Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,151,332 members, 7,811,973 topics. Date: Monday, 29 April 2024 at 03:25 AM

Today, My Friend And I Had An Encounter With A Jiji Scammer. - Phones - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Science/Technology / Phones / Today, My Friend And I Had An Encounter With A Jiji Scammer. (5003 Views)

See The Fake Credit Alert A Scammer Sent Me / Nigerian Man Shares His Encounter With A Pakistan Man / Code For Airtel Friend And Family (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

Today, My Friend And I Had An Encounter With A Jiji Scammer. by Narijoel(m): 7:46pm On Feb 19, 2022
Today, my friend who I will call Peter was nearly swindled off his money by a scammer he met on Jiji.

This time, the format was new and both he and I have never experienced it. Here is his story so that others can learn:

My friend informed me of his intention to buy a new phone, he told me he preferred Samsung, Samsung Galaxy A22 or at least A12 as he had a tight budget.

So he set out to search for a seller on Jiji, hoping to get a good deal.

In no time, he saw an ad for a Samsung Galaxy A22 4 GiG Ram 128 GIG ROM with a price tag of #95000 from a seller in Ikeja, the seller wrote that it is a brand new device and it is available in "his store".

He called the Jiji seller who confirms that "the phone is available and he has it in his shop.

Peter was excited at the prospect of getting the phone at that price but was concerned that it was too good to be true, he called and informed me of this deal, I was suspicious at first but I actually know someone that bought same phone from Slot iyana ipaja, #90k, about two month ago and thought there is a "probability" that the phone may just be sold at the price for real so we decided to message and visit the so-called seller in his shop together, at least to see this phone for ourselves and leave it if it wasn't what he expected, to clear his mind of doubt and fear of losing out.

This almost became a costly decision as we shall see.

"Where is your shop address?" Peter asked, this Jiji seller replied that he is actually in "Victoria Island" he only wrote Ikeja because his customers were always calling from that area". He then sent a VI address through text.

To cut the long story short, we went to Victoria Island and located the address he sent. This place is near Saka Tinubu Street, VI.
We called the seller again he further directed us to the shop, and named the shop he claimed to own.

Here is where it becomes interesting...

He mentioned that he is currently not in the shop, but he has sale attendants who will attend to us. He mentioned that we should not worry if we are told a higher price than what he has agreed, warning that the sales attendants will tell us a higher price to get their own share of commission, that 95,000 is the price he is willing to sell.

"Just go there and collect the phone, you can make transfer when you have seen and collected it", he said.

Fortunately, my friend, Peter did not intend to make a transfer, he told the seller that he is coming with cash and cannot make a transfer, but the seller insisted on transfer, claiming the shop had a cashless policy. Okay now, we knew something is up. Our suspicions grew but we were already on our way.

Alright, we still decided to visit the shop, we got to store he mentioned and of course, it was a big and legit store in the market at VI.

We went in, asked for the sale attendant and informed her that we have spoken to the jiji seller about the phone, the sales attendant was confused as she was not aware of anyone bearing the name, so we called the seller back and he directed us to one "Mr Chinedu". We asked for him, and yes, Chinedu was one of the attendants. We met Chinedu and told him about the phone, he confirmed that it was available, we collected the new phone, inspected it and got ready to pay as the Jiji Seller instructed.

We already decided among ourselves that we will give them cash if they like it or not or at most make pos transfer.

Chinedu ask us to give him the money; but recall this so-called jiji seller has told us that he is the one in charge of the payment and we should transfer to him if we have collected the phone.

"Innocent "Chinedu was still waiting for us to pay his money, we informed him that we were with cash only and the seller that directed us say they don't accept cash, only transfer.

He asked us to pay with cash, that they don't mind

He asked us for the amount we had, we told him 90000, . he told us they don't sell Samsung Galaxy A22 for that price, that it was about #116000.

Remember, this Jiji seller has told us that we should expect to be told a higher amount by the sale attendant who he accused of trying to earn more commission off the phone.

We objected and told him the "Owner of the shop" who we thought was the jiji seller has agreed a price with us and has instructed us to meet him, Chinedu, collect the phone and transfer to the seller, himself.

Chinedu even confirmed his Oga, the real owner actually told him that someone has called to request for Samsung Galaxy A22 phone. That he should be expecting the person's "brother", the real owner unknowingly disclosed the names of his sales attendants, including Chinedu's name to the the Jiji scammer. That was the information he needed to make his plan work.

Chinedu, the sales attendant we met, asked to see the Jiji seller's number, the person who was posing as the owner of the shop, it was a wrong number. this was when he dawned on all of us that the Jiji seller was a crook, thief and scammer.

We had the phone in our hands yet we would have been duped if we have hurriedly transferred right there and haven't open up about the details of our discussion with the scammer. Numbers would have been blocked, phone collected back by the shop attendant who knows nothing about the transaction and tears will flow.

Now, Here was the scammer's strategy, he posts a fake ad on Jiji or nairaland with a price slightly lower than the regular price to attract potential buyers, he calls the real owner of the phone shop, poses as a person who is bringing a referral to his shop, the scammer collects the name of one of the sales attendant and ask the buyer to meet him or her; the potential victim goes the shop, ask for the sales attendant, collects the new phone and transfers money to the scammer thinking that he was the real owner of the shop who have been communicating with us.

His plans were foiled as we had cash and didn't agree to transfer, we were also patient to ask questions in the phone shop.

Chinedu and the rest of the staff we met in shop at VI agreed that it was a format that has successfully worked for this scammer and he has swindled some of their customers of their money through this means. They claim it is a major problem in the market.

We were lucky that we didn't allow greed overwhelm us, and we didn't allow pride cause us to ignore the original sale attendant explanation. It would have been a different story.

We should all be careful out there, guys.
Ask questions, be humble, use your head.
Never transfer to a seller who is not present in his shop. If you need to transfer. Make sure you have the phone already and the sales attendant confirms the account number anyone claiming to be their seller or staff sends to you.

Stay safe.

Here is the Scammer's number: 08169348938

39 Likes 6 Shares

Re: Today, My Friend And I Had An Encounter With A Jiji Scammer. by Meister(m): 8:19pm On Feb 19, 2022
This format make sense oo, it could work 50% of the time.
All these scammers just dey create newer more creative ways of swindling people

26 Likes 1 Share

Re: Today, My Friend And I Had An Encounter With A Jiji Scammer. by Nobody: 8:20pm On Feb 19, 2022
we all need to be extra careful this days..scammers everywhere

7 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Today, My Friend And I Had An Encounter With A Jiji Scammer. by bonadripper: 8:31pm On Feb 19, 2022
Thank u OP

I'll put my boys to work

12 Likes 1 Share

Re: Today, My Friend And I Had An Encounter With A Jiji Scammer. by Nukilia: 8:40pm On Feb 19, 2022
Thank you for posting the number. It should be labelled as scammer on trucaller

6 Likes

Re: Today, My Friend And I Had An Encounter With A Jiji Scammer. by gasparpisciotta: 9:26pm On Feb 19, 2022
A child that says his mother should not sleep, himself will neither sleep nor slumber

9 Likes 1 Share

Re: Today, My Friend And I Had An Encounter With A Jiji Scammer. by PlayerMeji: 9:46pm On Feb 19, 2022
Hmmm...

Thanks for the heads up...

1 Like

Re: Today, My Friend And I Had An Encounter With A Jiji Scammer. by TalkTalkTwins(m): 9:54pm On Feb 19, 2022
Omo

Format dey o grin

10 Likes

Re: Today, My Friend And I Had An Encounter With A Jiji Scammer. by MigeoFoods(f): 9:56pm On Feb 19, 2022
This format is really trending my husband just complained last week of someone using his shop to pose to innocent buyers

Same thing!
This one is not even phone but clothes

Please buyers be extremely careful scammers are getting more creative
And even shop owners needs to be careful too before someone accuse you of what you do not have knowledge of

23 Likes 1 Share

Re: Today, My Friend And I Had An Encounter With A Jiji Scammer. by GIANTPLUSHUB: 10:30pm On Feb 19, 2022
God saved you

1 Like

Re: Today, My Friend And I Had An Encounter With A Jiji Scammer. by davessales039(m): 11:26pm On Feb 19, 2022
Narijoel:

[b]Chinedu and the rest of the staff we met in shop at VI agreed that it was a format that has successfully worked for this scammer and he has swindled some of their customers of their money through this means. [/b]They claim it is a major problem in the market.

Here is the Scammer's number: 0816 934 8938

I suspect Chinedu is an accomplice.
Why does he keep accepting referrals from the scammer if he is aware of his antics?

To all customers, if you are not comfortable with a certain means of payment, say so and don't use it. Keep your money and let the seller keep his/her product. Peace reigns. Later on, you guys can come up with better means to deal.

Personally, I sell things too. I prefer to meet with my clients physically to complete transactions. This is not always possible though, especially for clients outside Lagos. For these, I would prefer they make transfers before I ship. Those who aren't comfortable with it say so and of course, I understand. We halt the transaction. Sometimes they get a trusted representative to come pick up for them and we seal the deal.

No one should be coerced to pay for something.

16 Likes

Re: Today, My Friend And I Had An Encounter With A Jiji Scammer. by FahBuLous: 11:38pm On Feb 19, 2022
Lala, this should make front-page...

Please let's be more careful...

Op, thanks for sharing

2 Likes

Re: Today, My Friend And I Had An Encounter With A Jiji Scammer. by Khaliyah(m): 11:47pm On Feb 19, 2022
this jiji should be regulated some sort, the scam going on there is too much, was a victim last dec and was scammed of 120k

10 Likes

Re: Today, My Friend And I Had An Encounter With A Jiji Scammer. by NnamdiN: 12:13am On Feb 20, 2022
Not very new format. They use it mostly on dispatch riders. The real vendor and the victim are usually unaware there's a scammer in between them and dispatch guys rarely wait for vendor to confirm alert .

If I have to deliver an item, I ask for address and contact of receiver before hand and tell them the amount I'm expecting.

They won't give you the details as it'll spoil the scam so they wait until the rider is with the "receiver" but me o, If you no dey give me the details I ask of, keep your money make I keep my market .

7 Likes

Re: Today, My Friend And I Had An Encounter With A Jiji Scammer. by arthurwillia(m): 12:45am On Feb 20, 2022
Meister:
This format make sense oo, it could work 50% of the time.
All these scammers just dey create newer more creative ways of swindling people

I’m telling you
Someone who is street sef will fall for it before knowing
God should save person ooo chaii

6 Likes

Re: Today, My Friend And I Had An Encounter With A Jiji Scammer. by arthurwillia(m): 12:46am On Feb 20, 2022
Khaliyah:
this jiji should be regulated some sort, the scam going on there is too much, was a victim last dec and was scammed of 120k

Jeez how bro?
Re: Today, My Friend And I Had An Encounter With A Jiji Scammer. by WoundedLamb: 12:59am On Feb 20, 2022
OP, thanks for sharing.

Scammers are simply very people.

gasparpisciotta:
A child that says his mother should not sleep, himself will neither sleep nor slumber

Neither sleep nor slumber? Lol

You realise the words "slumber" and "sleep" mean the same thing?
Re: Today, My Friend And I Had An Encounter With A Jiji Scammer. by Double0h7(f): 1:46am On Feb 20, 2022
Only greed gets you scammed. It's because you wanted to pay less for a phone that you ran around like that. I would've rejected the offer the minute I was told to go to a shop to buy something but send the money somewhere else. How does that make sense?

10 Likes 1 Share

Re: Today, My Friend And I Had An Encounter With A Jiji Scammer. by CHoccolaTE: 3:05am On Feb 20, 2022
Anybody who does this type of scam or intends to do it, may their life spoil.
Many Nigerians are too heartless.

3 Likes

Re: Today, My Friend And I Had An Encounter With A Jiji Scammer. by MrOkenwa(m): 3:06am On Feb 20, 2022
Well crafted format.

1 Like

Re: Today, My Friend And I Had An Encounter With A Jiji Scammer. by mu2sa2: 5:21am On Feb 20, 2022
And chinedu may be an ipob condemning the shithole!

2 Likes

Re: Today, My Friend And I Had An Encounter With A Jiji Scammer. by shortIGBOman: 5:50am On Feb 20, 2022
mu2sa2:
And chinedu may be an ipob condemning the shithole!

Sure he is an IPOB. Probably one of those hungry IPOB Bandits on Nairaland. May God expose all the scammers

1 Like

Re: Today, My Friend And I Had An Encounter With A Jiji Scammer. by DepressedCyborg: 6:21am On Feb 20, 2022
Wow wow wow

I just realized I was a target of a similar scam here on Nairaland.

In this case, my point of contact was the Nairalander. I ordered a dell laptop. Gave him my house address. He called the seller at computer village and ordered the laptop from him, providing my address as well.

He then told me that once I see the laptop and I like it, I should send the amount N150,000 to his account. In front of the dispatch that I shouldn't worry he will pay the dispatch rider and that I shouldn't pay any extra money.

So when the dispatch rider arrived, he was so confused, and he told me he sensed something fishy and I shouldn't send any money until he calls the person that actually handed over the laptop to him.

So naive me was trying to blame the dispatcher that he doesn't know what dropshipping was.
We called the actual seller and he confirmed the nairalander's name, that he called and ordered for a laptop, but he's suprised about the new development.

Long story short, I didn't like the laptop. And I told the seller I was no longer interested.

14 Likes

Re: Today, My Friend And I Had An Encounter With A Jiji Scammer. by azpekuliar: 6:34am On Feb 20, 2022
Na old format sef but people still fall victim.

First time I saw this used was for a car purchase. Prospective victim saw the ad for a 2013/14 Camry on Jiji. It was a woman who posted the ad and even arranged a mechanic to accompany the prospective victim to a particular dealership at Berger Auto yard, Mile 2. Long story short it failed as the prospective victim was eagle-eyed like you. He would have been swindled of over N4m.

Prospective buyers like me who are often quick to open our bank apps to do transfers for purchases be warned. cheesy grin

9 Likes

Re: Today, My Friend And I Had An Encounter With A Jiji Scammer. by aminusodiq(m): 6:48am On Feb 20, 2022
Narijoel:
Today, my

Here is the Scammer's number: 08169348938
the werey still promote scam add

3 Likes

Re: Today, My Friend And I Had An Encounter With A Jiji Scammer. by chrisifeanyi: 7:12am On Feb 20, 2022
Nawaaooo
Re: Today, My Friend And I Had An Encounter With A Jiji Scammer. by MikeMicheal(m): 7:45am On Feb 20, 2022
HOPE YOU KNOW THAT YOU INDIRECTLY JUST TAUGHT SOME SCAMMERS HERE HOW TO SCAM?

Best way to stop a scam is to get the scammer arrested or shoot him dead.

2 Likes

Re: Today, My Friend And I Had An Encounter With A Jiji Scammer. by michlins(m): 7:46am On Feb 20, 2022
Whenever I read about scam and remember that I spent days registering for;

BVN, NIN, and the rest, I dey vex seriously

6 Likes

Re: Today, My Friend And I Had An Encounter With A Jiji Scammer. by MandGEnterprise: 8:03am On Feb 20, 2022
azpekuliar:
Na old format sef but people still fall victim.

First time I saw this used was for a car purchase. Prospective victim saw the ad for a 2013/14 Camry on Jiji. It was a woman who posted the ad and even arranged a mechanic to accompany the prospective victim to a particular dealership at Berger Auto yard, Mile 2. Long story short it failed as the prospective victim was eagle-eyed like you. He would have been swindled of over N4m.

Prospective buyers like me who are always very quick to open our bank apps to do transfers be warned. cheesy grin

I read that story too

Even we business owners face same issue
Re: Today, My Friend And I Had An Encounter With A Jiji Scammer. by fatymore(f): 8:16am On Feb 20, 2022
Scammers too plenty on Jiji. That's why buyers always prefers payment on delivery

1 Like

Re: Today, My Friend And I Had An Encounter With A Jiji Scammer. by ghettochild(m): 8:18am On Feb 20, 2022
Thanks for sharing
If anyone needs a phone.. I can get it for you here in SA and ship to u.
WhatsApp +27737839889

(1) (2) (Reply)

How To Retrieve Your Lost Airtel Sim / . / Huawei Watch GT 2

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 53
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.