Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,151,825 members, 7,813,719 topics. Date: Tuesday, 30 April 2024 at 04:57 PM

As A Christian That Is Not Earning Is It Wrong Not To Pay Tithe - Religion - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Religion / As A Christian That Is Not Earning Is It Wrong Not To Pay Tithe (390 Views)

Bishop Oyedepo: It's Wrong To Allow People In Market And Not In Church / Bishop Oyedepo: 'If You Don't Pay Tithe, You Are Permanently A Beggar' / Opinion!!!!! Any Christian That Goes To Work On Sundays Will Not Make Heaven.... (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

As A Christian That Is Not Earning Is It Wrong Not To Pay Tithe by rowlex7(m): 9:39am On Jan 30, 2022
Happy Sunday my fellow Christians currently I am not earning but I still get little stipends from people around me, is it wrong for me not to deduct my tithe from it.
Thanks I await your response
Re: As A Christian That Is Not Earning Is It Wrong Not To Pay Tithe by FERNANDEZISBACK: 9:41am On Jan 30, 2022
Why pay tithe tho?
Tithing is no longer a requirement for you Christians..why allow your pastors deceive you with mere words...?

Why not give to the poor?
Tithing is now a fraud..tithing was a feature of the Law Covenant which applied only to the Israelites or those who adopted the faith back then.. unfortunately pastors stole the concept so as to have some persons to pay for their housing and whatever items they wanted all in form of giving to an imaginary creature..

2 Likes

Re: As A Christian That Is Not Earning Is It Wrong Not To Pay Tithe by headSmasher: 9:57am On Jan 30, 2022
Tithing is a good thing to do, once you are having some income
Re: As A Christian That Is Not Earning Is It Wrong Not To Pay Tithe by headSmasher: 9:58am On Jan 30, 2022
[.
Re: As A Christian That Is Not Earning Is It Wrong Not To Pay Tithe by matrix199(m): 10:08am On Jan 30, 2022
What do you want to use to pay the tithe? Is it I.O.U? The church should be the one paying sef. As they get from Pauls they should give to Peters. Gaskia!
Re: As A Christian That Is Not Earning Is It Wrong Not To Pay Tithe by MaxInDHouse(m): 10:35am On Jan 30, 2022
rowlex7:

Happy Sunday my fellow Christians currently I am not earning but I still get little stipends from people around me, is it wrong for me not to deduct my tithe from it.

You misconstrued everything!

First of all tithes was demanded in the Old Testament to ease the work of the High Priest who is the head of Service in the Temple arrangement. The priests and singers must be focused on their service in the priesthood so they need food, clothing and shelter. All these will be taken care of through the ten percent of the earnings of Israelites from other tribes.

So failure to pay the tithe will affect the service rendered by this person working in the temple! Nehemiah 13:10

But in Christianity Jesus is the High priest but in this case Jesus told his own workers that they must render their own services freely {Matthew 10:6} unlike the Levites in ancient Israel who weren't given the job freely:

"And do not neglect the Levites living in your towns, for they have no allotment or inheritance of their own. Deuteronomy 14:27

The Levites got the service as their inheritance when others were given inheritance the Levites were left out.

But in Christianity each of us must work for what we are going to eat as we already have jobs before becoming Christians, so if anyone claims he's a Christian he must struggle to feed himself not relying on others {1 Thessalonians 4:11-12 ; 2Thessalonians 3:10} There are some who wants to serve fully in the ministry, they don't need to marry and have children because that will distract them and add to their burden! Matthew 19:10-12

In this case fellow believers only need to support them with whatever we can give since they're doing more with their time and they're not accumulating any material possessions rather they're putting everything they have in the ministry!

So how do Christians pay our tithes?

Remember it was by kind in the Old Testament but now each Christian must serve our High priest Jesus Christ through our preaching and teaching {Matthew 28:19-20} as we support his brothers {Born Again Christians) in their service. Jesus will only allow us in his kingdom if we support his brothers with all our effort in the task they were given! Matthew 25:31-46
Re: As A Christian That Is Not Earning Is It Wrong Not To Pay Tithe by paxonel(m): 10:40am On Jan 30, 2022
headSmasher:
Tithing is a good thing to do, once you are having some income
Lie!

What is good is giving from your heart, tithing is fraudulent

1 Like

Re: As A Christian That Is Not Earning Is It Wrong Not To Pay Tithe by headSmasher: 10:46am On Jan 30, 2022
Are you talking scripturally or morally let me know where you are coming from
paxonel:

Lie!

Re: As A Christian That Is Not Earning Is It Wrong Not To Pay Tithe by jmoore(m): 10:50am On Jan 30, 2022
rowlex7:
Tithe is for Judaism. Tithes got no place in Christianity. Why are you not worried that you haven't sacrificed animals to God?

1 Like

Re: As A Christian That Is Not Earning Is It Wrong Not To Pay Tithe by paxonel(m): 11:49am On Jan 30, 2022
headSmasher:
Are you talking scripturally or morally let me know where you are coming from
scripturally.

And, you didn't have any scripture to prove your point that's why i say it's a lie

1 Like

Re: As A Christian That Is Not Earning Is It Wrong Not To Pay Tithe by petra1(m): 12:03pm On Jan 30, 2022
rowlex7:

yes give tithe on all your earning . either dash or gift

1 Like

Re: As A Christian That Is Not Earning Is It Wrong Not To Pay Tithe by tctrills: 1:21pm On Jan 30, 2022
jmoore:

Tithe is for Judaism. Tithes got no place in Christianity. Why are you not worried that you haven't sacrificed animals to God?
If tithe is for Judaism then the old testament is not a book for Christians. Even before the nation of the Jews came about, Abraham paid tithe.
If you claim tithe is for the Jews then what form of contribution is for Christians?

1 Like

Re: As A Christian That Is Not Earning Is It Wrong Not To Pay Tithe by headSmasher: 1:26pm On Jan 30, 2022
paxonel:
scripturally.

And, you didn't have any scripture to prove your point that's why i say it's a lie
this is Jesus Christ tecahing, I pray GOD grant you more insight

Matthew 23:23 Woe unto you, scribes and Pharisees, hypocrites! for ye pay tithe of mint and anise and cummin, and have omitted the weightier matters of the law, judgment, mercy, and faith: these (judgment, mercy, and faith) ought ye to have done, and not to leave the other (tithe) undone.
Re: As A Christian That Is Not Earning Is It Wrong Not To Pay Tithe by paxonel(m): 3:02pm On Jan 30, 2022
headSmasher:
this is Jesus Christ tecahing, I pray GOD grant you more insight

Matthew 23:23 Woe unto you, scribes and Pharisees, hypocrites! for ye pay tithe of mint and anise and cummin, and have omitted the weightier matters of the law, judgment, mercy, and faith: these (judgment, mercy, and faith) ought ye to have done, and not to leave the other (tithe) undone.
who are the ye that should have done these things Jesus was saying, are they Christians?

1 Like

Re: As A Christian That Is Not Earning Is It Wrong Not To Pay Tithe by silentshots: 3:11pm On Jan 30, 2022
paxonel:

Lie!

So if I pay my tithe it isn't from my heart? �.
Re: As A Christian That Is Not Earning Is It Wrong Not To Pay Tithe by silentshots: 3:15pm On Jan 30, 2022
rowlex7:

No. If you must it should be from gifts etc that was giving to you. Tithing is essentially 10% of your income so, if you don't have income you shouldn't pay.

If you have the urge to give then it should be bountiful offering, or sow a seed.
Re: As A Christian That Is Not Earning Is It Wrong Not To Pay Tithe by headSmasher: 4:33pm On Jan 30, 2022
paxonel:
who are the ye that should have done these things Jesus was saying, are they Christians?
Pharisees, but with Jesus Christ personality, will HE give different advice to His followers and sinners?
Re: As A Christian That Is Not Earning Is It Wrong Not To Pay Tithe by paxonel(m): 4:49pm On Jan 30, 2022
headSmasher:
Pharisees, but with Jesus Christ personality, will HE give different advice to His followers and sinners?
his followers were not inclusive in that structure or covenant(old covenant order). Otherwise, he would have also asked his followers to do what the Pharisees were doing
Re: As A Christian That Is Not Earning Is It Wrong Not To Pay Tithe by paxonel(m): 4:50pm On Jan 30, 2022
silentshots:

So if I pay my tithe it isn't from my heart? �.
no,

You were mislead.
Anything you do out of ignorance can never be from your heart
Re: As A Christian That Is Not Earning Is It Wrong Not To Pay Tithe by jmoore(m): 6:54pm On Jan 30, 2022
tctrills:

If tithe is for Judaism then the old testament is not a book for Christians. Even before the nation of the Jews came about, Abraham paid tithe.
If you claim tithe is for the Jews then what form of contribution is for Christians?
Abraham also sacrificed animals to God. Why are you not following Abraham to sacrifice animals to God?

Do you know the meaning of old and new? It is called old testament for a reason. Why are you comfortable with old when Jesus gave you new?

The form of contribution for Christians is in 2 Corinthians 9:7 'Each of you should give what you have decided in your heart to give, not reluctantly or under compulsion, for God loves a cheerful giver.'
Re: As A Christian That Is Not Earning Is It Wrong Not To Pay Tithe by tctrills: 10:37pm On Jan 30, 2022
jmoore:

Abraham also sacrificed animals to God. Why are you not following Abraham to sacrifice animals to God?

Do you know the meaning of old and new? It is called old testament for a reason. Why are you comfortable with old when Jesus gave you new?

The form of contribution for Christians is in 2 Corinthians 9:7 'Each of you should give what you have decided in your heart to give, not reluctantly or under compulsion, for God loves a cheerful giver.'
You are wrong on 2 fronts.
1. First Christ's sacrifice brought an end to animal sacrifice.
We are told in the old testament not to have any God by him, the same is expected in the new testament.
The old testament taught don't use the name of God in vain, same is expected in new testament.
Same with honoring our parents. Those things that where changed were clearly mentioned. Every other thing remains the same in our worship.
2. The early Christian's in the book of Acts gave all they had to the Church.
Christ commanded the rich young man to give all to the poor.
Members of the new testament Church led by Peter gave all to the church and had all things in common.
I am sure you don't practice that
Re: As A Christian That Is Not Earning Is It Wrong Not To Pay Tithe by jmoore(m): 11:49pm On Jan 30, 2022
tctrills:

You are wrong on 2 fronts.
1. First Christ's sacrifice brought an end to animal sacrifice.
We are told in the old testament not to have any God by him, the same is expected in the new testament.
The old testament taught don't use the name of God in vain, same is expected in new testament.
Same with honoring our parents. Those things that where changed were clearly mentioned. Every other thing remains the same in our worship.
2. The early Christian's in the book of Acts gave all they had to the Church.
Christ commanded the rich young man to give all to the poor.
Members of the new testament Church led by Peter gave all to the church and had all things in common.
I am sure you don't practice that
So the Corinthians I quoted was from which testament? That Apostle A gave his all doesn't mean you should follow Apostle A and give all your belongings. That's why Christians are instructed in 2
Corinthians 9:7 'Each of you should give what you
have decided in your heart to give, not reluctantly or
under compulsion, for God loves a cheerful give.

Do you know you can eat your tithe? You don't know that. Read your Bible very well.

Why pay my tithe when I can eat it?
Re: As A Christian That Is Not Earning Is It Wrong Not To Pay Tithe by tctrills: 12:09am On Jan 31, 2022
jmoore:

So the Corinthians I quoted was from which testament? That Apostle A gave his all doesn't mean you should follow Apostle A and give all your belongings. That's why Christians are instructed in 2

Do you know you can eat your tithe? You don't know that. Read your Bible very well.

So you follow one apostle and neglect the other.
Re: As A Christian That Is Not Earning Is It Wrong Not To Pay Tithe by tctrills: 12:13am On Jan 31, 2022
jmoore:

If you read your bible. You would learn of more than one chapter were donations to the church was mentioned. Corr 9.7 is only one of such.
Again, 2 cor9.7 did not end tithe. It only teaches you to give it willingly fromantic your heart
Re: As A Christian That Is Not Earning Is It Wrong Not To Pay Tithe by jmoore(m): 12:14pm On Jan 31, 2022
tctrills:

So you follow one apostle and neglect the other.

I follow instructions. That's why comprehension is key. Apostle Paul didn't marry. So should I follow Apostle Paul and say Christians should never marry.

When reading the Bible, learn to distinguish instruction from personal choice.
Re: As A Christian That Is Not Earning Is It Wrong Not To Pay Tithe by tctrills: 12:51pm On Jan 31, 2022
jmoore:

I follow instructions. That's why comprehension is key. Apostle Paul didn't marry. So should I follow Apostle Paul and say Christians should never marry.

When reading the Bible, learn to distinguish instruction from personal choice.
The Church is guided by instruction, not personal choices. Peter and the other 11 did not just decide that members should sell all they have for the church. That would have been criminal.

Also, Paul did not instruct on any kind of church donations he only said it should be done willingly. He was speaking about giving cheerfully and not what should be given.
Finally, as I said earlier, Christ instructed the rich young man to give his all, so the 12 were only following Christ's example. Jesus Christ also told of the widows mite. She was recognized for giving her all.
This is basically how it works, in the days of old, they were instructed to give 10% but when Christ came, he required giving all.
Matthew 5:17 (“Do not think that I have come to abolish Law or the Prophets; I have not come to abolish them but to fulfill them.”
For example, the says Thou shall not commit adultery. The law still stands but Christ raised the standard... Don't look at a woman in lust.
The requirement of tithe stands but as with the widow, Christ emphasized giving all that you have.
In Matthew 23:23 Christ endorsed the payment of tithe
“Woe to you, teachers of the law and Pharisees, you hypocrites! You give a tenth of your spices—mint, dill and cumin. But you have neglected the more important matters of the law—justice, mercy and faithfulness. You should have practiced the latter, without neglecting the former.
His words are clear It good to pay tithe but not neglect justice, mercy, and faithfulness.
Re: As A Christian That Is Not Earning Is It Wrong Not To Pay Tithe by jmoore(m): 1:10pm On Jan 31, 2022
tctrills:

In Matthew 23:23 Christ endorsed the payment of tithe
“Woe to you, teachers of the law and Pharisees, you hypocrites! You give a tenth of your spices—mint, dill and cumin. But you have neglected the more important matters of the law—justice, mercy and faithfulness. You should have practiced the latter, without neglecting the former.
His words are clear It good to pay tithe but not neglect justice, mercy, and faithfulness.
New testament began when Jesus died. There is no endorsement of tithe after Jesus died.

Mint, dill and cumin are all plants. So why are you demanding for money? No where in the Bible was tithe paid with money.

I eat my tithe according to the law. If you choose to give a pastor your own tithe, that's your own choice out of lack of knowledge. No Nigerian pastor descended from the tribe of Levi.
Re: As A Christian That Is Not Earning Is It Wrong Not To Pay Tithe by tctrills: 1:17pm On Jan 31, 2022
jmoore:

New testament began when Jesus died. There is no endorsement of tithe after Jesus died.

Mint, dill and cumin are all plants. So why are you demanding for money? No where in the Bible was tithe paid with money.

I eat my tithe according to the law. If you choose to give a pastor your own tithe, that's your own choice out of lack of knowledge. No Nigerian pastor descended from the tribe of Levi.

New testament began when Jesus died. There is no endorsement of tithe after Jesus died. Your opinion, Jesus Christ did not ask his followers to start obeying him after his death. He required their obedience even before his death.
Do you also notice that he quoted continuously from the old testament? If the words in the old testament were no longer valid, he wouldn't have quoted from it.
Re: As A Christian That Is Not Earning Is It Wrong Not To Pay Tithe by tctrills: 1:22pm On Jan 31, 2022
jmoore:

The payment of tithe is older than the tribe of Levi. Melchizedek was not from the tribe of Levi. Many of you don't understand, Abraham did not live under the laws of Moses.
Re: As A Christian That Is Not Earning Is It Wrong Not To Pay Tithe by silentshots: 1:37pm On Jan 31, 2022
paxonel:
no,

You were mislead.
Anything you do out of ignorance can never be from your heart

I certainly can't speak for you and rightly so, you speak for me either. Giving, tithing is always a problem when it comes to God.
Folks choose to blow their money on alcohol, women, clubs and other things that makes them happy and no one seem to care about how they spend their money. But, when it comes to Christains doing the exact thing blowing their money but for God you people say we're ignorant, brainwashed etc.
I believe in tithing, giving to God and it makes me happy because I count it a privilege.
Re: As A Christian That Is Not Earning Is It Wrong Not To Pay Tithe by jmoore(m): 3:13pm On Jan 31, 2022
tctrills:

The payment of tithe is older than the tribe of Levi. Melchizedek was not from the tribe of Levi. Many of you don't understand, Abraham did not live under the laws of Moses.
Abraham paid tithe once. Abraham did not pay tithe from his livestock. Abraham went to war, it was from what he looted from the war that he paid as tithe. Go and fight a war against bokoharam, loot their properties and pay tithe from what you looted.

1 Like

Re: As A Christian That Is Not Earning Is It Wrong Not To Pay Tithe by tctrills: 3:33pm On Jan 31, 2022
jmoore:

Abraham paid tithe once. Abraham did not pay tithe from his livestock. Abraham went to war, it was from what he looted from the war that he paid as tithe. Go and fight a war against bokoharam, loot their properties and pay tithe from what you looted.
This is why you get it wrong. The scripture is not about recording everything Abraham did or did not do. we learn about Abraham paying tithe so we can see it's a principle of the kingdom.
Also, Jacob paid tithe, just so you know

(1) (Reply)

Mathematical Error In The Bible 3 / Part Of Ukraine Army Will Betray Them: Pastor Chris / As A Muslim, U Were Offered $1B To Convert To Christian Or$1b

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 66
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.