Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,419 members, 7,815,947 topics. Date: Thursday, 02 May 2024 at 09:51 PM

'New York Patient’ Becomes First Woman To Be ‘Cured Of HIV’ - Health - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Health / 'New York Patient’ Becomes First Woman To Be ‘Cured Of HIV’ (47456 Views)

Is Glaucoma Hereditary? Can It Be Cured? / Timothy Ray Brown: The First Person Cured Of HIV/AIDS / I Slept With 180 Prostitutes In 4 Years: Are These Signs & Symptoms Of HIV? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply) (Go Down)

'New York Patient’ Becomes First Woman To Be ‘Cured Of HIV’ by Omihanifa: 5:57am On Feb 16, 2022
A woman, referred to as ‘The New York patient’ for the sake of privacy, has reportedly become the first female to be cured of HIV.

The development was said to have been announced on Tuesday at a ‘Conference on Retroviruses and Opportunistic Infections’, held virtually.

According to NBC news, the patient, described as a person of “mixed race”, received treatment at the New York-Presbyterian Weill Cornell Medical Center in the US.

She was said to have been diagnosed with HIV in 2013, while she was confirmed to have leukemia in 2017

The treatment, said to involve use of blood drawn from the umbilical cord, also focuses on improving the immune system.

“The procedure used to treat the New York patient, known as a haplo-cord transplant, was developed by the Weill Cornell team to expand cancer treatment options for people with blood malignancies who lack HLA-identical donors,” the NBC news report reads.

“First, the cancer patient receives a transplant of umbilical cord blood, which contains stem cells that amount to a powerful nascent immune system. A day later, they receive a larger graft of adult stem cells.

The adult stem cells flourish rapidly, but over time they are entirely replaced by cord blood cells.”

According to the New York Times, although the researchers say they are still monitoring the recovery process, the woman has not been diagnosed with HIV in blood tests over the past 14 months.

Her treatment becomes significant considering that women constitute a higher percentage of HIV cases reported globally.

According to the statistics released by the Joint United Nations Programme on HIV/AIDS (UNAIDS) in 2021, “53% of all people living with HIV were women and girls”.

Meanwhile, prior to the latest development, two other men were said to have been cured of HIV in 2009 and 2019, respectively — through treatment by bone marrow transplant.

https://www.thecable.ng/breakthrough-new-york-patient-becomes-first-woman-to-be-cured-of-hiv/amp

51 Likes 5 Shares

Re: 'New York Patient’ Becomes First Woman To Be ‘Cured Of HIV’ by Golan007: 6:04am On Feb 16, 2022
Nice one

28 Likes 1 Share

Re: 'New York Patient’ Becomes First Woman To Be ‘Cured Of HIV’ by PENNYSWAP: 6:18am On Feb 16, 2022
hehehehehehehehehehehheheee wahala Dey Ooooooo........ The kind fvck that’s going on now wey Hiv Dey is ground breaking..... how much more when Hiv no dey again

163 Likes 12 Shares

Re: 'New York Patient’ Becomes First Woman To Be ‘Cured Of HIV’ by meobizy(f): 6:19am On Feb 16, 2022
The treatment, said to involve use of blood drawn from the umbilical cord, also focuses on improving the immune system.
Smells like bullshit. Another Nairaland update. DailyMail would have carried it long before bloggers here thought of the concept. Fake news until I’m shown otherwise.

23 Likes 1 Share

Re: 'New York Patient’ Becomes First Woman To Be ‘Cured Of HIV’ by Kosoco(m): 6:26am On Feb 16, 2022
Hmmmmmmm.....
Re: 'New York Patient’ Becomes First Woman To Be ‘Cured Of HIV’ by nnennachiji(f): 6:30am On Feb 16, 2022
meobizy:
Smells like bullshit. Another Nairaland update. DailyMail would have carried it long before bloggers here thought of the concept. Fake news until I’m shown otherwise.

It’s not fake news it’s the truth
I watched it on news here in the USA

219 Likes 10 Shares

Re: 'New York Patient’ Becomes First Woman To Be ‘Cured Of HIV’ by Goldbw122(m): 7:39am On Feb 16, 2022
Nice one, there are other disease that kill more than HIV NOW...

6 Likes 2 Shares

Re: 'New York Patient’ Becomes First Woman To Be ‘Cured Of HIV’ by obo389(m): 11:04am On Feb 16, 2022
meobizy:
Confirmed news.
Just watched it on Arise news not long ago.

51 Likes

Re: 'New York Patient’ Becomes First Woman To Be ‘Cured Of HIV’ by TempUser: 3:45pm On Feb 16, 2022
This is good news.

26 Likes 1 Share

Re: 'New York Patient’ Becomes First Woman To Be ‘Cured Of HIV’ by Spirit247: 3:45pm On Feb 16, 2022
grin Created by them and Cured by them. Covid manipulations has exposed all the Historical Big Pharma occult truths.

102 Likes 6 Shares

Re: 'New York Patient’ Becomes First Woman To Be ‘Cured Of HIV’ by bigdammyj: 3:45pm On Feb 16, 2022
Congrats!
Re: 'New York Patient’ Becomes First Woman To Be ‘Cured Of HIV’ by TempUser: 3:46pm On Feb 16, 2022
meobizy:
See dis guy. Na confam o! No sleep on top am!

22 Likes 3 Shares

Re: 'New York Patient’ Becomes First Woman To Be ‘Cured Of HIV’ by Baawaa(m): 3:46pm On Feb 16, 2022
Congratulations to the woman,testimony is the next thing
Re: 'New York Patient’ Becomes First Woman To Be ‘Cured Of HIV’ by OBALOLA55(m): 3:46pm On Feb 16, 2022
WHERE ARE MR AND MRS RAW DEM grin

6 Likes

Re: 'New York Patient’ Becomes First Woman To Be ‘Cured Of HIV’ by Nobody: 3:46pm On Feb 16, 2022
tongue

119 Likes 5 Shares

Re: 'New York Patient’ Becomes First Woman To Be ‘Cured Of HIV’ by iamyemiakins(m): 3:46pm On Feb 16, 2022
If this treatment gain ground for Nigeria ehn, most fornicators and adulterers go just dey dive in raw with reckless abandon grin

15 Likes

Re: 'New York Patient’ Becomes First Woman To Be ‘Cured Of HIV’ by bluefilm: 3:46pm On Feb 16, 2022
Wow!

Such a great news

Most especially for those of us who feel ashamed to buy condoms.

12 Likes 2 Shares

Re: 'New York Patient’ Becomes First Woman To Be ‘Cured Of HIV’ by YellowMayor(m): 3:46pm On Feb 16, 2022
Lori iro grin

1 Like

Re: 'New York Patient’ Becomes First Woman To Be ‘Cured Of HIV’ by FactBoyz: 3:46pm On Feb 16, 2022
grin
Re: 'New York Patient’ Becomes First Woman To Be ‘Cured Of HIV’ by WhatCanIsay(m): 3:46pm On Feb 16, 2022
I thought there was a British man cured of it about a decade ago?

Ok now I see, this is the first "woman."

8 Likes

Re: 'New York Patient’ Becomes First Woman To Be ‘Cured Of HIV’ by oluwaseyi0: 3:46pm On Feb 16, 2022
Mr unrighteousness right now

Yesterday God Putin refuse to end the world
Today HIV/AIDS cure is here

How now is he going to scare people, what is he going to tell them? the world is proving too stubborn it is refusing to end, what kind of wahala is this

Maybe he will just consider using ojuju Calabar as a new scare tactic maybe ...just maybe that might work

32 Likes

Re: 'New York Patient’ Becomes First Woman To Be ‘Cured Of HIV’ by elitejosef: 3:46pm On Feb 16, 2022
This is a great news o, HIV is finally defeated

Plz check my signature, I wan sell my samsung s8, intrested persons from benin kindly dm 75k
0705 -394_ 5239 WhatsApp number

1 Like

Re: 'New York Patient’ Becomes First Woman To Be ‘Cured Of HIV’ by kuntash: 3:46pm On Feb 16, 2022
meobizy:

Arise TV had it as it's news today

6 Likes

Re: 'New York Patient’ Becomes First Woman To Be ‘Cured Of HIV’ by joshjc(m): 3:46pm On Feb 16, 2022
This is wonderful
Re: 'New York Patient’ Becomes First Woman To Be ‘Cured Of HIV’ by ify01: 3:47pm On Feb 16, 2022
Interesting
Re: 'New York Patient’ Becomes First Woman To Be ‘Cured Of HIV’ by MrImole: 3:47pm On Feb 16, 2022
Na lie!

Continue to deceive yourselves.

Many HIV patients have been healed before now.

6 Likes 2 Shares

Re: 'New York Patient’ Becomes First Woman To Be ‘Cured Of HIV’ by alphaconde(m): 3:47pm On Feb 16, 2022
hiv and cancer which is worse
Re: 'New York Patient’ Becomes First Woman To Be ‘Cured Of HIV’ by FILEBE(m): 3:47pm On Feb 16, 2022
Hope this won't start an organ harvesting surge

6 Likes

Re: 'New York Patient’ Becomes First Woman To Be ‘Cured Of HIV’ by CalabarPikin: 3:47pm On Feb 16, 2022
People the get cure ever since naa..

I know at least two

2 Likes

Re: 'New York Patient’ Becomes First Woman To Be ‘Cured Of HIV’ by sukkot: 3:47pm On Feb 16, 2022
cheesy

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply)

Pastor Simon Abe Mashika Living With Bullet In His Skull For 14 Years (Photos) / Why Adolescent Mamie Sam Had Big Breasts - Plastic surgeon / Mycoplasma Genitalium: Scientists Confirm A New Sexually Transmitted Disease

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 30
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.