Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,156,209 members, 7,829,327 topics. Date: Thursday, 16 May 2024 at 02:33 AM

The Mathematicians In The House, Please Help To Solve This Question. - Education - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Education / The Mathematicians In The House, Please Help To Solve This Question. (1504 Views)

The Mathematicians, Help Me With This Question / Mathematicians In The House, Kindly Solve This Linear Algebra Question / Mathematicians In The House. I Need Your Help On Mensuration (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

The Mathematicians In The House, Please Help To Solve This Question. by Timijo(m): 7:32am On Jan 20, 2021
Hello guys,
Please I need someone to help me solve this. I am still battling with it.

Three swimmers must swim from AA to BB and back. First, the first starts, after 5 seconds - the second, after another 5 seconds - the third. Some point CC, located between points AA and BB, all swimmers passed at the same time (until that time, none of them had visited BB). The third swimmer, having reached BB and turning back, meets the second one 9 m from and the first one - 15 m from BB. Find the speed of the third swimmer if the ABAB distance is 55 m.

1 Like

Re: The Mathematicians In The House, Please Help To Solve This Question. by Nobody: 10:03am On Jan 20, 2021
Timijo:
Hello guys,
Three swimmers must swim from AA to BB and back. First, the first starts, after 5 seconds - the second, after another 5 seconds - the third. Some point CC, located between points AA and BB, all swimmers passed at the same time (until that time, none of them had visited BB). The third swimmer, having reached BB and turning back, meets the second one 9 m from and the first one - 15 m from BB. Find the speed of the third swimmer if the ABAB distance is 55 m.
Son, this is some bad ass question you've got here and I doubt if there exist an answer to this, as there are inadequate values to work with.
Even if there were an answer, it's definitely going to be a relative answer. That is, perhaps the speed of third swimmer relative to speed of second/first swimmer. E.g 2x speed of first swimmer, instead of a specific speed like 5m/s.
No specific time duration was given meaning the swimmers could have completed this task for any time length. Could have even taken them a whole year to swim to point BB.

The third swimmer, having reached BB and turning back, meets the second one 9m from (9m from where? From the sky or where?) and the first one - 15 m from BB. Find the speed of the third swimmer if the ABAB distance is 55 m.
@bolded areas. You don't make typo errors in this kind of sensitive question.
You typed '9m from', but failed to link it to anything.
Then what is ABAB? You mean AA to BB?

Some point CC, located between points AA and BB, all swimmers passed at the same time (until that time, none of them had visited BB).
Son, this information is useless. We're not dumb, we know they would definitely meet at a particular point. So how do will apply this info when no value was given as regards the distance or time taken to reach point CC, nor was this info linked to anywhere else in the question. It's just an idle info. In fact, it's more of a confusion than information.

Tell your lecturer who gave you this 'mission impossible' of a question to shove it back to wherever he brought it out from. Don't end up in a coma trying hard to solve this unsolvable question. My two cents.

3 Likes 3 Shares

Re: The Mathematicians In The House, Please Help To Solve This Question. by hillsway(m): 2:07pm On Jan 20, 2021
light099:

Son, this is some bad ass question you've got here and I doubt if there exist an answer to this, as there are inadequate values to work with.
Even if there were an answer, it's definitely going to be a relative answer. That is, perhaps the speed of third swimmer relative to speed of second/first swimmer. E.g 2x speed of first swimmer, instead of a specific speed like 5m/s.
No specific time duration was given meaning the swimmers could have completed this task for any time length. Could have even taken them a whole year to swim to point BB.

@bolded areas. You don't make typo errors in this kind of sensitive question.
You typed '9m from', but failed to link it to anything.
Then what is ABAB? You mean AA to BB?

Son, this information is useless. We're not dumb, we know they would definitely meet at a particular point. So how do will apply this info when no value was given as regards the distance or time taken to reach point CC, nor was this info linked to anywhere else in the question. It's just an idle info. In fact, it's more of a confusion than information.

Tell your lecturer who gave you this 'mission impossible' of a question to shove it back to wherever he brought it out from. Don't end up in a coma trying hard to solve this unsolvable question. My two cents.
There is a solution to this question, it's just the way the question was coined that has an issue...The topic I believe falls under-speed, time and distance word problem.
Re: The Mathematicians In The House, Please Help To Solve This Question. by Nobody: 3:28pm On Jan 20, 2021
hillsway:
There is a solution to this question, it's just the way the question was coined that has an issue...The topic I believe falls under-speed, time and distance word problem.

Alright but this isn't about belief or claim, it's a mathematics question. Simple calculations and answer is what is needed.
Since you said it has a solution, kindly show us the solution and workings. Only then can I agree with you.
Give the answer and I'll agree with your claim.

1 Like 1 Share

Re: The Mathematicians In The House, Please Help To Solve This Question. by DesChyko: 6:08pm On Jan 20, 2021
Was able to establish some form of ratio between each speed and the time taken from the first part of the equation. Using time t + 10, t + 5 and t as time taken for the 1st, 2nd and 3rd runner to get to same distance AA to CC, I established a ratio for all three speeds.

Then with the second information, I related the identical time taken for 3rd swimmer to get to 64m and 2nd swimmer at 46m. As well as the identical time taken for 3rd swimmer to get to 70m and 1st swimmer at 40m. The aim was to establish a ratio between the 3rd swimmer speed and each of the other two.

Since the speed is constant, I used the ratio from the first information (S3/S2) and the ratio from the second (still S3/S2) information to estimate the the time in the first instance t = 115/9.

Anyway, I landed erroneously at 2.5m/s. Don't ask me how, but I'm calling it a night. sad

1 Like

Re: The Mathematicians In The House, Please Help To Solve This Question. by Nobody: 7:27pm On Jan 20, 2021
DesChyko:
Was able to establish some form of ratio between each speed and the time taken from the first part of the equation. Using time t + 10, t + 5 and t as time taken for the 1st, 2nd and 3rd runner to get to same distance AA to CC, I established a ratio for all three speeds.

Then with the second information, I related the identical time taken for 3rd swimmer to get to 64m and 2nd swimmer at 46m. As well as the identical time taken for 3rd swimmer to get to 70m and 1st swimmer at 40m. The aim was to establish a ratio between the 3rd swimmer speed and each of the other two.

Since the speed is constant, I used the ratio from the first information (S3/S2) and the ratio from the second (still S3/S2) information to estimate the the time in the first instance t = 115/9.

Anyway, I landed erroneously at 2.5m/s. Don't ask me how, but I'm calling it a night. sad

Very cool job. Nice try. At least you're better than the other guy making claims with no answer to back it up.
Except that it could also be 4.5m/s, no way to verity the answer.
It's an invalid question.
Re: The Mathematicians In The House, Please Help To Solve This Question. by DesChyko: 8:19pm On Jan 20, 2021
light099:

Very cool job. Nice try. At least you're better than the other guy making claims with no answer to back it up.
Except that it could also be 4.5m/s, no way to verity the answer.
It's an invalid question.

Yeah. I feel there's a link. Just can't see it cleanly yet.
Re: The Mathematicians In The House, Please Help To Solve This Question. by ultramayor: 9:20pm On Jan 20, 2021
Wish I fit speak una languagesad
Re: The Mathematicians In The House, Please Help To Solve This Question. by Slynation(m): 9:33pm On Jan 20, 2021
Timijo:
Hello guys,

The 3rd swimmer must be a dolphin.....Good luck to whomever gets the answer
Re: The Mathematicians In The House, Please Help To Solve This Question. by DesChyko: 10:16pm On Jan 20, 2021
Slynation:

The 3rd swimmer must be a dolphin.....Good luck to whomever gets the answer

grin
Re: The Mathematicians In The House, Please Help To Solve This Question. by ekaette1621: 3:24am On Jan 21, 2021
Timijo:
Hello guys,

do i look like Wole SOLVENka?

Op bewarn o oo ooo

anyway,
i laugh in a Fulani way
Re: The Mathematicians In The House, Please Help To Solve This Question. by Martinez39s(m): 3:39am On Jan 21, 2021
Re: The Mathematicians In The House, Please Help To Solve This Question. by Timijo(m): 10:55am On Jan 21, 2021
Martinez39s:
@Timijo

[1] We shall presume that each swimmer swam with a uniform velocity. Let's call the uniform velocities of first, second and third swimmer V1 , V2 , & V3 respectively.

[2] Let t be time reading of the wrist watch of a neutral observer which started counting from 0 s when the first swimmer started his race. Let T1 , T2 , & T3 respectively represent the time readings of the watches of first, second, and third swimmer which all started reading from 0 s when their respective owners started swimming.

[3] We have from [2] and the question the following equations:

[4] Let tc represent the time reading on the neutral observer's watch when all swimmer's met at CC. From the question, you have

[5] Let tb represent the time reading on the neutral observer's watch when the third swimmer got to BB. From the question, it follows that

[6] Solving the equations in [5] and [4] simultaneously (you will have to do this on your own), we discover the following

NB: when you solve simultaneously and get tb = 4 tc , you will, after the appropriate substitution, get the following quadratic equation 12tc2 – 375tc + 150 = 0.
You did a nice job here, but I need to digest it.
Re: The Mathematicians In The House, Please Help To Solve This Question. by Timijo(m): 11:04am On Jan 21, 2021
Martinez39s:
@Timijo

[1] We shall presume that each swimmer swam with a uniform velocity. Let's call the uniform velocities of first, second and third swimmer V1 , V2 , & V3 respectively.

[2] Let t be time reading of the wrist watch of a neutral observer which started counting from 0 s when the first swimmer started his race. Let T1 , T2 , & T3 respectively represent the time readings of the watches of first, second, and third swimmer which all started reading from 0 s when their respective owners started swimming.

[4] Let tc represent the time reading on the neutral observer's watch when all swimmer's met at CC. From the question, you have

[5] Let tb represent the time reading on the neutral observer's watch when the third swimmer got to BB. From the question, it follows that

[6] Solving the equations in [5] and [4] simultaneously (you will have to do this on your own), we discover the following

NB: when you solve simultaneously and get tb = 4 tc , you will, after the appropriate substitution, get the following quadratic equation 12tc2 – 375tc + 150 = 0.
Please, what are the 4th and 5th equations you referred to?
Re: The Mathematicians In The House, Please Help To Solve This Question. by Nobody: 11:38am On Jan 21, 2021
Martinez39s:
@Timijo
40 = V1 tb
46 = V2 (tb – 5)
55 = V3 (tb – 10)

I'm impressed, I must say.
This is a job well done. Smart and neat. Highly organised.

Check the part of your post I quoted here.
At time tb, when S3 covered 55m, no one knows the distance covered by S1 and S2.
Rather, S3 covered 64m at the time S2 was at 46m.
While S3 covered 70m at the time S1 was at 40m.

The only place we can link them all up is point CC like you've rightly done.
Re: The Mathematicians In The House, Please Help To Solve This Question. by Nobody: 11:44am On Jan 21, 2021
DesChyko:

Yeah. I feel there's a link. Just can't see it cleanly yet.

You might not see it cleanly eventually. It's a crazy question. When you go back to your calculations, it's likely you're not able to follow the steps anymore or you discover you made a mistake in the calculation.
I doubt if it has an answer.

1 Like 1 Share

Re: The Mathematicians In The House, Please Help To Solve This Question. by DesChyko: 2:00pm On Jan 21, 2021
light099:

You might not see it cleanly eventually. It's a crazy question. When you go back to your calculations, it's likely you're not able to follow the steps anymore or you discover you made a mistake in the calculation.
I doubt if it has an answer.

I swear grin
Re: The Mathematicians In The House, Please Help To Solve This Question. by Martinez39s(m): 6:05pm On Jan 21, 2021
Timijo:
Please, what are the 4th and 5th equations you referred to?
I never said 4th and 5th equations. I only said solve the equations in [4] and [5] simultaneously.

== The equations in [4] are:
S1 (tc ) = S2 (tc ) = S3 (tc )

V1 tc = V2 (tc – 5) = V3 (tc – 10)

== The equations in [5] are:
40 = V1 tb
46 = V2 (tb – 5)
55 = V3 (tb – 10)

Hope you get.
Re: The Mathematicians In The House, Please Help To Solve This Question. by Martinez39s(m): 6:20pm On Jan 21, 2021
light099:

I'm impressed, I must say.
This is a job well done. Smart and neat. Highly organised.

Check the part of your post I quoted here.
At time tb, when S3 covered 55m, no one knows the distance covered by S1 and S2.
Rather, S3 covered 64m at the time S2 was at 46m.
While S3 covered 70m at the time S1 was at 40m.

The only place we can link them all up is point CC like you've rightly done.
The first swimmer started first. The second swimmer started 5s later, and the third swimmer started another 5s later. Despite this, they all got to the same place CC at the same time on the neutral observer's wrist watch. What does this tell you? The third swimmer is swimming the fastest follow by the second and then the first. This means
V3 > V2 > V1

The implication of this is that starting from CC (where the three swimmers are at the same point), the third swimmer reached BB before the first and second swimmers. When the third swimmer reached BB, the second swimmer still needed to travel 9m to reach BB and the first needed to travel 15m to reach BB.

Hence when the third swimmer had travelled 55m (from AA to BB), the second had travelled 46m and the third had travelled 40m.

@Timijo
Re: The Mathematicians In The House, Please Help To Solve This Question. by Nobody: 7:36pm On Jan 21, 2021
Martinez39s:
The first swimmer started first. The second swimmer started 5s later, and the third swimmer started another 5s later. Despite this, they all got to the same place CC at the same time on the neutral observer's wrist watch. What does this tell you? The third swimmer is swimming the fastest follow by the second and then the first. This means
V3 > V2 > V1
The implication of this is that starting from CC (where the three swimmers are at the same point), the third swimmer reached BB before the first and second swimmers.
Sure it is very obvious.
It's the first thing to note when one reads the question. Third swimmer is the fastest, followed by second and first swimmer.

When the third swimmer reached BB, the second swimmer still needed to travel 9m to reach BB and the first needed to travel 15m to reach BB.
Hence when the third swimmer had travelled 55m (from AA to BB), the second had travelled 46m and the third had travelled 40m.
@Timijo
This is the point you misinterpreted the question.
Note from the original question:
1. "Three swimmers must swim from AA to BB and back."
They're going to and fro. Not just to BB. Their movement is from AA to BB, then back to AA.

2. "The third swimmer, having reached BB and turning back, meets the second one 9 m from BB."
We were not told what happened when the third swimmer got to point BB. We're only informed after he has gotten there and now turned back to AA.
If a car travels 55m and turns back and travels another 9m. What's is the total distance covered up to that point? 55m? Obviously not.
It would be 55m + the 9m after turning back = 64m.
So at the time (T1), second swimmer covered 46m, while third swimmer covered 64m.

3. and the first one - 15 m from BB.
At that time (T2), first swimmer covered 40m, while third swimmer has now covered 70m (55m + 15m).
Re: The Mathematicians In The House, Please Help To Solve This Question. by Martinez39s(m): 1:58am On Jan 22, 2021
@Timijo, I misinterpreted your question at first due to the fact that I rushed it. @light099 has pointed out my errors and I have corrected my workings. I present the solution to your question, below.

[1] We shall presume that each swimmer swam with a uniform velocity. Let's call the uniform velocities of first, second and third swimmer V1 , V2 , & V3 respectively. From the question, it is obvious that
V3 > V2 > V1

S1 (t) = V1 T1 = V1 t
S2 (t) = V2 T2 = V1 (t – 5)
S3 (t) = V3 T3 = V3 (t – 10)

Where S1 , S2 and S3 are distances travelled by the first, second and third swimmers respectively.

[4] Let tc represent the time reading on the neutral observer's watch when all swimmers met at CC. From the question, you have
S1 (tc ) = S2 (tc ) = S3 (tc )

V1 tc = V2 (tc – 5) = V3 (tc – 10)

It is clear that tc > 10 s

[5] Let t32 represent the time reading on the neutral observer's watch when the third swimmer, on his return, met the second swimmer. Also, let t31 represent the time reading on the neutral observer's watch when the third swimmer, on his return, met the first swimmer. From the question, it follows that
64 = V3 (t32 – 10) ------(1)
46 = V2 (t32 – 5) ------(2)
70 = V3 (t31 – 10) ------(3)
40 = V1 t31 ------(4)

It is clear that t32 > 10 s and t31 > 10 s

[6] In [5] when you divide (1) by (2), you obtain this equation
35t32 = 32t31 + 30

[7] Using the equation in [6] on those in [5], you can obtain the following with appropriate substitution
40 = V1 t31
70 = V3 (t31 – 10)
1610 = V2 (32t31 – 145)

[8] Solving the equations in [7] and [4] simultaneously (you will have to do this on your own), we discover the following
• t31 = 4 tc
• tc = 20 s
• t31 = 80 s
• t32 = 74 s
• V3 = 1 m/s (YOUR ANSWER).
• V2 = 0.666... m/s
• V1 = 0.5 m/s

NB: when you solve simultaneously and get t31 = 4 tc , you will, after the appropriate substitution, get the following quadratic equation 12tc2 – 245tc + 100 = 0.
Re: The Mathematicians In The House, Please Help To Solve This Question. by Timijo(m): 3:27am On Jan 22, 2021
Martinez39s:
@Timijo , I misinterpreted your question at first due to the fact that I rushed it. @light099 has pointed out my errors and I have corrected my workings. I present the solution to your question below.

[1] We shall presume that each swimmer swam with a uniform velocity. Let's call the uniform velocities of first, second and third swimmer V1 , V2 , & V3 respectively. From the question, it is obvious that

[4] Let tc represent the time reading on the neutral observer's watch when all swimmers met at CC. From the question, you have

[5] Let t32 represent the time reading on the neutral observer's watch when the third swimmer, on his return, met the second swimmer. Also, let t31 represent the time reading on the neutral observer's watch when the third swimmer, on his return, met the first swimmer. From the question, it follows that

[6] In [5] when you divide (1) by (2), you obtain this equation

[7] Using the equation in [6] on those in [5], you can obtain the following with appropriate substitution

[8] Solving the equations in [7] and [4] simultaneously (you will have to do this on your own), we discover the following

NB: when you solve simultaneously and get t31 = 4 tc , you will, after the appropriate substitution, get the following quadratic equation 12tc2 – 245tc + 100 = 0.
Well done and thank you.
Re: The Mathematicians In The House, Please Help To Solve This Question. by Martinez39s(m): 3:57am On Jan 22, 2021
Timijo:
Well done and thank you.
Did it tally with the answer in your textbook?
Re: The Mathematicians In The House, Please Help To Solve This Question. by Timijo(m): 7:49am On Jan 22, 2021
Martinez39s:
Did it tally with the answer in your textbook?
The question is not from textbook, it is a Russian Olympiad question.
From the solution you provided and compared to the the answer on the Russian Olympiad website, it is correct.
Re: The Mathematicians In The House, Please Help To Solve This Question. by Nobody: 9:19am On Jan 22, 2021
Martinez39s:

• t31 = 4 tc
• tc = 20 s
• t31 = 80 s
• t32 = 74 s
• V3 = 1 m/s (YOUR ANSWER).
• V2 = 0.666... m/s
• V1 = 0.5 m/s

Now, this is very cool.
Finally, I think this is the long awaited answer. I'm impressed.
You deleted the initial solution. Why? Can I have your initial answers?
Timijo, so far, this should be your answer you've been looking for right here.
Martinez39s you're the GOAT, far better than irrelevant Pessi and Penaldo combined.
If you can solve this, then you could also solve some world's vital problems.
If some Pessi and Penaldo earn a lot per week, why should you earn less when you can offer a lot more to the world? It is sheer deprivation.
The 'system' cheats you. And I won't be surprised if you're one of the so called fans who worship these clowns while in the real sense, they should be your fans worshipping you.
The 'system' has turned 'smart' people into psychological 'simps'. That is why a genius would happily worship and lick the feet of a clown. The weak have taken the earth.

If Bill Gate didn't rebel, he would have been a unpopular pauper today licking the feet of some Pessi and Penaldo.
Until every smart, intelligent mind out there wakes up in the same consciousness of Bill Gate, the weak would continue to rule the strong.
There is going to be a great rebellion someday, when the 'powerholds' of the world would wake up and take their places and all the clowns would be sent back to the trash where they all belong to. But how would that day come soon if bright minds continue to act dumb?

Jack273 ortega004 you can see from this thread that I don't seek to always win a conversation? That's even immature.
When I sincerely see that you're right, I agree.
In fact, I like it when someone else is right and can prove his/her points. I learn this way and it impresses me.
But how do you want me to agree with you when I've already made valid points to prove myself right, while you're obviously wrong and you can't even prove your points?

All I seek for in life is right and sincere answers. The right answers don't always have to come from me. They could come from someone else. It doesn't matter. As long as they're right answers, I'm sincere enough to agree.

1 Like 1 Share

(1) (Reply)

University Of Manitoba / Father Died While Fighting His Daughter's Bus Driver For Molesting Her - Photos / Why JAMB Is After My Daughter – Ejikeme Mmesoma’s Father Opens Up In Tears

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 87
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.