Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,161,399 members, 7,846,685 topics. Date: Friday, 31 May 2024 at 09:05 PM

Pre-med/medical Students And Doctors (in Us) Question And Answer Thread? - Education - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Education / Pre-med/medical Students And Doctors (in Us) Question And Answer Thread? (1410 Views)

Medical Students Protest, Lock UNILAG Gate (Photos) / Afe Babalola University Hikes Fees Of Medical Students From 1.7m to 2.6m / Admission Into MED Schools In Nigeria - What You Need To Know (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Pre-med/medical Students And Doctors (in Us) Question And Answer Thread? by PTBNaija(f): 3:32am On Aug 03, 2007
Just wondering if there are pre-med students, medical students, and doctors on Nairaland that wouldn't mind discussing courses, application process, and things to expects when it comes to studying the medical field. It would be great because it could help people answer questions, while explaining things to others. So any questions. . .or anyone willing to participate would be highly appreciated.

In the title it says for those in the U.S., which would be preferable, but anyone is welcome. smiley

P.S. I am not an expert, just a pre-med myself. tongue
Re: Pre-med/medical Students And Doctors (in Us) Question And Answer Thread? by devilmaycy: 7:44am On Aug 03, 2007
Premed student here but going to be a sophomore in college though I know a tremendous amount of information about applying.
Re: Pre-med/medical Students And Doctors (in Us) Question And Answer Thread? by PTBNaija(f): 1:59pm On Aug 03, 2007
devilmaycy:

Premed student here but going to be a sophomore in college though I know a tremendous amount of information about applying.

Really, I'm about to be a sophomore in college as well. I think I have a question now.

Have you started studying for the MCATs yet, because I know someone that wants to start studying for the LSATs now as well. Is it like the SATs where you need to practice and early on?
Re: Pre-med/medical Students And Doctors (in Us) Question And Answer Thread? by devilmaycy: 11:29pm On Aug 03, 2007
a.
Re: Pre-med/medical Students And Doctors (in Us) Question And Answer Thread? by PTBNaija(f): 7:07am On Aug 05, 2007
Hey, thanks for your answer.

Okay, that makes me a little worried. I never took Physics in high school, and won't be taking physics until junior year. Do you plan on taking orgo and physics concurrently?
Re: Pre-med/medical Students And Doctors (in Us) Question And Answer Thread? by devilmaycy: 9:17am On Aug 05, 2007
a
Re: Pre-med/medical Students And Doctors (in Us) Question And Answer Thread? by PTBNaija(f): 9:43am On Aug 05, 2007
Your major requires 21 courses Are you double or triple majoring? Or is it just a really hard major?
Re: Pre-med/medical Students And Doctors (in Us) Question And Answer Thread? by devilmaycy: 2:33pm On Aug 05, 2007
a
Re: Pre-med/medical Students And Doctors (in Us) Question And Answer Thread? by PTBNaija(f): 5:43pm On Aug 05, 2007
I think I posted that around 2:00AM or 3:00AM east coast time lol.

That is a lot of course requirements. . .hmm, I have to check out the requirements of my major lol. I guess I will be doing that soon, the only thing I know is that it requires 8 or 10 classes in that course. I'm majoring in a biology. . .pretty much. But I was thinking of adding a minor or double majoring, but someone said I better plan on being in college for 5 years to do that. Which I cannot add another year to like 10+ years of schooling.

How do you plan on doing both courses at the same time? I took a math and science course together freshman year and I was dying. . .like it was seriously nothing like the AP classes that are supposed to prepare you for college.
Re: Pre-med/medical Students And Doctors (in Us) Question And Answer Thread? by devilmaycy: 9:08pm On Aug 05, 2007
as
Re: Pre-med/medical Students And Doctors (in Us) Question And Answer Thread? by PTBNaija(f): 12:18am On Aug 06, 2007
Oh wow, you had it tough. My school requires 4 classes, but you need to take 5 classes for at least 2 semesters to graduate on time. For my semesters I had:

Semester I

Accelerated Chem (I and II)
Calc (I and II)
Psychology class
Writing Class

Semester II

Microbiology
Biological Anthropology class
Philosophy Seminar
Women's Studies Class

So I guess I had it pretty easy freshman year. Though I will have to step some things up. But I already know what I plan on doing. I think I'm also going to try and get a research job during the school year. . . .and join and really participate in those pre-med things. Whatever, just glad that I finished freshman year because it was definitely a learning experience lol.
Re: Pre-med/medical Students And Doctors (in Us) Question And Answer Thread? by devilmaycy: 2:46am On Aug 06, 2007
Wait you completed chemistry and calculus in one semester- that is really difficult- why did you do that? I also plan to do research. Infact I am going to meet with my professor next semester. I was planning to volunteer at a hospital but it did not work out. I would probably try next semester. Why did you post at 3am- did you just wake up and head to your computer?
Re: Pre-med/medical Students And Doctors (in Us) Question And Answer Thread? by PTBNaija(f): 3:00am On Aug 06, 2007
I went to NY with my family and came back really late/early the next morning lol. Chem and calc. . .yep, had many a sleepless night. . .and overnights at the library lol.

I don't know, I might have to start doing multiple science classes in a semester. But hopefully if I get my study skills back, it will work out for the best.

I also need to start talking to my professors, that was something I started all too late, and they can't help you as much towards the end. I was actually even thinking of getting in contact with the Dean of the Medical School, maybe if I start talking to her now, I will have a better chance? I have spoken to her before, but I never really made it a habit.
Re: Pre-med/medical Students And Doctors (in Us) Question And Answer Thread? by devilmaycy: 4:55am On Aug 06, 2007
Oh I was actually going to meet my professor so that I can discuss about the possibilities of doing research with her. Doing research with a professor can be very useful since the professor you do research with can write you a recommendation letter. I have not done much premed stuff because I am very busy but I have tried to be involved in lots of other activities. I have no plans of doing much next semester since I plan to run a club and also be involved in other activities. I would just do research for the next two years. The most important extracurricular activities are research, volunteering and shadowing. I would start on research next semester and probably start clinical volunteering in January.
Re: Pre-med/medical Students And Doctors (in Us) Question And Answer Thread? by PTBNaija(f): 4:57pm On Aug 06, 2007
Yeah, but I need to boost my activities. Hopefully that will give me a better leg up. I guess I will ask my bio teacher next semester if I can do research with her. But I don't know, it's not that high up of a bio class. It's about AIDS and other Emerging Diseases, so I'm not quite sure if she's really involved in the research with that in particular. Would you recommend doing research every year with the same professor then? Because that would seem like a good idea. . .even though that professor in particular would not be involved in my major?
Re: Pre-med/medical Students And Doctors (in Us) Question And Answer Thread? by PTBNaija(f): 2:37pm On Aug 07, 2007
So I was cleaning my room, and found some notes I had taken for this pre-med student lecture thing. . .thought it would be helpful for anyone looking at this thread.

What does it take to be a successful applicant?

[list]
[li]Demonstrated ability in the sciences[/li]
[li]Intellectual curiosity and focus[/li]
[li]Evidence of altruism and significant service[/li]
[li]Knowledge of the profession and motivation[/li]
[li]Sense of integrity, responsibility, and professionalism.[/li]
[/list]

They also gave the academic performance of students from my school that were accepted into medical school. . .

Mean GPA: 3.53
Mean Science GPA: 3.39

Mean MCAT scores:

[list]
[li]Verbal: 10.6[/li]
[li]Physical Science: 11.3[/li]
[li]Biological Science: 11.2[/li]
[li]Writing Sample: Q[/li]
[/list]

Course Requirements:

[list]
[li]2 semesters of English[/li]
[li]4 Semesters of Chemistry with lab[/li]
[li]2 semesters of Physics with lab[/li]
[li]2 semesters minimum of biology with lab[/li]
[/list]
Re: Pre-med/medical Students And Doctors (in Us) Question And Answer Thread? by oasis231(m): 5:39pm On Aug 07, 2007
Hi,

West Coast University is offering admission for prospective students into professional courses.
You can check for more information on the school’s website at: www.westcoastuniversitynigeria-edu.org

All the best.
Re: Pre-med/medical Students And Doctors (in Us) Question And Answer Thread? by devilmaycy: 6:08am On Aug 13, 2007
a
Re: Pre-med/medical Students And Doctors (in Us) Question And Answer Thread? by PTBNaija(f): 6:30am On Aug 14, 2007
Don't worry, it's cool. I actually should be getting ready as well. School starts in like two weeks!!! LOL

Well I just called about a paid research job. . .hopefully I get it.

How have you been preparing for school?
Re: Pre-med/medical Students And Doctors (in Us) Question And Answer Thread? by devilmaycy: 8:39pm On Aug 14, 2007
a
Re: Pre-med/medical Students And Doctors (in Us) Question And Answer Thread? by PTBNaija(f): 2:14pm On Aug 15, 2007
Oh I get it. . .yeah I need to buy my textbooks as well but for some reason, the lists haven't been put out yet.
Re: Pre-med/medical Students And Doctors (in Us) Question And Answer Thread? by omonija1(f): 9:34pm On Jun 11, 2010
Any more premeds here??

(1) (Reply)

Waec 2010 English Obj With Text Of Orals / Unical And Direct Entry / When Will Uniuyo Post Utme 2013/2014 Second Choice Registration Start?

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 29
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.