Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,151,148 members, 7,811,245 topics. Date: Sunday, 28 April 2024 at 07:32 AM

Experience My First Racism In U. K From Someone Who I Thought Was My Friend. - Travel - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Travel / Experience My First Racism In U. K From Someone Who I Thought Was My Friend. (57580 Views)

Nigerian Man Speaks Out Against Alleged Racism In Europe (video) / Christian Emeka Ibeagwa Dies In U.S.A. Do You Know Him? / My Experience Of Racism In America, What Africans Can Learn From It- Aroms Aigbe (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) ... (16) (Reply) (Go Down)

Experience My First Racism In U. K From Someone Who I Thought Was My Friend. by Right001: 3:57pm On Feb 19, 2022
When I moved to the U. K for my master. I stay in an flat which consist of many white English boys. So an England boy called Harry decided to show me the equipment in the apartment. So when we got to the kitchen he show me a dish washer which I did not care to look at and he responded that have I see a dish washer before? I was shock and told him of course have seen a dish washer and he reply that I did not want to sound rude but africa are poor and always hungry and I reply him do I look like someone that is poor and hungry and his respond was you are from the rich family in Africa and I told him clearly my parents are not rich that am just an average Nigerian boy and he his reply was it is impossible that you are either rich or poor in Africa and my response was that he should stop believing the propaganda been pass by CNN and BBC about Africa.

After that we bonded and we usually teese ourself and crack jokes. So during December period I was infected with covid 19 which all. Of them in the house have travel to their family home to spend Christmas and new year holiday. So during that mid January on Friday I was in the parlour with my white flatmates and we where just joking and catching fun then we started to talk about covid and I told them during the time they travel I contacted covid and Harry reply that he is going to kill me so I laugh and I thought it was one of the joke but he said he mean it and I started telling him that so do u expect me to call u in your family home and tell u I contacted covid and the others white where explaining to him and this guy started using abusing words against me telling me to return back to Africa and saying some nasty words about Africa and I told him if u have brief with me then challange me and stop picking on my continent and colour and he told me that he is going to insult my colour and continent that if I want to fight him then we should go to the garden to fight as man to man. I was just saying in my mind this man is looking for someone to kill him. I just ignore him and when I stop replying him he just calm down and left. What pain me most was when he left then all the white guys told me his crazy that I should not answer him and I was like when he was insulting me racially all of u where just watching him as if nothing happen. After some time he came back to the parlour and apologise to everyone except me for been a nusiance and after that he wanted to discuss with me and I shouted at him saying back off. After sometime he wanted talking to me and I just ignore him as if nobody is talking and after talking I just close my laptop and gave him a bad gesture and left the palour then he reply that I am looking at him as a vallian that he is not a bad guy.

The next day his girlfriend came visiting him and was smiling at me and i just reply her with a bone face and left. Then after sometime he came apologising to me that what he did to me was wrong that he did it under the influence of acholol which I know but I said to myself for him to say this to me when he was drunk meaning he has been harbouring such thoughts in his mind and the alcohol just gave him the courage to express his racist characters to me. I told him I forgive him but right now I don't trust any English people or white people because for such a guy to laugh and joke with u and still be a racist his something terrible. Abeg make una give bristish chance.

355 Likes 27 Shares

Re: Experience My First Racism In U. K From Someone Who I Thought Was My Friend. by MufasaLion: 4:01pm On Feb 19, 2022
This your write-up would be better and interesting to read if you could have paragraphs, punctuation marks and correct the words you spelt wrongly.

727 Likes 45 Shares

Re: Experience My First Racism In U. K From Someone Who I Thought Was My Friend. by MufasaLion: 4:02pm On Feb 19, 2022
SanctifiedSista:
angry
Don't be mad at him, all human are like that
It's because they have not surendered to CHRIST Jesus...forgive him and pray for his soul and don't keep malice with him

GOD is still exempting people from all evil
U are invited to church
How to attend?
1. Check for any house bearing winners banner at your house and ask them
2. On the mainland? U can simply stand at oshodi In front of the military market waving your white handkerchief and winners bus will stop for u from 6am
3. or call me or the number on the flyer

Must you always spam threads?

76 Likes 6 Shares

Re: Experience My First Racism In U. K From Someone Who I Thought Was My Friend. by Ynix(m): 4:06pm On Feb 19, 2022
Right001:
When I moved to the U. K for my master. I stay in an flat which consist of many white English boys. So an England boy called Harry decided to show me the equipment in the apartment.
Guy don't be trapped by his behaviors else you come to his level of reasoning and also miss great opportunities.
I don't believe in the white and black disparity, even if talked down on based on my race, I will still mingle because I am there for business.

191 Likes 10 Shares

Re: Experience My First Racism In U. K From Someone Who I Thought Was My Friend. by Right001: 4:07pm On Feb 19, 2022
MufasaLion:
This your write-up would better and interesting to read if you could have paragraphs, punctuation marks and correct the words you spelt wrongly.
I am working and typing at the same time that why

87 Likes 4 Shares

Re: Experience My First Racism In U. K From Someone Who I Thought Was My Friend. by MufasaLion: 4:09pm On Feb 19, 2022
Right001:

Oh, I dig. You can edit/delete and re-post it when you're off work.

54 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Experience My First Racism In U. K From Someone Who I Thought Was My Friend. by Right001: 4:10pm On Feb 19, 2022
MufasaLion:

Oh, I dig. You can edit/delete and re-post it when you're off work.
Thank u

12 Likes

Re: Experience My First Racism In U. K From Someone Who I Thought Was My Friend. by PlayerMeji: 4:18pm On Feb 19, 2022
Oga, you don't need to be mad at him.

Just tell him what the media says about an average young British.

Tell him about the knife stabbings, the hooliganism, idleness, etc... Tell him those were what you have been hearing from CNN and VOA..

Case closed, thank me later...

grin grin

315 Likes 20 Shares

Re: Experience My First Racism In U. K From Someone Who I Thought Was My Friend. by care4you: 4:31pm On Feb 19, 2022
I pitied him when he was picking where to fight (garden)....

In Nigeria we don't pick venue, everywhere is a war front. grin grin grin grin

Shout out to all Nigerians... it's not easy to be a Nigerian...

567 Likes 46 Shares

Re: Experience My First Racism In U. K From Someone Who I Thought Was My Friend. by VeeVeeMyLuv(m): 4:45pm On Feb 19, 2022
Bros I repeat that white boy is very very correct

For u to be able to travel to UK u are rich!

In this regime, there is only high & low class

This bloody regime with their deadly addons (recession, inflation, devaluation) have cleared the middle class that's the reason u ran to UK in the first place.

If there is middle class they are negligible.

Have you ever seen nollywood produce a prison movie where the prison is very big 3 storey? All what we see is a cell behind police station counter.

141 Likes 13 Shares

Re: Experience My First Racism In U. K From Someone Who I Thought Was My Friend. by MrBrownJay1(m): 5:01pm On Feb 19, 2022
when you argue with people, you try to hurt them thus say the things that you know will affect/hurt them....

14 Likes 3 Shares

Re: Experience My First Racism In U. K From Someone Who I Thought Was My Friend. by Isaacpromise1(m): 5:45pm On Feb 19, 2022
Bro, just know that every white person is a potential racist, on the surface they can profess love but a spark of event can bring out the racism in them. Know this and know peace.

Just flow along, don’t expect love from someone whose heart is full of hate.
You can flow with them but don’t bring yourself so low that they tramp on you anyhow. Put that guy in his lane !

164 Likes 16 Shares

Re: Experience My First Racism In U. K From Someone Who I Thought Was My Friend. by Nobody: 6:13pm On Feb 19, 2022
Isaacpromise1:
Bro, just know that every white person is a potential racist, on the surface they can profess love but a spark of event can bring out the racism in them. Know this and know peace.

You can flow with them but don’t bring yourself so low that they tramp on you anyhow. Put that guy in his lane !
Sad... At long as there's that difference

3 Likes 1 Share

Re: Experience My First Racism In U. K From Someone Who I Thought Was My Friend. by Bignuell(m): 7:17pm On Feb 19, 2022
Guy lemme be real with you. No everybody will tell you this but always watch your 6 in that house. The truth is mostly said when drunk. Just be professional with them. That's all

182 Likes 8 Shares

Re: Experience My First Racism In U. K From Someone Who I Thought Was My Friend. by RagnarLothbrok: 7:42pm On Feb 19, 2022
Guy, remember this- make yourself happy. The white racist in my flat in Australia treated me in a more subtle way. I really prefer your friend's brand of racism. The ones I experienced have perfected the method of doing you and pretending like you're the crazy one imagining things.

They even went as far as shielding the 19 year old white girl who lived in our flat from me cos of our closeness. I later found out they were afraid that she would fall for me. They would tease her and call her my puppy or lapdog. She soon began to move away. It was really depressing for me cos I never lived with such 'NICE PEOPLE', who weren't nice at all. They even had a WhatsApp group where they plan stuff, I later found out. I had to move out in search of my happiness and sanity.

Oyibo girl keeps chatting me up and bombing me with messages that she misses me and wants me to come back. Comeback kee you dia!

356 Likes 30 Shares

Re: Experience My First Racism In U. K From Someone Who I Thought Was My Friend. by arthurwillia(m): 7:46pm On Feb 19, 2022
Right001:
When I moved to the U. K for my master. I stay in an flat which consist of many white English boys. So an England boy called Harry decided to show me the equipment in the apartment. So when we got to the kitchen he show me a dish washer which I did not care to look at and he responded that have I see a dish washer before? I was shock and told him of course have seen a dish washer and he reply that I did not want to sound rude but africa are poor and always hungry and I reply him do I look like someone that is poor and hungry and his respond was you are from the rich family in Africa and I told him clearly my parents are not rich that am just an average Nigerian boy and he his reply was it is impossible that you are either rich or poor in Africa and my response was that he should stop believing the propaganda been pass by CNN and BBC about Africa.
After that we bonded and we usually teese ourself and crack jokes. So during December period I was infected with covid 19 which all. Of them in the house have travel to their family home to spend Christmas and new year holiday. So during that mid January on Friday I was in the parlour with my white flatmates and we where just joking and catching fun then we started to talk about covid and I told them during the time they travel I contacted covid and Harry reply that he is going to kill me so I laugh and I thought it was one of the joke but he said he mean it and I started telling him that so do u expect me to call u in your family home and tell u I contacted covid and the others white where explaining to him and this guy started using abusing words against me telling me to return back to Africa and saying some nasty words about Africa and I told him if u have brief with me then challange me and stop picking on my continent and colour and he told me that he is going to insult my colour and continent that if I want to fight him then we should go to the garden to fight as man to man. I was just saying in my mind this man is looking for someone to kill him. I just ignore him and when I stop replying him he just calm down and left. What pain me most was when he left then all the white guys told me his crazy that I should not answer him and I was like when he was insulting me racially all of u where just watching him as if nothing happen. After some time he came back to the parlour and apologise to everyone except me for been a nusiance and after that he wanted to discuss with me and I shouted at him saying back off. After sometime he wanted talking to me and I just ignore him as if nobody is talking and after talking I just close my laptop and gave him a bad gesture and left the palour then he reply that I am looking at him as a vallian that he is not a bad guy. The next day his girlfriend came visiting him and was smiling at me and i just reply her with a bone face and left. Then after sometime he came apologising to me that what he did to me was wrong that he did it under the influence of acholol which I know but I said to myself for him to say this to me when he was drunk meaning he has been harbouring such thoughts in his mind and the alcohol just gave him the courage to express his racist characters to me. I told him I forgive him but right now I don't trust any English people or white people because for such a guy to laugh and joke with u and still be a racist his something terrible. Abeg make una give bristish chance

How many times will they tell you that Britain is not for you? Now they never leave you

20 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Experience My First Racism In U. K From Someone Who I Thought Was My Friend. by dasparrow: 7:53pm On Feb 19, 2022
Isaacpromise1:

Well said. I wish our people knew this truth. We have white people on Tik Tok confessing with their own mouth that they are taught from birth to hate anyone not white and then go on to explain that their entire culture is rooted in white supremacy. So, if you know this about them, you will be wise not to expect too much from them and thread with caution when dealing with them because the average white person no send Black people message.

120 Likes 14 Shares

Re: Experience My First Racism In U. K From Someone Who I Thought Was My Friend. by Ichabodcrane(m): 7:58pm On Feb 19, 2022
I have spoken with white people, y'all know what I noticed?? These people claim they are wiser but they aren't. Most of them have very shallow reasoning. They get emotional over little things. See guy, don't mind they white guy, I am sure he doesn't even know what it means to take responsibility yet. He is still sucking Mom's milk. All these spoilt brats thpugh

105 Likes 3 Shares

Re: Experience My First Racism In U. K From Someone Who I Thought Was My Friend. by LILTJAY: 7:59pm On Feb 19, 2022
Racism and xenophobia, which do you prefer? undecided
White people are more accommodating and nice compared to blacks whether you accept it or not... cool
how many times have you seen white people in their hundreds going out in their streets to carry out xenophobia on blacks in their countries, compared to how fellow africans in Ghana and south africa attack and kill other blacks in their Countries. ?? undecided
by the time you experience racism from a black american just because you are from Africa, you will prefer white racism ..
Mtcheww tribalists crying about racism angry

299 Likes 35 Shares

Re: Experience My First Racism In U. K From Someone Who I Thought Was My Friend. by KosiGee(m): 8:08pm On Feb 19, 2022
Right001:

For someone on his Masters degree in a UK university, your write up was horrible and very hard to read.

You should’ve complained to your landlord about Harry’s racism. He is an idiot who took advantage of your timidity.

When you got Covid, you should’ve made everyone aware via your flat’s WhatsApp group chat. If you didn’t have one, you should’ve sent messages to your mates or to the landlord to inform them.
What you did was wrong, anyone of them could’ve come back before your isolation period.

143 Likes 9 Shares

Re: Experience My First Racism In U. K From Someone Who I Thought Was My Friend. by Right001: 8:21pm On Feb 19, 2022
RagnarLothbrok:
Guy, remember this- make yourself happy. The white racist in my flat in Australia treated me in a more subtle way. I really prefer your friend's brand of racism. The ones I experienced have perfected the method of doing you and pretending like you're the crazy one imagining things.

They even went as far as shielding the 19 year old white girl who lived in our flat from me cos of our closeness. I later found out they were afraid that she would fall for me. They would tease her and call her my puppy or lapdog. She soon began to move away. It was really depressing for me cos I never lived with such 'NICE PEOPLE', who weren't nice at all. They even had a WhatsApp group where they plan stuff, I later found out. I had to move out in search of my happiness and sanity.

Oyibo girl keeps chatting me up and bombing me with messages that she misses me and wants me to come back. Comeback kee you dia!
See I fear white people. As am talking to you my agency send me to a care home to work. Can you believe one of the staff in that care home reported me to their manager that is not on duty that I bruise a resident and the manager reported me to my agency and my agency send me message that I bruise a resident. I just reply my agency if I bruise someone then I should be let know. As am taking to am taking to u all the staff in are smiling with me asking me if am OK or alright. I don't just like them. Very cunning people especially the bristish

127 Likes 13 Shares

Re: Experience My First Racism In U. K From Someone Who I Thought Was My Friend. by Right001: 8:25pm On Feb 19, 2022
LILTJAY:
Racism and xenophobia, which do you prefer? undecided
Mtcheww tribalists crying about racism
If u can take bullshit from white people then Good luck to u.

20 Likes 5 Shares

Re: Experience My First Racism In U. K From Someone Who I Thought Was My Friend. by WoundedLamb: 8:32pm On Feb 19, 2022
Sorry, OP. I know some white people are making conscious effort to be less racist but then again, thier perception of Africans is ingrained. Funny is, they're sometimes not even aware their actions are racist (this does not include your so-called friend). The conversation you had with your flatmate couldn't have gotten rid of his longtime understanding of Africa. If anything, he only kept his thoughts to himself in order not to hurt you (and at the same time, knowing he's got what it take to hurt you). And when he got into a fight with you, he went with the mindset of "all is fair in love and war". In other words, the goal of a fight is to hurt the other party and, like I said, he believed he had just the right tool for that.

We all have our almost-knotted mindset about certain people. People say many things during a fight. Your friend may or may not be a "good" person, but one thing for sure, he'd hit below the belt when triggered. What matters now is what you'd do with this knowledge. Don't keep malice, it's not good for your mental health. So forgive but don't forget. Know him for who he is and always act accordingly. On the other hand, don't use his personality to judge white people cause that would only make you another him. Stay open minded. It will really make life easier for you out here.

Maybe we'll now begin to understand how ugly tribalism is.

151 Likes 15 Shares

Re: Experience My First Racism In U. K From Someone Who I Thought Was My Friend. by Xilsbridalhouse(f): 8:46pm On Feb 19, 2022
I think it’s same when you see Yoruba’s and Igbos even Hausas displaying their hatred towards each other. How then is this a different situation?
I see how you all attack each other here but racism seems to be a bigger problem?

Op, sorry about your experience. Whites are not stable emotionally, they are not straightforward and you can’t trust them, so be careful what you say or do in their presence. They also snitch a lot! But not all of them as I have had some doing more Favours than a family member would do. It shouldn’t be that difficult to know those who are naturally nice, respect you and wouldn’t snitch on you.

115 Likes 15 Shares

Re: Experience My First Racism In U. K From Someone Who I Thought Was My Friend. by 22o62021: 9:07pm On Feb 19, 2022
ITS NOT than the tribalism you guys display here

38 Likes 3 Shares

Re: Experience My First Racism In U. K From Someone Who I Thought Was My Friend. by ecolime(m): 9:22pm On Feb 19, 2022
Same UK that everyone is running to nowadays.

We don't love ourselves in Nigeria/Africa, so why should a white man show us love?

91 Likes 10 Shares

Re: Experience My First Racism In U. K From Someone Who I Thought Was My Friend. by AoifeNightfall: 9:25pm On Feb 19, 2022
KosiGee:

For someone on his Masters degree in a UK university, your write up was horrible and very hard to read.

You should’ve complained to your landlord about Harry’s racism. He is an idiot who took advantage of your timidity.

When you got Covid, you should’ve made everyone aware via your flat’s WhatsApp group chat. If you didn’t have one, you should’ve sent messages to your mates or to the landlord to inform them.
What you did was wrong, anyone of them could’ve come back before your isolation period.

I don't see anything wrong with his English grammar.

I have an aunt who schooled in the UK and graduated top of her class but still types like this guy.

She says in UK universities no one cares if you speak/type impeccable English because the way they learn there is very different from here. What matters the most is that you understand what they are teaching you perfectly.

But of course it is relatively dependent on the kind of course you are studying.

82 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Experience My First Racism In U. K From Someone Who I Thought Was My Friend. by AoifeNightfall: 9:29pm On Feb 19, 2022
But op you should have known he had racist tendencies when he asked if you've seen a dishwasher before.

They just don't care enough to learn about Africa.

17 Likes 3 Shares

Re: Experience My First Racism In U. K From Someone Who I Thought Was My Friend. by Rahkman: 9:45pm On Feb 19, 2022
Maybe he pictures you fucking white women that thing gets dem mad as fuc k, that's em white folks

12 Likes 3 Shares

Re: Experience My First Racism In U. K From Someone Who I Thought Was My Friend. by Richy4(m): 9:53pm On Feb 19, 2022
I don't even find this funny one bit... I feel bad that u learnt the hard way...
Don't open your 32 with any Tom, Dick and Harriet u see in the name of being a nice guy; that was rule 101...

It was jokes taken too far... It's called 'seeing finish'... Please maintain your Lane in a dignified manner from now henceforth... Even the other flat mates,.. no more jokes... No more sitting at the parlour with them... If they come in take your laptop and go to your room... Hi, hello is enough... Greet them when in close proximity including the stupid guy but as for sitting together, please cancel it ..

Assuming u weren't sitting with them, it wouldn't have happened... Too much of familiarity breeds contempt... Abi dey no teach u that adage for secondary school?...

129 Likes 10 Shares

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) ... (16) (Reply)

Pictures Of Five Cowries Terminal: A Beautiful Jetty in Lagos / China Test Runs New ₦4.1t Daxing Int'l Airport Ahead Of Official Opening / Nigeria Air: National Airline Unveiled (Photos, Video)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 82
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.