Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,816 members, 7,817,376 topics. Date: Saturday, 04 May 2024 at 11:12 AM

An Encounter With A Job Applicant - Jobs/Vacancies - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Jobs/Vacancies / An Encounter With A Job Applicant (11190 Views)

My Encounter With My Ex-girlfriend - Company Owner Shares Story / HR Insults A Job Applicant Because He Said She Smelt Nice / Job Applicant Come In (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (Reply) (Go Down)

An Encounter With A Job Applicant by OlujobaSamuel: 9:48pm On Feb 06, 2022
I run a POS business, so put up a vacancy to fill a vacant post.
On Tuesday, this lady called seeking to apply for the job, I told her I will get back to her on when to come. Friday afternoon, I gave her a call and asked if she was available on Saturday by 12noon, she said yes, so we had an appointment.
11:30am, she called to confirm the appointment, which I affirmed. Few minutes to 12noon, she called that she is in front of my shop, where am I?
Which of my shops? I asked.
Your shop here.
Kindly describe the shop you are. A kiosk by a container, she answered.
Ok, ask the lady there to tell you where you can find me(my location is close by)
I can't find any lady, she responded, then hissed.
Just ask anyone you can find there then. (Call dropped)
(5mins later) She showed up, calling my number to confirm it's me.
She came with a younger sibling, I gave the boy a stool to sit outside, while I told her to come in to sit.
Good afternoon, I said.
Afternoon (barely audible), she responded.
What is your name? Bree
Sound weird to me(never heard of it)
Spell it. Showed me a Tattoo with the inscription BREE
I pretended not seeing it, she said BREE.
Still surprised, so I asked, where are you from. She was like, why ask, then answered; Anambra.
Where do you live? She mentioned the street, but I'm not familiar with such street. What landmark is close by to your house? She seems not to know what I meant by landmark, so I rephrase, what popular place or house or individual is closed by? She said she doesn't know anywhere that she is new.
How new? She couldn't answer.
Who are you living with? Parents, Uncle, Aunt or who? (Why ask countenance), then she said Mum.
I noticed a wedding ring, so I asked, are you married? Yes, she answered. Where is your husband? Why are you asking, she queried? I need to know, I answered. He is in the East, she responded.
If your husband is in the East, how do you intend to cope working as a POS attendant, do you go visiting or he comes down? How is that your business? ( I shock)
I wasn't so perturbed, so I asked, do you know the nature of the job? You tell me the nature of the job and I will know if I can do it or not.
I can only tell you the job description/specification, you should know the nature of any job you are seeking for.
I'm sorry, I can't take you. Kindly take your leave.
NB: all the period I was chatting with her, she was chatting with her bro sitting outside intermittently about a movie. With so many side comments (her dialect) in respect to our discussion.
Is it wrong of me to have judged her base on her attitude and gestures, or such should have been given an opportunity on the job first?

29 Likes 5 Shares

Re: An Encounter With A Job Applicant by TNORWAY: 10:03pm On Feb 06, 2022
Thank your Star...

52 Likes

Re: An Encounter With A Job Applicant by Ballack1(m): 10:35pm On Feb 06, 2022
She's not ready

63 Likes 2 Shares

Re: An Encounter With A Job Applicant by yuping(m): 10:35pm On Feb 06, 2022
undecided both of you are wrong, but you just dodge a bullet shaa ooo cus you are the boss.

33 Likes 4 Shares

Re: An Encounter With A Job Applicant by OlujobaSamuel: 10:51pm On Feb 06, 2022
yuping:
undecided both of you are wrong, but you just dodge a bullet shaa ooo cus you are the boss.
Thanks. One of the ladies that works for me said, she done dey reason if she fit work for us base on her appearance.
BTW, in what way am I wrong? There might be a chance to correct such in future

14 Likes 1 Share

Re: An Encounter With A Job Applicant by merit455(m): 10:55pm On Feb 06, 2022
Why asking her personal questions

8 Likes 3 Shares

Re: An Encounter With A Job Applicant by OlujobaSamuel: 11:30pm On Feb 06, 2022
merit455:
I asked personal questions that I felt are relevant to her ability to perform her tasks while working for me.
I want to believe you are referring to the marriage part of the discussion.
I noticed that she was relatively very young(17-20), putting on a wedding ring and not in her husband's house (according to her, i asked where she was staying before the marriage part came in).
So if she is having her wedding ring on, it means she is still with him, then how will she cope coming to work Monday to Saturday every week without calling me one morning that she is traveling or not available.
I don't have issues with her being married, only one of the attendants working for me is single, others are married with some having kids.

80 Likes 2 Shares

Re: An Encounter With A Job Applicant by Peritome: 3:43am On Feb 07, 2022
OlujobaSamuel:
I run a POS business, so put up a vacancy to fill a vacant post.
On Tuesday, this lady called seeking to apply for the job, I told her I will get back to her on when to come. Friday afternoon, I gave her a call and asked if she was available on Saturday by 12noon, she said yes, so we had an appointment.
11:30am, she called to confirm the appointment, which I affirmed. Few minutes to 12noon, she called that she is in front of my shop, where am I?
Which of my shops? I asked.
Your shop here.
Kindly describe the shop you are. A kiosk by a container, she answered.
Ok, ask the lady there to tell you where you can find me(my location is close by)
I can't find any lady, she responded, then hissed.
Just ask anyone you can find there then. (Call dropped)
(5mins later) She showed up, calling my number to confirm it's me.
She came with a younger sibling, I gave the boy a stool to sit outside, while I told her to come in to sit.
Good afternoon, I said.
Afternoon (barely audible), she responded.
What is your name? Bree
Sound weird to me(never heard of it)
Spell it. Showed me a Tattoo with the inscription BREE
I pretended not seeing it, she said BREE.
Still surprised, so I asked, where are you from. She was like, why ask, then answered; Anambra.
Where do you live? She mentioned the street, but I'm not familiar with such street. What landmark is close by to your house? She seems not to know what I meant by landmark, so I rephrase, what popular place or house or individual is closed by? She said she doesn't know anywhere that she is new.
How new? She couldn't answer.
Who are you living with? Parents, Uncle, Aunt or who? (Why ask countenance), then she said Mum.
I noticed a wedding ring, so I asked, are you married? Yes, she answered. Where is your husband? Why are you asking, she queried? I need to know, I answered. He is in the East, she responded.
If your husband is in the East, how do you intend to cope working as a POS attendant, do you go visiting or he comes down? How is that your business? ( I shock)
I wasn't so perturbed, so I asked, do you know the nature of the job? You tell me the nature of the job and I will know if I can do it or not.
I can only tell you the job description/specification, you should know the nature of any job you are seeking for.
I'm sorry, I can't take you. Kindly take your leave.
NB: all the period I was chatting with her, she was chatting with her bro sitting outside intermittently about a movie. With so many side comments (her dialect) in respect to our discussion.
Is it wrong of me to have judged her base on her attitude and gestures, or such should have been given an opportunity on the job first?

You're a good man. All that patience with her. She doesn't deserve working under you. You've escaped a huge trouble.

85 Likes 4 Shares

Re: An Encounter With A Job Applicant by Nobody: 7:36am On Feb 07, 2022
Pls take 10 secs to help me win this giveaway

Pls make una help me like my comment through this link so I can win a giveaway
https://www.nairaland.com/6974352/10-giveaway-most-liked-story#110017160

3 Likes 1 Share

Re: An Encounter With A Job Applicant by courage9(m): 7:44am On Feb 07, 2022
Are u sure she wanted it for herself or for somebody else bcus clearly she isn't fit for the job. U just saved urself..

8 Likes 1 Share

Re: An Encounter With A Job Applicant by Ayojideonline(m): 7:50am On Feb 07, 2022
merit455:

Nothing wrong with this. You should always know proper details of the person you are employing, especially in money business .... even possibly getting a good guarantor..... Have you never met HR Personnel ? >.... Yes ...even for small business.

23 Likes 1 Share

Re: An Encounter With A Job Applicant by Gadafii: 8:52am On Feb 07, 2022
If to say you employ her, she for run you streets, either she treats ur customers wrong, or she simply won't be enthusiastic about the job, and that could lead to loss of customers too

22 Likes 1 Share

Re: An Encounter With A Job Applicant by chuckdee4(m): 9:53am On Feb 07, 2022
merit455:

The employer needs to know if you are going to handle money or would you be happy allowing a stranger handle your money?

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: An Encounter With A Job Applicant by lereinter(m): 9:59am On Feb 07, 2022
merit455:

Point out the personal question?

Do you understand what personal questions mean

6 Likes 1 Share

Re: An Encounter With A Job Applicant by Tokskob2008: 10:57am On Feb 07, 2022
merit455:

So he shouldn't ask personal questions from someone he is intending to entrust his business and money too or didn't you read the vacancy was for a pos operator

You will leave your business money to someone you know nothing about right Even her name isn't clear enough to make a case with if things go south, BREE abi weytin she call herself

29 Likes 1 Share

Re: An Encounter With A Job Applicant by AccessoriteNig: 11:12am On Feb 07, 2022
OlujobaSamuel:

BTW, in what way am I wrong? There might be a chance to correct such in future

Nothing wrong, your first priority as a business man is to protect your business.

No-one will intentionally hand over his work to someone who can destroy it.
You reserve the right to employ ot decline any application you deem fit.

5 Likes 1 Share

Re: An Encounter With A Job Applicant by seankim(m): 11:16am On Feb 07, 2022
She no need the work bro. She just came to pass time.

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: An Encounter With A Job Applicant by soundOsonic: 12:19pm On Feb 07, 2022
Asking one about their address, marital status, guardian isn't personal question.

These are simple questions they ask in schools, jobs, even registration of online stuff.

The OP is not wrong at all.

10 Likes 1 Share

Re: An Encounter With A Job Applicant by McOluOmo: 12:26pm On Feb 07, 2022
[s]
merit455:
[/s]asking her personal question is not ur business

3 Likes 1 Share

Re: An Encounter With A Job Applicant by Mko123(m): 12:26pm On Feb 07, 2022
Q
Re: An Encounter With A Job Applicant by amiibaby(f): 12:27pm On Feb 07, 2022
Hmm
Re: An Encounter With A Job Applicant by inoki247: 12:28pm On Feb 07, 2022
ok
Re: An Encounter With A Job Applicant by todaynewsreview: 12:29pm On Feb 07, 2022
Okay..... I see nothing wrong on your part since money is involve here
Re: An Encounter With A Job Applicant by ATEAMS: 12:30pm On Feb 07, 2022
Wow
Re: An Encounter With A Job Applicant by Millimann: 12:32pm On Feb 07, 2022
Which kain name be BREE? Anambra people don't answer stupid names.

OP, you're right in sending her away.

The guy two steps below me has inferiority complex.

6 Likes 1 Share

Re: An Encounter With A Job Applicant by atdscentofwater: 12:33pm On Feb 07, 2022
shocked
Re: An Encounter With A Job Applicant by MisterMan123456: 12:34pm On Feb 07, 2022
You did well, it's better than coming back here to give us stories of regret, how she ran with your money.
Same nairalanders will say; why didn't you do your proper background checks before employing her?

8 Likes 1 Share

Re: An Encounter With A Job Applicant by PlayerMeji: 12:35pm On Feb 07, 2022
Don't mind anybody saying why we're you asking personal questions.

If you are going to be giving over N100,000 to someone to handle on your behalf, you need to know every bit of information about the person, bro

4 Likes 1 Share

Re: An Encounter With A Job Applicant by koladebrainiac(m): 12:35pm On Feb 07, 2022
just tell her she is not qualified for the job. she fit come from Togo o. if she steal your money eh, na forever be that . the way she talking, e belike sey she wan steal your money

5 Likes 1 Share

Re: An Encounter With A Job Applicant by bigdammyj: 12:36pm On Feb 07, 2022
Noted
Re: An Encounter With A Job Applicant by NobleSeed(m): 12:39pm On Feb 07, 2022
na God save you op.
Assuming she pretended and you offer her the job..we for they console you by now..
you won keep your hard earned money with BREE abi how she call the name again grin grin

5 Likes 1 Share

(1) (2) (3) (Reply)

SD Human Resources Limited Fresh Graduate & Exp. Job Recruitment (5 Positions) / Career Opportunity With AIICO Insurance Plc / United Nations International Children's Emergency Fund (UNICEF) Job Recruitment

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 46
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.