Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,154,621 members, 7,823,719 topics. Date: Friday, 10 May 2024 at 01:51 PM

What Do You Call This In Your Language/Dialect? (Photo) - Food (6) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Food / What Do You Call This In Your Language/Dialect? (Photo) (46696 Views)

What Do You Call It In Your Dialect? ( See Photo ) / What Is This Called In Your Language? / What Do You Call This Food In Your Dialect (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: What Do You Call This In Your Language/Dialect? (Photo) by Greyworld: 4:48pm On Mar 19, 2022
oz4real83:
this is the racism that goes with white. Even though this fruit is found in Africa, they gave it their English version of name instead of looking for one local African language name to give to it. If this fruit was in Italy, France, Spain or any other European country, they would have called it in the languages of those European countries just like Spaghetti, macaroni, mayonnaise and many others.

Oga give am your Africa name na... must the white man give it the African name for you?

Whats the meaning your post

Was it a black or African that named Apple for them.
Re: What Do You Call This In Your Language/Dialect? (Photo) by bergs2: 4:51pm On Mar 19, 2022
oz4real83:
this is the racism that goes with white. Even though this fruit is found in Africa, they gave it their English version of name instead of looking for one local African language name to give to it. If this fruit was in Italy, France, Spain or any other European country, they would have called it in the languages of those European countries just like Spaghetti, macaroni, mayonnaise and many others.

It is not racism brother; more like dominance.
People always go with a moving train.
Imagine the double standard you showed now: typing with English language only to condemn those who do. That's shooting yourself in the legs.

Who were you expecting to give an African name to that fruit? Whites I guess or your fellow African brothers and sisters.

I think it's high time we accepted our faith as Africans so that we'd at least enjoy the gift of life and prosperity from God through people who are more progressive.
Re: What Do You Call This In Your Language/Dialect? (Photo) by Greyworld: 4:53pm On Mar 19, 2022
bergs2:

It is not racism brother; more like dominance.
People always go with a moving train.
Imagine the double standard you showed now: typing with English language only to condemn those who do. That's shooting yourself in the legs.

Who were you expecting to give an African name to that fruit? Whites I guess or your fellow African brothers and sisters.

I think it's high time we accepted our faith as Africans so that we'd at least enjoy the gift of life and prosperity from God through people who are more progressive.
Finally someone with working brain appears.

They come out to hate on the white man using the white man's language, internet, phone and all... is that not madness?

Moreover the stuff has various names in different languages in Africa... so also does the white mans invention has different African names... even phone has a name in Igbo I shock... so what's is the issue

2 Likes

Re: What Do You Call This In Your Language/Dialect? (Photo) by Chochovini: 4:53pm On Mar 19, 2022
Alakoyequdus20:

Africa star apple
I think it is called “Cherry“.

Thank me later.

I take a stroll...
Re: What Do You Call This In Your Language/Dialect? (Photo) by NONAMEPOTATO: 4:57pm On Mar 19, 2022
Cherry
Re: What Do You Call This In Your Language/Dialect? (Photo) by Mariangeles(f): 4:59pm On Mar 19, 2022
Greyworld:

They come out to hate on the white man using the white man's language, internet, phone and all... is that not madness?

Moreover the stuff has various names in different languages in Africa... so also does the white mans invention has different African names... even phone has a name in Igbo I shock... so what's is the issue

It's not about hating, it's about preserving what is left of our heritage and identity.
Especially those things the whites haven't tampered with.
Re: What Do You Call This In Your Language/Dialect? (Photo) by AsianTotal: 4:59pm On Mar 19, 2022
OTIEN

3 Likes

Re: What Do You Call This In Your Language/Dialect? (Photo) by bergs2: 5:01pm On Mar 19, 2022
Greyworld:

Thank you brother!
Yea! The brother is sitting patiently waiting for Americans or Europeans to name a fruit is his domain in African language.
Is our God not wonderful?
Re: What Do You Call This In Your Language/Dialect? (Photo) by Mariangeles(f): 5:01pm On Mar 19, 2022
AsianTotal:
OTIEN

I like the way it sounds when I pronounce it.
Re: What Do You Call This In Your Language/Dialect? (Photo) by harmony75: 5:02pm On Mar 19, 2022
Agbalumo /Udara
Re: What Do You Call This In Your Language/Dialect? (Photo) by Puffinjoe(m): 5:08pm On Mar 19, 2022
Nmezor:
Udala
Which language be diz
Re: What Do You Call This In Your Language/Dialect? (Photo) by Nobody: 5:08pm On Mar 19, 2022
This over hyped fruit. Since I was a kid I have been trying to understand the hype it attracts
Re: What Do You Call This In Your Language/Dialect? (Photo) by purpleicious(f): 5:11pm On Mar 19, 2022
udari - Efik
Re: What Do You Call This In Your Language/Dialect? (Photo) by Greyworld: 5:12pm On Mar 19, 2022
Mariangeles:

It's not about hating, it's about preserving what is left of our heritage and identity.
Especially those things the whites haven't tampered with.

Kindly elucidate please. Cause from the post I quoted initially no such interference was perceived.
Like the example I gave, cars ,air planes, phone etc are product of the white man and all have native African names. Im sure the white man doesn't care
Re: What Do You Call This In Your Language/Dialect? (Photo) by DryMouth: 5:13pm On Mar 19, 2022
laughitall:
I pity your penis
As per?
Re: What Do You Call This In Your Language/Dialect? (Photo) by Acesexcell(m): 5:13pm On Mar 19, 2022
Uteh in igala
Re: What Do You Call This In Your Language/Dialect? (Photo) by lordprogress: 5:17pm On Mar 19, 2022
Utieagadava.
Re: What Do You Call This In Your Language/Dialect? (Photo) by Greyworld: 5:19pm On Mar 19, 2022
bergs2:

Thank you brother!
Yea! The brother is sitting patiently waiting for Americans or Europeans to name a fruit is his domain in African language.
Is our God not wonderful?

And me im waiting patiently till I can give them e slap.

Blacks are swift to cry about colonization but when they enjoy the products of the white man they are mum. The white man has long gone to his country. If they wanna go back to being cave men on hunter gatherer who is stopping them. Or even killing of twins or whatever ....
If they decide to speak only their native language im sure no body ll arrest them.

I tire o.

1 Like

Re: What Do You Call This In Your Language/Dialect? (Photo) by OlawaleBammie: 5:20pm On Mar 19, 2022
laughitall:
u feel say u Dey normal …how many pikin u don born now ?
my wife is pregnant already grin grin grin
Re: What Do You Call This In Your Language/Dialect? (Photo) by holybabayo(m): 5:27pm On Mar 19, 2022
MadamVanessa:
Ibibio= Udara or Udra
So you are my sister.
Please check your email
Re: What Do You Call This In Your Language/Dialect? (Photo) by Bigredmachine: 5:30pm On Mar 19, 2022
Ihatebuhariwith:
omo Yoruba.. ekiti lemi tiwa, eyin nko?

i am urhobo man, but i grew up in the city of Ilorin... i spent over 18 years there, before i moved back to Delta state... so i pretty much understand the yoruba language

emi kin tse omo yoruba o, omo urhobo nimi, sugbon ile yoruba ni mo ti gbe dagba... o to 18 years ti mo gbe ni ile Ilorin, ni to ri na, mo fi gbo ede yoruba dada...

e ku igbadun grin grin grin grin
Re: What Do You Call This In Your Language/Dialect? (Photo) by Chigold101(m): 5:32pm On Mar 19, 2022
nakaman:
op do u know the English name
Must it have English name?
Re: What Do You Call This In Your Language/Dialect? (Photo) by godwon01(m): 5:35pm On Mar 19, 2022
This one na Agbalumo. Powerful antioxidant.

2 Likes

Re: What Do You Call This In Your Language/Dialect? (Photo) by Dminister(m): 5:37pm On Mar 19, 2022
English name Africa star apple

Pidgin English name tearing. grin grin grin
Re: What Do You Call This In Your Language/Dialect? (Photo) by Corea4king(m): 5:38pm On Mar 19, 2022
Those people complaining about this fruits have not eaten the sweet type. Besides,not only this fruits is bitter in this world. There are many acts and drinks that are bitter but still people get addicted to them.
Re: What Do You Call This In Your Language/Dialect? (Photo) by Lama70(m): 5:41pm On Mar 19, 2022
Esha.
Re: What Do You Call This In Your Language/Dialect? (Photo) by macrodata(m): 5:47pm On Mar 19, 2022
jojo1415:
Mmkpuru mmiri Udarà grin
I'm igbo... but I laughed hard at this one.

One love bro.
Re: What Do You Call This In Your Language/Dialect? (Photo) by Wakeup0oo(m): 5:47pm On Mar 19, 2022
Justice4Toto:
Totoberry
loud no good
Chairman grin cheesy grin
Re: What Do You Call This In Your Language/Dialect? (Photo) by Mariangeles(f): 5:49pm On Mar 19, 2022
Greyworld:

Kindly elucidate please. Cause from the post I quoted initially no such interference was perceived.
Like the example I gave, cars ,air planes, phone etc are product of the white man and all have native African names. Im sure the white man doesn't care

All I'm trying to say is, we, on our part, mustn't give an English name to everything we have.

If a foreigner -seeing it for the first time- should ask what is that?, I should be able to confidently say it's called udara in my language without feeling the need to "break it down" further.

1 Like

Re: What Do You Call This In Your Language/Dialect? (Photo) by 00FFT00(m): 5:50pm On Mar 19, 2022
oz4real83:

Did you give Spaghetti or Macaroni an African name and it refused to answer to it. Una go too dey shout racism give oyinbo people while tribalism don nearly finish una inside the same Nigeria.
Re: What Do You Call This In Your Language/Dialect? (Photo) by Henri8: 5:51pm On Mar 19, 2022
Udara.
Re: What Do You Call This In Your Language/Dialect? (Photo) by EvangJay(m): 5:54pm On Mar 19, 2022
OMBI....Igede language from Benue

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) (Reply)

Lady Wins Pounded Yam Eating Competition In Ekiti (Photos, Video) / Take A Look At The Food I Bought For N1,600 Today / Photo Of Big Fish Caught In Warri River

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 35
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.