Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,765 members, 7,817,107 topics. Date: Saturday, 04 May 2024 at 06:01 AM

Worst Things To Put On Your Resume - Jobs/Vacancies - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Jobs/Vacancies / Worst Things To Put On Your Resume (14737 Views)

7 Major Reasons Why You Should Avoid Sending Your Resume To Recruiters / When You Lie On Your Resume About Being Proficient In Excel / 5 Things You Should Remove From Your resume (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (Reply) (Go Down)

Worst Things To Put On Your Resume by bigfat02: 11:16pm On Jun 30, 2011
Unnecessary Details About Your Life
Re: Worst Things To Put On Your Resume by bigfat02: 11:17pm On Jun 30, 2011
Salary Expectations
Re: Worst Things To Put On Your Resume by bigfat02: 11:17pm On Jun 30, 2011
Lies grin
Re: Worst Things To Put On Your Resume by bigfat02: 11:18pm On Jun 30, 2011
Fired From a Job and What You Were Fired for
Re: Worst Things To Put On Your Resume by bigfat02: 11:18pm On Jun 30, 2011
please make una contribute
Re: Worst Things To Put On Your Resume by PALS007: 10:14am On Jul 01, 2011
your age is one of d worse tins u can put in ur resume
Re: Worst Things To Put On Your Resume by igelomo(m): 10:37am On Jul 01, 2011
PALS 007:

your age is one of d worse tins u can put in your resume
Are u serious?
Re: Worst Things To Put On Your Resume by ariaria: 2:23am On Jul 02, 2011
Unnecessary bragging.
Re: Worst Things To Put On Your Resume by MsPotato(f): 3:21am On Jul 02, 2011
Your marriage life. I receive one resume the other day. The guy stated there that he wuld prefer to work till 5pm and not more cause his wife nags alot at home.
Re: Worst Things To Put On Your Resume by Cuteobi(f): 3:39am On Jul 02, 2011
PALS 007:

your age is one of d worse tins u can put in your resume
Arent u joking!a lot of resumes have dates of birth on them.

[quote
author=Ms. Potato link=topic=703175.msg8633372#msg8633372 date=1309573279]
Your marriage life. I receive one resume the other day. The guy stated there that he wuld prefer to work till 5pm and not more cause his wife nags alot at home.
[quote][/quote] The guy is plain stupid.who wants to know what happens @ home
Re: Worst Things To Put On Your Resume by Cuteobi(f): 3:47am On Jul 02, 2011
No pictures or photos except required to do so
Re: Worst Things To Put On Your Resume by YoruIgbo(m): 4:10am On Jul 02, 2011
A 16 yr old girl was handed a CV format to complete

Name , Shola Adeobi
Address, 16 Ilupeju St Amuwo Odofin, Lagos
Sex, 39 times grin grin

Please don't include sex in your CV, as some employers have preference and secondly no over selling or under selling just be sure the CV doesn't read 'the only man in my school to have ever graduated with first class in the history of the college of Medicine!

Avoid big Title like 'High Chief John Okon' or Pastor, chief Imam or Native Doctor Johnson Okoronkwo just because you know the owner of the company is a Pastor/Imam.
Finally avoid age if you are applying for job in a country where you are not allowed to discriminate people because of their age unfortunately Nigeria is on of the countries that discriminate people because of age e.g. Do not apply if you are over 29 years old as over 29 should be kidnappers and robbers!!! Rubbish,
Re: Worst Things To Put On Your Resume by blank(f): 5:40am On Jul 02, 2011
If a job states age as a requirement n u don't put it, ur application will be rejected ab initio. They feel that you don't meet up that's why ur hiding ur age. Sucks big time.
Re: Worst Things To Put On Your Resume by pepperoni(f): 6:49am On Jul 02, 2011
@Topic. Never put what you graduated with, let them find out! u put ur grade and u get dis-qualified especially if they r looking for sumone with a grade higher than urs!!!
Re: Worst Things To Put On Your Resume by maximum007(m): 7:08am On Jul 02, 2011
Never put things you know you cannot defend. Like "Industrial Training in company X" when you know you completed your log book at home.

1 Like

Re: Worst Things To Put On Your Resume by Cuddlemii: 7:12am On Jul 02, 2011
Cuteobi:

No pictures or photos except required to do so

This is so irritating. Some would snap a side view pix or pose in the pix with a smirk on their face. That should land it in the dustbin. lolz
Re: Worst Things To Put On Your Resume by oladayo042: 8:09am On Jul 02, 2011
Some companies don't want any educational background before your first degree.
Re: Worst Things To Put On Your Resume by safetyman1: 8:58am On Jul 02, 2011
About the not putting pictures on your resume, I do that a lot but it has always worked for me. I even get interview requests from overseas (i.e Saudi Aramco). I think provided it is a small size coloured passport photo, it should do no harm. Any thoughts??
Re: Worst Things To Put On Your Resume by tuneh(f): 11:03am On Jul 02, 2011
I like the idea of a picture on a CV, it makes the person more real. A picture is worth a thousand words. You can tell so much by a picture that can't be articulated into words. But then again, the hiring companies might not agree
Re: Worst Things To Put On Your Resume by Nosyke(m): 11:22am On Jul 02, 2011
Yoru_Igbo:

A 16 yr old girl was handed a CV format to complete

Name , Shola Adeobi
Sex, 39 times grin grin

Please don't include sex in your CV, as some employers have preference and secondly no over selling or under selling just be sure the CV doesn't read 'the only man in my school to have ever graduated with first class in the history of the college of Medicine!

Avoid big Title like 'High Chief John Okon' or Pastor, chief Imam or Native Doctor Johnson Okoronkwo just because you know the owner of the company is a Pastor/Imam.
Finally avoid age if you are applying for job in a country where you are not allowed to discriminate people because of their age unfortunately Nigeria is on of the countries that discriminate people because of age e.g. Do not apply if you are over 29 years old as over 29 should be kidnappers and robbers!!! Rubbish,

Are you serious? how do you reconcile this to the fact that most organisations require that a 'detailed' cv be attached?
Doesnt details include age and grade you graduated from?

Ms. Potato:

Your marriage life. I receive one resume the other day. The guy stated there that he wuld prefer to work till 5pm and not more cause his wife nags alot at home.[/quote

shocked shocked shocked are yoy kidding me?, you would have simply invited the guy, then give him a dirty slap for his sillyness, how can somebody that has grey matter in the brain put such silly thing in his CV
Re: Worst Things To Put On Your Resume by MurphyG1(m): 11:27am On Jul 02, 2011
Cuteobi:

Arent u joking!a lot of resumes have dates of birth on them.
The guy is plain silly.who wants to know what happens @ home

Because alot of resumes hav dates of birth on them does not mean you shld include it except u are asked to like most employers in naija. There was an interview I attended here in the UK and one of the interviewers asked the other if it is allowed for him to ask me my age and the other answered NO!!  shocked
Re: Worst Things To Put On Your Resume by MurphyG1(m): 11:28am On Jul 02, 2011
tuneh:

I like the idea of a picture on a CV, it makes the person more real. A picture is worth a thousand words. You can tell so much by a picture that can't be articulated into words. But then again, the hiring companies might not agree

No be by looks oh my sister!
Re: Worst Things To Put On Your Resume by pereze: 11:39am On Jul 02, 2011
safetyman1:

About the not putting pictures on your resume, I do that a lot but it has always worked for me. I even get interview requests from overseas (i.e Saudi Aramco). I think provided it is a small size coloured passport photo, it should do no harm. Any thoughts??
I agree with you. But you should check the CV format of the country you are applying to.
Middle eastern countries will appreciate your pics, marital status ,country, religion, age and stuffs like that.
In UK all these are a no no.
In Nigeria, pics are not necessary, but almost everything else should be in there, excluding maybe your girl/boyfriends name(s)!
Re: Worst Things To Put On Your Resume by freepeople: 12:05pm On Jul 02, 2011
Yoru_Igbo:

Name , Shola Adeobi
Sex, 39 times grin grin

grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin cheesy cheesy grin grin grin grin grin grin
Re: Worst Things To Put On Your Resume by Jarus(m): 12:24pm On Jul 02, 2011
See virus flying around in this thread:

Any CV. that doesn't contain your age and what you graduated with will end up in the dustbin. So you expect the employer to be finding out what you graduated with when he has more than enough CVs on his table? And you think it is for nothing that job adverts expressly set age limits on jobs?

I now know why some people are still jobless.
Re: Worst Things To Put On Your Resume by coded777: 12:40pm On Jul 02, 2011
Therez always a criteria for a required CCV.
only way to go by diz thread thought is if a random ccv is required.
Re: Worst Things To Put On Your Resume by jagz: 1:51pm On Jul 02, 2011
an all inclusive site for job seekers.

joblinkers . info
Re: Worst Things To Put On Your Resume by Tinyemeka(m): 1:56pm On Jul 02, 2011
Your photo should not be included in your CV except if requested and this would apply only to organizations where image presentation is a major part of the job function e.g modelling/advertising agencies, TV and other visual media companies. There you may have to include your best photos, to beat co-applicants. However, yours or any other photo is not needed in the CV when applying to a financial organization, public/civil service, telecoms (except maybe their PR unit), e.t.c. You may be considered unserious or it may be construed that your looks are only better that what you have to offer the organization.ay be construed that your looks are only better that what you have to offer the organization.
Re: Worst Things To Put On Your Resume by jagz: 2:01pm On Jul 02, 2011
an all inclusive site for job seekers.

joblinker.info
Re: Worst Things To Put On Your Resume by Yankee01: 2:43pm On Jul 02, 2011
pepperoni:

@Topic. Never put what you graduated with, let them find out! u put your grade and u get dis-qualified especially if they r looking for sumone with a grade higher than urs!!!
This is for pple that made lower gade out of school. If you are first class or 2:1 material, you would be proud to put it in ur CV, mehn!
Re: Worst Things To Put On Your Resume by enyojo(f): 3:21pm On Jul 02, 2011
EL-RUFAI'S MESSAGES ON TWITTER:

“Got detained by the SSS on arrival at Abuja Airport. No reason given. On our way to the Headqurters. Will keep you posted if phones not seized”

We have arrived safely at SSS HQ. They are polite and courteous, so far…’

”Taken up three floors to see the DG. He was my director of security in FCT, 2003…decent man then, will soon know if fresh air has got him.’

‘Phone battery going down…no tweets until i charge….sorry guys, ladies, ’

(1) (2) (3) (Reply)

A Thread For Nigerian Army Applicants / The Nigerian Ports Authority Hereby Clarifies Secret Recruitment Report / PZ Cussons Group Interview Tips (URGENT!!!)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 33
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.