Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,317 members, 7,815,601 topics. Date: Thursday, 02 May 2024 at 03:06 PM

How Putin Has Amassed A Staggering 6 Thousand Nuclear Weapons - Foreign Affairs - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Foreign Affairs / How Putin Has Amassed A Staggering 6 Thousand Nuclear Weapons (55791 Views)

Putin Wins Russia's Election With Staggering 87% Of Votes (Photos) / Putin Has Decided To Invade Ukraine On Wednesday - Intelligence Report / Operation Trojan Shield: 800 Arrested In Staggering Global Encrypted Phone Sting (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) ... (16) (Reply) (Go Down)

How Putin Has Amassed A Staggering 6 Thousand Nuclear Weapons by GardenOfGod(m): 10:01am On Mar 01, 2022
TERRIFYING ARSENAL: How Putin Has Amassed A Staggering SIX THOUSAND Nuclear Weapons That Could Reach UK In 20 Minutes

Vladimir Putin’s chilling decision to put his nuclear weapons arsenal into “combat duty” mode has caused panic across the world.

Since the Cold War started, it has been assumed the threat of “mutually assured destruction” ­— in which tit-for-tat strikes would destroy both parties — would prevent a nuclear war.

But the decision of the increasingly unpredictable Russian leader to place the world’s biggest atomic arsenal on standby is being taken very seriously indeed.

With the dictator’s invasion of Ukraine meeting far stiffer resistance than expected and Western governments uniting against it, such desperate — and terrifying — measures appear more likely.

When Putin announced his invasion, he warned the West that it would face “consequences never encountered in your history” if Nato was to interfere militarily.

So, could the nightmare come true? Putin certainly has the hardware for every scenario.

At his disposal are an estimated 5,977 warheads, of which 1,600 are ready to be deployed.

This terrifying arsenal can be launched from land, submarines and planes.

They include non-strategic “battlefield” nukes which have a smaller destructive power — and radioactive fallout — and are intended to destroy military capabilities rather than civilian populations. They can be anything from land mines to torpedos.

They have never been used in combat — so far.

Russia also has the more feared strategic nuclear weapons, which can be launched as warheads on powerful long-range missiles.

They include intercontinental ballistic missiles which would take just 20 minutes to get to Britain — and 30 to the US. These strategic weapons, with deliberately terrifying names such as Satan, are designed to wipe out entire cities.

Unleashing such weapons would come with a huge amount of risk for Putin. He knows Nato forces have an equally deadly stockpile, with the US retaining 5,428 warheads alongside the UK’s 225 and France’s 290.

But he may not care about retaliation.

The Russian leader suggested in 2018 he would be willing to see his homeland destroyed in a nuclear conflict.

He said: “If someone decides to annihilate Russia, we have the legal right to respond. Yes, it will be a catastrophe for humanity and for the world. But I’m a citizen of Russia and its head of state.

“Why do we need a world without Russia in it?”

This, though, was clearly a threat to respond in kind if Russia is ever attacked first.

Sam Ashworth-Hayes, of the Henry Jackson Society, told The Sun last night: “I think there is only a risk of escalation if Nato forces did directly become involved in the war in Ukraine.

“The message from Vladimir Putin to the West is to stay out of our business, because we will escalate if you interfere. "

Nato has made it clear it has no intention of intervening militarily in Ukraine. But one Russian analyst speculated Putin might fire a nuclear warning shot our way.

Pavel Felgenhauer, of the independently minded Novaya Gazeta, said: “One option for him is to cut gas supplies to Europe, hoping that will make the Europeans climb down. Another option is to explode a nuclear weapon somewhere over the North Sea between Britain and Denmark — and see what happens.”

And US intelligence spies fear Russia might have an “escalate to de-escalate” policy, which means if they should find themselves in conflict with Nato, they would threaten to use low-yield nukes in order to bring a war to an end.

'CONCERNING'
Conservative MP Tom Tugendhat also thinks Putin might resort to using nukes. He said: “It is concerning and it is not impossible that a Russian military order to use the whole-field nuclear weapons could be given.”

Many wonder whether the former KGB spymaster has become unhinged enough to risk escalating a conflict in this way.

But one expert believes this could be a ploy. Professor Andrew Wilson, from UCL, said: “Putin is playing a bit on the crazy. The theory goes that if people think I am mad enough to use them then that plays to my advantage.”

However, Mr Ashworth-Hayes thinks use of nukes is unlikely. He said: “It is important for people to stay calm. Tensions are very high, but there is no chance of either side launching nuclear weapons.

“Both the US and Russia have more than enough warheads to wipe each other out.

“The concept of ‘mutually assured destruction’ still stands.”
The Sun

20 Likes 6 Shares

Re: How Putin Has Amassed A Staggering 6 Thousand Nuclear Weapons by GardenOfGod(m): 10:02am On Mar 01, 2022
More

Re: How Putin Has Amassed A Staggering 6 Thousand Nuclear Weapons by Mossadd: 11:59am On Mar 01, 2022
Putin na real niggar he get effective cure for western madness

370 Likes 30 Shares

Re: How Putin Has Amassed A Staggering 6 Thousand Nuclear Weapons by GardenOfGod(m): 12:08pm On Mar 01, 2022
Mossadd:
Putin na real niggar he get effective cure for western madness
What do you mean by "western madness?"

103 Likes 12 Shares

Re: How Putin Has Amassed A Staggering 6 Thousand Nuclear Weapons by Nobody: 12:10pm On Mar 01, 2022
We can see how his arsenal are really working in Ukraine

79 Likes 6 Shares

Re: How Putin Has Amassed A Staggering 6 Thousand Nuclear Weapons by GardenOfGod(m): 12:18pm On Mar 01, 2022
BritishNaija:
We can see how is arsenal are really working in Ukraine
Not yet!

42 Likes 3 Shares

Re: How Putin Has Amassed A Staggering 6 Thousand Nuclear Weapons by Nobody: 12:19pm On Mar 01, 2022
GardenOfGod:
Not yet!

I see you do not get the sarcasm in that post.

47 Likes 4 Shares

Re: How Putin Has Amassed A Staggering 6 Thousand Nuclear Weapons by GardenOfGod(m): 12:23pm On Mar 01, 2022
BritishNaija:

I see you do not get the sarcasm in that post.
help me get it mate

12 Likes

Re: How Putin Has Amassed A Staggering 6 Thousand Nuclear Weapons by Righteousness2(m): 12:34pm On Mar 01, 2022
I listened to Some World leaders speak about Putin and I totally agree with them that Putin is a totally different being.

The Putin you see today is not the Putin that the World knew.
A Force greater than Putin has taken over him.

Like I have always said, Putin and Russia are Major Players in the Biblical Endtimes wars and Rumors of Wars. See Ezekiel 38 & 39 for more.
I Believe the "Spirit of Gog" has taken over him.
Look around you Folks and you will see clearly that Everything JESUS told as the Signs of His Coming is Happening everywhere!
The Coming of Christ is at Hand! Get ready to avoid Hath I known Lamentations..

166 Likes 20 Shares

Re: How Putin Has Amassed A Staggering 6 Thousand Nuclear Weapons by Truvelisback(m): 12:38pm On Mar 01, 2022
I now see why NATO is using Ukraine to test the dept of the river of Russia.

155 Likes 10 Shares

Re: How Putin Has Amassed A Staggering 6 Thousand Nuclear Weapons by naija4life247: 7:20pm On Mar 01, 2022
This guy can do anything. The boss is prepared for the worst.

Putin is ready for heaven to fall. He is an ex KGB, not a comedian like Ukraine clown and soon to be former president. He has planned this over the years. He is prepared to take the world including China if China decides to die with the enemies in the West including US, whole of Europe, Canada, Australia. Putin is ready to end the world, after all everything that has a beginning must surely has an end.

If Europe and US continue their nonsense, we will all wake up one day in Hell Fire because Putin will nuke all of us.

196 Likes 25 Shares

Re: How Putin Has Amassed A Staggering 6 Thousand Nuclear Weapons by temmypotter(m): 7:20pm On Mar 01, 2022
So?

Make him launch am first... Mutually assured destruction!

As a matter of fact, UK + US + India + Israel + France will have the entirety of Russia to the ground before he realizes the implication of what he's done.

Putin has to be silenced, no other way around it. How can one mad man's greed and personal vendetta be holding the entire world to ransom. Russians had better turn against the Dictator and displace him else, they might be collateral damage should the West decide to get involved on the war front.

If Putin is allowed to take Ukraine, I don't think anyone is prepared for what will follow. It'd be carnage and anarchy in a relatively peaceful Pax Americana era. The free world as we know it will change forever because of a fascist dwarf of a man

The children on this forum who don't know shit about Geopolitics and are supporting Putin on here as a hero.. May God forgive you.. You lot are just ignorant. Seek repentance and enlightenment now.

If you think this invasion is cause of the made up bullshit "NATO and Ukraine threat to Russia", You are just stupid.. no other way to put it

Modified

I can see the kids in my mention talking trash about the hypocrisy of the west blah blah blah... That's not my immediate concern, I am not saying Bush or Obama were saints.. But at least, America is a country that stands for the rule of law and neo liberalism. I will not go into debate to justify Iraq, Syria or Libya's invasion.... Again it's not my immediate concern.. But let me ask you a question.

Do you want to live in a world with Putin's Russia or Xi's China being the World number one superpower and World Capital, If you can't answer this question affirmatively then you are more of a Hypocrite than America is and you should crawl back into your little hole, your smug erroneous commentary about this issue doesn't make you an intellectual.

169 Likes 12 Shares

Re: How Putin Has Amassed A Staggering 6 Thousand Nuclear Weapons by DropsMic(m): 7:20pm On Mar 01, 2022
Western Media(s) are really having a field day

13 Likes 3 Shares

Re: How Putin Has Amassed A Staggering 6 Thousand Nuclear Weapons by irepnaija4eva(m): 7:21pm On Mar 01, 2022
Everybody should calm the Bleep down...
I just pray this doesn't escalate to a point of no return...

In as much Ukraine is a sovereign nation, zelensky would have tolled the side of peace.
I mean is logical enough to see Putin's Reason because even American or UK (NATO) won't allow Russia or China to even come close to their borders..

Currently EU has rejected Ukraine's proposals to be part of them.

https://www.opindia.com/2022/03/ukrainian-president-volodymyr-zelenskyys-immediate-membership-european-union-rejected/amp/

Yet NATO and other countries are supplying military hardwares to Ukraine...
Zelensky should use his head because they are at the receiving end of all this..

NB I'm not in anyway supporting Russia but sometimes a simple apply of common sence will make a difference..
Above all let peace reign.

Above all let peace reign o

72 Likes 3 Shares

Re: How Putin Has Amassed A Staggering 6 Thousand Nuclear Weapons by Nobody: 7:21pm On Mar 01, 2022
grin

1 Like

Re: How Putin Has Amassed A Staggering 6 Thousand Nuclear Weapons by fastseo: 7:21pm On Mar 01, 2022
If putin want to fight he should fight but threatening with nuclear weapons is like threatening the human race with all its civilization

37 Likes 7 Shares

Re: How Putin Has Amassed A Staggering 6 Thousand Nuclear Weapons by lessonotes(f): 7:21pm On Mar 01, 2022
He will be sorely disappointed if he tries to press any nuclear button. He will just see that the button launchers have been changed.

From time immemorial, nothing positive from Russia, only weapons. Abeg make una shift one side with una yeye weapons.

Enough of this scare tactics. The world is tired already.

106 Likes 5 Shares

Re: How Putin Has Amassed A Staggering 6 Thousand Nuclear Weapons by thatsleepboy1: 7:21pm On Mar 01, 2022
E don set
Re: How Putin Has Amassed A Staggering 6 Thousand Nuclear Weapons by Tomoyayi(m): 7:21pm On Mar 01, 2022
Rubbish Talk

All you guys supporting Putin, I'm sure you'll pick American Visa over Russian visa.

If He nukes anywhere, Russia is finished.
You'll be surprised that some countries around them just dey wait for the perfect opportunity to Bleep Russia up.

21 Likes 4 Shares

Re: How Putin Has Amassed A Staggering 6 Thousand Nuclear Weapons by HitSong: 7:21pm On Mar 01, 2022
No bastard unfortunate NATO country including evil USA will ever attack Russia directly. If dem born una papa well, make una try am. WW3 will be so interesting...
I see China invading Taiwan...
I see North Korea nuking South Korea...
I see Iran nuking Israel...

All there is to start all these is for one mumu NATO country to attack Russia directly.
You can give Ukraine all the weapons of this world to fight but you dare not attack Russia from your country.
Putin has a lot of nuclear weapons and he is very ready to use them. Try any nonsense and see fire!

USA is just looking for trouble... Trouble that will be too big for them to deal with and control...

52 Likes 6 Shares

Re: How Putin Has Amassed A Staggering 6 Thousand Nuclear Weapons by Dalil8: 7:21pm On Mar 01, 2022
In 1994 Ukraine, a former member of the Soviet Union returned its nearly 5000 nuclear weapons to Russia. As at the time Russia had nearly 45,000 Nukes.

So where did the remaining 44,000 nukes go? And please don't tell me they've been retired or dismantled.

I refuse to believe both Russia and the U.S have just 12,000 Nukes combined. Both countries by now would have amassed nothing less than 100,000 Nuclear warheads each.

They're withholding this info from the rest of the world so we might be able to sleep well at night.

140 Likes 11 Shares

Re: How Putin Has Amassed A Staggering 6 Thousand Nuclear Weapons by HitSong: 7:21pm On Mar 01, 2022
Good.

Unleash them if they try any nonsense with you Putin cool

6 Likes 2 Shares

Re: How Putin Has Amassed A Staggering 6 Thousand Nuclear Weapons by MangekyoAlt: 7:22pm On Mar 01, 2022
undecided
Re: How Putin Has Amassed A Staggering 6 Thousand Nuclear Weapons by Omniman(m): 7:22pm On Mar 01, 2022
sad
Re: How Putin Has Amassed A Staggering 6 Thousand Nuclear Weapons by mytime24(f): 7:22pm On Mar 01, 2022
Hilter
Re: How Putin Has Amassed A Staggering 6 Thousand Nuclear Weapons by Chatflick(m): 7:22pm On Mar 01, 2022
Putin can't use it. Right now it's not possible and he knows that.

8 Likes

Re: How Putin Has Amassed A Staggering 6 Thousand Nuclear Weapons by Nobody: 7:23pm On Mar 01, 2022
Lols...
Just lols...

He only knows the plan he has. Doesn't know what others have up their sleeves for him..

Bet some of these fools cheering Putin on don't know a nuclear weapons is hotter than the Sun.. Imagen how much damage a nuclear war would cause. The shockwave of it alone can kill.

26 Likes 3 Shares

Re: How Putin Has Amassed A Staggering 6 Thousand Nuclear Weapons by RapistOnBail: 7:23pm On Mar 01, 2022
grin
Re: How Putin Has Amassed A Staggering 6 Thousand Nuclear Weapons by MyVILLAGEpeople(m): 7:23pm On Mar 01, 2022
cool

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) ... (16) (Reply)

Streets Of Gambia Crowded As Barrow Returns (Photos) / President Mugabe Sleeping During Donald Trump's UN Speech (Photo) / UAE Relaxes Islamic Laws, Allows Alcohol, Cohabitation Of Unmarried Couples

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 60
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.