Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,151,117 members, 7,811,137 topics. Date: Sunday, 28 April 2024 at 02:18 AM

My Funny Interview Experience With A Foreign Firm - Jobs/Vacancies - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Jobs/Vacancies / My Funny Interview Experience With A Foreign Firm (39360 Views)

My Friends Funny Interview Experience / 4 Things You Need To Work For A Foreign Firm Remotely From Nigeria / My Friend's Interview Experience With A Company In Lekki (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (Reply) (Go Down)

My Funny Interview Experience With A Foreign Firm by Supreme145(m): 10:08pm On Feb 09, 2022
After sending loads of applications for remote web dev positions throughout December without success I stopped applying and went into blockchain development. Last week I was replying a message on my LinkedIn account when I saw this jnr WordPress developer vacancy that popped up. I just applied since it takes less than a minute to do so on LinkedIn.

I was surprised when they sent me a mail two days later with a link to an assessment which I took and submitted. They got back to me some days later to fix an interview date, I choose Feb 9 among the listed options. The time options included 7pm, 7:15pm and 7:30pm and I chose the 1st option. The interview was supposed to last for just 15 minutes.

I left Chelsea's match that I was watching at half time to prepare for my interview. I asked one of my Nairaland friends for data and he sent me 3gb, I was all set up by 6:44 pm with a Bluetooth that I borrowed from a friend for the occasion. I didn't want any stories. If only I knew what was lying in wait for me....6:52 pm.....Boom!!! NEPA took light.

My laptop was fully charged but knowing fully well that my battery was not trustworthy, it would last 2 hours when it's in a good mood and 5 minutes on it's angry days. I grabbed my charger and extension and ran off to a nearby restaurant in my area. You think Usian Bolt can run baa? If you see my speed this evening you will like me. It was a combination of Bolt and Ben Johnson. I ran like a criminal that was escaping an angry mob about to lynch him, with the way I was grabbing my PC under my armpit I could easily be mistaken for a thief by the way.

I got there by 6:59 pm, plugged my stuffs and connected to the zoom call by 7: 02 pm, the beautiful oyinbo woman was already waiting. While she was in a well lit apartment, I was in a place with red and blue bulbs with my face barely visible even though I supported the light with my phone torch light flashing straight to my face.

She smiled immediately I came online, and murmured something, omo the Bluetooth was not connected o. Something I tested before connecting to the call, I was fumbling with my Bluetooth settings while she kept talking and gesticulating if I could hear her. The Bluetooth was connected to the system but was somehow not working, she saved me from my misery when she suggested we port to google meet for the interview.

I used the opportunity to check my Bluetooth settings well and connected to the call through a link she sent to my mail almost immediately. In the middle of the interview the restaurant gen went off throwing everywhere into darkness.... Omo!!!

I had to keep shining teeth and stretching my small eyes to its elastic limit because they were the only visible things from my end. She burst into laughter and I couldn't help but join her. It was as if she was in heaven calling someone in hell. I apologized and she told me not to worry that she understands amidst another bout of laughter that she was struggling to contain.

She shaa finished the interview with the normal I will get back to you after accessing the performance of other candidates, I still apologized for my interview settings hoping it won't affect my chances, she assured me that it won't have any bearing on her decision making as regards to selection of the successful candidate. She couldn't stop smiling throughout the interview that lasted for like 20 mins.

I packed my kaya and went home. I laughed my heart out while I narrated everything to my friend who rolled on the floor with laughter. The image of my eyes and teeth in darkness was so hilarious. This was actually my first interview and it will definitely live long in my memory.

Have you experienced something similar?? Please share for the fun

583 Likes 51 Shares

Re: My Funny Interview Experience With A Foreign Firm by otipoju(m): 10:15pm On Feb 09, 2022
I would be interested in knowing the outcome of this story. Ill let you know my thoughts after you receive a response. Please mention me when thereis an update.

153 Likes 8 Shares

Re: My Funny Interview Experience With A Foreign Firm by slan87(m): 10:15pm On Feb 09, 2022
I can't help than to join you guys in laughter, positive response from the firm bro

119 Likes 4 Shares

Re: My Funny Interview Experience With A Foreign Firm by Supreme145(m): 10:18pm On Feb 09, 2022
otipoju:
I would be interested in knowing the outcome of this story. Ill let you know my thoughts after you receive a response. Please mention me when therr is an update.
Sure baba I will

22 Likes

Re: My Funny Interview Experience With A Foreign Firm by Supreme145(m): 10:19pm On Feb 09, 2022
slan87:
I can't help than to join you guys in laughter, positive response from the firm bro
Amen

17 Likes 1 Share

Re: My Funny Interview Experience With A Foreign Firm by Freestainworld(m): 10:19pm On Feb 09, 2022
grin grin grin grin grin grin, my brother oyibo woman don confirm something,lol, but believe me,if the job belongs to you, you will surely get it.

205 Likes 3 Shares

Re: My Funny Interview Experience With A Foreign Firm by Nobody: 10:19pm On Feb 09, 2022
hhh funny..she already know how bad is Nigeria

29 Likes 2 Shares

Re: My Funny Interview Experience With A Foreign Firm by dawnomike(m): 10:29pm On Feb 09, 2022
Supreme145:
After sending loads of applications for remote web dev positions throughout December without success I stopped applying and went into blockchain development. Last week I was replying a message on my LinkedIn account when I saw this jnr WordPress developer vacancy that popped up. I just applied since it takes less than a minute to do so on LinkedIn.

I was surprised when they sent me a mail two days later with a link to an assessment which I took and submitted. They got back to me some days later to fix an interview date, I choose Feb 9 among the listed options. The time options included 7pm, 7:15pm and 7:30pm and I chose the 1st option. The interview was supposed to last for just 15 minutes.

I left Chelsea's match that I was watching at half time to prepare for my interview. I asked one of my Nairaland friends for data and he sent me 3gb, I was all set up by 6:44 pm with a Bluetooth that I borrowed from a friend for the occasion. I didn't want any stories. If only I knew what was lying in wait for me....6:52 pm.....Boom!!! NEPA took light.

My laptop was fully charged but knowing fully well that my battery was not trustworthy, it would last 2 hours when it's in a good mood and 5 minutes on it's angry days. I grabbed my charger and extension and ran off to a nearby restaurant in my area. You think Usian Bolt can run baa? If you see my speed this evening you will like me. It was a combination of Bolt and Ben John. I ran like a criminal that was escaping an angry mob about to lynch him, with the way I was grabbing my PC under my armpit I could easily be mistaken for a thief by the way.

I got there by 6:59 pm, plugged my stuffs and connected to the zoom call by 7: 02 pm, the beautiful oyinbo woman was already waiting. While she was in a well lit apartment, I was in a place with red and blue bulbs with my face barely visible even though I supported the light with my phone torch light flashing straight to my face.

She smiled immediately I came online, and murmured something, omo the Bluetooth was not connected o. Something I tested before connecting to the call, I was fumbling with my Bluetooth settings while she kept talking and gesticulating if I could hear her. The Bluetooth was connected to the system but was somehow not working, she saved me from my misery when she suggested we port to google meet for the interview.

I used the opportunity to check my Bluetooth settings well and connected to the call through a link she sent to my mail almost immediately. In the middle of the interview the restaurant gen went off throwing everywhere into darkness.... Omo!!!

I had to keep shining teeth and stretching my small eyes to its elastic limit because they were the only visible things from my end. She burst into laughter and I couldn't help but join her. It was as if she was in heaven calling someone in hell. I apologized and she told me not to worry that she understands amidst another bout of laughter that she was struggling to contain.

She shaa finished the interview with the normal I will get back to you after accessing the performance of other candidates, I still apologized for my interview settings hoping it won't affect my chances, she assured me that it won't have any bearing on her decision making as regards to selection of the successful candidate. She couldn't stop smiling throughout the interview that lasted for like 20 mins.

I packed my kaya and went home and narrated everything to my friend who rolled on the floor with laughter. This was actually my first interview and it will definitely live long in my memory.

I pray you get selected... I hope aside from the hiccups during the interview, your performance was worthy.

78 Likes 1 Share

Re: My Funny Interview Experience With A Foreign Firm by Supreme145(m): 10:34pm On Feb 09, 2022
dawnomike:
I pray you get selected... I hope aside from the hiccups during the interview, your performance was worthy.
The hiccups made the interview kinda fun shaa, I answered her questions to the best of my abilities. She kept nodding her head, don't know if it was out of sympathy or affirmation. I thought I would be nervous since it was my first interview but I wasn't.

109 Likes 2 Shares

Re: My Funny Interview Experience With A Foreign Firm by Lessonteacher(f): 10:40pm On Feb 09, 2022
What an experience!

5 Likes 2 Shares

Re: My Funny Interview Experience With A Foreign Firm by tensazangetsu20(m): 10:56pm On Feb 09, 2022
You applied for a few jobs and stopped. You never ready. You should be applying to jobs everyday like a job now and never take interviews to heart. The frustrations you got is just the beginning. You havent lost a job cause the company cant figure out how to pay you or shit internet or electricity. Theres no programmer working remotely who doesnt hate Nigeria with all the passion inside them.

133 Likes 5 Shares

Re: My Funny Interview Experience With A Foreign Firm by dreofGod(m): 11:00pm On Feb 09, 2022
Bro, I have a feeling that you've got the job and it might just be you deciding to take the job or not at the end. Also, the light issue will make it easier for the woman to remember you, she might have stored your name in her brain with 'power outage'.

160 Likes 9 Shares

Re: My Funny Interview Experience With A Foreign Firm by Myzubby(m): 11:55pm On Feb 09, 2022
I PRAY YOU GET THE JOB I JESUS NAME AMEN

Someone not very far from me will say na your village people wan fustrate you.

9 Likes 1 Share

Re: My Funny Interview Experience With A Foreign Firm by lordally(m): 12:02am On Feb 10, 2022
Supreme145:

Guy I don laugh die!!! grin grin

12 Likes 1 Share

Re: My Funny Interview Experience With A Foreign Firm by subcbouy: 12:18am On Feb 10, 2022
This kind tinz na testimony walai. He go shock you when alert go buzz your email.

10 Likes

Re: My Funny Interview Experience With A Foreign Firm by iTearHerToto: 12:30am On Feb 10, 2022
Who else didn't read the whole newspaper
Gather here
[img]https:///view/momo-mtg-gif-21487569.gif[/img]

17 Likes 4 Shares

Re: My Funny Interview Experience With A Foreign Firm by Supreme145(m): 1:05am On Feb 10, 2022
tensazangetsu20:
You applied for a few jobs and stopped. You never ready. You should be applying to jobs everyday like a job now and never take interviews to heart. The frustrations you got is just the beginning. You havent lost a job cause the company cant figure out how to pay you or shit internet or electricity. Theres no programmer working remotely who doesnt hate Nigeria with all the passion inside them.
I get your point baba, it's not like I gave up, I sent out over 200 applications within one month when nothing was forthcoming I had to slow down and reinforce so as to come up with a better portfolio.

70 Likes 4 Shares

Re: My Funny Interview Experience With A Foreign Firm by kingPhidel(m): 4:34am On Feb 10, 2022
The stress we go through every day because our leaders refuse to put in place sustainable infrastructure to make us better. I’m tired of this kwantry

81 Likes 6 Shares

Re: My Funny Interview Experience With A Foreign Firm by Avast(m): 5:31am On Feb 10, 2022
Supreme145:

I get your point baba, it's not like I gave up, I sent out over 200 applications within one month when nothing was forthcoming I had to slow down and reinforce so as to come up with a better portfolio.

Those people praying above that you will get the job are hypocrites......If they are the owner of the company or the interviewer can they give you the job.

What you need to carry out the job is electricity and they have noticed that on the day one.

You will surely get the job if they decided to give but not everything is about prayers.

Boss please don't relent as tensazangetsu20 has said. I pray that you get a job that will favour you. Amen

46 Likes 3 Shares

Re: My Funny Interview Experience With A Foreign Firm by beautyhd: 5:41am On Feb 10, 2022
Your write up is hilarious.

You humorously told your story and I hope you get the job.

I did very well in a written interview, they actually sent a mail to that effect. The oral was virtual and erratic network in my house disgraced my ancestors and not me. The network affected me badly and I didn't later get the job.

Something I tried before then with my brother and it was top notch, then boom on that day village people kept vigil.

37 Likes 4 Shares

Re: My Funny Interview Experience With A Foreign Firm by otemeh01(m): 6:06am On Feb 10, 2022
beautyhd:
Your write up is hilarious.

You humorously told your story and I hope you get the job.

I did very well in a written interview, they actually sent a mail to that effect. The oral was virtual and erratic network in my house disgraced my ancestors and not me. The network affected me badly and I didn't later get the job.

Something I tried before then with my brother and it was top notch, then boom on that day village people kept vigil.

Honestly things like this are bond to happen when u find urself in this country. That's why you need to think ahead and subscribe to more than one network provider so that u can just switch.
There was this online test I took recently, I subbed MTN and Glo. On the D-Day, Glo had issues so, I switched to MTN. The network con dey fumble. And webcam dey monitor me. I nor fit standup go check wetin dey do my network. Besides, they talk say they no want noise o. Person from nowhere just go back of window begin play music. I just dey smile dey look screen but I just dey wish say I fit go shout for that person. Before I submit that test eh, na war.

68 Likes 3 Shares

Re: My Funny Interview Experience With A Foreign Firm by donproject2(m): 6:26am On Feb 10, 2022
Supreme145:

My laptop was fully charged but knowing fully well that my battery was not trustworthy, it would last 2 hours when it's in a good mood and 5 minutes on it's angry days. I grabbed my charger and extension and ran off to a nearby restaurant in my area. You think Usian Bolt can run baa? If you see my speed this evening you will like me. It was a combination of Bolt and Ben Johnson. I ran like a criminal that was escaping an angry mob about to lynch him, with the way I was grabbing my PC under my armpit I could easily be mistaken for a thief by the way.

I packed my kaya and went home. I laughed my heart out while I narrated everything to my friend who rolled on the floor with laughter. The image of my eyes and teeth in darkness was so hilarious. This was actually my first interview and it will definitely live long in my memory.

Please quote me whenever you get a response. Can't stop laughing grin grin grin grin

10 Likes

Re: My Funny Interview Experience With A Foreign Firm by Trainee223: 7:01am On Feb 10, 2022
The job is already yours bro... Naija an power shortage is like women and money grin

5 Likes

Re: My Funny Interview Experience With A Foreign Firm by Sleeeeeeeeeem: 7:18am On Feb 10, 2022
Lmao
My friend's was a network issue, he kept nodding when he wasn't hearing anything using the opportunity to switch from Airtel to Mtn to smile back to airtel. All of a sudden he saw that the call was terminated. He then sent a mail confessing everything that had happened and apologizing, He got a reply that he agreed to stop the interview because he wasn't comfortable by nodding. He got a second chance but he got a better offer elsewhere. Nigeria will shame you.

49 Likes 3 Shares

Re: My Funny Interview Experience With A Foreign Firm by SailorUgo(m): 7:18am On Feb 10, 2022
Me that went for one interview with one Chinese restaurant on the island few years ago, the manager no dey available. I waited from 10am wey the interview was slated for till 5pm, still no sign of the manager.

I just beg them make Dem give me some of their staff food as hunger wan wound me.

Dem give me draw soup and 2 fufu, I go outside buy extra 3 fufu cheesy

I was sweating on the food when the Chinese manager walked in... Me I just bone cool , me wen don make up my mind say even if I no get the job, the quality of that draw soup don make my day grin

Las las I got the job to work in one of their lekki outlet.

But Nigeria go embarrass you on a norm embarassed

81 Likes 4 Shares

Re: My Funny Interview Experience With A Foreign Firm by Supreme145(m): 7:51am On Feb 10, 2022
donproject2:

Please quote me whenever you get a response. Can't stop laughing grin grin grin grin
I will boss
Re: My Funny Interview Experience With A Foreign Firm by MissSweet(f): 8:09am On Feb 10, 2022
Sleeeeeeeeeem:
Lmao
My friend's was a network issue, he kept nodding when he wasn't hearing anything using the opportunity to switch from Airtel to Mtn to smile back to airtel. All of a sudden he saw that the call was terminated. He then sent a mail confessing everything that had happened and apologizing, He got a reply that he agreed to stop the interview because he wasn't comfortable by nodding. He got a second chance but he got a better offer elsewhere. Nigeria will shame you.

8 Likes

Re: My Funny Interview Experience With A Foreign Firm by africonn: 8:20am On Feb 10, 2022
Supreme145:

I will boss

Dey applied for technical writing role or other managerial roles. You too funny abeg grin.

Forget this one, e don go. Power outage for remote work is a turn off.

13 Likes

Re: My Funny Interview Experience With A Foreign Firm by talk2hb1(m): 8:20am On Feb 10, 2022
Supreme145:

Nigeria Factor, when you think you have scaled through one hurdle something keep pulling you back.
I had about 2 of such experience, one with Andela another with a foreign IT Firm.
Lesson learnt include invest in work tools (Laptop, power supplies which include Generator, Solar Inverter, Tables, Chairs, headset)

31 Likes 3 Shares

Re: My Funny Interview Experience With A Foreign Firm by Maj196(m): 8:27am On Feb 10, 2022
As a dev in Nigeria just look for an onsite job at least you are safe. Or else everything go frustrate you. Nepa, laptop, Network, Neighbor, Family sad

2 Likes 2 Shares

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (Reply)

20 Highest Paying Jobs In Nigeria / Test Venues For 2014 NNPC Recruitment Test / CBN (central Bank Of Nigeria) 2nd Recruitment 2012, Latest Massive Job Vacancies

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 78
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.