Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,165,414 members, 7,861,165 topics. Date: Saturday, 15 June 2024 at 05:09 AM

Christmas In Calabar (Best Christmas Ever!!) - Literature - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Entertainment / Literature / Christmas In Calabar (Best Christmas Ever!!) (899 Views)

Christmas In The Village (Episode 1) / Invest In Properties In Calabar, Cross River State / The Tangled Circle Of A Calabar Boy (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Christmas In Calabar (Best Christmas Ever!!) by frankwriter(m): 12:20pm On Jan 26, 2022
***Christmas In Calabar***

Written by yours truly, FrankWriter.

Last year's Christmas was my best so far and below is how it went.
I hope you enjoy this story.

______

When last semester exams was over, while everyone else went home for holidays and vacation, my uncle called earlier and informed me about the crisis going on in Borno state. Some houses and cars were burnt beyond recognition. While some folks were abducted, others were shot dead. Even before his call came, I had seen gruesome pictures of several victims on Twitter and Facebook. It was terrifying.

My uncle and his family lived in Maiduguri the state capital, and it was unsafe for anyone to travel to Borno during that period.
Travelling to my village was the least thing I ever considered. The last experience I had over there was hellish, so I couldn't afford to repeat it. The fact that my uncle and his family won’t be coming home made me loose interest completely.

So, I said I was going to stay back in school for Christmas and new year holidays. Strange, isn't it?
Well, I already had it planned on my head. I drafted out places I'd visit on 25th, 29th and 1st of January; one of them was a music concert.

It would surely be first of it kind. I never stayed back in school during festive season – and I don't think anyone else would prefer staying back in school, but I was left with that option.
You might be wondering why I detested going to my village, well, that would be story for another day.
I watched students gradually eloped by the day, and our lodge got emptied daily. Eziobodo equally became dry and scanty.

Did I forget to introduce myself? Damn! My bad. Pardon my manners, I was only curious to share my experience during the yuletide season.

[Clears throat...]
I'm Eric. A third year student at Federal University Of Technology, Owerri. I am what you might like to call alika. Truth is, I'm skinny and tall. The only child of my late parents. Yes, I’m an orphan and I have lived most of my life in North with my paternal uncle and his family. And I must confess, it hasn’t been an easy ride. As you go on to read my epistle, you’d surely get to know more about Eric.

Fast forward to 21st December, the campus and off campus became empty and dry. There were just two students left in our lodge; Veronica and I. She was one of those people I hardly talk to. We didn't just have anything in common, and most times we passed by without saying hi to each other.

It was around 5:30pm, while I was climbing the staircase, she stood at the balcony staring outside the building. The sun had gone down and the weather was cold outside.

"Eric, you're still in school? Don't you want to go home?" She said when she sighted me.

She finally called me by name. I just smiled and walked towards her direction.
"Not like I don't want to travel, but I don't have anywhere to go," I said and paused.

"What do you mean by you don't have anywhere to go?" She was awed by my response. The manner at which she stared at me said it all.

"You won't understand...,"
"Then, make me understand better.
"Ain't you travelling?" I moved closer and leaned against the pillar.
"First thing 23rd morning, I'm out of this place," she replied speedily.
"You'll leave me all alone in this place?" I said smiling.
"Of course, this is not my father's house. You wanna come with me?" She added jokingly.
We busted into laughter. And for the first time Vero and I were actually talking and laughing out loud. She seemed amazing and fun to be with.

She insisted I tell her why I chose to stay back in school for the holidays. "Don't you have a family?" She enquired.
At this point, I was left with no option than to open up to her about my plight. But one thing I refused telling her was the reason I detested visiting my hometown.

"Eric, I understand you quite alright, but this place is not safe during holidays. Oftentimes, they break into people's lodge and stuffs like that..."
She went on to give me reasons I should consider going home.
"Don't worry about me Vero, I'll be fine." I pretended like I love the idea of staying back in school.

"Well, if you say so, I wish you all the best," she said, her legs mechanically leading her to her room.
"Thank you." I grinned.
"How about you come with me to my hometown?" She turned and queried.
"You're joking, aren't you?" I laughed.
"No. I'm not."
"That was strange if you ask me."
"What's strange? Coming to stay with my family and I for two weeks or less?"
"Exactly. Like, I'm just a total stranger. Don't even know you from Adams."
"I get your point, but where I come from, we do weird and crazy stuff. My parents wouldn't mind if I tell them your story. Besides, I have brothers you could mingle with."

Vero was beginning to sound serious. I thought she was catching cruise but no, she was really serious. Deep down I knew it wouldn't happen. Like, where would I tell my uncle I'm going to? My uncle would think I have joined bad company.

"I know you are surprised. But just give it a thought while I tell my parents about your coming to spend the yuletide with us. I'm sure he would be delighted to have you if I tell him about the crisis in Borno, where you guys lived," she paused.
Still perplexed, I just smiled sheepishly. Vero went into her room and locked the door.

Throughout the night, I kept pondering the possibility of spending Christmas and new year in another man's abode. My uncle would surely be disappointed if I ever come up with such idea.
_____

The following day, I was woken up by my uncle’s call.
"Hello uncle, good morning. "
"Eric kedu?"
"Fine sir."
"When are you leaving for village?"
I was mute for few seconds, I didn't know what was best to answer.
"Helloo, are you there?" Came his thick voice.
"Erm, tomorrow or next," I blabbed.
"What are you still doing in school? You're not even sure when you're leaving?" He queried in one breathe.

"I don't think I'll be going to that village this year," I finally summoned courage and he was surprised by my response.
"Wonderful, then get ready to celebrate it in school. Well, tomorrow I'll send you transport fare," he said, and before I could say Jack, he hanged up.

"This man thinks I'm joking," I muttered and rose sluggishly from bed. I went about my morning rituals. I was brushing my teeth when I heard someone knocked at the door. I paused and waited to be sure it was coming from my own room. It came the second time and this time louder.

"Yes, who's there?" I dropped my cup of water and headed towards the door. There was only one person in my mind — your guess is as good as mine, Veronica.
When finally I opened the door, Mr. Harrison, the caretaker was standing like a soldier.

"Goo- Good morning," I suddenly stammered.
"Eric, when are you leaving?" He queried.
"Um, let's say tomorrow or next."
"Tomorrow is 23rd, and I'll be back to lock up the hostel as directed by the landlord." He turned and left. I was going to tell him I might stay back but just then, Vero came out of her room.

"What did he say?" She asked.
"Good morning."
"Oh! Sorry. Forgive my manners. Good morning. How was your night?"
"Not bad and yours?"
"It was fine." She stared into my eyes. I couldn't maintain the eye contact, so I quickly averted my eyes. I knew she was waiting to hear what Mr. Harrison said.

"He said he'll be here tomorrow to lock the hostel."
"And what was your response? Did you tell him you will be staying back?"
"Erm, Erm...," I stuttered.
"I know you didn't. Well, I told my parents about your plight last night and trust me, they're excited to have a visitor from my school." She said and paused.

"Vero, you don't need to do this. Like, how?
"Ain't you gonna tell me to come inside?" She smiled.
"Sure, why not? Come in."
We walked in while I locked the door.

"So, finally, I'm in your room for the first," she smiled.
"Such is life, and sadly I don't have anything to offer you," I said smiling too.
"It's okay. Just get your things ready. Tomorrow morning, we move."
"Ahhhh!"
"Ah, what? You want to stay here all alone? Don't forget Mr. Harrison will be locking up here tomorrow. "

"Funnily enough, you haven't even told me where you came from."
"Calabar! I'm from Cross river state."
"Come to Calabar and you will never regret you visited," she boasted.
I just smiled and twisted my fingers like the typical shy dude I am.

Vero went on and on to tell me how beautiful Calabar is, and different beautiful places we could visit. Lots of thoughts rushed through my head saying this and that.
Vero spent approximately an hour trying to convince me—she said her parents wouldn't mind as long as I don't do something stupid and silly.
When she was done, she said I should be sure I won't regret ever coming to Calabar.
Despite all of these, I still felt it was weird coming home with a guy. I knew crazy and strange things happens but where I come from, you dare not try this.

While I had my breakfast (tea and bread) I began to rethink over all what she said. I have never been to Calabar and from the way she described it, I was moved badly.

________

23rd December

It was around 7:15 am when we left the hostel. I had my few clothes and accessories well arranged in my small bag. Yes, my mind was made up to do something new and weird at the same time. My major concern was how my uncle wouldn't get to know I actually didn't stay back in school nor travelled to villa. Vero had suggested I lie to them that I travelled to the village, but hell no, that would surely implicate me. My uncle would find out, he would call my grandma and she wouldn't hesitate to tell him I didn't come.

So, I concluded I would tell him I stayed back in school, hence school would resume first week of January. I'm sure he wouldn't mind but I’m sure his wife would surely be worried.

We got to Egbu around 8:30am, the weather was cold, harmattan air was out and blowing. I was on my thick jacket while Vero was looking stunning on her vintage shirt and blue trouser. She had her eye brows well carved and painted. She was really looking gorgeous.

We headed towards the park, and there were about five passengers already seated in the bus. I still had some cash with me, so while she was buying her ticket, I got mine too. It was 4,300 naira from Owerri to Calabar. We paid and hopped into the white air conditioned bus. I sat at the second row while she sat right behind me in the third row.

Truth be told, I was nervous and couldn't believe I finally succumbed to Vero's plea. Could it be she bewitched me?
11:05am, the bus got filled. I bent down and said a quick prayer. The driver ignited the vehicle and we zoomed off.

To be continued...
©️FrankWriter1

Twitter and IG: frankwriter1
#storyteller
Re: Christmas In Calabar (Best Christmas Ever!!) by frankwriter(m): 12:27pm On Jan 26, 2022
Part 2

After about  45 minutes drive, my phone beeped. I quickly placed my forefinger behind my phone and it unlocked in a second.
There was a dim smile on my face when I opened the message and found out it was a credit alert from my Kuda account.  It was from my uncle — a whooping 40k.
It had "Merry Christmas" as narration.  I couldn't contain my joy.  There's this joy that comes with credit alert.  It kinda boasted my confidence and it made me feel better and relaxed.
__
     An hour into our trip, I began to feel dizzy. My eyes became heavy but I desperately needed to keep my head up. I tried logging into Twitter but network was very bad, so I quickly clicked on my audiomack app and searched for Phyno's newly released album, I plugged in my earphone and relaxed to enjoy the rhythm.
Vero was behind me, probably surfing the net with her S8. Just then, my phone rang, and it was my uncle calling. My  heart skipped. The bus was a bit lousy with passengers having argument over Biafra agitation. Definitely not  the best background to pick his call. I ignored it and it came ringing the second time, I refused  picking up. I already  knew why he was calling.

"Who was that and why weren't you picking up?" Vero queried from behind.
"My uncle."
"Wawu! Are you going to tell him now?"
"No. I'll call him when we alight."
"Okay. That's cool."

That was the last thing I ever remembered before I eventually dozed off while the music still blasted my ears.
Suddenly, I was woken up by the loud screeching of the bus.
"Jesus.. Oh! My God." Passengers shouted. Fear gripped me when I saw everyone screaming for help.  My heart was beating faster and I was totally dumbfounded. I saw the driver struggling with the steering, trying to put the bus to a halt.
     Long story short, it collided with another car by the roadside and finally halted.
People already gathered round the bus, trying to see if we survived.  My head ached badly, my waist was all pain and my heart thudding against my ribs. The bus was eventually opened by the passersby – and we managed to come down.
Vero was shedding tears, I rushed and asked if she was wounded or perhaps had severe pains in any part of her body. She held her chest firmly but didn't utter a word.
"What's the problem?" I further asked.
Some of the  passengers stared at us while some were conscious of their bags and luggage. This was happening around  6:05pm or so, it was evening and I had no knowledge of our location.

I never knew Vero was an asthmatic patient until she slumped, and luckily, someone behind her was quick to hold her down. This time I was going crazy.  Like why did I even embark on this journey, and what if this girl dies? Wetin I go tell  my uncle? Lots of thoughts rushed through my head.
A certain young lady from the crowd rushed her and sat her upright. “Where’s her inhaler?” She screamed at me. I grabbed her bag like I kept one there, fortunately I found a blue one. The young lady loosen her bra from behind so as to give her some relief.  She took the reliever inhaler from me and encouraged her to take some puffs of the inhaler.
"God, please don't allow this girl to die." I was praying in my heart while my whole body shivered.
"Vero! Please, wake up," I said and held her warmth hand. I could still see her breathing, and that gave me hope.
“Relax, she’ll be fine,” replied the damsel. 
     Moment later, she coughed and her eyes opened.  I heaved a big sigh of relief. "Thank you,  Jesus," I muttered.
She stood lost and exhausted. I walked closer and asked if she was fine,  she nodded head in affirmation. I exhaled heavily.
“Thank you, ma. God bless you,” Vero turned to the lady.
“You’re Welcome, my dear.”
_____
        The driver as well as the two passengers at the front seat were badly injured; they were rushed to the nearest pharmacy before they were taken to the hospital, just like we were told. The bus was eventually pulled out of the tarred road by some boys and few of the passengers. The front part was badly damaged.
Gradually, the sun went down completely, twinkle stars dotted the sky. All the passengers began to find means to continue their journey. Vero and I stood by the roadside hoping to see a cab or perhaps another affordable bus heading to Calabar. According to her, we were almost close,  just a few distance.
 My phone rang, and when I checked, it was my uncle calling again. I knew he must be worried. I quickly ran to a serene corner.
“Why haven’t you been picking up?” He queried in a loud tone.
“I’m sorry, I haven’t been with my phone, I was charging it at a nearby shop.” I lied.
“Did you recei….,”
“Yes, I got the alert,” I cut in quickly.
“Thank you, so much,” I added.
“You said you ain’t travelling to the village?”
“Erm, yes.”
The next I heard was tuutuuh. The call ended. I guess his airtime got exhausted. I heaved a big sign of relief and hastily walked back to where Vero and other passengers stood.
“That was strange,” Vero broke the awkward silence.
“What was strange?” I asked, my eyes roved.
“I never knew we’d survive this terrible accident,” she said.
“My dear, it can only be God. What would have been the fate of my children waiting for my arrival?” said one of the  passengers; a woman in her late forties, judging from her look.
I was dumbfounded. Vero felt parts of her body with her right palm just to see if she sustained any injury.
When I turned, I saw one Sienna applying break and eventually stopped before us.
“Two persons only,” signaled the driver from the front side. Vero and I quickly stepped forward with our bags.
“Come to the front,” the driver opened the front door. We hopped in and sat with one buttock, just to make ourselves comfortable. The cold wind of the night slithered in our body and I sighed slowly.
 The driver ignited his engine and we zoomed off. I gazed at Vero, her eyes were closing. About thirty minutes later, the driver navigated towards an untarred road. Both left and right side of the road stood tall trees and green leafs. I suddenly felt a strange wave – there was this feeling of being in the wrong vehicle. My eye caught the driver, the way he looked at us made it look like he was up to something. I quickly tapped Vero, her eyes opened and she turned towards me.
“Please, where are we? This place looks like a bush,” I said panicking. Fear already gripped me. Just the moment she tried to stare outside from the window side, a hand pulled her from behind.  Jeez! I turned and it was dawn on us we have been trapped by some hooligans. Vero was the only girl in the car – and there was actually space at the back unlike what the driver announced when he halted, but because it was dark, we barely noticed. 
“Cooperate with us and you’ll be fine,” the driver broke the long silence. My heart was beating faster like a lizard that fell from a tall tree. Vero had cold shivers running through her body. I silently prayed she doesn’t get to slump again. Cos I go kukuma faint join am.
Long story short, the driver drove a distance and stopped. They got down from the car, about four of them.
“Come down!” one of them ordered.
Vero was shivering badly but we managed to alight. One of them walked up to us and demanded for our phones. Sluggishly, I acted like I had no phone with me until one tear me slap from behind. Omo! No be person say make I commot my phone give them. Vero calmly handed them hers.  “Remember, if you cooperate with us you’ll be fine,” the driver reminded.
Having gone through our phones, they forced us to transfer the money in our accounts and— surprisingly they had a POS machine. We lost our phones, money, and other valuables they forcefully took from us.  Vero was fortunate enough not to have been molested nor raped. Things could have gone worst.
I couldn’t just understand how our journey got worsen. First, we collided with car and not long after, we got robbed. I was so broken. My village would have been a better choice – I began to regret my decision. I was pained to the bone marrow.
Funnily enough, they drove us back to the tarred road and asked us to come down. One of them popped out his head, “Merry Christmas in advance,” he said, smiling sheepishly. They accelerated speedily.
Vero and I stood confused and stranded by the roadside. Cars and trucks swooshed past. Night birds chirped, and half moon illuminated, giving its light freely.
Vero hissed at intervals. No one said anything to each other. Suddenly, our eyes got locked in contact, and I felt like letting out the anger boiling in me but I couldn’t just help than to remain calm. If only she could read my mind. I stood there like an electric pole while she wandered around like a ghost.
Not long, we saw a police Hilux coming our way. The header light flashed on our faces.  Vero stepped out and waved down at them. Surprisingly, they were kind enough to halt. She walked straight to the front door, and before she could utter a word, tears trickled down her cheeks.
“What happened?” enquired one of the officer.
“Erm, we-we were just robbed not long ago,” She wiped her tears.
“Where?” asked one of the officer.
“Over there,” she pointed towards the direction.
They got talking while I observed from behind. Vero went on to narrate our ordeal to them. They began to interrogate her with “Where are you going to? Who’s that boy to you?” And all manner of annoying questions.
A few moment later, She signaled me to come with our bags. “Good evening sirs,” I saluted with a faint voice. One of them gave me that uneasy look; like I was a criminal or something similar. “What’s your name?” He eventually queried.
“Eric.” I replied lamely.
“Get in let’s go,” said the officer steering the Hilux.
And for the first time in my life, I saw a caring policemen ready to assist us. And while we rode, Vero showed them direction to our destination. To my utter amazement, they drove us down to Vero's street. Unbelievable! And that was how we safely arrived Calabar very late at night. The longest journey I ever embarked.

To be continued....
©️FrankWriter1

#storyteller

If you are following, please drop a comment. Abeg!!!

1 Like

Re: Christmas In Calabar (Best Christmas Ever!!) by Whale95: 1:21pm On Jan 26, 2022
frankwriter:
Part 2

After about  45 minutes drive, my phone beeped. I quickly placed my forefinger behind my phone and it unlocked in a second.
There was a dim smile on my face when I opened the message and found out it was a credit alert from my Kuda account.  It was from my uncle — a whooping 40k.
It had "Merry Christmas" as narration.  I couldn't contain my joy.  There's this joy that comes with credit alert.  It kinda boasted my confidence and it made me feel better and relaxed.
__
     An hour into our trip, I began to feel dizzy. My eyes became heavy but I desperately needed to keep my head up. I tried logging into Twitter but network was very bad, so I quickly clicked on my audiomack app and searched for Phyno's newly released album, I plugged in my earphone and relaxed to enjoy the rhythm.
Vero was behind me, probably surfing the net with her S8. Just then, my phone rang, and it was my uncle calling. My  heart skipped. The bus was a bit lousy with passengers having argument over Biafra agitation. Definitely not  the best background to pick his call. I ignored it and it came ringing the second time, I refused  picking up. I already  knew why he was calling.

"Who was that and why weren't you picking up?" Vero queried from behind.
"My uncle."
"Wawu! Are you going to tell him now?"
"No. I'll call him when we alight."
"Okay. That's cool."

That was the last thing I ever remembered before I eventually dozed off while the music still blasted my ears.
Suddenly, I was woken up by the loud screeching of the bus.
"Jesus.. Oh! My God." Passengers shouted. Fear gripped me when I saw everyone screaming for help.  My heart was beating faster and I was totally dumbfounded. I saw the driver struggling with the steering, trying to put the bus to a halt.
     Long story short, it collided with another car by the roadside and finally halted.
People already gathered round the bus, trying to see if we survived.  My head ached badly, my waist was all pain and my heart thudding against my ribs. The bus was eventually opened by the passersby – and we managed to come down.
Vero was shedding tears, I rushed and asked if she was wounded or perhaps had severe pains in any part of her body. She held her chest firmly but didn't utter a word.
"What's the problem?" I further asked.
Some of the  passengers stared at us while some were conscious of their bags and luggage. This was happening around  6:05pm or so, it was evening and I had no knowledge of our location.

I never knew Vero was an asthmatic patient until she slumped, and luckily, someone behind her was quick to hold her down. This time I was going crazy.  Like why did I even embark on this journey, and what if this girl dies? Wetin I go tell  my uncle? Lots of thoughts rushed through my head.
A certain young lady from the crowd rushed her and sat her upright. “Where’s her inhaler?” She screamed at me. I grabbed her bag like I kept one there, fortunately I found a blue one. The young lady loosen her bra from behind so as to give her some relief.  She took the reliever inhaler from me and encouraged her to take some puffs of the inhaler.
"God, please don't allow this girl to die." I was praying in my heart while my whole body shivered.
"Vero! Please, wake up," I said and held her warmth hand. I could still see her breathing, and that gave me hope.
“Relax, she’ll be fine,” replied the damsel. 
     Moment later, she coughed and her eyes opened.  I heaved a big sigh of relief. "Thank you,  Jesus," I muttered.
She stood lost and exhausted. I walked closer and asked if she was fine,  she nodded head in affirmation. I exhaled heavily.
“Thank you, ma. God bless you,” Vero turned to the lady.
“You’re Welcome, my dear.”
_____
        The driver as well as the two passengers at the front seat were badly injured; they were rushed to the nearest pharmacy before they were taken to the hospital, just like we were told. The bus was eventually pulled out of the tarred road by some boys and few of the passengers. The front part was badly damaged.
Gradually, the sun went down completely, twinkle stars dotted the sky. All the passengers began to find means to continue their journey. Vero and I stood by the roadside hoping to see a cab or perhaps another affordable bus heading to Calabar. According to her, we were almost close,  just a few distance.
 My phone rang, and when I checked, it was my uncle calling again. I knew he must be worried. I quickly ran to a serene corner.
“Why haven’t you been picking up?” He queried in a loud tone.
“I’m sorry, I haven’t been with my phone, I was charging it at a nearby shop.” I lied.
“Did you recei….,”
“Yes, I got the alert,” I cut in quickly.
“Thank you, so much,” I added.
“You said you ain’t travelling to the village?”
“Erm, yes.”
The next I heard was tuutuuh. The call ended. I guess his airtime got exhausted. I heaved a big sign of relief and hastily walked back to where Vero and other passengers stood.
“That was strange,” Vero broke the awkward silence.
“What was strange?” I asked, my eyes roved.
“I never knew we’d survive this terrible accident,” she said.
“My dear, it can only be God. What would have been the fate of my children waiting for my arrival?” said one of the  passengers; a woman in her late forties, judging from her look.
I was dumbfounded. Vero felt parts of her body with her right palm just to see if she sustained any injury.
When I turned, I saw one Sienna applying break and eventually stopped before us.
“Two persons only,” signaled the driver from the front side. Vero and I quickly stepped forward with our bags.
“Come to the front,” the driver opened the front door. We hopped in and sat with one buttock, just to make ourselves comfortable. The cold wind of the night slithered in our body and I sighed slowly.
 The driver ignited his engine and we zoomed off. I gazed at Vero, her eyes were closing. About thirty minutes later, the driver navigated towards an untarred road. Both left and right side of the road stood tall trees and green leafs. I suddenly felt a strange wave – there was this feeling of being in the wrong vehicle. My eye caught the driver, the way he looked at us made it look like he was up to something. I quickly tapped Vero, her eyes opened and she turned towards me.
“Please, where are we? This place looks like a bush,” I said panicking. Fear already gripped me. Just the moment she tried to stare outside from the window side, a hand pulled her from behind.  Jeez! I turned and it was dawn on us we have been trapped by some hooligans. Vero was the only girl in the car – and there was actually space at the back unlike what the driver announced when he halted, but because it was dark, we barely noticed. 
“Cooperate with us and you’ll be fine,” the driver broke the long silence. My heart was beating faster like a lizard that fell from a tall tree. Vero had cold shivers running through her body. I silently prayed she doesn’t get to slump again. Cos I go kukuma faint join am.
Long story short, the driver drove a distance and stopped. They got down from the car, about four of them.
“Come down!” one of them ordered.
Vero was shivering badly but we managed to alight. One of them walked up to us and demanded for our phones. Sluggishly, I acted like I had no phone with me until one tear me slap from behind. Omo! No be person say make I commot my phone give them. Vero calmly handed them hers.  “Remember, if you cooperate with us you’ll be fine,” the driver reminded.
Having gone through our phones, they forced us to transfer the money in our accounts and— surprisingly they had a POS machine. We lost our phones, money, and other valuables they forcefully took from us.  Vero was fortunate enough not to have been molested nor raped. Things could have gone worst.
I couldn’t just understand how our journey got worsen. First, we collided with car and not long after, we got robbed. I was so broken. My village would have been a better choice – I began to regret my decision. I was pained to the bone marrow.
Funnily enough, they drove us back to the tarred road and asked us to come down. One of them popped out his head, “Merry Christmas in advance,” he said, smiling sheepishly. They accelerated speedily.
Vero and I stood confused and stranded by the roadside. Cars and trucks swooshed past. Night birds chirped, and half moon illuminated, giving its light freely.
Vero hissed at intervals. No one said anything to each other. Suddenly, our eyes got locked in contact, and I felt like letting out the anger boiling in me but I couldn’t just help than to remain calm. If only she could read my mind. I stood there like an electric pole while she wandered around like a ghost.
Not long, we saw a police Hilux coming our way. The header light flashed on our faces.  Vero stepped out and waved down at them. Surprisingly, they were kind enough to halt. She walked straight to the front door, and before she could utter a word, tears trickled down her cheeks.
“What happened?” enquired one of the officer.
“Erm, we-we were just robbed not long ago,” She wiped her tears.
“Where?” asked one of the officer.
“Over there,” she pointed towards the direction.
They got talking while I observed from behind. Vero went on to narrate our ordeal to them. They began to interrogate her with “Where are you going to? Who’s that boy to you?” And all manner of annoying questions.
A few moment later, She signaled me to come with our bags. “Good evening sirs,” I saluted with a faint voice. One of them gave me that uneasy look; like I was a criminal or something similar. “What’s your name?” He eventually queried.
“Eric.” I replied lamely.
“Get in let’s go,” said the officer steering the Hilux.
And for the first time in my life, I saw a caring policemen ready to assist us. And while we rode, Vero showed them direction to our destination. To my utter amazement, they drove us down to Vero's street. Unbelievable! And that was how we safely arrived Calabar very late at night. The longest journey I ever embarked.

To be continued....
©️FrankWriter1

#storyteller

If you are following, please drop a comment. Abeg!!!
oya update comrade. No worry Pussy dey wait for you there �‍♂️�‍♂️
Re: Christmas In Calabar (Best Christmas Ever!!) by frankwriter(m): 1:49pm On Jan 26, 2022
Whale95:
oya update comrade. No worry Pussy dey wait for you there �‍♂️�‍♂️

Lmao.
Re: Christmas In Calabar (Best Christmas Ever!!) by frankwriter(m): 1:54pm On Jan 26, 2022
Part 3

The street bubbled with excitements. Vero lead the way while I followed. There were street lights and it illuminated. Everywhere was booming. Loud music from unseen stereo. Teens ran here and there, engaging with fireworks challenge. The smell of banger (knockout) filled the air, and there were red and green Christmas lights at almost every shop we passed by––

When finally we got to the gate, her family were already outside with their hearts in their hands – they were all worried. A zoom at their faces showed how intense they were. Vero ran and embraced her mom, I guessed. A woman in her late fifties. She wore a blue gown.
“Vero, what happened? You got us worried, and none of your lines are going through again,” said Vero’s father, I supposed. He had pot belly but  young looking.
“Good evening sir; good evening ma,” I uttered in one breathe.
“Good evening, my son. My daughter already told us about you, you’re welcome,” said Vero’s mom.
“You’re welcome my dear,” her father added.
“Thank you, sir,” I replied. Both parents seemed friendly from the look of things, and that gave me some confidence.
 There were two other boys who stood beside her father.  I presumed them to be her brothers she earlier told me about.
“Daddy, it’s a long story. Eric and I went through hell today.. let’s get in first,” she exhaled. His brothers took our bags and lead the way to the building.

We got into the building and it was a great structure. A storey building (four bedroom flat). While we used the staircases, I was curious if her father actually owned the house or perhaps it was rented. When we got inside, my eyes saw wonders. Damn! The interior design was top-notch. I haven’t seen such a beauty!
Vero took me to the room shared by her two brothers. “If you need anything, feel free to ask either of them,” she said.  I nodded  head. “This is Ekong and the other big head is David.” We all laughed.

While I had my cool bath that night; water dripped on my head and I got flashes of everything that happened on our way –and I badly wished we boycotted that Sienna. “Merry Christmas” from one of them kept ringing on my head. It was an incident I’d surely not forget in a hurry.

“Eric, once again you’re welcome to our abode. Vero told me about what happened. I’m very sorry about the robbery.” Vero’s father melted my heart.  Did I forget to tell you that they speak their native language among themselves? Oh! Well, I was always lost each time they do. Calabar language sounds like full stop; kpom kpom, mkpo nkoto. [Laughs Out Loud]. Ekong promised to teach me some basics if only in return I teach him Igbo.

That night was the beginning of my merriment in Calabar. I was served with Afang soup and eba. I have heard people talked about Afang soup but never tasted it.
“Don’t worry, you’ll like it,” Vero assured when he noticed how nervous I was. Truth is, I ended up eating three wraps of eba. It was surely worth the hype and I was glad I ate a rich one with assorted meats.

It was really amazing how I got along with everyone in the house. David and his brother were interested to know how we got robbed by those hooligans. I took time to narrate our encounter and they were really terrified. That night we stayed up catching cruise. Ekong was quite calm unlike David who talked and talked till I slept off.
______
24 December
         It was around 10am when I sluggishly woke up from bed. The vigor of the long journey the previous day really sapped my strength.
 “Your breakfast is at the dinning table,” Ekong announced on seeing that I was up. I was supposed to be ashamed of myself for waking up late but they seemed unconcerned –they already made my breakfast. I felt loved and cared for. When I asked about Vero that morning, Ekong said she went to market to buy foodstuffs accompanied by their mom. Their father went out too. It was the trio of Ekong, David and I in the house.

Later in the day, I felt Christmas in the air. They were all back and the house bubbled with excitements. While Vero and her mom prepared dishes in the kitchen, we joined their father at the backyard where we slaughtered the ram he bought. We killed three Chicken too.
Vero’s father was just David’s replica. He was the talking type; he shared some folklores and amazing myths. I must confess,  he was one of the people that made my stay worthwhile.
Towards evening, the meats were ready. Vero came and took some to the kitchen while we turned the rest to suya. Vero’s father was good at it and he made an epic one; so yummy and spicy. One of the knowledge I gained.

Christmas Eve In Calabar was really a non forgettable one. They were staunch Catholics, so we went to one St. Joseph in town, and that night was epic. I won’t forget in a hurry the story told by the Reverend Father about first Christmas in Nigeria and what it meant to us then, unlike what it’s to this generation.
When the mass was over, we arrived home around 1am on their father’s Lexus 350. Vero’s father was a government worker who owned several other private businesses. And his real name is Benjamin. Vero didn’t disclose this to me, David rather did.
_______
25 December.
None of us went to church this day. The stress of the previous day sapped our strength. It was fun throughout the morning; David, Ekong and I played PS4 while I remained undefeated after several attempts from the duo. So, they nicknamed me “Champion”.
Around noon, Vero served a late breakfast. We happily devoured the food in few minutes and returned to enjoy our game. My uncle called to wish me a Merry Christmas and afterwards asked where I was. I lied I was in school and he believed me.  I spoke with his children and they really missed my presence.

Later in the afternoon we all went to the cinema. I was actually not the type that like watching movies at the Cinema but the experience at  Besta Cinema was worthwhile, and the movie we saw was worth the hype. When we left the Cinema, Vero’s father drove us to the Christmas Village; it's a place specially created for all- night- all -day frolicking session and provides assorted drinks at subsidized rate to go down with assorted grilled meat, fish and other delicacies and chop. We all ate grilled meat and drinks.
Overall, it was all fun day and surely one of my best Christmas ever.
______
26 December.
It was Sunday. We got back from church, ate and went for shopping and that was the day Vero’s father boxed me a gift. Guess what I saw when I unwrapped it? Samsung Galaxy 9 plus. I couldn’t contain my excitement. I embraced and thanked him. They were all smiles and happy for me. Vero also was gifted a new phone from his father, David got a new Camera for his studio work, and Ekong got a new apple laptop.  And it was indeed a boxing day to remember.
 When we got home, Ekong showed me an unaware picture he took the moment I hugged his father. I really loved the shot, so I quickly made it my lock screen saver. I just couldn’t wait to retrieve my line and connect back on social media.

27th December we stayed at home and had fun, while 28th was a relative wedding at Etta Agbo. I went with them on my white native. Vero was part of the bridal train, and she looked stunning on her purple dress. It was a pleasure to see how their traditional wedding was being done. Unlike where I come from, theirs was totally different and was awed.

On 29th  December, David, Ekong and I had hours of fun at the swimming pool.
30th was their family prayer day. Vero’s cousins and relatives came around. It was really a full house and it somehow made me uncomfortable. After the prayer session, they served different meals, Afang soup inclusive. I opted for the soup and enjoyed it once again. My skin was beginning to glow and I felt I added weight. Of course I should right?
31 was Crossover night.  When we got to St. Joseph, we literally didn’t do anything than had fireworks clash with other teenagers. We never  stepped our feets inside the church except Vero and her parents. And when we came home, we continued the fireworks inside the compound. Vero’s father bought them in bundles, so we stayed up till they got exhausted.
____
     New year celebration was a thrilling one. Unlike Christmas, two of Vero’s cousin sisters stayed back after the prayer night. Jane and Doris. The duo were damn enchanting. I couldn’t keep my eyes off them. God actually took time to create those beauty.  I’d fail my forefathers if I leave Calabar without having their numbers.

Later in the evening, the six of us went out leaving Vero’s parents behind. Ekong drove us with his father’s Mercedes Benz. Jane and Doris were really something else; their vibes were topnotch.  We snapchat almost  every moment. We had good time together and I was glad they didn’t look down on me. Truth is, I wasn’t even up to their class but regardless, we vibed together.

I could go on and on to share every moment I spent in Calabar but I’m sure you’d definitely get jealous. Last Christmas was no doubt my best so far. I had good time with Vero and her family until the seventh day of January when I took a bow.  It was two weeks of fun, relaxation, good time and merriment; a lovely memory to cherish.  Just like Vero said, I’d never regret I visited Calabar, and she was right. I’m proud to say I now have a new family in Calabar, and I’m sure my parents would be happy wherever they are. I miss them tho and they would forever be in my heart. Ever green memory–
       Though I miss my Camon 12 and every other stuffs I lost on our way, I can proudly say everything I got back was worth the lost. Vero’s father credited my account with mouthwatering amount when he was informed about my trip back to Owerri. The money was huuuge, ‘something hooge' in Sabinus voice.

When I was about leaving on 7th, Vero’s brothers wished I never got to leave. They’d miss my PS 4 vibes and it was clearly written on their faces. But I have got no option than to leave. I got a friend’s wedding to attend on 9th at Owerri, and it was very crucial that I attend.
David and Ekong bid me good bye when I hopped into their father’s Lexus 350. Vero was yet to wake up that morning. Truth is, Vero and I didn’t get to vibe more. She always left me in the hands of her brothers. I’d wait for arrival in school so as to thank her enough for everything I got from her wonderful family. I really thanked my stars  for not missing this golden opportunity.
When finally Mr. Ben ignited the engine, Ekong opened the gate wide and we zoomed off to the park.  
 _______

This is the end of my story. Hope  you enjoyed reading this? I’d  like to read your comments.

©️FrankWriter1
#storyteller

Re: Christmas In Calabar (Best Christmas Ever!!) by christheair(m): 1:08pm On Jan 27, 2022
Now this is what i call a good story writing. Direct it is and would have worth it with a few details added up to the story.
Bt its all good.
Nice Holiday u had Eric!

Make i kuku de find how i go go calabar b dat wink

1 Like

Re: Christmas In Calabar (Best Christmas Ever!!) by Ogamysamo: 9:55pm On Jan 27, 2022
thou i must confess i love your story and am jealous even without the parts you refused to include because this is the type of adventures i want, i mean explore life far away in strange places but i really can't lie for that and that's why it will be impossible.

but i still pray you get to avoid lying

1 Like

Re: Christmas In Calabar (Best Christmas Ever!!) by frankwriter(m): 11:38pm On Jan 27, 2022
Ogamysamo:
thou i must confess i love your story and am jealous even without the parts you refused to include because this is the type of adventures i want, i mean explore life far away in strange places but i really can't lie for that and that's why it will be impossible.

but i still pray you get to avoid lying

Lol. Thank youuu
This is only fiction and not a true life story.
I'm Frank and not Eric.

Re: Christmas In Calabar (Best Christmas Ever!!) by frankwriter(m): 11:41pm On Jan 27, 2022
christheair:
Now this is what i call a good story writing. Direct it is and would have worth it with a few details added up to the story.
Bt its all good.
Nice Holiday u had Eric!

Make i kuku de find how i go go calabar b dat wink

Thank you for engaging.
Yeah, I know I didn't add up some stuff. I was only opportune to visit Calabar once and that was some years back.
Re: Christmas In Calabar (Best Christmas Ever!!) by Ogamysamo: 9:10am On Jan 28, 2022
frankwriter:

Lol. Thank youuu This is only fiction and not a true life story. I'm Frank and not Eric.
wow It Look Too Real To Be Consider Fictous.

1 Like

Re: Christmas In Calabar (Best Christmas Ever!!) by preshman22: 12:21pm On May 11, 2022
Great story grin
But pesin papa buy you Samsung Galaxy s9 plus undecided
Why na undecided

1 Like

Re: Christmas In Calabar (Best Christmas Ever!!) by MoneyGoDrop: 7:11pm On May 11, 2022
Another wonderful story frankwriter,as always i enjoyed it though it feels like a real life story and not fiction.

Ps: you didn't tell us why you don't like visiting your hometown.

1 Like

Re: Christmas In Calabar (Best Christmas Ever!!) by frankwriter(m): 1:25am On May 12, 2022
preshman22:
Great story grin
But pesin papa buy you Samsung Galaxy s9 plus undecided
Why na undecided

Lol grin grin
Re: Christmas In Calabar (Best Christmas Ever!!) by frankwriter(m): 1:26am On May 12, 2022
MoneyGoDrop:
Another wonderful story frankwriter,as always i enjoyed it though it feels like a real life story and not fiction.

Ps: you didn't tell us why you don't like visiting your hometown.

Smiles... Thank you boss.

Hope you are reading my ongoing story?

"Living With My Grandma"
Re: Christmas In Calabar (Best Christmas Ever!!) by MoneyGoDrop: 7:09am On May 12, 2022
frankwriter

"Living With My Grandma"

I haven't been on NL for sometime now but i will surely read it whenever i have time.

PS: I notice you're an expert in avoiding my questions. My first question is about the asaba location and the second is why did Eric hate visiting his hometown. I hope these two questions gets answered before i leave again.

1 Like

Re: Christmas In Calabar (Best Christmas Ever!!) by frankwriter(m): 7:35pm On May 12, 2022
MoneyGoDrop:
frankwriter

"Living With My Grandma"

I haven't been on NL for sometime now but i will surely read it whenever i have time.

PS: I notice you're an expert in avoiding my questions. My first question is about the asaba location and the second is why did Eric hate visiting his hometown. I hope these two questions gets answered before i leave again.

kiss

wink

Eric hated going home because of his village people. His extended family particularly.

About the Asaba location, I asked you to chat me up on WhatsApp but you didn't.

(1) (Reply)

How To Market A New Nigerian Novel / Best Seller's E-novel For Sale / The World Is Flat - Friedman

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 134
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.