Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,154,186 members, 7,822,006 topics. Date: Thursday, 09 May 2024 at 12:57 AM

A Question For The Mathematicians In The House - Education - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Education / A Question For The Mathematicians In The House (230 Views)

The Mathematicians, Help Me With This Question / The Mathematicians In The House, Please Help To Solve This Question. / Mathematicians In The House. I Need Your Help On Mensuration (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

A Question For The Mathematicians In The House by Timijo(m): 5:35am On Feb 21, 2022
I have tried to apply all the angle theorems that I know to answer question b but my result does not correspond to the rules.
Can we assume that angles A and C are 90⁰?

Note: AD is not parallel to BC.
Look at the diagram below, if you know the right theorem to use, please solve it
Thanks in anticipation.

1 Like

Re: A Question For The Mathematicians In The House by dejt4u(m): 6:16am On Feb 21, 2022
Timijo:
I have tried to apply all the angle theorems that I know to answer question b but my result does not correspond to the rules.
Can we assume that angles A and C are 90⁰?

Note: AD is not parallel to BC.
Look at the diagram below, if you know the right theorem to use, please solve it
Thanks in anticipation.
very simple question.

Split the shape into two triangles. If the angle at the middle is O.
Then we have triangles ADO and BCO.

But <C is 60° (i.e, (360 - (120×2))/2),

Therefore, A + D + 60° = 180°
A + D = 120°.......eqn 1
Similarly, B + C + 60° = 180°
B + C = 120° ........eqn 2

(a) sum of angles A, B, C and D can be established by adding eqn 1 and eqn 2 together. That is,
A + D + B + C = 120 + 120,
A + B + C + D = 240°.
therefore, the sum of angles A, B, C and D is 240° which is less than 360°

(b) A + B + C + D = 240°.

1 Like

Re: A Question For The Mathematicians In The House by Timijo(m): 7:26am On Feb 21, 2022
dejt4u:
very simple question.

A + D = 120°.......eqn 1

(a) sum of angles A, B, C and D can be established by adding eqn 1 and eqn 2 together. That is,
A + B + C + D = 240°.

And a Year 7 student is expected to comprehend this.
Anyway, thank you for your input, I appreciate it.
Re: A Question For The Mathematicians In The House by Timijo(m): 9:01am On Feb 21, 2022
dejt4u:
very simple question.

I have a question here.
How does the rule of the sum of angles at a point/reflex angles affect
angle C? It seems logical but I'm not convinced.
Never mind, I got the reason behind that now. It's even straightforward when the diagram is considered as a quadrilateral. Thanks again.

A + D = 120°.......eqn 1

A + B + C + D = 240°.

(1) (Reply)

Laboratory Wares Chemicals, And Reagents / Data Analytics Course / UCL Global Undergraduate Scholarship For International Students To Study In UK

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 14
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.