Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,896 members, 7,821,123 topics. Date: Wednesday, 08 May 2024 at 08:37 AM

Top 5 World's Most Powerful Heavy Lifting Helicopters By Capacity(Pics) - Science/Technology - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Science/Technology / Top 5 World's Most Powerful Heavy Lifting Helicopters By Capacity(Pics) (2851 Views)

World's Most Powerful Telescope Reveals Incredible New View Of Jupiter (Pics) / Malayan Leaf Frog Aka Long-Nosed Horned Frog: World's Most Camouflaged Frog / Cassowary: How The World's Most Dangerous Bird Got Its Unique Feathers (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

Top 5 World's Most Powerful Heavy Lifting Helicopters By Capacity(Pics) by Explorers(m): 3:16pm On Jan 30, 2022
Since their implementation in the 1940s, helicopters/choppers have done a great job moving large cargo or materials, moving or evacuating troops/people, and life-saving/rescue activities.

They are among the most reliable types of aircraft.

Used by organizations, hospitals, media stations, police, the military, and other government organizations.

Heavy lift helicopters are designed with impressive abilities to carry over 50 tons and place materials where they need to go faster, especially in remote areas.

https://aerocorner.com/blog/heavy-lift-helicopters/
Lalasticlala Mynd44

Re: Top 5 World's Most Powerful Heavy Lifting Helicopters By Capacity(Pics) by Explorers(m): 3:18pm On Jan 30, 2022
1. Mil Mi-26 “Halo”

Lifting Capacity: 44,000 lbs / 20,000 Kg

Price: $25 million

Popularly known as Halo, the MI-26 is the world’s largest helicopter in production.

This heavy twin-engine transport helicopter is Russian-made and was manufactured for both military and civilian operations.

It was designed and developed by the Mil Moscow Helicopter Plant.

Halo has been sold worldwide to over 20 countries. It is available in 13 variants that can lift up to 56 tons and has been used over the years to transport virtually everything that can be carried safely in the sky, such as smaller helicopters.

When it comes to specs, Halo’s charge area with rear ramp closed is 12m long, 3.2 m wide, and has a minimum cling height of 2.9m.

The interior can hold 80 combat-equipped troops or six stretchers, but there are rare cases where it flies carrying 150 troops.
Its maximum weight, when empty, is 62,170lb and its top speed is 295kph, and it has a crew capacity of 4.

4 Likes

Re: Top 5 World's Most Powerful Heavy Lifting Helicopters By Capacity(Pics) by Explorers(m): 3:18pm On Jan 30, 2022
2. Sikorsky CH-53K King Stallion

Lifting Capacity: 36,000 lbs / 16,300 Kg

Price: $125 million

The King Stallion is an upgrade of the CH-53E super stallion, which was previously the biggest and heaviest helicopter outside Russia.

Today, the CH-53K King Stallion is the US military’s most powerful, biggest, and heaviest helicopter.

It was also designed to meet the needs of the US marine corps and will serve as its critical sea and land-based logistics connector.

This version allows international militaries and US marine corps to move troops and equipment from the ship to the shore and other higher altitude terrains faster and efficiently.

It is built to thrive in the modern battlefield, including shipment operations.

The CH-53K is more intelligent, reliable, survivable, and low maintenance as it is designed to withstand the most remote and austere operating bases.

When it comes to the specs, the larger cabin can carry 37 troops comfortably.

It can deliver supplies, vehicles, soldiers, and other materials required in larger quantities, such as heavy weapons, military vehicles, and 55 seated soldiers.

Its speed is 172 miles per hour, and its weight when empty is 88,000lbs.

Re: Top 5 World's Most Powerful Heavy Lifting Helicopters By Capacity(Pics) by Explorers(m): 3:19pm On Jan 30, 2022
3. Boeing CH-47 Chinook

Lifting Capacity: 24,000 lbs / 10,886 Kg

Price: $ 25.1 million to - $ 32 million

Developed to meet the US Army requirements, the CH-47 first flew in 1961.

The utility helicopter became fully operational in 1962.

Since then, 1,160 of its kind have been built, including model license-produced in Japan and Italy and exported all over the world.

The upgraded Chinooks are designed to remain operational with the US army beyond 2060 and the years to come.

This heavy-lift helicopter can perform multiple transport missions like carrying troops, war supplies, battlefield equipment, and other cargo.

It is also efficient in other tasks such as transporting medical equipment, disaster relief, aircraft recovery, parachute drop, search and rescue, heavy construction, civil development operations, and emergency evacuation.

Some of the well-known missions Chinooks have been used in the past include Operations Desert Shield, desert storm, and the Gulf War.

When empty, the CH-47 Chinook weighs 23,400 lbs. and its maximum take-off weight is 50,000lb.

This means the Chinook can lift about 26,600 lbs, or about 12,065 Kg.

The Textron Lycoming T55-L712 engines power the Chinook.

It accommodates 44 passengers.

4 Likes

Re: Top 5 World's Most Powerful Heavy Lifting Helicopters By Capacity(Pics) by Explorers(m): 3:19pm On Jan 30, 2022
4. Bell Boeing V-22 Osprey

Lifting Capacity Dual Cargo Hook: 12,500 lbs / 5,760 Kg

Price: $70 million.

Produced as part of a strategic alliance between Boeing and Bell helicopters, the V-22 Osprey is a unique aircraft with multi-transmission abilities.

That means it is more of a tiltrotor than an actual helicopter.

However, it is used for the same purpose as helicopters by combining its vertical lift capabilities with the flight speed of a fixed-wing turboprop aircraft.

It can take off or land vertically and reach a greater altitude at high speed of up to 280kt.

Compared to other utility helicopters, this aircraft can fly twice the speed.

The V-22 is fitted with two powerful Rolls-Royce engines whose nacelle can rotate to change the aircraft into a turboprop plane.

The engines develop a powerful 6-150shp each and are capable of air-to-air refueling.

Thanks to the rotatable wings and foldable rotors, the Osprey can be compactly stored on board an assault ship or an aircraft carrier.

The navy, Marine Corps, and the US army use the V-22 Osprey for different missions like delivery.

It is an interesting aircraft with incredible abilities as it can refuel in the air and land on ships and other vessels.

It is currently one of the largest VTOL aircraft and accommodates 24 troops or 19,800 lbs internally and 12,500 lbs externally.

5. Eurocopter EC725

Lifting Capacity Internal: 12,500 lbs / 5,670 Kg

Also called the “Super cougar” or “Caracal,” the EC 725 was built in France to improve search and find rescue missions.

It first made its way into the sky in 2000 and was delivered to the French air force in 2005.

It is a long-range tactical transport helicopter that evolved from the Eurocopter Puma family.

Today, it has been adopted by Indonesia, Mexico, Malaysia, and other countries interested in ordering this aircraft.

Apart from search and rescue operations, this helicopter is a heavy lifter that can be used to transport cargo, troops, and other materials required in often unreachable terrains.

When it comes to the specs, the EC 725 has an external payload of 9,900 lbs. and an internal payload of roughly 12,500 lbs.

It is capable of carrying 28 troops. It can be fitted with add-on armor plating to operate in combat environments.

1 Share

Re: Top 5 World's Most Powerful Heavy Lifting Helicopters By Capacity(Pics) by DenreleDave(m): 3:32pm On Jan 30, 2022
angry
Re: Top 5 World's Most Powerful Heavy Lifting Helicopters By Capacity(Pics) by DrMeroThaEmperor(m): 4:12pm On Jan 30, 2022
Here we go again.
Re: Top 5 World's Most Powerful Heavy Lifting Helicopters By Capacity(Pics) by Treasure17(m): 4:23pm On Jan 30, 2022
Explorers on the beat.
Re: Top 5 World's Most Powerful Heavy Lifting Helicopters By Capacity(Pics) by datjohn(m): 4:39pm On Jan 30, 2022
So, u mean Tarhe (Sky crane) didn't make this list?

Just can't forget it being used in Swordfish movie to lift a giant bus.
Re: Top 5 World's Most Powerful Heavy Lifting Helicopters By Capacity(Pics) by Kharol1234: 4:53pm On Jan 30, 2022
Parked
Re: Top 5 World's Most Powerful Heavy Lifting Helicopters By Capacity(Pics) by iamoyindamola(m): 5:06pm On Jan 30, 2022
See choppers
Re: Top 5 World's Most Powerful Heavy Lifting Helicopters By Capacity(Pics) by iamyemiakins(m): 6:44pm On Jan 30, 2022
The way science and technology don change this life for better ehn, it can't be over emphasized
Re: Top 5 World's Most Powerful Heavy Lifting Helicopters By Capacity(Pics) by cayorday89(m): 9:55pm On Jan 30, 2022
Unto this technology matter, nothing surprises me again, even if I see a never seen before invention I don't act surprised because they are more than capable and for that number one, please explorers just tell us about the rope abi na chain that is used to convey the aeroplane I would like to know the stuff it's made of, the Chopper na normal thing but the rope or whatever it's called is all I want to be educated on how it's so strong to be able to withstand the weight of an aeroplane.

1 Like

Re: Top 5 World's Most Powerful Heavy Lifting Helicopters By Capacity(Pics) by LogicBomb8: 11:58pm On Jan 30, 2022
**Nigeria left the group chat**

1 Like

Re: Top 5 World's Most Powerful Heavy Lifting Helicopters By Capacity(Pics) by chelseamann(m): 12:18am On Jan 31, 2022
cayorday89:
Unto this technology matter, nothing surprises me again, even if I see a never seen before invention I don't act surprised because they are more than capable and for that number one, please explorers just tell us about the rope abi na chain that is used to convey the aeroplane I would like to know the stuff it's made of, the Chopper na normal thing but the rope or whatever it's called is all I want to be educated on how it's so strong to be able to withstand the weight of an aeroplane.
I am really surprised seeing that rope.. dam.. it must have been made from powerful materials.

1 Like

Re: Top 5 World's Most Powerful Heavy Lifting Helicopters By Capacity(Pics) by BluntCrazeMan: 1:09am On Jan 31, 2022
This Is “Picture Perfect”..
That bird right there was at the right spot at the right moment.

2 Likes

Re: Top 5 World's Most Powerful Heavy Lifting Helicopters By Capacity(Pics) by Explorers(m): 6:34am On Jan 31, 2022
cayorday89:

Synthetic/nylon fast rope, woven together. With steel hook (3 - 5inches thick).

They used flat belt rope to lift that jet, almost 2inches and 10inches wide. Ive forgotten that name.

Chelseamann

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: Top 5 World's Most Powerful Heavy Lifting Helicopters By Capacity(Pics) by chelseamann(m): 6:39am On Jan 31, 2022
Explorers:

They used flat belt rope to lift that jet, almost 2inches and 10inches wide. Ive forgotten that name.

Chelseamann
wow.. I was thinking towards the IRON CHAIN area
Re: Top 5 World's Most Powerful Heavy Lifting Helicopters By Capacity(Pics) by Explorers(m): 6:59am On Jan 31, 2022
chelseamann:
wow.. I was thinking towards the IRON CHAIN area

I think yhat will be too heavy for the crew to lift and attached to materials.

Ground crew have to place the rope on cargo/material then attach to the chopper.

Chain or steel rope will be too heavy for them i think.

Re: Top 5 World's Most Powerful Heavy Lifting Helicopters By Capacity(Pics) by chelseamann(m): 7:04am On Jan 31, 2022
Explorers:

I think yhat will be too heavy for the crew to lift and attached to materials.

Ground crew have to place the rope on cargo/material then attach to the chopper.

Chain or steel rope will be too heavy for them i think.
thanks for the insight
Re: Top 5 World's Most Powerful Heavy Lifting Helicopters By Capacity(Pics) by Explorers(m): 7:59am On Jan 31, 2022
chelseamann:
thanks for the insight

The ropes are made from very stong materials.

They also use the rope in mooring container ship.

1 Like

Re: Top 5 World's Most Powerful Heavy Lifting Helicopters By Capacity(Pics) by cayorday89(m): 12:00pm On Jan 31, 2022
Explorers:

Chelseamann
Thanks Boss, so much appreciate...
Re: Top 5 World's Most Powerful Heavy Lifting Helicopters By Capacity(Pics) by tutudesz: 10:51pm On Jan 31, 2022
cayorday89:
Those are not normal rope O!! They are Dyneema rope

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JIFrgZm6TRg

1 Share

Re: Top 5 World's Most Powerful Heavy Lifting Helicopters By Capacity(Pics) by dryakson(m): 11:19pm On Jan 31, 2022
What about this SKY Crane?

2 Likes

Re: Top 5 World's Most Powerful Heavy Lifting Helicopters By Capacity(Pics) by Adeyinka12(m): 6:35am On Feb 01, 2022
Russia nah Baba

1 Like

Re: Top 5 World's Most Powerful Heavy Lifting Helicopters By Capacity(Pics) by Nobody: 12:27pm On Feb 01, 2022
That v22 opsrey na correct engineering work, largest VTOL
Re: Top 5 World's Most Powerful Heavy Lifting Helicopters By Capacity(Pics) by Explorers(m): 2:07pm On Feb 01, 2022
marvelphysics:
That v22 opsrey na correct engineering work, largest VTOL

Is amazing.

It works like winch.
Re: Top 5 World's Most Powerful Heavy Lifting Helicopters By Capacity(Pics) by Myzubby(m): 3:26pm On Feb 01, 2022
amazing technology
Re: Top 5 World's Most Powerful Heavy Lifting Helicopters By Capacity(Pics) by MrBONE2(m): 7:53pm On Feb 01, 2022
cheesy
Re: Top 5 World's Most Powerful Heavy Lifting Helicopters By Capacity(Pics) by Anisilas: 12:30am On Feb 03, 2022
Such an educative post! I learn alot from you Explorer.
Re: Top 5 World's Most Powerful Heavy Lifting Helicopters By Capacity(Pics) by kniru: 3:45pm On Feb 03, 2022
wawu

(1) (2) (Reply)

Indian Python Tries To Swallow An Antelope (Picture) / Outlook.com Sign Up – Create Outlook Mail Account Free | Sign In / Learn A Technical Skills &start Making Money With LYNDA

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 44
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.