Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,657 members, 7,820,291 topics. Date: Tuesday, 07 May 2024 at 12:37 PM

Snoop Has Crossed The Line - Music/Radio - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Entertainment / Music/Radio / Snoop Has Crossed The Line (1598 Views)

Olamide Hit Single, Eleda Mi Has Crossed The One Million View Bar On Youtube / D'banj Ft Big Sean & Snoop Lion - Blame It On The Money / Fingers Crossed: Most Anticipated Hiphop Albums Of 2010. (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

Snoop Has Crossed The Line by redsun(m): 2:16pm On Jun 26, 2011
Snoop has crossed the line,what do you guys think of his i just wanna make you sweat,he sound more like the black eyed Peas than the real street soldier.I think it is funny coming from snoop.

Does it mean true hip hop is dead?
Re: Snoop Has Crossed The Line by Nobody: 8:59pm On Jun 26, 2011
it means that artists have realised that branching into the mainstream keeps your name in the media and your bank account grows bigger.
btw BEP sounded much like Snoop before 2003 but were neither famous or rich, look at them now.
Re: Snoop Has Crossed The Line by Nobody: 9:43pm On Jun 26, 2011
OP,hip-hop IS dead.died a long time ago.
Case in point:snoop.His debut,Doggystyle album is still a classic,and he hasn't managed to come close to that effort
sales-wise & Lyrical content since93.Compare that effort with the mostly-wack flows he spits these days and you can come to the above conclusion
Re: Snoop Has Crossed The Line by denzel2009: 9:45pm On Jun 26, 2011
StarBoard:

Case in point:snoop.His debut,CanineApproach album is still a classic,and he hasn't managed to come close to that effort
sales-wise & Lyrical content since93.Compare that effort with the mostly-wack flows he spits these days and you can come to the above conclusion

Seun and his Abeokuta English grin grin is that not Dogg[i]y[/i] Style?
Re: Snoop Has Crossed The Line by Nobody: 12:16am On Jun 27, 2011
StarBoard:

Case in point:snoop.His debut,CanineApproach album is still a classic,and he hasn't managed to come close to that effort

if people were still buying records/cds then people like Snoop could still be doing what they do best BUT, because times are hard, they have to do what is needed to reach different audience and bring in the cheddar!

all the ones making great sales today do it, from Kanye to Lil Wayne. . . . . . . . is it right? probably not but who are we to dictate what they should or not release. if anyone doesnt like it, they can bring out THEIR own album with worthy material for the masses and see where that will take them.
Re: Snoop Has Crossed The Line by Nobody: 6:06am On Jun 27, 2011
^^^^
Still doesn't vouch for why they do it.I grew up in the era of the hip-hop explosion and what we hav today can't qualify for anything close to the essence/spirit of true hip hop.
If today's standard bearer is kanye west,I think country/folk music is a better alternative for me.his lines are slightly better than nursery rhymes.I swear the dude must have included portions of Mary had a little Lamb in his lyrics.trying to place him with say Chuck Dee side-by-side and I'm shuddering at that thought.
On the other hand,Real Hip-hop is still being represented,albeit in the minority,by the Roots,even though they hardly sell 500,000 units because they don't talk about ho/s like that I,Diot lil wayne

Seun/mods
Does that filter make any sense to you or anybody?
Not like I went out of my way to be vulgar.it's an album title,please.
Re: Snoop Has Crossed The Line by LOLOH: 12:10pm On Jun 27, 2011
WHATEVER! THE GUY WAS AT NO POINT LYRICAL, IF HIM LIKE MAKE HIM SING LIKE MJ
Re: Snoop Has Crossed The Line by Nobody: 12:27pm On Jun 27, 2011
LOLOH:

WHATEVER! THE GUY WAS AT NO POINT LYRICAL, IF HIM LIKE MAKE HIM SING LIKE MJ
Snoop was lyrical under Dre/Daz production team.
Hence the Dog.gy Style album.It's one of Hip-hop's finest albums. . .since he left Death Row,he's been just another hip-hop artiste.
The sad thing is that he built his career on claiming to be a real Hip-Hop artiste,dissing artistes he felt were weak. . .i wonder if he bothers to listen to those cuts from 93. . .
Re: Snoop Has Crossed The Line by Nobody: 5:38pm On Jun 27, 2011
^^bro, i understand how you feel but you cant really expect him to NOT GROW and ADAPT to the current vibe out there.
as you pointed out yourself, the realest out there, dont even shift 1 million copies WORLDWIDE. therefore they are not booked for as much gigs as before. now look at Snoop and his "supposedly" weak music, he is touring the world OVER and OVER, and hasnt stopped!
so his music may be whack, TO SOME, but he got himself a new set of fans who are willing to spend big bucks to see him in concert IN HUGE VENUE, because we all know that now the money is in live performances for these artist, not cd sales.

hey Kanye was voted BET hip hop artist of the yr, that should tell you something about the current trend.
Re: Snoop Has Crossed The Line by Nobody: 8:06am On Jun 28, 2011
MRbrownJAY:

^^bro, i understand how you feel but you cant really expect him to NOT GROW and ADAPT to the current vibe out there.
as you pointed out yourself, the realest out there, dont even shift 1 million copies WORLDWIDE. therefore they are not booked for as much gigs as before. now look at Snoop and his "supposedly" weak music, he is touring the world OVER and OVER, and hasnt stopped!
so his music may be whack, TO SOME, but he got himself a new set of fans who are willing to spend big bucks to see him in concert IN HUGE VENUE, because we all know that now the money is in live performances for these artist, not cd sales.

hey Kanye was voted BET hip hop artist of the yr, that should tell you something about the current trend.
I feel you.I know the state of things,but some of us long for the golden age of hip-hop.It's amazing that Kanye is touted as hip-hop's leading light these days.
Even Jay-Z who had his break with the REasonable doubt ish is clowning around sounding like a juvenile.
Abeg,I'm not gonna discuss anymore.To my I-pod I go to revisit those golden years. . .Snoop is a big let-down.'Pac once said he didn't like Snoop because he felt he was an opportunist. . .
Re: Snoop Has Crossed The Line by shotster50(m): 11:41pm On Jun 28, 2011
The key to Snoop Doggs longevity is that he moves and adapts with the ever changing times. He sacrificed his gangsta rap as he grew and matured to everyones favourite harmles rapper. You may not like it but then again, how many of his old albums have you bought?/
Re: Snoop Has Crossed The Line by Nobody: 12:08am On Jun 29, 2011
^^ŵell said!!!!
how many of Snoop's peers are still in the charts today (while being real)?! let alone touring the world over and over?

some people expect these artist to cater for their archaic needs. i loved what he did +15yrs ago but i wouldnt want him to do that same shiit TODAY.

even NAS that has been regarded as one of the greatest lyricist in the game, when was the last time he sold a million copies?! or gone on a world tour?
THE GAME is the one artist that could be regarded today as the "Snoop of all days", and he just doing all right.
Re: Snoop Has Crossed The Line by Nobody: 8:59am On Jun 29, 2011
MRbrownJAY:

^^ŵell said!!!!
how many of Snoop's peers are still in the charts today (while being real)?! let alone touring the world over and over?

Not really the point.Music is one business that has phases.Agreed that music evolves,but evolution should be a means of getting BETTER or deveoping what is already existing.So far,Hip-Hop has failed in that assignment.
That snoop has managed to remain relevant shouldn't detract from the fact that the present state of urban music (hip-hop included) has gone down to the dogs.
Like the original post indicated,the image of snoop as a street soldier contrasts deeply with what he is peddling around these days.
Elderstatemen like Nas will hardly go down the path Snoop is treading because he (Nas,along with a few cats like the Roots,have decided to keep it Real to their core fans like us who will always go out for their releases,never mind that they wont even go Gold.
)
shotster50:

The key to Snoop Doggs longevity is that he moves and adapts with the ever changing times. He sacrificed his gangsta rap as he grew and matured to everyones favourite harmles rapper. You may not like it but then again, how many of his old albums have you bought?/
Dude,I got Snoop's first five albums up to the Last meal with No Limit records.
As per longevity,that's not the point again.If everybody was killing their mums to survive,would you do the same,just to remain relevant?
MRbrownJAY:

some people expect these artist to cater for their archaic needs. i loved what he did +15yrs ago but i wouldnt want him to do that same shiit TODAY.
Here and there point.
You loved what he did 15 years ago but you don't want it now.So why do fans still follow artistes like the Temptations around on tour till date even when their first hit was in the late 50's ?
Archaic stuff? Wow.I would love that kind of flow right now,because it's simply much more superior to the wack artistes and their wack flows.a good number of us feel that way,folks who were down with hip-hop from the very onset.Thus the above statement credited to you doesn't have any consistency with me. . .unless you;re telling me today's stuff has any merit. . .which is another topic entirely. . .
Re: Snoop Has Crossed The Line by shotster50(m): 11:25pm On Jun 29, 2011
@ Star board , you miss the point, Snoop choose a part that has lead upto where he is today. He is still relevant and highly loved and in demand. You can say he has watered down his music but you dont expect him to be a gangster rapper for life with his kids growing up. Like BrownJay stated, how many of his contemporaries are still relevant today with their inablity to yield and adapt to the changing times? Personally I dont bump to the post 2000 Snoop but I highly respect and identify with the mans hustle.
Re: Snoop Has Crossed The Line by eldee(m): 11:35pm On Jun 29, 2011
@Starboard.

There is no such thing as true hiphop.

#okbye
Re: Snoop Has Crossed The Line by Nobody: 2:01am On Jun 30, 2011
@eldee,
Really?
So let me get this right:you choose to be ambiguous to defend a guy who used to diss players for not being "real" just because he eventually sold out?
So the rap battles between LL any Kool Moe dee,MC shan& KRS One just to mention a few were over what?The east/west feud in the mid nineties that took hip-hop to another level,commercially and even artistically was over what?
If you must know,real hip-hop DOES exist,or rather has existed at some point in the game.Whether or not you choose to believe it or not.@
@Shotster,
Don't know what you mean.the OP says Snoop has turned whack.You claim it's him being relevant.The wack lines in hip-hop as exemplified by Kanye is enough to turn your attention elsewhere for entertainment. Like I asked earlier,if you were supposed to sacrifice a principle such as sell your mother to slavery(no pun intended)just to remain relevant in your social circle,would you do it?apparently there are no principles when money is involved.jay-z's best album critically (from an artistic standpoint) remains Reasonable doubt,when hip-hop still had clout.today,he just sleep-walks through albums with half-baked lyrics that make you wonder if he really released the afore-mentioned album.

A
Re: Snoop Has Crossed The Line by Nobody: 2:15am On Jun 30, 2011
@Shotster,
Kindly desist from bringing sentiments into this.Snoop didn't mind being gangsta when it was bringing him the dough to feed this same family you're mentioning,as if time stood still and the kids refused to grow.His wife didn't mind the moola rolling in.to me that is a hypocritical argument.
Re: Snoop Has Crossed The Line by shotster50(m): 2:39am On Jun 30, 2011
StarBoard:

@Shotster,
Kindly desist from bringing sentiments into this.Snoop didn't mind being gangsta when it was bringing him the dough to feed this same family you're mentioning,as if time stood still and the kids refused to grow.His wife didn't mind the moola rolling in.to me that is a hypocritical argument.
My man sorry but you lost me. Snoop cant be gangstar all his damn life. At some point he has to out grow that which he did, He is a musician living well, Hip hop heads respect him for his past , I dont roll with anyone that bumbs that booty sweat or whatever his new song is callled, but I understand he is grinding, is that your problem?
Re: Snoop Has Crossed The Line by Nobody: 6:27am On Jun 30, 2011
StarBoard:

Not really the point.Music is one business that has phases.Agreed that music evolves,but evolution should be a means of getting BETTER or deveoping what is already existing.So far,Hip-Hop has failed in that assignment.

the fact that you even think that what worked BEST in the 90s, is what would work best today in 2011 IS A COMPLETE CONTRADICTION TO EVOLUTION!!!!!
what we listening to today is the evolution of what was great back then. expecting us to be stuck in 90s mode is not only wrong but counter productive musically.

you may not like what the Lil Waynes and Kanyes are releasing but I DO, just like i enjoyed the Nas/Pac of back then.
why would you say that hip hop has died if the ROOTS and NAS (your idea of real hip hop) are still alive and making music?!!

That snoop has managed to remain relevant shouldn't detract from the fact that the present state of urban music (hip-hop included) has gone down to the dogs.

may i ask what you are referring to when talking about "urban music"?

Like the original post indicated,the image of snoop as a street soldier contrasts deeply with what he is peddling around these days.

ahahahahahaha so you expect this old man to act as a gangsta like back in the days. how credible will he be, talking about being a gangsta while going to drop his kids at school?
he is NO longer a gangsta and therefore he has no business doing gangsta rap.

Elderstatemen like Nas will hardly go down the path Snoop is treading because he (Nas,along with a few cats like the Roots,have decided to keep it Real to their core fans like us who will always go out for their releases,never mind that they wont even go Gold.)

and thats fine but dont be pissed because someone decided to GROW UP and follow the trend rather than stay in the past as the lone riders!

Dude,I got Snoop's first five albums up to the Last meal with No Limit records.
As per longevity,that's not the point again.If everybody was killing their mums to survive,would you do the same,just to remain relevant?

thats a VERY bad comparison!!!!!! here are a few for you that you may consider:
- dont use emails and stay true to the post office by keeping sending letters!
- dont use cell phone and rather use landline like back in the days!
- dont dance like they do today, do the robot dance like you use to back in the days!
- dont use mp3, go buy the record and listen to it on your turntables!

its called adapting to what works best in the era you find yourself in.

You loved what he did 15 years ago but you don't want it now.So why do fans still follow artistes like the Temptations around on tour till date even when their first hit was in the late 50's ?

bro, you are amazing, to say the least. the Temptations are touring with the SAME material that they did back in the days, NOT some soul/funk album released in 2011. they havent released anything in a LONG TIME and if they did it would be only be the die hard fans like yourself who would buy their stuff.
what Snoop did back then was great, but i cant listen to the same shiit repeating itself, year in and year out.

Archaic stuff? Wow.I would love that kind of flow right now,because it's simply much more superior to the wack artistes and their wack flows.

again, we could argue forever about who is best or not. people would tell you that Sugar Hill Gang were better than Pac and they wouldnt be wrong because they were the shiit of their era. people from THAT era might not view what the Pac/biggie did as true/real flow or music. just like we can all try to compare Lil Wayne today with the kings of the 90s. you have to value their work with their era. unless Pac would evolve, he wouldnt be shiit today doing his old stuff!

a good number of us feel that way,folks who were down with hip-hop from the very onset.Thus the above statement credited to you doesn't have any consistency with me. . .unless you;re telling me today's stuff has any merit. . .which is another topic entirely. . .

its called THE EVOLUTION OF HIP HOP. today you need more than great flow to be on top of the game!
Eminem got it but he still has a hard time to stay on top, Gza is the shiit but cant deliver something worthy in today's game, Common still got it but cant even come close to the top, Nas cant even release something worth competing with what YOU call trash.
if these Lyricists were the shiit TODAY, then the old heads would STILL buy their music, unless you claim that we ALL lost a part of our brains and cant understand music any longer!?!
Re: Snoop Has Crossed The Line by Nobody: 6:37am On Jun 30, 2011
StarBoard:

@Shotster,

i guess you expect him NOT to learn from the many times he nearly ended up in jail due to his reckless life. how many times has he dodged the "prison bullet"?!
the Snoop of today understand that the street is shiit and, those who didnt, are either dead or in jail.

where did the gangsta lifestyle brought to 2Pac/Biggie etc?! real gangsta rap died when these two did.

Snoop is a BUSINESSMAN now!
Re: Snoop Has Crossed The Line by Nobody: 8:14am On Jun 30, 2011
MRbrownJAY:

i guess you expect him NOT to learn from the many times he nearly ended up in jail due to his reckless life. how many times has he dodged the "prison bullet"?!
the Snoop of today understand that the street is shiit and, those who didnt, are either dead or in jail.

where did the gangsta lifestyle brought to 2Pac/Biggie etc?! real gangsta rap died when these two did.

Snoop is a BUSINESSMAN now!
Laughable response.
Nobody even talks about the streets anymore in hip-hop so I don't buy your argument.
As for Pac/Biggie,you're being revisionist.Go and study your hip-hop all over and know what being gangster is all about.For you to simplify their deaths to them being gangster leaves a lot to be desired about your knowledge of hip-hop.
shotster50:

My man sorry but you lost me. Snoop cant be gangstar all his damn life. At some point he has to out grow that which he did, He is a musician living well, Hip hop heads respect him for his past , I dont roll with anyone that bumbs that booty sweat or whatever his new song is callled, but I understand he is grinding, is that your problem?
You haven't manged to respond to why he fed off the gangsta imagery for a while in his career before selling out.
You sound like you're making excuses for the fella for his obvious sell-out.
Re: Snoop Has Crossed The Line by Nobody: 8:31am On Jun 30, 2011
StarBoard:

Laughable response.
Nobody even talks about the streets anymore in hip-hop so I don't buy your argument.
As for Pac/Biggie,you're being revisionist.Go and study your hip-hop all over and know what being gangster is all about.For you to simplify their deaths to them being gangster leaves a lot to be desired about your knowledge of hip-hop.

everything about the death of these two icon has to do with this gangsta lifetsyle (aka the street) that everyone wanted to emulate!!!!!
its that same BS gangsta lifetsyle that had people on the west coast look down on anyone from the west coast (or vice versa), its the same BS gangsta lifestyle that has Crips members killing anyone showing red colours etc.
and its that same gangsta lifestyle that you would like snoop to be into NOW, while most who ever were associated with it are either in jail or dead!

You haven't manged to respond to why he fed off the gangsta imagery for a while in his career before selling out.
You sound like you're making excuses for the fella for his obvious sell-out.

i guess you have difficulties understanding what i wrote:
he WAS a gangsta living a gangsta lifestyle back then BUT he is now a businessman, living and making businessman's decisions now. 2 different person!
Re: Snoop Has Crossed The Line by Nobody: 8:49am On Jun 30, 2011
MRbrownJAY:

[b]the fact that you even think that what worked BEST in the 90s, is what would work best today in 2011 IS A COMPLETE CONTRADICTION TO EVOLUTION!!!!![/b]
what we listening to today is the evolution of what was great back then. expecting us to be stuck in 90s mode is not only wrong but counter productive musically.
sorry, but point out where i mentioned that the stuff in bold.
You don't have to manufacture conjectures to make a point.I only said the material back then is simply superior to what is around today.In that light,how can that be EVOLUTION?
And as for your claim about today's music,it's pretty obvious you didn't experience 90s hip-hop.Because if you did,that statement wouldn't be credited to you,my man.
Read through my post properly before arriving at your conclusions.Gangster rap is a sub-genre of hip-hop,mind you.I hope you are aware of that.
MRbrownJAY:

ahahahahahaha so you expect this old man to act as a gangsta like back in the days. how credible will he be, talking about being a gangsta while going to drop his kids at school?
You're cracking me up,I swear.
Again I didn't mention that he had to stay gangsta.You keep misreading me.I said he has sold out from the path of hip-hop that he once followed,nevermind the gangster image that he used to sell records."His
Your man once had an album titled "the game is to be told,not to be sold".That as much contradicts his image and whatever defence you make for him.He used to diss fellas who he regarded as wack.Now it's convenient for him to be a "businessman"becuase he has "longevity".
MRbrownJAY:

- dont dance like they do today, do the robot dance like you use to back in the days!

Funny.It appears you don't know what evolution is.
The need for the above examples given by you explains evolution in a sense.But comparing those to hip-hop makes it borderline comical,since for one,the lyrics today are wack,compared to the lyrical flow of the 90s.Like I said,study evolution.If you still stick to your belief that hip-hop has gotten better from the 90s,then i'm done arguing with you.
MRbrownJAY:

bro, you are amazing, to say the least. the Temptations are touring with the SAME material that they did back in the days, NOT some soul/funk album released in 2011. they havent released anything in a LONG TIME and if they did it would be only be the die hard fans like yourself who would buy their stuff.
what Snoop did back then was great, but i cant listen to the same shiit repeating itself, year in and year out.

So why then do they still stick to their format?Why haven't they gone autotune like everybody else?I expect an answer from you.I''m glad you realise I mentioned them touring,not releasing any material.
MRbrownJAY:

again, we could argue forever about who is best or not. people would tell you that Sugar Hill Gang were better than Pac and they wouldnt be wrong because they were the shiit of their era. people from THAT era might not view what the Pac/biggie did as true/real flow or music. just like we can all try to compare Lil Wayne today with the kings of the 90s. you have to value their work with their era. unless Pac would evolve, he wouldnt be shiit today doing his old stuff!
True,but therein lies the argument.The Sugarhill era evolved into the Pac era.,albeit indirectly but the spirit remained true: lyrically up to standard,the ryhmes were deeper and more philosophical (especially from Pac).Compare that to today's lines.Disappointing lyrics and lines at best.Man,get the concept of evolution before arguing.And by the way,Lil Wayne cannot carry the jockstraps of the 90s kings.Please scratch that thought.
MRbrownJAY:

its called THE EVOLUTION OF HIP HOP. today you need more than great flow to be on top of the game!
Eminem got it but he still has a hard time to stay on top, Gza is the shiit but cant deliver something worthy in today's game, Common still got it but cant even come close to the top, Nas cant even release something worth competing with what YOU call trash.
if these Lyricists were the shiit TODAY, then the old heads would STILL buy their music, unless you claim that we ALL lost a part of our brains and cant understand music any longer!?!
I can't respond to the above,even though you sound factual,except to say we all are entitled to our own opinions,but to say that today's hip-hop is  at par on any level with what we had back in the day isn't true.
Thanks man.
Re: Snoop Has Crossed The Line by Nobody: 9:44am On Jun 30, 2011
MRbrownJAY:

everything about the death of these two icon has to do with this gangsta lifetsyle (aka the street) that everyone wanted to emulate!!!!!
its that same BS gangsta lifetsyle that had people on the west coast look down on anyone from the west coast (or vice versa), its the same BS gangsta lifestyle that has Crips members killing anyone showing red colours etc.
and its that same gangsta lifestyle that you would like snoop to be into NOW, while most who ever were associated with it are either in jail or dead!
Biggie was NO gangster.If you knew your hip-hop well,he sold drugs for a while but could hardly live the life.Watch VH1's behind the music,he was scared from the onset that someone would kill him.Biggie hardly lived the gangster life.
You might have a case for PAc,but hs roots were artistic.He went to the school of performing arts in baltimore.He adopted that thug life persona after he crossed over to Death Row.How could a gangster compose a lyrical gem as "Dear Mama"?
Back to the rhetoric.Pac was killed by gangsters,true.But to Say Biggie died because he tried to emulate a gangster life is so untrue.Again read your hip-hop.Even at the height of the WEst/East coast thing Biggie never recorded a diss song in direction of the West in general and Pac in particular except for "who shot ya",whic hhad been recorded earlier but didn't make the cut for his debut album Ready to Die because when he released that album,he was still sleeping on Pac's couch.Know your facts.So in that sense he (biggie) didn't retaliate to Pac's taunts.
Re: Snoop Has Crossed The Line by Nobody: 10:12am On Jun 30, 2011
Quote from: MRbrownJAY on Today at 01:27:02 AM
the fact that you even think that what worked BEST in the 90s, is what would work best today in 2011 IS A COMPLETE CONTRADICTION TO EVOLUTION!!!!!

sorry, but point out where i mentioned that the stuff in bold.
You don't have to manufacture conjectures to make a point.I only said the material back then is simply superior to what is around today.In that light,how can that be EVOLUTION?
WE have evolved, YOU are the only one who didnt and is stuck with the do.ggystyle album in mind.

And as for your claim about today's music,it's pretty obvious you didn't experience 90s hip-hop.Because if you did,that statement wouldn't be credited to you,my man.
Read through my post properly before arriving at your conclusions.Gangster rap is a sub-genre of hip-hop,mind you.I hope you are aware of that.
woah, now you turned preacher?! as you are hell bent on having Snoop act and represent the gangsta lifestyle, gangsta rap is whole point of this discussion. god forbid, he once represented gangstas back then and should therefore be one till the day he die!

You're cracking me up,I swear.
Again I didn't mention that he had to stay gangsta.You keep misreading me.I said he has sold out from the path of hip-hop that he once followed,nevermind the gangster image that he used to sell records."His
Your man once had an album titled "the game is to be told,not to be sold".That as much contradicts his image and whatever defence you make for him.He used to diss fellas who he regarded as wack.Now it's convenient for him to be a "businessman"becuase he has "longevity".
so what exactly do you expect him to do then MR RIGHTEOUS since you're now claiming you dont want him to be representing the gangsta lifestyle? many people say and did lot of stuff when they were young and immature, then they grew up and got wiser about the game.
back then, representing the gangsta lifestyle sold record, today it doesnt SO he doesnt have to be that person. was 2pac a gangsta?! hell no, but yet he was talking all this poo about being a gangsta. should we also point fingers at him?

Funny.It appears you don't know what evolution is.
The need for the above examples given by you explains evolution in a sense.But comparing those to hip-hop makes it borderline comical,since for one,the lyrics today are wack,compared to the lyrical flow of the 90s.Like I said,study evolution.If you still stick to your belief that hip-hop has gotten better from the 90s,then i'm done arguing with you.
the comparison above was the answer to you comparing people who adapt following the trend of what works today with murdering your parent(if that were the trend) lol stop trying to twist everything bro!!!!
now if you believe that lyrics today are whacks then fair enough, thats YOUR belief and you are entitled to it, i dont.
you are the one who is comparing 90s hip hop with todays, i didnt! i only said that its the evolution of that era. . . . . . .now if YOU dont like it then that your biz, not mine

So why then do they still stick to their format?Why haven't they gone autotune like everybody else?I expect an answer from you.I''m glad you realise I mentioned them touring,not releasing any material.
hhhmmm because thats the format that works with REVIVAL bands, they sing their old stuff on and on because thats what the people who goes to these shows want to hear .
the rest of us with an open mind want to listen to new stuff, want to evolve musically. lol

True,but therein lies the argument.The Sugarhill era evolved into the Pac era.,albeit indirectly but the spirit remained true: lyrically up to standard,the ryhmes were deeper and more philosophical (especially from Pac).Compare that to today's lines.Disappointing lyrics and lines at best.Man,get the concept of evolution before arguing.And by the way,Lil Wayne cannot carry the jockstraps of the 90s kings.Please scratch that thought.
again these are your views and you are entitled to them. . . . . . . . . . .

I can't respond to the above,even though you sound factual,except to say we all are entitled to our own opinions,but to say that today's hip-hop is  at par on any level with what we had back in the day isn't true.
Thanks man
why shouldnt it be true?! the ROOTS/NAS/THE GAME/COMMON/EMINEM/GZA aint dead, are they?
so keep following the ones that YOU believe are IT while others follow the ones that THEY believe are IT.
Re: Snoop Has Crossed The Line by Nobody: 10:25am On Jun 30, 2011
StarBoard:

Biggie was NO gangster.If you knew your hip-hop well,he sold drugs for a while but could hardly live the life.Watch VH1's behind the music,he was scared from the onset that someone would kill him.Biggie hardly lived the gangster life.
You might have a case for PAc,but hs roots were artistic.He went to the school of performing arts in baltimore.He adopted that thug life persona after he crossed over to Death Row.How could a gangster compose a lyrical gem as "Dear Mama"?
Back to the rhetoric.Pac was killed by gangsters,true.But to Say Biggie died because he tried to emulate a gangster life is so untrue.Again read your hip-hop.Even at the height of the WEst/East coast thing Biggie never recorded a diss song in direction of the West in general and Pac in particular except for "who shot ya",whic hhad been recorded earlier but didn't make the cut for his debut album Ready to Die because when he released that album,he was still sleeping on Pac's couch.Know your facts.So in that sense he (biggie) didn't retaliate to Pac's taunts.

bro, as i said and repeat, the gangsta lifestyle is what killed these two icons.although Biggie didnt made his stand on his beef with "2Pac apparent, he stood by BAD BOYS who were dissing 2pac like crazy on numerous tracks. only a fool would think that biggie was neutral while all his click (and all the east coast) was having a feud with 2pac and the whole west coast click. it was the war between DEATH ROW and BAD BOY that killed these icons, thus that gangsta lifestyle!!!
Re: Snoop Has Crossed The Line by Myself2(m): 2:59pm On Jun 30, 2011
StarBoard:

denzel2009:

Seun and his Abeokuta English grin grin is that not Dogg[i]y[/i] Style?

grin grin grin
Na real Seun and his Abeokuta english

Maybe Seun remixed Do..y style and renamed it Canine approach shocked shocked shocked,holy smokes,what the hell is wrong with this spambot angry angry
Re: Snoop Has Crossed The Line by eldee(m): 3:07pm On Jun 30, 2011
StarBoard:

@eldee,
Really?
So let me get this right:you choose to be ambiguous to defend a guy who used to diss players for not being "real" just because he eventually sold out?
So the rap battles between LL any Kool Moe dee,MC shan& KRS One just to mention a few were over what?The east/west feud in the mid nineties that took hip-hop to another level,commercially and even artistically was over what?
If you must know,real hip-hop DOES exist,or rather has existed at some point in the game.Whether or not you choose to believe it or not.@

You wanna go into name-dropping, I'll take you as far back as Grandmaster-Flash and Afrika Bambaataa.
But if you wanna talk logic . . . what you call 'real hiphop' here is gangsta rap.

The world got tired of gangsta rap and rappers like Jay-Z and Snoop Dogg jumped off that . . . at the end of the day, you decide what he sings.
There's a reason why even with Dre 'I Need a Doctor' is more successful than 'Kush' . . . that won't have been the same a in the 90s.
What you have is a misconception that one type of rap is better than the other . . . and it's a simple opinion, and that's where it ends, an opinion.
Re: Snoop Has Crossed The Line by Mobinga: 9:30pm On Jun 30, 2011
Idiocy.
Re: Snoop Has Crossed The Line by shotster50(m): 12:18am On Jul 01, 2011
The simple fact i that the Hip Hop of the 90s is dead and gone, The artistes themselvs have had to adapt to the changing trends, We can all sit and reminisce about the good all days but the truth is , it aint coming back, It is eiher you switch up or you get left behind,
Re: Snoop Has Crossed The Line by baslone: 4:11pm On Jul 01, 2011
shotster50:

The simple fact i that the Hip Hop of the 90s is dead and gone, The artistes themselvs have had to adapt to the changing trends, We can all sit and reminisce about the good all days but the truth is , it aint coming back, It is eiher you switch up or you get left behind,

W.O.R.D!!!!
Re: Snoop Has Crossed The Line by redsun(m): 2:55am On Jul 02, 2011
Biggie and Tupac are legends,natural born superstars.Their artistic prowess flows smoothly like a gentle stream.

They were more to the black cause like Malcolm X was.And that brings the question of who really killed and for what reasons?

(1) (2) (Reply)

I Made 2012 Naija Mix | Wetin-dey.com / What Plugin Is Used To Create That High-life Guitar? / VIDEO: Police Women Dancing Sexy On The Job!!! (VIDEO)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 143
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.