Stats: 3,154,835 members, 7,824,476 topics. Date: Saturday, 11 May 2024 at 10:57 AM

Can You Let Your Child Get A Once In A Life Time Illness - Family - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Family / Can You Let Your Child Get A Once In A Life Time Illness (930 Views)

Photo: Would You Let Your Pregnant Wife Go Clubbing Dressed Like This? / Photo: What Would You Do If You Came Home And Saw Your Child Like This!! / Will You Let Someone Sleep With Your Spouse For N10m? - (See Responses) (2) (3) (4)

Can You Let Your Child Get A Once In A Life Time Illness by naves(m): 8:28pm On Jul 02, 2011
illnesses like chicken pox can only affect you once in your life. so as a parent or guardian, would you let your child go outside to play if there is a spread of chicken pox or would you lock him or her in doors for their safety.
Re: Can You Let Your Child Get A Once In A Life Time Illness by Nobody: 8:32pm On Jul 02, 2011
^^^ That's why immunization exists, I hope that answers your question?
Re: Can You Let Your Child Get A Once In A Life Time Illness by ada24: 9:55pm On Jul 02, 2011
naves:

illnesses like chicken pox can only affect you once in your life. so as a parent or guardian, would you let your child go outside to play if there is a spread of chicken pox or would you lock him or her in doors for their safety. 

do you have a child

na wah for some questions on NL
Re: Can You Let Your Child Get A Once In A Life Time Illness by Nobody: 10:11pm On Jul 02, 2011
ada24:

do you have a child
na wah for some questions on NL

I feel the same too. Some questions / threads are way beyond comprehension.
Re: Can You Let Your Child Get A Once In A Life Time Illness by N101: 12:38am On Jul 03, 2011
naves:

Not true @ bold.
Re: Can You Let Your Child Get A Once In A Life Time Illness by xxcarolxx(f): 1:04am On Jul 03, 2011
When we were kids, if any of our friends had chicken pox we were actually put we these kids in hope we pick up chicken pox, so in later life as adults we would not get shingles,
Re: Can You Let Your Child Get A Once In A Life Time Illness by blank(f): 6:50pm On Jul 03, 2011
Heard that if u get chicken pox as an adult, that it is usually very serious but as a kid, not serious at all. Don't want my kids to get it cos I don't want to get it.
Re: Can You Let Your Child Get A Once In A Life Time Illness by Nobody: 8:18pm On Jul 03, 2011
blank:

Heard that if u get chicken pox as an adult, that it is usually very serious but as a kid, not serious at all. Don't want my kids to get it cos I don't want to get it.

Very serious indeed if chicken pox is contracted as an adult.

Why're you still sulking, Ms Blank?
Re: Can You Let Your Child Get A Once In A Life Time Illness by blank(f): 10:28pm On Jul 03, 2011
Lagos stress is too much. See River Niger in front of my house. I don tire. Can't wait to retire to my village. Till then, I will keep sulking. (Actually, I av not gotten round to changing the profile. Can't even remember when I put it.)
Re: Can You Let Your Child Get A Once In A Life Time Illness by xxcarolxx(f): 10:31pm On Jul 03, 2011
Shingles are a lot worse in adults. I pray i never ever get shingles,
Re: Can You Let Your Child Get A Once In A Life Time Illness by N101: 1:30am On Jul 04, 2011
Have any of  you had Chicken Pox as an adult? I've had it twice and never had shingles. Shingles not nice from what I've heard.  Maybe if I ever get it I should give some kid who's never had Chicken Pox a piggy back  cheesy

Did you know you can some people who've had chicken pox as a child and contract it again as an adult?  Happened to a friend - got it from some children she was looking after.
Re: Can You Let Your Child Get A Once In A Life Time Illness by iice(f): 5:06pm On Jul 05, 2011
I had chicken pox as a child and as an adult. Thankfully didn't have the shingles.
Re: Can You Let Your Child Get A Once In A Life Time Illness by busybody20: 5:42pm On Jul 05, 2011
You can get chickenpox more than once.

I had it as a child and had it recently.  I was adviced to stay indoors so it doesnt spread to others, doctors asked me to ring the GP rather than visit in person. Not funny i tell ya  grin
Re: Can You Let Your Child Get A Once In A Life Time Illness by N101: 2:53pm On Jul 06, 2011
busybody20:

You can get chickenpox  more than once.

I had it as a child and had it recently.  I was adviced to stay indoors so it doesnt spread to others, doctors asked me to ring the GP rather than visit in person. Not funny i tell ya  grin

Can't beat the first time I had chicken pox. I didn't know what it was and went to visit Oyinbo GP.  He had a black student doctor with him.

As soon as I came in he got all excited.  He was saying to the student "aah, this is a good example, you never usually see this, look".  Then he asked me questions and quite excitedly echoed my response back at the student.  He was happily showing the student where the poxes were and said "they've come up beautifully" "aah, look at that one, see it here"  grin

Of course I'm totally lost cos I have no idea what he's talking about.  He then sat down matter-of-fact and said to me "Chickenpox", lol.
Re: Can You Let Your Child Get A Once In A Life Time Illness by Nekai(f): 4:25am On Jul 07, 2011
Yes, but it depends on which illness.  With proper nutrition and a normal immune system many childhood illnesses are harmless, and some are even beneficial. Chicken pox protects against shingles. There is a study that shows getting the mumps protects against getting ovarian cancer.

http://www.vaccineriskawareness.com/Treating-Childhood-Illnesses

Personal choice. I do think I would cry if I ever had to see my child covered with chicken pox.  cry

Mother Beats Her Child Into Coma; Gets A 99 Year Jail Sentence / On The Issue Of Adoption / 74-year-old Man Set To Marry Goat He Is In Love With