Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,155,627 members, 7,827,342 topics. Date: Tuesday, 14 May 2024 at 10:49 AM

Oshodi Underbridge Where Homeless Children Find ‘Comfort’ - Travel - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Travel / Oshodi Underbridge Where Homeless Children Find ‘Comfort’ (44491 Views)

Think Well Before You ‘Japa’ — Nigerian Man Shows Homeless People In US (Video) / Apongbon Underbridge Lagos On Fire, Please Be Careful As you Plan Your Day / Homeless Nigerian Man In USA, Walks The Street Aimlessly (Photos) (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (Reply) (Go Down)

Oshodi Underbridge Where Homeless Children Find ‘Comfort’ by lalasticlala(m): 8:19am On Feb 15, 2022
Inside Oshodi underbridge where homeless kids find ‘comfort’

Oshodi, a suburb of Lagos, Southwestern Nigeria, is debatably one of the notorious places in Lagos metropolis riddled with hoodlums, fraudsters, pickpockets, and bag snatchers.

Among these are a large percentage of out-of-school children and homeless kids who find succour in sleeping under the bridge to survive the shackles of the night.

Down memory lane, the term ‘sleep under a bridge’ was coined in the ’60s and ’70s, at the start of Nigeria’s industrialisation, when Lagos made its earliest claim to becoming Nigeria’s commercial hub, harbouring scores of migrants from smaller, less-commercial Nigerian cities who made a staple that represented the struggle.

Findings revealed some of these people came to Lagos for the opportunity and a go at greener pasture pursuit, without a support system, so they slept under bridges and in unholy places till they could afford homes.

The rate of homeless kids in Lagos, especially Oshodi where some children spoke to Quest Times’ AROGBONLO ISRAEL has skyrocketed in recent times.

In a bid to find out how these children manage to survive the harshness of the night, our reporter studied this demographic for one month by interacting with them to be able to unravel some of their untold stories.

Out-of-school children
One of the children identified simply as Adeyemi told Quest Times that he dropped out of school in 2016 when he was in JSS 3.

“I have been living here (Oshodi underbridge) since after the death of my mother in 2016. My father is late as well. I have some of my friends who smoke but I always advise them to stop.

“Living under the bridge has not been easy but I have no choice seeing as there is no one to run to for assistance,”
said the 18-year-old hustler.

Michael, a potter, became homeless after he could not find his way back home since he had no money to transport himself following the alleged abandonment of his uncle who reportedly brought him from the village (name undisclosed) to Lagos.

Another respondent who identified himself as Odunayo Ayomide said part of the challenges faced while sleeping under the bridge was neglect and hatred by the market women who he claimed treated them with disdain following their social status.

“I don’t like this place anymore. I would like to go further my education if I can get a sponsor,” says the SSS 3 dropout.

Quest Times also spoke to a 10-year-old boy (name withheld) who is a drug addict.

According to him, he was lured into smoking at age 8 when he absconded from home “due to poverty” and has been sleeping under the bridge since then.

Lovebirds under the bridge
Interestingly, Quest Times reporter caught up with two teenagers who have been lovers for months under the bridge.

When asked how they fend for themselves despite their present state, the teenage girl identified simply as Kehinde said her boyfriend (Olajide) had to hustle by pottering around doing a few odd jobs such as hawking, shadowing (transport business), and carrying loads for people.

Kehinde left Ibadan for Lagos after “too much suffering at home” to join her friend (Tope) who has been sleeping at Oshodi underbridge a couple of months before her arrival.

She could not hide her emotions when asked if their love story would end up in marriage.

“Yes, I would like to marry him (Olajide) if God says so,” she emphatically replied.

Olajide on the other hand, ran out of home when he could no longer feel safe staying under the care of his stepmother who has been nurturing him since his childhood.

He has been living under the bridge since 2021 just before the celebration of Ramadan.

Chess in Slums
Relief came as some of the children became actively engaged through the intervention of an initiative organised by Tunde Onakoya to reach out to homeless kids in the suburbs of Lagos.

According to Onakoya, the founder of Chess in Slums Africa, he was inspired to focus on this circle when one of them walked up to him one day to beg for money, and he couldn’t help but come up with a programme that would, in turn, get them busy and help them become better persons in the society.

“I’m engaging these children to teach them to dream and believe in the power of dreams because they are loaded with potentials that can be used for the betterment of the society at large,” he told Quest Times.

https://www.thequesttimes.com/inside-oshodi-underbridge-where-homeless-kids-find-comfort/

5 Likes 1 Share

Re: Oshodi Underbridge Where Homeless Children Find ‘Comfort’ by lexydobo(m): 8:26am On Feb 15, 2022
Ok sah
FTC since 2012
Chineke I’m truly blessed this week

21 Likes 1 Share

Re: Oshodi Underbridge Where Homeless Children Find ‘Comfort’ by Coded081(m): 8:26am On Feb 15, 2022
Hmm
Re: Oshodi Underbridge Where Homeless Children Find ‘Comfort’ by SLIDEwaxie(m): 8:26am On Feb 15, 2022
E plenty for warrisi o

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: Oshodi Underbridge Where Homeless Children Find ‘Comfort’ by Poorboy: 8:27am On Feb 15, 2022
Hmmmmm
Re: Oshodi Underbridge Where Homeless Children Find ‘Comfort’ by Perfecttouchade: 8:27am On Feb 15, 2022
Hmmm
Re: Oshodi Underbridge Where Homeless Children Find ‘Comfort’ by Omooba77: 8:27am On Feb 15, 2022

40 Likes

Re: Oshodi Underbridge Where Homeless Children Find ‘Comfort’ by anchor3447(m): 8:27am On Feb 15, 2022
Ftc for d first time

2 Likes

Re: Oshodi Underbridge Where Homeless Children Find ‘Comfort’ by Coded081(m): 8:27am On Feb 15, 2022
Hmm
Re: Oshodi Underbridge Where Homeless Children Find ‘Comfort’ by rottenPussy: 8:27am On Feb 15, 2022
A true definition of trenches

1 Like

Re: Oshodi Underbridge Where Homeless Children Find ‘Comfort’ by Bussyfamm(m): 8:27am On Feb 15, 2022
Abeg who know where to get fuel for Lagos?

6 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Oshodi Underbridge Where Homeless Children Find ‘Comfort’ by Cantonese: 8:27am On Feb 15, 2022
Na wah. This life self.
Re: Oshodi Underbridge Where Homeless Children Find ‘Comfort’ by incogni2o: 8:28am On Feb 15, 2022
I don't understand why some people will see something bad and try to glorify it .

Which on is WHERE HOMELESS CHILDREN FIND COMFORT.

A place where a lot of people have being robbed, even me not just one attempted robbery even my car was damaged.

A place where children who choose to live wayward find comfort.

A very dangerous place.

Likely more than 80% of them choose that path

There are a lot of other legit hustles than to find yourself there.

50 Likes 1 Share

Re: Oshodi Underbridge Where Homeless Children Find ‘Comfort’ by 1nigeriamyfoot: 8:28am On Feb 15, 2022
Oshodi never changed for good rather it get worse

Thanks to Tinubu & Musiliu Akinsanya

10 Likes 1 Share

Re: Oshodi Underbridge Where Homeless Children Find ‘Comfort’ by Kingosytex(m): 8:28am On Feb 15, 2022
anchor3447:
Ftc for d first time

Take it to the bank and cash out.

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Oshodi Underbridge Where Homeless Children Find ‘Comfort’ by Mooh247: 8:28am On Feb 15, 2022

Nigeria should build atleast 2 homeless shelter accross each 774 local government with mass cooking, hostel style bed hall, kitchen and bathrooms

Skill accusation Center and Adult and special kids home can also be annexed with it

They can use UAE charity model to fund it, where each shopping centre, business Center, government office, public space has a secured metal and glass box for donations

30 Likes 3 Shares

Re: Oshodi Underbridge Where Homeless Children Find ‘Comfort’ by IbrahimSkiba(f): 8:28am On Feb 15, 2022
tongue
Re: Oshodi Underbridge Where Homeless Children Find ‘Comfort’ by noskcid(m): 8:28am On Feb 15, 2022
This is the part of Lagos I hate with passion and that’s because someone made it so.
E GO SOON END SHA
MARK MY WORDS

2 Likes

Re: Oshodi Underbridge Where Homeless Children Find ‘Comfort’ by Flexherbal(m): 8:29am On Feb 15, 2022
The society has failed them.

1 Like

Re: Oshodi Underbridge Where Homeless Children Find ‘Comfort’ by donbachi(m): 8:29am On Feb 15, 2022
NURTW.
Mc oluomo boyz

2 Likes

Re: Oshodi Underbridge Where Homeless Children Find ‘Comfort’ by EndyEdesonNews(m): 8:30am On Feb 15, 2022
The chess guy is doing great to help less previlage kids

2 Likes

Re: Oshodi Underbridge Where Homeless Children Find ‘Comfort’ by Nobody: 8:30am On Feb 15, 2022
This is the real reason I am leaving this country. I think I need to start my life elsewhere and build a new place as my home.

After analyzing Nigeria, I have realized Nigeria will be like India. But with high rate of crime and corruption, Nigeria will be worse.

Nigeria is wasting its time praying to God. Let God send Michael, Gabriel, Uriel as our president, Nigeria cannot get better. Ask me why?

Our population is getting so high. I have been shouting and crying about this. There is no nation which can survive it. Nigeria has over 200 million people and it is not up to Texas which is a state in the US. While the US has a total population of just over 300million. So, how will Nigeria make it? In the next 5 years if Nigeria goes on multiplying like this, the population here will be more than that of the US. This will be car.zy.

Only Lagos has 21 million. Is this normal? In my opinion, Lagos should be more than 30millin. Tell me how Lagos can ever be clean. Tell me how we will be prosperous. What 1 person should have, about 50 are presently sharing it. Tell me how there can be prosperity in the Land. Tell me why there won't be cases like this. Tell me why there will not be hardened criminals.

Sweden, Norway, and many EU nations are under 10 million.

I have been saying that Nigeria must make a law to prohibit more than 1 child every 10 years. You want more than 1 child, wait for 10 years. If you violate it, the child will not be awarded Nigerian citizenship and you pay exactly the fees of foreigners for the child. And you dear not neglect the child. You neglect the child, you go to jail and the child is given to someone else to take care of and awarded Nigerian citizenship. Simple. When we do this, we will get serious.

If not, world power will depopulate us. Yes, they will. They have been warning us, but we are playing with it. We are playing with fire.

This issue is one of the foundational problems of Nigeria. A group of people who are controlled by their sex organs. This is a serious problem. Nigerians are gluttons. Yes.

I need to get out of this nation. This is getting serious.

36 Likes 9 Shares

Re: Oshodi Underbridge Where Homeless Children Find ‘Comfort’ by Yampotatocarrot(m): 8:32am On Feb 15, 2022
All these ones are stories... As much as it isn't right, don't let those boys catch you in a dark place when it's late, you'll REGRET coming across them.

Most of them there won't leave if you make provision for them to leave, aje... Na them full Agege/Pencinema now

Only thing I think can be done is using carrot and stick approach... If you use just carrot, they'll take you for granted and RETURN BACK.

10 Likes 1 Share

Re: Oshodi Underbridge Where Homeless Children Find ‘Comfort’ by ecomalchemist(m): 8:33am On Feb 15, 2022
The trenches will humble you.....

1 Like

Re: Oshodi Underbridge Where Homeless Children Find ‘Comfort’ by Passionate888: 8:36am On Feb 15, 2022
Lagos sef

1 Like

Re: Oshodi Underbridge Where Homeless Children Find ‘Comfort’ by BAVOSKI(m): 8:37am On Feb 15, 2022
And sanwolu is their saying rubbish about the two kids he saw by the roads side when they are just coming from an errands.... this is what he supposed to eradicate And Make live easy for these people

5 Likes 1 Share

Re: Oshodi Underbridge Where Homeless Children Find ‘Comfort’ by Shedrack777: 8:38am On Feb 15, 2022
this na fine place na
Re: Oshodi Underbridge Where Homeless Children Find ‘Comfort’ by Nobody: 8:39am On Feb 15, 2022
incogni2o:
I don't understand why some people will see something bad and try to glorify it .

Which on is WHERE HOMELESS CHILDREN FIND COMFORT.

A place where a lot of people have being robbed, even me not just one attempted robbery even my car was damaged.

A place where children who choose to live wayward find comfort.

A very dangerous place.

Likely more than 80% of them choose that path

There are a lot of other legit hustles than to find yourself there.

I truly understand everything you wrote... But then again nobody would love to be in those guys state...

I don't think they are happy with their situation

4 Likes 1 Share

(1) (2) (3) (Reply)

Fuel Tanker Crashes In Cross River State As Residents Rush With Gallons. Photos / Taxi Driver Manually Operating His Wiper During A Heavy Rain In Port Harcourt / See Photos Of Trailer Accident Which Happened At Apapa This Morning

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 33
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.