Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,868 members, 7,817,563 topics. Date: Saturday, 04 May 2024 at 02:27 PM

Is African Culture Becoming Ghetto Culture? - Culture - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Culture / Is African Culture Becoming Ghetto Culture? (13918 Views)

African Culture Is Dying! / How Prominent Is African History/cultures In Primary(and Up) Schools / Western Culture Vs African Culture (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (Reply) (Go Down)

Is African Culture Becoming Ghetto Culture? by pleep(m): 6:23pm On Feb 21, 2011
1. All we produce is rap music

2. We started calling each other 'Niga'

3. we sag our pants

4. we curse alot

do you guys think that africans are copying the negatives of Hip/hop culture?
Re: Is African Culture Becoming Ghetto Culture? by PhysicsMHD(m): 7:52pm On Feb 23, 2011
pleep:

1. all we produce is rap music

2. We started calling each other 'Niga'

3. we sag our pants

4. we curse alot

do you guys think that us africans are copying the negatives Hip/ hop culture?

Who, where and when? If so, then you might be right.

@ 1 & 3, no
Re: Is African Culture Becoming Ghetto Culture? by Rgp92: 6:52pm On Jul 20, 2012
Africans living in Africa dont call eachothers nigga or sag. Cursing have always been a way of life, long before rap music.

3 Likes

Re: Is African Culture Becoming Ghetto Culture? by anonymous6(f): 7:53pm On Jul 20, 2012
Rgp92: Africans living in Africa dont call eachothers nigga or sag. Cursing have always been a way of life, long before rap music.

Cosign 100%

1 Like

Re: Is African Culture Becoming Ghetto Culture? by PAGAN9JA(m): 10:32pm On Jul 20, 2012
there are many good AFrican singers. all my favourites come from the North west (Mali especially).
Re: Is African Culture Becoming Ghetto Culture? by Blyss: 6:20am On Jul 21, 2012
There's no such thing as Ghetto culture.

1 Like

Re: Is African Culture Becoming Ghetto Culture? by pleep(m): 7:10pm On Jul 26, 2012
Lol, I made this topic soooooo long ago grin

Suuuuuuper BUMP!
Re: Is African Culture Becoming Ghetto Culture? by Blyss: 3:44am On Jul 27, 2012
PhysicsQED:

Africans in Africa don't seriously ever call each other "nigga" besides a few of those actually living in the West, where they've adopted that from some of the locals or the media. Even among African musicians that imitate or attempt Western musical genres like rap the use of the word "nigga" is quite rare.

I once came across an image of it being used by a poor African shop keeper somewhere who tried to use the word on a sign on his store in the "cool" way that rappers in America do but instead failed terribly at it. I can't remember what country it was right now but I think it was in central Africa.

Tanzania.
Re: Is African Culture Becoming Ghetto Culture? by pleep(m): 4:17am On Jul 27, 2012
@ mrs chima Nigga and Nigger are two very different words.

But that is not the only point addressed in this topic, you guys cant deny that Africa imitates many facets of hip-hop culture. Most of which i think are negative.
Re: Is African Culture Becoming Ghetto Culture? by Nobody: 4:22am On Jul 27, 2012
pleep: @ mrs chima Nigga and Nigger are two very different words.

But that is not the only point addressed in this topic, you cant deny that Africa imitates many facets of hip-hop culture. Most of which i think are negative.

For realz, when I first saw a few of your posts (before I saw your PP) I thought you were smart. Obviously, long azz epistle is not a good judge of character.

Stop with your ignorance. . . . how's nigger and nigga different? They hold the same connotation, just spelled different.
It's like calling a fat girl Phat.
Re: Is African Culture Becoming Ghetto Culture? by r231(m): 4:23am On Jul 27, 2012
Re: Is African Culture Becoming Ghetto Culture? by Nobody: 4:24am On Jul 27, 2012
Copy the url (link), paste it on NL.

1 Like

Re: Is African Culture Becoming Ghetto Culture? by pleep(m): 4:36am On Jul 27, 2012
Ileke-IdI:

For realz, when I first saw a few of your posts (before I saw your PP) I thought you were smart. Obviously, long azz epistle is not a good judge of character.

Stop with your ignorance. . . . how's nigger and nigga different? They hold the same connotation, just spelled different.
It's like calling a fat girl Phat.
Nigga is often used as a term of endearment, i am ashamed to admit i use the term with my brother and other black males.
Nigger is simply the white pronunciation of this word, usually used as a racial slur.

likewise, Phat and fat are also different. Phat refers to a curvaceous female while fat refers to obesity. But of course, there is some overlap with both words.

BTW. whats with all the personal attacks
Re: Is African Culture Becoming Ghetto Culture? by Nobody: 4:40am On Jul 27, 2012
pleep: Nigga is often used as a term of endearment, i am ashamed to admit i use the term with my brother and other black males. Nigger is simply the white pronunciation of this word, usually used as a racial slur.
likewise, Phat and fat are also different. Phat refers to a curvaceous female, while fat refers to obesity. but, of course there is some overlap with both words.

BTW. whats with all the personal attacks

LMAO @Nigga is used as an endearment. Duuuuuude. . . .. .just stop.
You know that even fatazz women calls themselves phat and wants to be called phat too right? Twisting spelling of words does not decrease the degree of it's meaning.

Personal attacks? undecided
Re: Is African Culture Becoming Ghetto Culture? by antitpiah: 4:43am On Jul 27, 2012
Rgp92: Africans living in Africa dont call eachothers nigga or sag. Cursing have always been a way of life, long before rap music.

Take a trip to Lagos, and then rethink your claim

2 Likes

Re: Is African Culture Becoming Ghetto Culture? by antitpiah: 4:45am On Jul 27, 2012
@Ileke-idi, why did you like my post? grin
Re: Is African Culture Becoming Ghetto Culture? by pleep(m): 4:45am On Jul 27, 2012
Ileke-IdI:

LMAO @Nigga is used as an endearment. Duuuuuude. . . .. .just stop.
You know that even fatazz women calls themselves phat and wants to be called phat too right? Twisting spelling of words does not decrease the degree of it's meaning.

Personal attacks? undecided
Well seeing as i am an 18 yr old black male born and raised in the united states while you were not even born here, i think my claim carries more weight.

No offense.
Re: Is African Culture Becoming Ghetto Culture? by pleep(m): 4:45am On Jul 27, 2012
antitpiah: @Ileke-idi, why did you like my post? grin
that was me foo grin
Re: Is African Culture Becoming Ghetto Culture? by Nobody: 4:46am On Jul 27, 2012
pleep: Well seeing as i am an 18 yr old black male born and raised in the united states, and you were not even born here, i think my claim carries more weight.

No wonder!

I have to be born in the USA to know the history behind nigga/nigger?
Re: Is African Culture Becoming Ghetto Culture? by antitpiah: 4:47am On Jul 27, 2012
pleep: that was me foo grin

grin grin grin grin grin

I guessed wrong.
Re: Is African Culture Becoming Ghetto Culture? by pleep(m): 4:48am On Jul 27, 2012
Ileke-IdI:

No wonder!

I have to be born in the USA to know the history behind nigga/nigger?
Apparently.
Re: Is African Culture Becoming Ghetto Culture? by Nobody: 4:49am On Jul 27, 2012
pleep: Apparently.

Chaii, I've been conversing with a kid all these while. O ma se.
Next time a white man calls you, nigga, say "Thank you, master".
Re: Is African Culture Becoming Ghetto Culture? by pleep(m): 4:53am On Jul 27, 2012
Ileke-IdI:

Chaii, I've been conversing with a kid all these while. O ma se.
Next time a white man calls you, nigga, say "Thank you, master".
Did you not know my age previously? And no, it is different when a white person says it.

If you don't believe me, blyss will tell you.
Re: Is African Culture Becoming Ghetto Culture? by Nobody: 4:55am On Jul 27, 2012
pleep: Did you not know my age previously? And no, it is different when a white person says it.

If you don't believe me, blyss will tell you.

LOL the white man gave you nigger, so it's okay to call yourselves ngga? undecided

Anywaz. . . .
Re: Is African Culture Becoming Ghetto Culture? by pleep(m): 4:56am On Jul 27, 2012
I didn't say it was a good thing, but its something we do.

I consider it a bad habit.
Re: Is African Culture Becoming Ghetto Culture? by Nobody: 4:58am On Jul 27, 2012
pleep: I didn't say it was a good thing, but its something we do.

I consider it a bad habit.

If it's not a good thing, then why see it as an endearment?
It's like calling your wife byyytch and calling your son ba[i]sta[/i]rd.
Re: Is African Culture Becoming Ghetto Culture? by Nobody: 5:00am On Jul 27, 2012
Anywaz,still got this bad headache.
Off to the health center tomorrow.
NL will not kill pesin undecided
Re: Is African Culture Becoming Ghetto Culture? by SmoothCrim: 5:11am On Jul 27, 2012
Nigga please!!! shocked shocked shocked shocked

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (Reply)

Rare Yoruba Gods / Orishaa / Oriki Of All Towns In Ekiti State / Which Tribe Has The Most Beautiful Women And Handsome Men?

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 31
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.