Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,742 members, 7,809,838 topics. Date: Friday, 26 April 2024 at 03:47 PM

Dealing With Criticism As A Christian Body - Religion - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Religion / Dealing With Criticism As A Christian Body (1594 Views)

Dealing With Misconceptions : Do We Receive Mansions In Heaven? Errmmm / Korede Bello’s Invitation To Sing At Popular Church Attracts Criticism / Things That A Christian Shouldn't Buy Or Sell (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Dealing With Criticism As A Christian Body by Softee(f): 12:00am On Feb 17, 2006
If you go through all the religion forums, you will see how much critisism christians get. Now i have a problem, as a result of this i get angry because it hurts when somone is dissing my Gather and my God, Afterall he does deserve all the praise, respect, adoration and time. So how do we deal with it?

God Bless You All!
Re: Dealing With Criticism As A Christian Body by Softee(f): 12:00am On Feb 17, 2006
Gather?? LOL My Father**
Re: Dealing With Criticism As A Christian Body by GL(f): 1:25am On Feb 17, 2006
Personally, I believe that ppl ought to give some allowance for criticism. We should think over constructive criticism. For those who just want to destroy our faith, let's ignore them. If possible, we should pray for them. God loves them too.
Re: Dealing With Criticism As A Christian Body by Softee(f): 1:28am On Feb 17, 2006
True, but its very upsetting that people can't see the light
Re: Dealing With Criticism As A Christian Body by Seun(m): 2:47am On Feb 17, 2006
It might also be that you are wrong. Ask muslims and they will tell you that.
Re: Dealing With Criticism As A Christian Body by Softee(f): 11:50pm On Feb 17, 2006
Wrong? that can not be an option. Yeah we as christians may get Gods teaching wrong at times but the holy spirit can whip us in to shape. We are not wrong, what we believe in is right.
Re: Dealing With Criticism As A Christian Body by Seun(m): 1:36am On Feb 18, 2006
What if Islam is the one true religion?
Re: Dealing With Criticism As A Christian Body by Softee(f): 1:42am On Feb 18, 2006
I didn't make this forum for arguing but im just going to say it as it is. Islam is not the "one true religion" because my bible does not say so. There is 101 things i can say to show you but i don't feel that it is needed. God will show himself to you when he wants to/if you allow him too, and then you will know that Jesus is the way, the truth and the life.

For God so loved the world that he gave his only begotten son, that he who shall believe in him, shall not perish but have everlasting life.
Re: Dealing With Criticism As A Christian Body by allonym: 3:42am On Feb 18, 2006
The Koran doesn't say that Christianity is the one true religion.

So, both of your books are wrong.

1 Like

Re: Dealing With Criticism As A Christian Body by choiceA: 12:46pm On Feb 18, 2006
Softee,

It's going to be an uphill task to get rational answers from people viewing this thread if it was simply created for stereotyped answers. Certainly, anyone visiting it to read comments might have questions; some might even break the rules sometimes and say things with foul language that you consider just illusive, offensive or otherwise incoherent. Perhaps, it might be a little more helpful to welcome views both agreeing and dissenting as to the rational of your faith in Jesus Christ. In other words, why do you believe that Christianity makes more sense than any other worldview? Never lose sight of the title of this thread - "Dealing with Criticism" - and expect people to both criticise and appraise what they read here. Criticisms are as legitimate as the topic itself.

In all probability, it would have been almost impossible for me to trust in Jesus Christ as my Lord and Saviour if the questions of my hardened skeptic mind received no rational answers. Nevermind if you don't have all the answers to the questions people ask: lovingly tell them the ones you know; leave a few more for some other Christians who might be more mature than you and me. Both ways, we'll be blessed. Jesus was criticised all round. Let's learn from Him who calls us to follow in His footsteps. wink
Re: Dealing With Criticism As A Christian Body by Softee(f): 2:37pm On Feb 18, 2006
choice.A:

Softee,

It's going to be an uphill task to get rational answers from people viewing this thread if it was simply created for stereotyped answers. Certainly, anyone visiting it to read comments might have questions; some might even break the rules sometimes and say things with foul language that you consider just illusive, offensive or otherwise incoherent. Perhaps, it might be a little more helpful to welcome views both agreeing and dissenting as to the rational of your faith in Jesus Christ. In other words, why do you believe that Christianity makes more sense than any other worldview? Never lose sight of the title of this thread - "Dealing with Criticism" - and expect people to both criticise and appraise what they read here. Criticisms are as legitimate as the topic itself.

In all probability, it would have been almost impossible for me to trust in Jesus Christ as my Lord and Saviour if the questions of my hardened skeptic mind received no rational answers. Nevermind if you don't have all the answers to the questions people ask: lovingly tell them the ones you know; leave a few more for some other Christians who might be more mature than you and me. Both ways, we'll be blessed. Jesus was criticised all round. Let's learn from Him who calls us to follow in His footsteps. wink

Yeah i think your right
Re: Dealing With Criticism As A Christian Body by Softee(f): 2:46pm On Feb 18, 2006
allonym:

The Koran doesn't say that Christianity is the one true religion.

So, both of your books are wrong.

allonym,

The Holy Book of christians is not wrong. The Bible dosen't directly say " ONLY CHRISTIANS ARE GOING TO HEAVEN". But it does say :

John 14:6
Jesus said to him, "I am the way, and the truth, and the life. No one comes to the Father except through me.

Matthew 10:33
but whoever denies me before men, I also will deny before my Father who is in heaven.
Re: Dealing With Criticism As A Christian Body by allonym: 9:04am On Feb 22, 2006
Softee:

allonym,

The Holy Book of christians is not wrong. The Bible dosen't directly say " ONLY CHRISTIANS ARE GOING TO HEAVEN". But it does say :

John 14:6
Jesus said to him, "I am the way, and the truth, and the life. No one comes to the Father except through me.

Matthew 10:33
but whoever denies me before men, I also will deny before my Father who is in heaven.

Ok, here is the problem. There are many holy books. There is no way you can tell me one is the absolute right one. I'm not saying I'm closed to the idea. . but I have not yet seen/heard/read any good reason from anyone why their "book" is right, and everyone else has the wrong book
Re: Dealing With Criticism As A Christian Body by Softee(f): 11:17pm On Feb 22, 2006
Allonym,

I can sit here and give you 101 reasons why Gods book (Bible) is the one true book. But i can guarentee you there will be an humanly answer to it (who made God etc.). What i mean is that the spiritual world is differen't then what we are living in because the devil has tempted humans and has suceeded, and as a result of this, we as men have messed up society. As for proof, the Bible made PLENTY of prophecies that is going to happen in the world towards the end and they are happening now. This will be a good website to find out more about it. http://www.aboutbibleprophecy.com/

The bible also teaches a lot about False Teachings (Religions) that may sound convincing but are not true. After all is said and done if you really want to know God. Open your heart and do good by him and he will reveal himself to you!
Re: Dealing With Criticism As A Christian Body by allonym: 3:25am On Feb 24, 2006
A proof is circular if in order to validate the proof, you cite the proof as an assumption.

Other words are self sustaining or self referential.

Proving that the bible is in fact correct requires evidence external to the bible. If your only proof that the bible is correct is based on the bible, then you have no proof at all.

What is the difference between the bible and if I wrote a book which said most of the same thing. In a couple thousand years, I too could have founded a religion full of people who believe without question every world in my "book". What makes the book correct? Only that in the "book" I say the "book" is the only truth and everything else while it may seem to make sense is actually a lie.

If I were to write a book that makes those kinds of statements, you'd never believe them and you'd dismiss the book as being full of sh*t.

So you see, telling me that because a book says it is the truth and everything else is a lie, is not enough to convince me. Since I have the ability to actually create a book which says similar or the same thing ON MY OWN, it is not impossible that YOUR "book" was created in the SAME manner.

And if you try to tell me that the "book" says it was not created in that manner. , then you should reread this post and come up with another response.
Re: Dealing With Criticism As A Christian Body by Softee(f): 9:21pm On Feb 24, 2006
allonym,

If you wrote a book, tell me:

How can you make over 100 prophecies about the world in 2000 years time? (that came true)
How can you reach the hearts of all 'your belivers'?
How can you make 'miracales' in their lives?
How can you speak to 'your belivers' through other people?
How can you make a man out of dust?

You can't can you! ONLY GOD CAN. Because right now your looking at the humanly side of things. You have got to think spiritually and open your heart and listen and hear these things out, because they are real, they exist. The Bible is real, its the word of God, but if you really want a relationship with God, its God you should be talking to not judging the bible. He will show you things! but its up to you to make the change.

I can try me hardest to convince you that the bible is real, but its all going to sound confusing to you. Until you open your heart and feel God.
Re: Dealing With Criticism As A Christian Body by allonym: 12:18am On Mar 01, 2006
Softee:

allonym,

If you wrote a book, tell me:

How can you make over 100 prophecies about the world in 2000 years time? (that came true)
How can you reach the hearts of all 'your belivers'?
How can you make 'miracales' in their lives?
How can you speak to 'your belivers' through other people?
How can you make a man out of dust?

You can't can you! ONLY GOD CAN. Because right now your looking at the humanly side of things. You have got to think spiritually and open your heart and listen and hear these things out, because they are real, they exist. The Bible is real, its the word of God, but if you really want a relationship with God, its God you should be talking to not judging the bible. He will show you things! but its up to you to make the change.

I can try me hardest to convince you that the bible is real, but its all going to sound confusing to you. Until you open your heart and feel God.

Prophecies? You act as if the bible was all written at once by one person. Even most christians agree that the bible was written by many people over centuries of time.

So, it is easy:

1) I write a book where I "predict" things that have already happened. That is easy. . .its now called a history book.
2) I don't need to reach the hearts of anyone. . the idiots will take care of that long after I'm gone.
3) Miracles! All I have to do is tell them that it is a miracle I allowed them to wake up in the morning. . .that way, if they wake up in the morning INSTANT miracle credited to ME.
4) To speak to believers through other people. . .HA, I just need CON men who pretend that I'm speaking to them.
5) I can write in the book that I made man out of water. . .dust is sooo 1990's.

So, you see, I CAN!

Funny how my math teachers never had to tell me to open up my heart and believe 1 + 1 is 2. Laws don't say anything about "opening up your heart". Nobody had to tell me to open up my heart and believe that the sky has a blue color on a clear day. . . I certainly don't ever remember opening up my heart to be convinced of anything else that NOBODY will disagree with as being true.

So, if you want to convince me, you gotta do better than "open up your heart".

How is that any different from you saying, "I'm God, if you open up your heart and believe, you will see the truth".
Re: Dealing With Criticism As A Christian Body by allonym: 12:28am On Mar 01, 2006
Here is something i'm paraphrasing from a section of an economics textbook:

Q. Why are women more likely to stay at home and raise children instead of working a job?
A. Because women tend to earn less than men.

Q. Why do women earn less than men?
A. Because they don't have the skills to earn as much.

Q. Why don't women have the skills to earn as much as men?
A. Because they stay home and raise children.

I'm not going to say anything about what that section was talking about or about the validity of those questions and answers.

From a logical point of view, there is something inherently wrong with that series of questions and its answers . . .really, the answers. If you (this means anyone reading this) cannot see what is wrong with that section of Q and A, there is no point in trying to argue with me. Those who can see what is wrong and still want to argue with me, don't get caught making that same mistake.
Re: Dealing With Criticism As A Christian Body by Softee(f): 9:17pm On Mar 01, 2006
allonym,

Nope Gods holy spirit talks to christians (which i have expirience myself). You cannot do that. But anyways i have better things to do than argue about how i know God is real. If you really want to know, open your heart and all is revealed. If you just want to argue than please don't choose to do it with me!
Re: Dealing With Criticism As A Christian Body by Softee(f): 1:10am On Mar 02, 2006
Softee:

allonym,

Nope Gods holy spirit talks to christians (which i have expirience myself). You cannot do that. But anyways i have better things to do than argue about how i know God is real. If you really want to know, open your heart and all is revealed. If you just want to argue than please don't choose to do it with me!

A big apology for the way i acted earlier, i was a bit stressed and just felt like i was being patronised by you. I'm sorry because i didn't act in a very christian way.

Colossians 4:5-6
Live wisely among those who are not Christians, and make the most of every opportunity. Let your conversation be gracious and effective so that you will have the right answer for everyone.
Re: Dealing With Criticism As A Christian Body by allonym: 5:00am On Mar 02, 2006
If a person's proof for God's existence is:

God will speak to you and then you will know,

Since, there exists the possibility that God will NOT speak to me and I will never know. Therefore, that cannot be a proof.

I'm not trying to be mean, just stating the facts. There is a difference between saying what you believe and proving it. I have nothing against (most) of what people believe. My ears perk up when people start talking about hard facts and logical constructs.
Re: Dealing With Criticism As A Christian Body by tpia5: 6:20am On Jul 08, 2013
from the archives

(1) (Reply)

The Great Myth Of The Sun Gods / Did Evangelist T.b Joshua Predict London Riots? You Decide / Official Thread Of Calvary Army Ministries, Ejigbo, Lagos

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 54
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.