Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,567 members, 7,816,386 topics. Date: Friday, 03 May 2024 at 10:33 AM

Afang Soup In Three Easy Steps (Pictures) - Food - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Food / Afang Soup In Three Easy Steps (Pictures) (33137 Views)

Naija Man Makes The Best Okra Soup In Brazil! (pix) / Fish And Crab Soup In Peru / Step By Step Method Of Preparing Egg Soup In 15mins (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (Reply) (Go Down)

Afang Soup In Three Easy Steps (Pictures) by pocohantas(f): 6:16pm On Feb 21, 2022
Afang Soup In Three Easy Steps

This post is dedicated to @Odewaleadesoye

Wale please where are you? cheesy

Afang is my favourite soup and if I had to survive on just one food, it would be afang and any swallow.

Afang is an Ibibio/Efik soup. Made with waterleaf and afang leaves, some people say the soup is not just delicious but nutritious and medicinal.

INGREDIENTS

Afang (what Igbos call okazi)
- Waterleaf
- Meat (goat meat and cow leg)
- Dry fish
- Smoke panla
- Stock fish
- Unshelled periwinkles
- Palm oil
- Scotch bonnet (yellow)
- Ground prawn and crayfish
- Seasoning cubes
- Salt (to taste)

NOTE

1)If you have spent time wondering why your afang soup turns out bitter, I want you to know it is beyond your control. There are bitter afang leaves, the darker (greener) it is, the more bitter it turns out. Let’s blame it on chlorophyll. So, go for the lighter leaves. Please don’t buy an unnecessarily dry leaf.

2)I advise you to use goat meat and any other meat of your choice. The reason being that goat meat accentuates the taste of afang soup. The rule is, if you want the meat to influence the taste of the soup/food - use goat meat.

3) An Ibibio/Efik person would say it is sacrilege to use shelled periwinkles. I’ll say if unshelled periwinkles freaks you out, please use shelled ones. tongue tongue

4) Afang is a capital intensive soup. The rich taste comes from the plenty of fish and rich stock.

5) There is no afang without oil. Please be generous with palm oil.

6) You don’t use onions, ginger and garlic in afang, but you can try and let me know how it goes. smiley

How do you like it?
With shelled (Pic 1) or unshelled (Pic 2) periwinkles?

35 Likes 11 Shares

Re: Afang Soup In Three Easy Steps (Pictures) by pocohantas(f): 6:16pm On Feb 21, 2022
NL keeps destroying picture quality embarassed

PREPARATION

1)Pick the waterleaf, wash and slice it. Squeeze well and put in a sieve so it can keep draining.

2) Wash the afang leaves, allow to dry, slice it, pound or use a food processor/blender to blend it. Preferably, buy and blend in the market. If you are blending at home, you would have to put in some water, just a little to allow the blades to move.

3) Soak your stockfish and dry fish in hot water. Pick out the bones and set aside.

4) If you are using unshelled periwinkles, ensure they cut it for you. Then you wash well with warm water to remove sand particles. Be patient until the water is clear.

Pic 1: I bought this cow leg @ N2400. I hope that was a good bargain. embarassed

Pic 2: Cut periwinkles. If you don’t cut it, you can’t suck it out.

Pic 3: Yellow scotch bonnet. Flavourful and spicy.

Pic 4: Stockfish and smoked panla.

8 Likes 7 Shares

Re: Afang Soup In Three Easy Steps (Pictures) by pocohantas(f): 6:16pm On Feb 21, 2022
NOW TO THE COOKING

The steps are almost the same with edikan ikong.

STEP 1: Put all the meat in a pot, season properly and leave to cook. I started with the cow leg, then the goat meat. When it is almost tender, I put in the stock fish and periwinkles and let them cook together until they are all tender.

STEP 2: In the past I would have said, LET THE STOCK DRY UP, but NO, allow some stock remain. Thick stock. Then you add your waterleaf, dry fish, ground prawn, palm oil, fresh pepper, seasoning cubes and salt. Stir and allow to boil for about 5 minutes.

STEP 3: Check to see if the waterleaf has released its water content. If yes, please go ahead and put in your afang...a little at a time. Stir and check for seasoning. Feel free to readjust if need be. Add some ground prawn, stir again, allow to boil for 2 minutes and turn off heat.

Pic 1: What I had after I finished steaming all the choppables.
Pic 2: Water leaf has released its water content.
Pic 3: I saw these knorr cubes and bought them. I guess this means no MSG. How we go confirm?

12 Likes 8 Shares

Re: Afang Soup In Three Easy Steps (Pictures) by pocohantas(f): 6:17pm On Feb 21, 2022
Oluwa o.

Nairaland is just changing the colour of my food o. Which kind wahala be this?

So what would you have this with?

SOURCE: My Food Blog

By the way, I hope we all know that

SHELLED PERIWINKLES = Without shell
UNSHELLED PERIWINKLES = With shell

Because I am getting confused here. English is hard o. cheesy cheesy

21 Likes 8 Shares

Re: Afang Soup In Three Easy Steps (Pictures) by cashmyles: 6:38pm On Feb 21, 2022
I'm salivating!! You're indeed a wife material grin

23 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Afang Soup In Three Easy Steps (Pictures) by inspectorg(m): 6:49pm On Feb 21, 2022
cashmyles:
I'm salivating!! You're indeed a wife material0p
Be specific, like how many yards?..., For potential INVESTORS. Nice Cooking though... cheesy cheesy

15 Likes 1 Share

Re: Afang Soup In Three Easy Steps (Pictures) by Nobody: 6:52pm On Feb 21, 2022
Omo hanty see as your skin just fresh like gibsco bread and rich newborn baby yansh

58 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Afang Soup In Three Easy Steps (Pictures) by folake4u(f): 6:53pm On Feb 21, 2022
This looks yummy oh.

Poco, waybill mine to Abuja, make I take see front. kiss

4 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Afang Soup In Three Easy Steps (Pictures) by Mariangeles(f): 6:54pm On Feb 21, 2022
pocohantas:
NL keeps destroying picture quality embarassed

I know right?
Yours even came out nice since the light spread evenly.

PREPARATION

Pic 1: I bought this cow leg @ N2400. I hope that was a good bargain. embarassed

Pic 2: Cut periwinkles. If you don’t cut it, you can’t suck it out.

Pic 3: Yellow scotch bonnet. Flavourful and spicy.

Pic 4: Stockfish and smoked panla.

You went all the way this one.

With that yellow pepper ehn, I can already imagine the aroma and how spicy it was.

6 Likes 1 Share

Re: Afang Soup In Three Easy Steps (Pictures) by pocohantas(f): 6:55pm On Feb 21, 2022
cashmyles:

You no even check if I get small ogbanje or I dey violent. Because of soup, you done dash me wife material badge. Long throat. cheesy

folake4u:
This looks yummy oh.

Poco, waybill mine to Abuja, make I take see front. kiss

How many times would I tell you to focus on studies?

Senomii:
Hanty see as your skin just fresh like gibsco bread and rich newborn baby yansh

Lol. Thanks. What is Gibsco bread? Where is it sold?

11 Likes

Re: Afang Soup In Three Easy Steps (Pictures) by Mariangeles(f): 6:56pm On Feb 21, 2022
cashmyles:

Olounje! cheesy

8 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Afang Soup In Three Easy Steps (Pictures) by pocohantas(f): 6:56pm On Feb 21, 2022
Mariangeles:

I know right?
Yours even came out nice since the light spread evenly.

I am tired of vintage Nairaland. cheesy

You went all the way this one.

With that yellow pepper ehn, I can already imagine the aroma and how spicy it was.

Thanks Maria. My friend wanted it spicy. I do not make spicy afang but I had to follow her instructions. Yellow pepper is lit, my mum would never make soup without it. cheesy

11 Likes 1 Share

Re: Afang Soup In Three Easy Steps (Pictures) by folake4u(f): 6:59pm On Feb 21, 2022
pocohantas:

embarassed Na person wey dey alive dey read oh.

12 Likes 1 Share

Re: Afang Soup In Three Easy Steps (Pictures) by Nobody: 7:02pm On Feb 21, 2022
pocohantas:

Lol. Thanks. What is Gibsco bread? Where is it aold?

It's very scarce cos of it's quality and it's mostly reserved and sold to shell workers

8 Likes

Re: Afang Soup In Three Easy Steps (Pictures) by Magnoliaa(f): 7:02pm On Feb 21, 2022
pocohantas:

Awon omo alaigboron, won ko mo iwe, wa jeun jeun jeun, won a gb'odo... robo- lipsrsealed lipsrsealed

Lemme stop swearing. **runs for cover before the sword of justice gets here**

4 Likes 1 Share

Re: Afang Soup In Three Easy Steps (Pictures) by Mariangeles(f): 7:04pm On Feb 21, 2022
pocohantas:

I am tired of vintage Nairaland. cheesy

Thanks Maria. My friend wanted it spicy. I do not make spicy afang but I had to follow her instructions. Yellow pepper is lit, my mum would never make soup without it. cheesy

Yellow pepper is everything! Like everything!
For oha soup, na die!
I think it beats cameroon pepper when it comes to taste and aroma.

12 Likes

Re: Afang Soup In Three Easy Steps (Pictures) by pocohantas(f): 7:07pm On Feb 21, 2022
Mariangeles:

Yellow pepper is everything! Like everything!
For oha soup, na dirt!
I think it beats cameroon pepper when it comes to taste and aroma.

Fun Fact: Cameroon pepper is dried yellow pepper. cheesy cheesy

Anything FRESH would always trump the dry version. That is why I only use fresh pepper, ginger and garlic. Except I am being extremely lazy or clumsy.

10 Likes 1 Share

Re: Afang Soup In Three Easy Steps (Pictures) by folake4u(f): 7:10pm On Feb 21, 2022
Magnoliaa:

Awon omo alaigboron, won ko mo iwe, wa jeun jeun jeun, won a gb'odo... robo- lipsrsealed lipsrsealed

Lemme stop swearing. **runs for cover before the sword of justice gets here**

Mango oh!!!! grin grin grin

7 Likes 1 Share

Re: Afang Soup In Three Easy Steps (Pictures) by Mariangeles(f): 7:31pm On Feb 21, 2022
pocohantas:

Anything FRESH would always trump the dry version. That is why I only use fresh pepper, ginger and garlic. Except I am being extremely lazy or clumsy.

For real? I never knew that.

See as auto correct wan disgrace im mama. cheesy
I type die, the ode change am to dirt. Aseju! grin
Re: Afang Soup In Three Easy Steps (Pictures) by pocohantas(f): 7:37pm On Feb 21, 2022
Mariangeles:

For real? I never knew that.

See as auto correct wan disgrace im mama. cheesy
I type die, the ode change am to dirt. Aseju! grin

Yes babe. If you remember when cameroon pepper became a thing, it was expensive and spicy, you dare not touch mumsy’s cameroon pepper.

With time they started mixing it with Lord knows what and the potency dropped. Looking at it logically, the quantity they currently sell for N50 is not feasible or profitable, given the price of yellow pepper. cheesy

6 Likes 1 Share

Re: Afang Soup In Three Easy Steps (Pictures) by cashmyles: 7:55pm On Feb 21, 2022
[quote author=pocohantas post=110425266]

You no even check if I get small ogbanje or I dey violent. Because of soup, you done dash me wife material badge. Long throat. cheesy

Just make my favorite and prepare some gd delicacies, and with this your shortcomings would easily be managed

2 Likes

Re: Afang Soup In Three Easy Steps (Pictures) by cashmyles: 7:57pm On Feb 21, 2022
pocohantas:

Lol. Thanks. What is Gibsco bread? Where is it sold?

Just make my favorite and prepare some gd delicacies, and with this your shortcomings would easily be managed

1 Like

Re: Afang Soup In Three Easy Steps (Pictures) by cashmyles: 8:00pm On Feb 21, 2022
Mariangeles:

Olounje! cheesy

Ounje to ba dun nse ara lore.. Abi no be so?

2 Likes

Re: Afang Soup In Three Easy Steps (Pictures) by Odewaleadesoye(m): 8:23pm On Feb 21, 2022
pocohantas:
Afang Soup In Three Easy Steps

This post is dedicated to @Odewaleadesoye

Wale please where are you? cheesy

Afang is my favourite soup and if I had to survive on just one food, it would be afang and any swallow.

Afang is an Ibibio/Efik soup. Made with waterleaf and afang leaves, some people say the soup is not just delicious but nutritious and medicinal.

Sincerely speaking, this is a very delicious and well prepared Afang Soup.

I have learnt a lot from this.

Thank you so much for putting your precious time into this.

God bless you greatly sis.

Don't you think making a video will help too. You need to run a channel ma'am.

Well done once again.

7 Likes 1 Share

Re: Afang Soup In Three Easy Steps (Pictures) by Odewaleadesoye(m): 8:28pm On Feb 21, 2022
pocohantas:

Fresh will always remain fresh just like the way you've got fresh skin cool
Well done once again my awesome but lazy Cook cheesy grin

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: Afang Soup In Three Easy Steps (Pictures) by JohnGainsville(m): 8:40pm On Feb 21, 2022
Oh so the Afang leaves are used somehow as the soup thickener. I initially thought it was part of the main leaves in the soup. I've learnt something today, thank you

I prefer unshelled periwinkles, sucking it out can be quite exhausting.

For me na Fufu I go like use chop am.
I'll try this out one day

3 Likes 1 Share

Re: Afang Soup In Three Easy Steps (Pictures) by tutudesz: 8:44pm On Feb 21, 2022
tongue

5 Likes

Re: Afang Soup In Three Easy Steps (Pictures) by tillaman(m): 8:50pm On Feb 21, 2022
Yummy
First time I tried this delicacy was a ikeja computer village, damn it was sumptuous
Na that periwinkle trips I gbadun pass

1 Like

Re: Afang Soup In Three Easy Steps (Pictures) by Nobody: 8:53pm On Feb 21, 2022
This yellow pepper,pls where can one get it? I haven't come across it here in the north.

1 Like

Re: Afang Soup In Three Easy Steps (Pictures) by Mariangeles(f): 9:45pm On Feb 21, 2022
cashmyles:

Ounje to ba dun nse ara lore.. Abi no be so?

Bee ni, amo ounje to dun, owo lo paa. cheesy

3 Likes 1 Share

Re: Afang Soup In Three Easy Steps (Pictures) by Ihavethingstodo: 9:55pm On Feb 21, 2022
I use fresh yellow pepper to prepare all my soups, it has one kind of aroma I can't interpret! Very flavorful

Nice one, Pocohantas!

I prefer unshelled periwinkles, no time to dey suck suck grin

6 Likes 1 Share

Re: Afang Soup In Three Easy Steps (Pictures) by 1Sharon(f): 10:10pm On Feb 21, 2022
I'm so confused with the shelled periwinkles.

Does it mean someone eating afang soap with the shelled periwinkles is going to spend time cracking the shells as they would a walnut?

5 Likes 2 Shares

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (Reply)

'How Tomato Paste Importers Are Killing Nigerians' - Erisco Foods (2015) / Food: Who Would You Visit? (pic) / Christmas Day Rice About To Go Down, Check Out The Onions I Bought For #100

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 53
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.