether NL agrees to this or not and we are very informed and alert of the things that happen in our country and around us.

Please list the things that we re ignorant about.

1 Like

Re: Welcome Home Ms Michelle Obama. Welcome To South Africa by morpheus24: 3:50pm On Aug 11, 2011
Azania2:

Land of Madiba or not, you just love to hate mzansi period and I have seen this in 90% of your posts on S.A issues. I think you'd be one of the people that can rejoice should anything bad happen to mzansi.
In the spirit of UBUNTU. It would be unlike me to be happy to see any African country fall.

Azania2:

We are not ignorant, the problem with you and some of your brothers is that you hate it when South Africans stand up for their country. It bothers you that we are proud of what we've achieved.
whenever there is praise about how far the country has come, you are quick to point out our past which you know very well we are not proud of, whether it be apartheid (which you love so much) or xenophobia (which really gives you the kicks) you just love rubbing it in our faces but it's cool though coz it's your right as a Nairalander to do that.
There's a method to my madness my dear fellow. When SA's who come on here and the ones I have met point out the evils of less than 1% of the entire Nigerian Population in their country without conceptualizing it in a more wholistic educated way, that is by far a display of sheer ignorance. Greater than 50% of the African sotries on CNN is on successful and inspiring Nigerians who are making great impacts in the world yet they are 54 countries in Africa. Go figure?

It's disgraceful and sickening what I hear some of your brothers say on several forums. Each time that vile crap comes out of their mouths my mind conjures up scenes of average poor Nigerians on the streets of lagos STRUGGLING to survive without prejudice and without the utmost thought of stealing, killing or committing any evils born out of desperation. The creation of a thriving movie industry basically out of nothing to become an envy of other African nations,THe enterprising mother who wakes up everyday refusing to sit lazy and idol because her government has failed her, scraping out a living each day oblivious of what an average ignorant SA has setteled in their minds what they define as an AVERAGE Nigerian is like.

These people are defenless against such ignorant cyber thugs and low IQ'd numskulls like Mpele because they have no voice outside of these confines.

Azania2:

The fact that Nigeria has had independence decades ago and it's still where it is (most educated in africa or not) and S.A is only 17 years old and has achieved more than it was imaginable is driving you crazy, especially when the like of RSA, Yoruba and Mpele point this out.LOL I understand!
Thats a dumb conclusion if I might say and that point can be argued on relative terms . You don't want to get into that with me. In terms of developmental comparisons, Nigeria and South Africa cannot be compared in relative terms. Contrary to your insight, SA is not 17 years old in terms of its economic, social and developmental aspects. if you are talking about political achievements then thats a valid arguement.

Azania2:

It is not only you, I just love reading your posts, I really do because in the midst of all the anger you really make a lot of sense to me. I always try to look at both sides and I know some of the things that my people say sometimes do come across as arrogant but it is mostly due to them defending what you guys post here about south africans.

South africans are lovely people, whether NL agrees to this or not and we are very informed and alert of the things that happen in our country and around us.

Please list the things that we re ignorant about.

I have worked for many an NGO in SA travelilng to several places there so I aint one of these ignorant Nigerians that speak from their A.z.z. There is an overwhelming underlying resentment towards Nigerians( ofcourse i will acknowledge part of the blame is on the Nigerian side as well) and other immigrants in your society born from ignorance and a lack of empathy or understanding of the African continent as a whole. Only now are some beginning to understand the dynamics that exist within the continent while others are busy wallowing in their nationalistic ignorance and self entitiled propagandaism claiming victories and achievements that their generations practically had nothing to do with
Re: Welcome Home Ms Michelle Obama. Welcome To South Africa by Azania2(f): 4:45pm On Aug 11, 2011
ohk, point taken. To sum everything up: you are like this towards South Africans because of what they say about Nigerians that live in South africa?.

You can't exactly blame them. some of the things that they say about our fellow african brothers (Nigerians) are true. You see we do have a huge problem of drugs in this country and I do acknowledge that our youths are not forced by anyone to use drugs but the suppliers are also not backing down. Most of these suppliers are Nigerians, it is unfortunate but it is true. This is a fact that doesn't sit well with you but we are really having a problem with Nigerians coming here and supplying drugs to people. of course we can't entirely blame you for our drug problem but as fellow Africans, you are not helping the situation here.
Put your self in the saffers shoes and tell me boldly that you wouldn't mind if a foreigner comes to your shores and start destroying your youths,

That said, we are wise enough to know that not all Nigerians are drug lords or Pimps, this is just a stereotype that is held not only by some south African's but by other parts of the world as well (Please Google this). We do know that Nigerians are far in terms of Education and it is not only Nigeria that has poor people, we also have plenty of people in this country (You should know this since you've worked for an NGO in Mzansi)

But then you are also not very different from the things you are accusing us of. Every opportunity you get, you state how we are ignorant and Lazy but as a grown up, I trust you know that this is just stereo typing S.A citizens. You do know that a black man in S.A really works hard for the things that they have and also in building this country.
You see South Africans are not lazy or dumb or uneducated like you enjoy to imply, we are educated as well and we work hard. You should see the number of Black people in our Universities and you'll change your perception about us.
We are not perfect but we are trying. There is no harm in being proud.

We do not resent Nigerians, no we don't. we just don't like the ones that sell drugs to our already junky youth. It is not true that we hate you. We have never complained about you guys coming down here or have we? we have never beaten or killed you guys like you are trying to pint out. Ask any Nigerian that lives in S.A if they have ever been threatened by any south african.
The only Nigerians that are harassed by the police are the ones that manufacture and sell drugs here. I don't have to apologize or explain to you because you know that what I am saying is true.

It is also disgraceful and sickening what I hear some of your bothers say about south Africans, raising apartheid every opportunity they get. We have lost a lot of good innocent people through apartheid but you guys try to throw it around as if we deserved it or something. We are still very young in this new south africa and we are healing. The last thing we need is for a fellow african to laugh in our faces as if we are a disgrace to Africa and deserved what we got.
It is really amazing how insensitive you are regarding our history.
Imagine if I were to use your history against you. How will it make you feel if people can carelessly start discussing some of the worst things that happened in Nigeria in the late 70s.
If it really makes you happy then I guess who am I to question.

anyway, each to their own. It won't change the fact that we are all Africans at the end of the day. Not just Africans but Africans full of ugly History.
Re: Welcome Home Ms Michelle Obama. Welcome To South Africa by RSA(m): 11:38am On Aug 12, 2011
^Azania when I started commenting on this forum I came with olive leafs in both my hands,I wanted to make peace.As much as we didn't understand Africa I felt that we are also misunderstood by Africa.I was trying to explain and then every body jumped on me calling me and my countrymen names.

Nigerians are born with hatred and jealousy,it is in their DNA.If they don't hate their countrymen eg.Hausa and Igbho,or Yoruba and Igbo then they hate other Africans who are doing better than them eg.Ghana,South Africa or East Africans like Kenya.

Nigeria have the potential to be one the most succesful country in the world,but their people are cursed.They hate mass progress,they are controlled by 'Big man mentality',they all think they know even if they knows nothing.It's a desease and I doubt it has a cure.

1 Like

Re: Welcome Home Ms Michelle Obama. Welcome To South Africa by Azania2(f): 1:11pm On Aug 12, 2011
RSA:

^Azania when I started commenting on this forum I came with olive leafs in both my hands,I wanted to make peace.As much as we didn't understand Africa I felt that we are also misunderstood by Africa.I was trying to explain and then every body jumped on me calling me and my countrymen names.

I don't know, maybe Africa (let me not put Africa in this because I can see that it is particularly Nigeria) expected us to behave in a certain way after we got our democracy. It could be that they wanted to babysit us or they expected us to rid the country of every white man remaining and struggle off our feet like most others. It is a bit confusing where this hate and anger comes from, I really don't understand it.
Maybe we are not listening to them or their cries or maybe we aren't willing to give them a chance, It is a psychological thing and it is deep.
Somehow we are not allowed to be happy about our Heritage or unity as a country. One of the things we do best in this country is Social Cohesion, it Brings unity, love and understanding of other countrymen and Africans as well. I recommend that Nigeria adopts this, It works wonders in restoring the nation pride.

I was surprised that some nairalanders were against us hosting the world cup. It baffled me how quick they were to side with Europe when they were demanding a plan B. and then there was this BRICS thing which many say we don't deserve to be part of and other numerous threads on S.A where most NL posts are really negative in issues of S.A. I must point out that it is not all of them but many are like that on this forum.

RSA:

Nigerians are born with hatred and jealousy,it is in their DNA.If they don't hate their countrymen eg.Hausa and Igbho,or Yoruba and Igbo then they hate other Africans who are doing better than them eg.Ghana,South Africa or East Africans like Kenya.

Please don't say this because no one is born with hate or envy, it is bad habits that one learns while growing up. I do understand the tensions and lack of love of Nigerian tribes. I really wish they could see beyond themselves and understand other people instead of bashing them every chance available.
I have read a lot of your posts and that of Yoruba, Mpele, SAgodess, S.Alady and S.ALuv and I could see how you guys were defending south africa and the brothers were not willing to hear any of it.
It is not all Nigerians who are like this though. Some of Nairalanders (nigerians) do acknowledge the truth when they see it. They are not easily fooled by their fellow countrymen who are blinded by anger and patriotism so much that they hate the sight of a happy Ghanaian, South African or whoever they feel is beneath them.

RSA link=topic=695428.msg8907496#msg8907496 date=1313145500:

Nigeria have the potential to be one the most succesful country in the world,but their people are cursed.They hate mass progress,they are controlled by 'Big man mentality',they all think they know even if they knows nothing.It's a desease and I doubt it has a cure.

Considering the population they have, they should be super power of Africa. there is a lot of examples of countries with that massive population who are doing really well. With Nigeria is not a matter of them being cursed (LOL how did you get to this conclusion) it is pure daylight corruption. Greed is what is killing the progress of the great Naija. This is nobody's fault but theirs.
I once asked some duffus Nigerian guy who was bragging on Big brother forum that they have billionaires in Nigeria who are richer than any man in Africa if he is happy that they have a handful of billionaire and millions of poor hungry people. To me this showed how some people think and Africa can never move forward if we have this monopolistic mentality about our riches as a continent.

One thing I am really proud of as a South African is that we are not bullied by a government. If we are not happy about the delivery or corruption of any kind, we express ourselves. Yebo! we strike to correct the mistake of our Government. Maybe its got something to do with our laws that allow people to express themselves and participate in Government issues and progress.
We have so many tribes here but we work together because we understand the vision of this country. Who wouldn't love S.A mara? we are a country full of possibilities and endless opportunities. We are diverse but at the same time we are united. There is no tribalism happening here. Our heroes fought the struggle together: Tswana, Sotho, Pedi, Zulu, Tsonga, Xhosa, English, Afrikaans, Indian, Ndebele etc and after the struggle we all united.

A country with no vision is as good as dead.
Re: Welcome Home Ms Michelle Obama. Welcome To South Africa by RSA(m): 3:08pm On Aug 12, 2011
^^^I could smell Morpheus,he is about to hit this thread,
That guy can answer'o! any ting South Africa he dey talk'o grin grin
Re: Welcome Home Ms Michelle Obama. Welcome To South Africa by nolongTing: 4:20pm On Aug 12, 2011
RSA:

why are you and @Azania on this forum if Nigerians are hopeless and cursed?
Re: Welcome Home Ms Michelle Obama. Welcome To South Africa by MyJoe: 4:31pm On Aug 12, 2011
JeSoul:

grin LOL . . . no wonder I had to leave, I won't fit at all at all grin
Ha. The fattening houses of Calabar are still open naa! You will be sequestered for just one week, and then you will be fit to be an African wife sharp sharp! grin

RSA:

Oh, dear! shocked
Re: Welcome Home Ms Michelle Obama. Welcome To South Africa by morpheus24: 2:27pm On Aug 15, 2011
RSA:

Ahhhh. I am not gonna waste my breath on this one eh!

I will however repeat this for the one million and oneth time. If South Africa goes up or down, it does not remove a hair from my head nor goes it rock the path of my existence

To observe and comment on a country within the context of Africa is simply that. no more no less.

So please you guys should get off your high ethnocentric horses will ya.
Re: Welcome Home Ms Michelle Obama. Welcome To South Africa by havoc37(m): 8:45am On Aug 18, 2011
Oh wow, I didn't know she was in South Africa.
Re: Welcome Home Ms Michelle Obama. Welcome To South Africa by jayonpoint(m): 1:25pm On Oct 05, 2014
The problems of Nigeria is home made. Cowardice is the moderate of the game. An ordinary nigerian dnt believe in naija n its nt their fault bt the politcal elites who only help themselves with nations treasury @ the xpense of poor majority. Nigeria shld hv all it takes to lead Africa n compete with the rest of the world's leaders bt what are we? modslider n landlocked. Its a shame! A country where political offices is for highest bidder..sharing clothes,money n its equivalen just steal pples votes n disappear until after fours yrs again. The nigerian youths are the most cowardice on earth. I wonder, if we need more evidence than we see on daily basis in countrires where it takes protest n revolution of unionism as a forcing tools for political stability. We allowed our govts sthrive by the day, swims n lampoon in corruption n therefore mortgage the future of our youths n all we do best is cry baby n blames others for our own self inflicted problems. If ur home isn't organized, there can't never b a reference point outside our the shore. Its painful though, the experience n trauma many nigerians goes thru in neighboring countries is pathetic. An ordinary nigerian wld preferred to die in SA than die in Nigeria under alternation. So, the hustling spirits of nigerians abroad is envious. Its unfort8 our population shld be a blessing nt a curse bt the opposite is the case n the only solution is to be united against a common enemy. It baffles me, when we as a people hate ourselves so much so that we throw brimstone @ 1another n spit hates. Yoruba, igbo n hausa, in the struggle for independence were united in one voice like brothers n sisters bt today reverse is d case. We the youths hv got job to do...let's do it if nt for ourselves can do it for our yet unborn generation. After all some gave up their lives for the independence we nw enjoy, we also can do it n acting it is the solutions nt blaming those who mock our effortlessnes to make a good country for ourselves...South Africans n other african countries, let's be out brothers keeper n luv one anoda..there's nowhere we can call our own if nt Africa n there's nowhere we can run in trouble tyms if nt Africa n that circumstances isn't peculiar to one bt all of us.

(1) (Reply)

Chicago's Wasted Generation Of Illiterate Black Men / Throwback Of Zelenskyy As A Performer / US And Uk Ready For Air Strike In Syria As Russia And China Defend

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 117
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.