Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,159 members, 7,818,525 topics. Date: Sunday, 05 May 2024 at 05:55 PM

Why Islam Say Kill Infidels - Religion - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Religion / Why Islam Say Kill Infidels (6410 Views)

10 Things Muslims Don't Want 'Infidels' Knowing About Islam / Does Islam Say "Kill The Infidels"? / Islamic State Using Dolls To Train children How To Behead Infidels (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Why Islam Say Kill Infidels by bilms(m): 5:45pm On Jun 30, 2011
Does Islam Preach That Infidels Be Killed?

Question

I am a typical American who does not know anyone who happens to follow Islam. I, like many others, hear and read many ideas - with no way to know what is truth and what is myth.

I have thought about just walking in to a Mosque – but, I have to admit I do feel more than a bit intimidated.

So, I thought I would ask my questions here.

After 9/11 it has been said in many articles that the Koran/Islam does promote the idea that infidels (people who do not accept Allah) should be killed. Is this true? The latest article I read (it came over the Internet) tells the following story which I copied and pasted below. While I don't know if the story is true, are the details accurate?

"Last month I attended my annual training session that's required for maintaining my state prison security clearance. During the training session there was a presentation by three speakers representing the Roman Catholic, Protestant and Muslim faiths, who explained each of their belief systems.

I was particularly interested in what the Islamic Imam had to say. The Imam gave a great presentation of the basics of Islam, complete with a video. After the presentations, time was provided for questions and answers.

When it was my turn, I directed my question to the Imam and asked: "Please, correct me if I'm wrong, but I understand that most Imams and clerics of Islam have declared a holy jihad [Holy war] against the infidels of the world. And, that by killing an infidel, which is a command to all Muslims, they are assured of a place in heaven. If that's the case, can you give me the definition of an infidel?"

There was no disagreement with my statements and, without hesitation, he replied, "Non-believers!"

I responded, "So, let me make sure I have this straight. All followers of Allah have been commanded to kill everyone who is not of your faith so they can go to Heaven. Is that correct?"

The expression on his face changed from one of authority and command to that of a little boy who had just gotten caught with his hand in the cookie jar. He sheepishly replied, "Yes."

I then stated, "Well, sir, I have a real problem trying to imagine Pope John Paul commanding all Catholics to kill those of your faith or Dr.Stanley ordering Protestants to do the same in order to go to Heaven!"

The Imam was speechless.

I continued, "I also have problem with being your friend when you and your brother clerics are telling your followers to kill me. Let me ask you a question. Would you rather have your Allah who tells you to kill me in order to go to Heaven or my Jesus who tells me to love you because I am going to Heaven and He wants you to be with me?"

You could have heard a pin drop as the Imam hung his head in shame.

Needless to say, the organizers and/or promoters of the 'Diversification' training seminar were not happy with Rick's way of dealing with the Islamic Imam and exposing the truth about the Muslim's beliefs."

In America, where the ideal citizen is the one who accepts and/or promotes tolerance, diversity and freedom of thought, is it accurate to say that Islam does not promote these values?

If these thoughts are misguided, could you please set me straight? Thank you for your time. Here is the story that came in e-mail (Is it correct or should I be outraged that someone has defamed your religion?)
Response

I commend the effort that you have undertaken in order to find the real story. However I think to understand what exactly Islam is, you should try to study Quran yourself. The reason is the fact that what Muslims exhibit does not necessarily elaborate what Islam preaches. I can also understand the fear of walking into a mosque. I just hope that this world becomes a better place for all.

You wrote:
After 9/11 it has been said in many articles that the Koran/Islam does promote the idea that infidels (people who do not accept Allah) should be killed. Is this true?

I am of the opinion that this is a misunderstood interpretation amongst Muslims and non-Muslims alike. For instance, the other parts of Quran, which talk about religious freedom and honoring lives of other souls are completely ignored both by Muslims and non-Muslims when understanding Quranic teachings on the subject matter.

You quoted,
"Please, correct me if I'm wrong, but I understand that most Imams and clerics of Islam have declared a holy jihad [Holy war] against the infidels of the world. And, that by killing an infidel, which is a command to all Muslims, they are assured of a place in heaven."

It is unfortunate that the actions of Muslims have often been thought of as what Islam itself is. What a group of Muslims does is not what Islam necessarily preaches. Islam should be understood by the doctrines it preaches, which are contained in Quran.

Islam is against killing of a single soul without justice; it completely detests killing innocent people whether they be Muslims or otherwise. Quran has addressed this thus,
, مَن قَتَلَ نَفْسًا بِغَيْرِ نَفْسٍ أَوْ فَسَادٍ فِي الأَرْضِ فَكَأَنَّمَا قَتَلَ النَّاسَ جَمِيعًا وَمَنْ أَحْيَاهَا فَكَأَنَّمَا أَحْيَا النَّاسَ جَمِيعًا ,
, whoever slays a soul, unless it be for murder or for mischief in the land, it is as though he slew entire mankind; and whoever keeps it alive, it is as though he kept entire mankind alive; , (Quran 5:32)

With respect to infidels, my belief is that this word is a synonym for the word 'Kaafir' in Quran with respect to the question under discussion. If that is the case, it needs to be said that non-believers who live in the age of messengers of God are a different class and category than non-believers otherwise. It is for this reason that in the history of mankind, whenever a messenger of God came to a nation, he proved his messenger ship clearly and plainly to his nation so much so that they had no confusion about him being a bearer of truth. As a result, those people who, after having known the truth, still denied the messenger were passed on a judgment in this world by the Almighty. In case of polytheists, this judgment was in form of their annihilation, for example the great flood on Noah (pbuh)'s nation when those who rejected his message were drowned. A similar fate was decided by the Almighty on the people of Lot (pbuh), Abraham (pbuh), Salih (pbuh) and other messengers.

It needs to be understood in this context that at the end of the mission of Muhammad (pbuh) when God, in his absolute Knowledge, knew that those who were rejecting faith were not rejecting because they had any confusion with regards to it, rather they were rejecting out of mere arrogance and pride, He commanded Muslims to slay down those 'infidels' from amongst the polytheists. The Jews and Christians, on the other hand, because they belonged to monotheistic faith, were to be fought against until they became politically subservient to Muslims. This was done after providing both the idolaters and the people of the Book (Jews and Christians) sufficient time to understand whether Muhammad (pbuh) was a real messenger of God and the message he brought forward was actually the message from God.

This is God's law specific to messengers as I have explained above. Since a messenger of God is not living with us anymore, and we do not know that which is in the hearts of people, we cannot call them 'infidels' and commit such acts. In a time such as today, every soul must continue to strive to find the truth and live by it.

You asked,
In America, where the ideal citizen is the one who accepts and/or promotes tolerance, diversity and freedom of thought, is it accurate to say that Islam does not promote these values?

I hope I have already clarified the issue. There is no doubt that Islam only supports peace and tolerance, and does not oppose freedom of thought.
Re: Why Islam Say Kill Infidels by NegroNtns(m): 12:38am On Jul 01, 2011
I'm excited that I'm the first respondent to your question here.

Before you walk in to a mosque or go any further with your inquiry, I advise that you first get a Quran with English translation and read it from cover to cover.

You may have to read a second time over to get clearer understanding to some issues the first reading might arouse in your mind.

After that then you should go to a mosque or even come back here for better clarification.
Re: Why Islam Say Kill Infidels by LagosShia: 7:35pm On Jul 01, 2011
i dont agree with the answer given in the last part of the reply to the question and narration of the person enquiring about islam.the muslim responding totally forgets that the Quran states that "there is no compulsion in religion" (2:256) and he also forgets that the Quran also wherever "infidels" are spoken against,are those infidels that have declared war on muslims.in other verses God tells us that He does not forbid us from being kind to those who have no enmity towards us and also we should only fight those who fight us because He does not like aggressors.i believe the below answer given to the same question is better explained with more verses as evidence from the Holy Quran:

[size=18pt]Aren't there some verses of the Qur'an that condone "killing the infidel"? [/size]
By Huda, About.com Guide

Question: Aren't there some verses of the Qur'an that condone "killing the infidel"?
Answer: The Qur'an commands Muslims to stick up for themselves in a defensive battle -- i.e. if an enemy army attacks, then Muslims are to fight against that army until they stop their aggression. All of the verses that speak about fighting/war in the Qur'an are in this context.
There are some specific verses that are very often "snipped" out of context, either by critics of Islam discussing "jihadism," or by misguided Muslims themselves who wish to justify their aggressive tactics.

"Slay Them" - If They Attack You First
For example, one verse (in its snipped version) reads: "slay them wherever you catch them" (Qur'an 2:191). But who is this referring to? Who are "they" that this verse discusses? The preceding and following verses give the correct context:
"Fight in the cause of God those who fight you, but do not transgress limits; for God loves not transgressors. And slay them wherever you catch them, and turn them out from where they have turned you out; for tumult and oppression are worse than slaughter, But if they cease, God is Oft-forgiving, Most Merciful, If they cease, let there be no hostility except to those who practice oppression" (2:190-193).
It is clear from the context that these verses are discussing a defensive war, when a Muslim community is attacked without reason, oppressed and prevented from practicing their faith. In these circumstances, permission is given to fight back -- but even then Muslims are instructed not to transgress limits, and to cease fighting as soon as the attacker gives up. Even in these circumstances, Muslim are only to fight directly against those who are attacking them, not innocent bystanders or non-combatants.

"Fight the Pagans" - If They Break Treaties
A similar verse can be found in chapter 9, verse 5 -- which in its snipped, out of context version could read: "fight and slay the pagans wherever ye find them, and seize them, beleaguer them, and lie in wait for them in every stratagem (of war)." Again, the preceding and following verses give the context.
This verse was revealed during a historical period when the small Muslim community had entered into treaties with neighboring tribes (Jewish, Christian, and pagan). Several of the pagan tribes had violated the terms of their treaty, secretly aiding an enemy attack against the Muslim community. The verse directly before this one instructs the Muslims to continue to honor treaties with anyone who has not since betrayed them, because fulfilling agreements is considered a righteous action. Then the verse continues, that those who have violated the terms of the treaty have declared war, so fight them, (as quoted above).

Directly after this permission to fight, the same verse continues, "but if they repent, and establish regular prayers and practice regular charity, then open the way for them, for God is Oft-forgiving, Most Merciful." The subsequent verses instruct the Muslims to grant asylum to any member of the pagan tribe/army who asks for it, and again reminds that "as long as these stand true to you, stand ye true to them: for God loves the righteous."

Conclusion
Any verse that is quoted out of context misses the whole point of the message of the Qur'an. Nowhere in the Qur'an can be found support for indiscriminate slaughter, the killing of non-combatants, or murder of innocent persons in 'payback' for another people's alleged crimes.
The Islamic teachings on this subject can be summed up in the following verses (Qur'an 60:7-cool:
"It may be that God will grant love (and friendship) between you and those whom ye (now) hold as enemies. For God has power (over all things), and God is Oft-Forgiving, Most Merciful.
God does not forbid you, with regard to those who fight you not for (your) faith nor drive you out of your homes, from dealing kindly and justly with them: for God loves those who are just."

http://islam.about.com/od/terrorism/f/terrorism_verse.htm

Re: Why Islam Say Kill Infidels by satani22: 10:51pm On Jul 01, 2011
Beautiful. This means the world could still be a safe haven afterall. From what the koran states, its clear that muslims are permitted regimented retaliatory attack. If the sponsors of 9/11 are indeed muslims they were misguided in Nigerians that had nothing to do with their war with America.
Re: Why Islam Say Kill Infidels by Sweetnecta: 11:31pm On Jul 01, 2011
but the word infidel has no equivalent in arabic.the english koran is not the Quran. Quran is n arabic.

finally, you find the word infidel in the bible. what does it mean in the bible?
Re: Why Islam Say Kill Infidels by Adamuenero(m): 11:17am On Jul 02, 2011
For those of you defending the messages of the koran about not preaching violence and disunity among the human race,that is a lie and you should be the one to go read it over and over again. It contains erroneous science contradictions,illogical,unethical and Allah's myriads of inanities and flaws.

1 Like

Re: Why Islam Say Kill Infidels by LagosShia: 12:56pm On Jul 02, 2011
Adamuenero:

For those of you defending the messages of the koran about not preaching violence and disunity among the human race,that is a lie and you should be the one to go read it over and over again. It contains erroneous science contradictions,illogical,unethical and Allah's myriads of inanities and flaws.
the manner in which you express yourself is far from being logical,scientific or ethical.so you can never appreciate those qualities when you see them.

Luke 12:49
"I have come to bring fire on the earth, and how I wish it were already kindled!

John 2:15
[Jesus] made a whip out of cords, and drove all from the temple area, both sheep and cattle; he scattered the coins of the money changers and overturned their tables.

Matthew 10:34
"Do not suppose that I have come to bring peace to the earth. I did not come to bring peace, but a sword."

Luke 22:36,38
[Jesus] said to them, "But now if you have a purse, take it, and also a bag; and if you don't have a sword, sell your cloak and buy one, " The disciples said, "See, Lord, here are two swords."  "That is enough," he replied.

Luke 12:50-53
50 But I have a baptsm to undergo, and what constraint I am under until it is completed! 51 Do you think I came to bring peace on earth? No, I tell you, but division. 52 From now on there will be five in one family divided against each other, three against two and two against three. 53 They will be divided, father against son and son against father, mother against daughter and daughter against mother, mother-in-law against daughter-in-law and daughter-in-law against mother-in-law.”

Matthew 10:35
35 For I have come to turn   “‘a man against his father, a daughter against her mother, a daughter-in-law against her mother-in-law—

Psalms 137:8-9
8 O Babylon, you will be destroyed.
Happy is the one who pays you back
for what you have done to us.
9 Happy is the one who takes your babies
and smashes them against the rocks!

Psalms 139:19-22:
"Surely thou wilt slay the wicked, O God: Depart from me therefore, ye bloodthirsty men. For they speak against thee wickedly, And thine enemies take (thy name) in vain. Do not I hate them, O Jehovah, that hate thee? And am not I grieved with those that rise up against thee? I hate them with perfect hatred: They are become mine enemies."
Re: Why Islam Say Kill Infidels by Nobody: 1:37pm On Jul 02, 2011
Islam is just PLAIN WRONG and FALSE, or are we going to continue to OVER FLOG this DEAD HORSE and RELIGION called ISLAM

Come out of this darkness and into the LIGHT of JESUS CHRIST.!!!

2 Likes

Re: Why Islam Say Kill Infidels by LagosShia: 2:02pm On Jul 02, 2011
frosbel:

Islam is just PLAIN WRONG and FALSE, or are we going to continue to OVER FLOG this DEAD HORSE and RELIGION called ISLAM

Come out of this darkness and into the LIGHT of JESUS CHRIST.!!!

if you cannot make any useful contribution in the thread,then Sharrap!
Re: Why Islam Say Kill Infidels by gaddafe(m): 6:29pm On Jul 02, 2011
I appreciate the contribution posted by LagosShia. But you are not wiser than all the Islamic Scholars in Iraq, Pakistan Northern Nigeria, etc who believe by their action not by their words that Islam preaches violence.

I have met many Muslims especially from Northern Nigeria who tells me pointblank that it is a sin for you not to fight when you hear that your brothers(Muslims) are fighting against the non Muslims.

However, something i observed is that the teachings of Islam by Northern Nigeria is totally different from the one of Southern Nigeria. I don't know why. This is the reason you observe that it is difficult to witness such religious crisis in the South.

The contribution posted by LagosShia, I have heard it before by Muslims in South when they were trying to defend the fact that Islam was not a violent religion. actually the person who preached to us on that day did a good job and ended up converting my friend to a Muslim

But the fact remains. Action speaks louder than voice. With what we see everyday all around us Islam is a very violent religion. I urge every christian to keep their distance from them especially when you find yourself in somewhere like the Northern part of Nigeria. OBEDIENCE IS BETTER THAN SACRIFICE!!!

1 Like

Re: Why Islam Say Kill Infidels by LagosShia: 11:32am On Jul 03, 2011
gaddafe:

I appreciate the contribution posted by LagosShia. But you are not wiser than all the Islamic Scholars in Iraq, Pakistan Northern Nigeria, etc who believe by their action not by their words that Islam preaches violence.

I have met many Muslims especially from Northern Nigeria who tells me pointblank that it is a sin for you not to fight when you hear that your brothers(Muslims) are fighting against the non Muslims.

However, something i observed is that the teachings of Islam by Northern Nigeria is totally different from the one of Southern Nigeria. I don't know why. This is the reason you observe that it is difficult to witness such religious crisis in the South.

The contribution posted by LagosShia, I have heard it before by Muslims in South when they were trying to defend the fact that Islam was not a violent religion. actually the person who preached to us on that day did a good job and ended up converting my friend to a Muslim

But the fact remains. Action speaks louder than voice. With what we see everyday all around us Islam is a very violent religion. I urge every christian to keep their distance from them especially when you find yourself in somewhere like the Northern part of Nigeria. OBEDIENCE IS BETTER THAN SACRIFICE!!!

so why must you believe that those who are violent without any basis are the ones representing islam and those who are not violent and have presented evidence from the Quran to prove your claim wrong that islam is violent,do not represent islam?how do you pass judgement then?

it obligatory for one muslim to support and fight for his muslim brother,if his muslim brother is oppressed.islam does not teach us to help our muslim brothers to oppress others.
Re: Why Islam Say Kill Infidels by Teaser4(m): 4:28pm On Jul 03, 2011
@lagoshia,afternun bro,may God be with you,i av followed all ur replies,indeed you are a true moslem. Am a xtian,i was born in it,and accept Christ as ma saviour, just as you accept Prophet Mohammed(S.A.W). As for those Bible qouted above,i dont accept that as fact,cos u dont get, start from verse1 to d end to get the meaning. Its not good to fight over religion,who are we to fight for God. So bro God bless u,just ignore them pls, Peace

1 Like

Re: Why Islam Say Kill Infidels by LagosShia: 10:32pm On Jul 03, 2011
Teaser4:

@lagoshia,afternun bro,may God be with you,i av followed all your replies,indeed you are a true moslem. Am a xtian,i was born in it,and accept Christ as ma saviour, just as you accept Prophet Mohammed(S.A.W). As for those Bible qouted above,i dont accept that as fact,cos u dont get, start from verse1 to d end to get the meaning. Its not good to fight over religion,who are we to fight for God. So bro God bless u,just ignore them pls, Peace

regardless of what you believe,it does not concern me and i will not argue it with you.but if you attack my religion without any reason or proof,i will return the favor and show your proof of how bad yours is.that is very simple.i wish all the ignorant people here attacking islam and provoking muslims were like you who is calm and could possible see guidance and embrace islam.

may Allah guide you.
Re: Why Islam Say Kill Infidels by Shiftol(m): 12:54am On Jul 04, 2011
Almighty ALLAH will guide us.U see to be frank and to say the truth,wat u posted dat d imam was ashamed was/is totally wrong,i am very sure dat u racked ur brain 4 postin dat lie,it is not possible for an Imam to b ashamed since he knows wat is in the KORAN,ALLAH does not support killing the unbelievers without any reason,PROPHET MUHAMMED would'nt av had any war in his life,but the unbelievers frustrated his life,that was why he was asked to fight them too. The meaning of Islam is peace,so peace is very important to every muslims,there is nothin like 'kill those dat do not believe Allah' in the KORAN,just try ur best to lecture them,then leave them,ALLAH can only guide one to d right path,the Christians are d people that practice such tins.ISLAM is the most peaceful religion,pls dont ever in ur life make that alligation about ISLAM again if u dont want God to angry at u. Islam is d only right way.
Re: Why Islam Say Kill Infidels by Teaser4(m): 10:23am On Jul 05, 2011
LagosShia:

regardless of what you believe,it does not concern me and i will not argue it with you.but if you attack my religion without any reason or proof,i will return the favor and show your proof of how bad yours is.that is very simple.i wish all the ignorant people here attacking islam and provoking muslims were like you who is calm and could possible see guidance and embrace islam.

may Allah guide you.

honestly i hate reading cybereligion fights posts,it makes me furious, Anyway thanks for the cool reply,i thought otherwise, I cant convert to a muslim,i pray for you to see the light of Jesus too. I do goto mosques esp,during ramadan,i do fast also, thats only aspect i like abt Islam. Not for food ooo,but willingly. God bless me,Allah bless you, lol
Re: Why Islam Say Kill Infidels by bilms(m): 5:57pm On Jul 05, 2011
I cant convert to a muslim,i pray for you to see the light of Jesus too,

this is where the problem is, You are convinced you cant convert to a Muslim, but you wish others convert to christian. this attitude is why we may be slow on development. static view.

I am a Muslim, and am good with it. But if any christian can convincingly explain what i can get in Christianity that i can't get in Islam, and also present facts which clearly establish the authenticity of Christianity ahead of Islam. why not accept it.

the same should be the stand of a genuine christian.

(1) (Reply)

Ignore Everything I Have Been Saying All These Months. The Bottomline Is / Astrology Predictions; Ever Been A Victim? What Are The Consequences? / The Sad Atheist! His Sad Assignment!

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 77
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.