Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,155,767 members, 7,827,843 topics. Date: Tuesday, 14 May 2024 at 05:45 PM

Ghetto - Culture - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Culture / Ghetto (1807 Views)

Is African Culture Becoming Ghetto Culture? / Nigerian Ghetto Names / What's Wrong With "ghetto" Black Names? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Ghetto by westsidema(f): 1:48pm On Aug 03, 2007
ok i want to know what its like to live in the ghetto. if you live in a ghetto, or lived in a ghetto, tell us what life was like and stuff.
is it as "glamorous" as they make it in movies and music videos?
do you have 40kids in your classroom, with everyone constantly talking and fighting, rather than learn?
are you, or were you on foodstamps? do you use your food stamps to buy sneakers?
do you live in an apartment or trailer?
basically describe your day to day life. try not to sugar coat it, this is an anonymous messageboard, there is no reason to worry about what others might think.

realistically how would you like your lifestyle to change in the immediate future?

ready, set, discuss.
Re: Ghetto by WesleyanA(f): 10:17pm On Aug 03, 2007
i don't live in a ghetto but i've witnessed an armed robbery (something i used to think only exists in Nigeria) though and i go through the ghetto when i go to places.
and i know a couple of people who live in the ghetto neighborhood as well as those who live in the suburban neighborhood.
where i live is average. not too bad, not too great.

it's not glamorous. hollywood like to glamorize bad things like violence and crime but let's take our heads out of the clouds and come to reality for a sec.
the schools are BAD with very low graduation rate. pregnancies (even in middle school), drugs etc the teachers really aren't that qualified and the kids are slow too so pretty much what you learn can't be comparable with the good schools.
i attended a ghetto middle school (i didn't learn a thing. and the teachers thought that i was a genius undecided) and an ok high school (where i learned a lot and became an average student among really talented kids). the difference was clear. lol

you can't use food stamps to buy sneakers (except maybe on black market)
the average person on food stamps receives $3 per day and you really can't live healthy on this. a lot of people spend the money on junk food that's much cheaper but very unhealthy undecided
many of them also live in the moment (waste money on cars, clothes, sneakers and useless flashy things) and probably don't worry as much about the future. they live from "day to day" in other words or "keepin' it real"
not that they don't think about the future. many of them actually have dreams but realizing those dreams are very difficult.
oh yeah, it's also quite common to see teenagers or young adults wearing "R.I.P LeShaun," or any generic spray painted "RIP ____" tee-shirts. it means one of their friends just died from a drive by shooting or by the police or something like that.
it's sad and i pray sometimes to God why such thing exist in the world. i don't get it.

(i'm not an expert on this so don't cite me. j/k) hopefully, someone who's part of the ghetto can come share experiences.
Re: Ghetto by omoge(f): 1:07am On Aug 04, 2007
very interesting. 2years ago, i forgot signing the returning student form. i had to move out of the college housing starting of fall. no where to go. i made a last minute decision to stay with a good friend of mine. she has a home in the ghetto. she lives there alone and doing her PHD. she bought the place on auction. a very fine house that in its glorious days was a mansion where those railway and printer family lives with their slaves. huge pillars and everythings. everything inside it were new and latest, but you could tell from the stone structure and huge pillar that it's a very old home. but then night fall was so bad. there will be shooting around. i had no choice than to stay there that semester while i prep to move back to the dorms. I paid to live there so it's not free.

driving to school was so scary. i don't go out once i come in. on the days when i have a 8-10pm classes i stay in the library all-night-cafe. goodness, it's not an easy place to live. i won't ever forget. i respect those who lives there. well the houses are so cheap. you will see them in flashy cars and nice clothes, hairdos and shoes. my friend's sister came on a visit and had a PTS because of the shooting trauma she experienced. the stores around there aren't well taken care of. nobody cares that much. those that works there have a very unpleasant attitude oh well, it's alright.

this place are all homes (glorious during its heyday). i was told some people will buy it in auction then rent it out to about 10 people most are drug dealers at night. no apartment just old home built in the 20's. some of the ladies there don't work but on welfare. they look young and healthy and i don't know why they just go on welfare. the one i know got 4 kids and doesn't work or go to school. on pavements i always see broken bottles and wonder what went on there.
well, i left and moved back to the dorms at the end of the semester. i was relieved and thank God.
Re: Ghetto by westsidema(f): 9:13am On Aug 04, 2007
aww

well some ppl also live too in a ghetto place and they move to a new side. i can remember we live in a ghetto side in eastside of Nigeria and i can't come out anyhow i like. i associate with some friends. some are bad, some are good. so i try to avoid the bad ones. but im alright. is like yea u repp ur side. but im now in philippines and i dont want to be associating with too many ppl. am on my own.
Re: Ghetto by YOUNGDICEs(m): 4:39pm On Aug 07, 2007
gun shot boom up in the air all the time,crackheads always rolling down the street,you on ya bike with a 50 cent drink in ya hand,waving duces to err young boy you see,getting money,always heart beat when you see the cops,always wana rob whoever is weaker then you,now that's where i call the ghetto amin the jungle cuz we all animals out there nyc.
Re: Ghetto by naijadiva2(f): 4:41pm On Aug 07, 2007
ny is stupid, no offense.
Re: Ghetto by princesa(f): 11:46am On May 30, 2008
too bad i couldnt read those long letters grin
Re: Ghetto by Leilah(f): 1:00pm On Jun 02, 2008
I lived in a ghetto in the US before (3 months). Its gloomy and weird not to mention to deprivation/lack of education etc. Personally I wouldn't live there and I seldom went out at night. The good thing for me was at that time I was practising islam and wore all the coverings so I was often greeted by the residents who liked me for that. I often heard gunshots and there were frequent killings. Cars often got hijacked at traffic lights. My ex husband was from the most notorious part of Chicago, Cabrini Green its called. I had my time there in US and I can say I dont fancy going back.
Re: Ghetto by Blatant: 1:19pm On Jun 02, 2008
Leilah, is that really your photograph?
Re: Ghetto by Leilah(f): 11:56pm On Jun 05, 2008
Yes it is a recent picture why?

I dress in clothes now actually for the last four years. My choice.
Re: Ghetto by tRoOE(f): 4:32am On Jun 06, 2008
Nope have never live in a ghetto, but have visited some places like that in Naija I never judge them because it circumstances that put them in that position.

America Ghetto is crazy, you feel like people are staring at you especially when you are not familiar with that type of environment.
The looks on those drug dealers are scary.
Their houses have no windows, or door
People broke into your cars, houses e.c.t
The whole ghetto houses does not look healthy
So many atrocities are committed there, and to forget the high crime rate
Re: Ghetto by ifyalways(f): 1:38pm On Jun 06, 2008
Mushin olosha cheesy
Re: Ghetto by Emkayotis(m): 3:56am On Jun 07, 2008
Gashare Street, kakuri kaduna, bad road, constant power failure and shit happens!
Re: Ghetto by baby4u2(f): 7:34am On Jun 07, 2008
lol. moshin olosha, thats funny. Ajegunle is a ghetto too right?
Re: Ghetto by KOLIEBUDZ(m): 7:26pm On Jun 08, 2008
The slum over here in philly is like evrybody on their own,is like u do u and umma do me,but make the wrong move you get hurt.jah bless, real talk
Re: Ghetto by EXPONENT(m): 6:56pm On Jun 11, 2008
let's see,

Most of the ghetto dwellers have:

In door Plumbing
Hardwood floors or carpeting
AIR CONDITIONING
CABLE T.V.
FREE GOVERNMENT FOOD
FREE FOOD PANTRYS ALL OVER THE PLACE
Ability to get Free clothing and Furniture from the Bougeois
Rent subsidies
etc., etc.

Some neighborhoods are crummy, violent, dangerous - but MOST are being re-gentrified with whites moving in rapidly.

Not the best but, It's still a WHOLE LOT BETTER than 4BILLION people on this planet.
Re: Ghetto by ikamefa(f): 8:15pm On Jun 11, 2008
lived in the ghetto!

ifyalways:

Mushin olosha cheesy

yeah you know it! " grin "

gun shots  @ anytime T, arm robbery, flooding when it rained, no water or electricity for eons on end  " grin "

loved it though! would not exchange that experience for anything

my take is if you can survive mushin olosha lagos- state, you can survive anything life throws at you!  wink
Re: Ghetto by EXPONENT(m): 10:54pm On Jun 11, 2008
yeah you know it! " "

gun shots @ anytime T, arm robbery, flooding when it rained, no water or electricity for eons on end " "

loved it though! would not exchange that experience for anything

my take is if you can survive mushin olosha lagos- state, you can survive anything life throws at you!

^^^^^^

That's not Ghetto - THAT'S A SLUM!
Re: Ghetto by ikamefa(f): 8:13pm On Jun 12, 2008
EXPONENT:

^^^^^^

" grin " slum abi? call it a Gutter sef! cheesy grin cheesy grin cheesy grin

we thank God!
Re: Ghetto by Hero(m): 1:45am On Jun 13, 2008
EXPONENT:

^^^^^^

Werd, a damn Shanty Town. cheesy
Re: Ghetto by sunnykiss(m): 3:05pm On Jun 23, 2008
hey Ajegunle is the Ghettoiest Ghetto in Naija ok

but thank God we are representing more than any other , great stars, come from there
grin

(1) (Reply)

The World Will End In 2060? / Gudit - A Violent African Queen / The Body Part You Wash First While Bathing Reveals A Lot About You

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 36
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.