Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,151,604 members, 7,812,976 topics. Date: Tuesday, 30 April 2024 at 12:55 AM

Know Your Meter - Science/Technology - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Science/Technology / Know Your Meter (815 Views)

How To Borrow Credit On Prepaid Meter In Nigeria / How Do I Load The Activation Token On My Conlog Prepaid Meter? / Prepaid Meter Codes| How To Recharge & Check Balance (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply)

Know Your Meter by cyborg123(m): 7:37pm On Feb 13, 2022
In this thread I will explain the basics of electrical energy meters.

In my professional experience, I have observed that many people do not have a basic understanding of how their meters work, thereby giving rise to many unnecessary complaints and general dissatisfaction.

The points I make in this thread may be a little biased towards a particular brand of meters that I currently have more knowledge of, though the same principles apply to almost every product in the market.

If you have any problem with the operation/use of your energy (prepaid) meter, you can state it at any point in the thread and I will try my best to guide you on what to do.

Note that tampering with your meter is against the law and I will not advise you in that line.

Re: Know Your Meter by cyborg123(m): 9:42am On Feb 14, 2022
Standard household meters come in one of the following packages:

1. Compact: This type of meter comes as a single unit. To recharge or check your balance or usage parameters with this type of meter, you will need to press the keypad attached to the casing of the meter itself. The picture above is an example of a compact meter.

2. Split: This type of meter comes as a dual unit. The meter itself has a smaller unit called the Customer Interface Unit (CIU) or User Interface Unit (UIU) attached to it. To recharge or check your balance or usage parameters with this type of meter, you will need to press the keypad attached to the CIU/UIU.

For the CIU/UIU to communicate with the meter, a wired or wireless link needs to be established between them. The commonly used links are
(a) RS-485 (Wired)
(b) M-Bus (Wired)
(c) PLC (Wired)
(d) Wi-Fi (Wireless)
(e) GPRS (Wireless)
More information to come on each type in my next post.

3. Hybrid: This type of meter comes with a CIU/UIU and also has a keypad on the meter. It can work both as a Compact and Split meter simultaneously. An example is shown below:

Re: Know Your Meter by cyborg123(m): 9:47am On Feb 17, 2022
RS-485 Split:

To identify this kind of meter, the cable connecting the meter to the UIU/CIU will usually have four wires inside it. Two of these wires power the UIU while the other two carry the communication signals between the meter and the UIU/CIU.

The cable from the meter is terminated by a plug with four points, usually designed to be pluggable in one direction only so that the installer can not make the mistake of inserting it wrongly. Despite this, it is noticed that some people still forcefully insert this plug wrongly, thereby damaging the meter and/or UIU.

Take care to insert the plug in the right orientation if you must unplug your RS-485 UIU/CIU for any reason.

Samples of this plug and the RS-485 set-up are attached below:

(1) (Reply)

Hello Rummies / Help Plssssss / Niit Scholarship

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 13
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.