Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,280 members, 7,818,942 topics. Date: Monday, 06 May 2024 at 08:44 AM

Rescue Workers In Morocco Edge Closer To Boy Trapped In Well - Foreign Affairs - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Foreign Affairs / Rescue Workers In Morocco Edge Closer To Boy Trapped In Well (13048 Views)

The Taliban Will Enjoy Killing Us': Gay Man Trapped In Afghanistan (Pix) / Americans Ridicule Trump As Biden Edges Closer To Victory (Pictures) / 13 Thailand Boys Trapped In The Cave Are Finally Rescued After 18Days(Photos) (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

Rescue Workers In Morocco Edge Closer To Boy Trapped In Well by GardenOfGod(m): 2:37pm On Feb 05, 2022
RESCUE WORKERS IN MOROCCO EDGE CLOSER TO BOY TRAPPED IN WELL

Five-year-old called Rayan fell and became trapped on Tuesday near hill town of Chefchaouen

Rescuers have dug to within a few metres of reaching a young boy who has been trapped for five days down a well in northern Morocco.

Workers with mechanical diggers have been trying round the clock to rescue five-year-old Rayan after he fell into a 32 metre (105ft) deep well in the hills near Chefchaouen on Tuesday.

“We have 2 metres more to dig to reach Rayan and we hope we will not encounter rocks,” lead rescuer Thamrani Abdelhadi told reporters at the site on Saturday afternoon.

He said it was difficult to determine the child’s condition because a camera that was dropped down the well shows him lying on his side, but he added: “We hope we will rescue him alive.”

It was also unclear how much longer the digging would take due to difficulties relating to rocks and the danger of landslides, he said.

Pictures on Moroccan media have shown Rayan huddled at the bottom of the disused well, which narrows as it descends from its 45cm (18in) opening, preventing rescuers from descending.

Rescue crews, who have dug almost all the way down using bulldozers and front-end loaders, expect the final 2 metres to be the most difficult due to the risk of landslides.

Having worked non-stop through the darkness under powerful floodlights, they are also digging a horizontal tunnel to reach the pocket where Rayan is, local authorities say.

There has been no information about the fate of the boy, but the more time that passes, the more fears arise over whether he will be recovered alive.

Overnight, crews manoeuvred a heavy pipe into position in the area.

“We’re almost there,” said one of the operation’s leaders, Abdesalam Makoudi, adding: “Tiredness is kicking in, but the whole rescue team is hanging on.”

The hilly region around Chefchaouen is bitterly cold in winter and although food has been lowered to Rayan, it was not clear whether he has eaten any. He has also been supplied with water and oxygen using a tube.

A helicopter was standing by to ferry Rayan to hospital.

“I keep up hope that my child will get out of the well alive,” Rayan’s father told public television 2M on Friday evening. “I thank everyone involved and those supporting us in Morocco and elsewhere.”

The boy’s mother told Moroccan media that Rayan had been playing nearby when he disappeared on Tuesday afternoon.

“The whole family went out to look for him then we realised that he’d fallen down the well,” she said.

Scores of townspeople and others have gathered to help and watch the rescue efforts. Nationwide, Moroccans have expressed their hopes for the boy’s survival, using the hashtag #SaveRayan, which has brought global attention to the rescue efforts.

“Rescuers are literally in the process of moving a mountain to save little Rayan. I hope that their efforts will not be in vain and that those who prayed for him will see their prayers answered,” one internet user wrote.
Source:
https://www.theguardian.com/world/2022/feb/05/rescue-workers-in-morocco-edge-closer-to-boy-trapped-in-well

6 Likes 1 Share

Re: Rescue Workers In Morocco Edge Closer To Boy Trapped In Well by Prechgold1180(m): 2:40pm On Feb 05, 2022
If it was in Nigeria

My guy the story would have been super story
Meanwhile First to comment

Congratulations to all graduating auchi students
Both the drop out
The pretenders
Everyone congratulations

Happy birthday to my love
C ronaldo

Got bless us all

10 Likes

Re: Rescue Workers In Morocco Edge Closer To Boy Trapped In Well by Unruly7(m): 2:40pm On Feb 05, 2022
Maybe God help keep Ryan alive

5 Likes

Re: Rescue Workers In Morocco Edge Closer To Boy Trapped In Well by WiszyFraud: 2:40pm On Feb 05, 2022
Did you know??

As time goes by, humans are becoming less and less empathetic. Today, we care about others much less than people did in the 1980s.

lipsrsealed

12 Likes

Re: Rescue Workers In Morocco Edge Closer To Boy Trapped In Well by Sabadon(m): 2:41pm On Feb 05, 2022
V
Re: Rescue Workers In Morocco Edge Closer To Boy Trapped In Well by SOLUTION99(m): 2:41pm On Feb 05, 2022
If na my country
Re: Rescue Workers In Morocco Edge Closer To Boy Trapped In Well by Thylord(m): 2:41pm On Feb 05, 2022
That boy is very lucky say no be buhari be him president.

13 Likes

Re: Rescue Workers In Morocco Edge Closer To Boy Trapped In Well by Donald1200: 2:41pm On Feb 05, 2022
This is the country that works
Re: Rescue Workers In Morocco Edge Closer To Boy Trapped In Well by DamnnNiggarr: 2:41pm On Feb 05, 2022
shocked
Re: Rescue Workers In Morocco Edge Closer To Boy Trapped In Well by ALLNIGERIANSMAD(m): 2:41pm On Feb 05, 2022
If it is in Nigeria, they will say wetin the boy find ho there, let him die na
Re: Rescue Workers In Morocco Edge Closer To Boy Trapped In Well by FacelessKing: 2:41pm On Feb 05, 2022
As a father, this is terribly terribly heartbreaking.
I just cannot imagine it.

I really do hope the child is rescued alive.

7 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Rescue Workers In Morocco Edge Closer To Boy Trapped In Well by KingOfBoyz1(m): 2:42pm On Feb 05, 2022
Sane country. cux of one life. Come naija first make we test something cheesy
Re: Rescue Workers In Morocco Edge Closer To Boy Trapped In Well by shortIGBOman: 2:42pm On Feb 05, 2022
Beautiful.
Nigeria would've been better than most Oyinbo Countries. But the East is drawing us back. cheesy

1 Like

Re: Rescue Workers In Morocco Edge Closer To Boy Trapped In Well by Emissary1(m): 2:42pm On Feb 05, 2022
Working system
Re: Rescue Workers In Morocco Edge Closer To Boy Trapped In Well by KingOfBoyz1(m): 2:43pm On Feb 05, 2022
ALLNIGERIANSMAD:
If it is in Nigeria, they will say wetin the boy find ho there, let him die na
lol. Problem no dey finish abeg
Re: Rescue Workers In Morocco Edge Closer To Boy Trapped In Well by Gadafii: 2:43pm On Feb 05, 2022
Why did they have to dig around the well, couldn't they have lowered a rope down with a machine, can someone with a better understanding explain pls

5 Likes

Re: Rescue Workers In Morocco Edge Closer To Boy Trapped In Well by Callisto1(m): 2:43pm On Feb 05, 2022
That is a working system. If this happened here, it'd take a month before the government approves the contract for rescue.

5 Likes

Re: Rescue Workers In Morocco Edge Closer To Boy Trapped In Well by Mhykel217(m): 2:43pm On Feb 05, 2022
its taking too long. It will really be a blessing if that boy is still alive
Re: Rescue Workers In Morocco Edge Closer To Boy Trapped In Well by abobote: 2:44pm On Feb 05, 2022
They should act first, we need the little boy alive. Hope while droping the camera, they also dropped food and water for the little boy

1 Like

Re: Rescue Workers In Morocco Edge Closer To Boy Trapped In Well by Luckysbab: 2:45pm On Feb 05, 2022
WiszyFraud:
Did you know??

As time goes by, humans are becoming less and less empathetic. Today, we care about others much less than people did in the 1980s.

lipsrsealed

Is this not a direct contradiction to the thread?

4 Likes

Re: Rescue Workers In Morocco Edge Closer To Boy Trapped In Well by Emu4u2c: 2:45pm On Feb 05, 2022
When Love for humanity brings human together to achieve a goal brings tears to My eyes everytime

May the boy be brought out alive.

2 Likes

Re: Rescue Workers In Morocco Edge Closer To Boy Trapped In Well by Lucasmuyiwaa: 2:47pm On Feb 05, 2022
I swear living in Nigeria is like a walking dead. I don't even imagine this efforts could happen in Nigeria. If you enter wahala for here you're on your own. E no go better for who prayed make naija own be like this. Abeg make all Nigerians and Africans get out and don't talk to me anymore please. We be fools and our country can never gets better because it's destined to be like this forever. I'm very frustrated and angry with this country right now.

2 Likes

Re: Rescue Workers In Morocco Edge Closer To Boy Trapped In Well by faste: 2:54pm On Feb 05, 2022
Re: Rescue Workers In Morocco Edge Closer To Boy Trapped In Well by NOwazobia: 3:08pm On Feb 05, 2022
If this type of energy is spend empathizing and loving one another, the world would be a better, if not the best place to live in.

May the effort of these passionate people not be wasted unto the demise of the boy. I pray he is brought up alive.
Re: Rescue Workers In Morocco Edge Closer To Boy Trapped In Well by Nobody: 3:11pm On Feb 05, 2022
Buiild well with parapet.

My grandad had a well in his compound

1.The well had a parapet

2.The well was locked and sealed when not in use, and an adult had the key

3.No child was allowed near the well when the well was opened, except with an adult present, and no child was allowed to fetch water from the well, only an adult.(The only time I looked down the well as a child, one of my uncles was there, holding my hand, and of course when i spent weeks at my grandad's house, I was not allowed to fetch water from the well, not even to 'help' adult.)

The man avoided stories that touch as a result of his strict rules.

1 Like

Re: Rescue Workers In Morocco Edge Closer To Boy Trapped In Well by Germi9: 3:13pm On Feb 05, 2022
Prechgold1180:
If it was in Nigeria

My guy the story would have been super story
Meanwhile First to comment

Congratulations to all graduating auchi students
Both the drop out
The pretenders
Everyone congratulations

Happy birthday to my love
C ronaldo

Got bless us all
Congratulations broh i remember during my time in the great institution
Re: Rescue Workers In Morocco Edge Closer To Boy Trapped In Well by Nobody: 3:17pm On Feb 05, 2022
shortIGBOman:
Beautiful.
Nigeria would've been better than most Oyinbo Countries. But the East is drawing us back. cheesy

No, this shows how careless and how bad the well builder was.

He sinks well, no parapet, no lock , no ways of making it childproof.

A simple parapet, with a locked entrance when not in use, and rayan would have still been playing with his mother ...and all this drilling won't have happened.

1 Like

Re: Rescue Workers In Morocco Edge Closer To Boy Trapped In Well by JaskanFactor: 3:17pm On Feb 05, 2022
since the time they started trying to rescue this boy , estimate the civil servant terrorists in Nigeria must have killed 4000 people.
Sometimes you have to wonder if Nigerian people value other peoples lives more than their own.
Re: Rescue Workers In Morocco Edge Closer To Boy Trapped In Well by ApexTrends: 3:19pm On Feb 05, 2022
I don't understand
Re: Rescue Workers In Morocco Edge Closer To Boy Trapped In Well by seunny4lif(m): 3:21pm On Feb 05, 2022
See country ooh
Imagine, it’s Africa Oooh
If it’s Nigeria then the boy is dead already

(1) (2) (Reply)

New COVID-19 Strain: Belgium Suspends All Flights From UK / Why Are Muslims Outraged At Dr. Ben Carson? - Cramjones / Indian Navy Vigilant On Hijacked Ship With Indian Crew Near Somalia.

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 34
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.