Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,158,432 members, 7,836,731 topics. Date: Wednesday, 22 May 2024 at 12:02 PM

Do You Know That You Personally Pay For Ambulance In The US - Travel - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Travel / Do You Know That You Personally Pay For Ambulance In The US (1080 Views)

Video Of How Road Users In The Netherlands Give Way To An Ambulance(pix,vid) / NNPC Tanker Crashes Into Ambulance Conveying Corpse For Burial In Benue / Using Keke NAPEP For Ambulance Or Police Vehicle: Is It Wrong? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

Do You Know That You Personally Pay For Ambulance In The US by DrsultanNG: 6:07am On Mar 25, 2022
Yes. The day I learned that there are places in the world that don't charge for an ambulance ride, I realized the “American dream" is called that because you have to be asleep to believe it.

I crashed on an electric scooter one night on my way home from a new job. I woke up in an ambulance, and immediately started to panic, not because of my injuries, because I knew I couldn't afford the ride. I even asked the paramedics to take me home! I said it as a joke, but, I was only 5 blocks from my house when I crashed.

I had two weeks until my insurance kicked in. When I got to the hospital, I asked to sign a waiver and be discharged, no way I could afford any treatment! The nurse talked me into a tetanus shot and sent me home. The bill for the ambulance was $1700.00. It's now in collections and keeping me from getting a home loan, or car loan. This is a picture I took of myself when I got home from the hospital.

2 Likes

Re: Do You Know That You Personally Pay For Ambulance In The US by 1stGenAmerican(f): 6:31am On Mar 25, 2022
DrsultanNG:
Yes. The day I learned that there are places in the world that don't charge for an ambulance ride, I realized the “American dream" is called that because you have to be asleep to believe it.

I crashed on an electric scooter one night on my way home from a new job. I woke up in an ambulance, and immediately started to panic, not because of my injuries, because I knew I couldn't afford the ride. I even asked the paramedics to take me home! I said it as a joke, but, I was only 5 blocks from my house when I crashed.

I had two weeks until my insurance kicked in. When I got to the hospital, I asked to sign a waiver and be discharged, no way I could afford any treatment! The nurse talked me into a tetanus shot and sent me home. The bill for the ambulance was $1700.00. It's now in collections and keeping me from getting a home loan, or car loan. This is a picture I took of myself when I got home from the hospital.

Medical collections no longer appear on credit reports and they haven’t appeared for quite some time. And even if they did, a $1700 collections debt isn’t enough to prevent you from getting loans. IF your story is true, your credit is bad for other reasons. Your story raises several red flags. I really don’t believe you or your story.

5 Likes

Re: Do You Know That You Personally Pay For Ambulance In The US by EmptyGarden(m): 6:54am On Mar 25, 2022
DrsultanNG:

Oga come and defend your story o, that woman up there is disputing it. grin

1 Like

Re: Do You Know That You Personally Pay For Ambulance In The US by 1stGenAmerican(f): 6:59am On Mar 25, 2022
EmptyGarden:

Oga come and defend your story o, that man up there is disputing it. grin

He told this exact story in another thread but said it happened to a friend of his. Notice he says he included a pic yet no picture appears.
Many things in his story make his lie blatant.
By the way, I’m a woman. wink

5 Likes

Re: Do You Know That You Personally Pay For Ambulance In The US by EmptyGarden(m): 7:10am On Mar 25, 2022
1stGenAmerican:

He told this exact story in another thread but said it happened to a friend of his. Notice he says he included a pic yet no picture appears.
Ah, a woman? Sorry about that... grin

1 Like

Re: Do You Know That You Personally Pay For Ambulance In The US by DannyFX2638: 7:51am On Mar 25, 2022
Lol..he got the story from Quora..

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: Do You Know That You Personally Pay For Ambulance In The US by 1stGenAmerican(f): 7:55am On Mar 25, 2022
DannyFX2638:
Lol..he got the story from Quora..

Really? He did??
Re: Do You Know That You Personally Pay For Ambulance In The US by DannyFX2638: 7:57am On Mar 25, 2022
1stGenAmerican:

Really? He did??
yeah. A lady made the post.. he just copied and paste that's why he couldn't attach the image
Re: Do You Know That You Personally Pay For Ambulance In The US by 1stGenAmerican(f): 7:58am On Mar 25, 2022
DannyFX2638:
yeah. A lady made the post.. he just copied and paste that's why he couldn't attach the image

I can’t stop laughing!
Re: Do You Know That You Personally Pay For Ambulance In The US by Passionate1(m): 8:30am On Mar 25, 2022
1700 dolls 4 Ambulance. . Bad liar!

2 Likes

Re: Do You Know That You Personally Pay For Ambulance In The US by DrsultanNG: 1:05pm On Mar 25, 2022
1stGenAmerican:

Medical collections no longer appear on credit reports and they haven’t appeared for quite some time. And even if they did, a $1700 collections debt isn’t enough to prevent you from getting loans. IF your story is true, your credit is bad for other reasons. Your story raises several red flags. I really don’t believe you or your story.
hahaha I don't need your validation baby girl, either you believe it or not that's your business not mine.

The person that share the story first on quora did not lie am unable to upload her pics
Re: Do You Know That You Personally Pay For Ambulance In The US by DrsultanNG: 1:08pm On Mar 25, 2022
Passionate1:
1700 dolls 4 Ambulance. . Bad liar!
how did I lie here mr bad lier

1 Like

Re: Do You Know That You Personally Pay For Ambulance In The US by Nobody: 8:18pm On Mar 25, 2022
1stGenAmerican:

I have challenge you several times that you always post half truths. He's not the originator of the story. A US citizen was answering a question posted on Quora. You were in a hurry to dispute an event that actually took place and over three thousand commenters sympathized with the victim. The name and profession of the individual is there, but you hide under cloak of Nairaland to attack any negative view of the US.

I will always teach you anyway. In most places Ambulances are provided by the hospitals or private companies. You need to pay for it. The purpose of the health care systems in the other industrial countries, the ones with universal health care, is to provide health care. The purpose of the US health care system is to deliver the highest profits to shareholders, and they’re actually willing to let you die if you can’t afford it. (Several experiences and reports are everywhere)

As for medical debts appearing in credit reports. Right, there were recent efforts by the credit bureaus to have them not appear on credit reports. So you don't know when the incident took place and two, there are still conditions that can have medical collections appear on the reports.

Since you don't believe official reports, I guess there's no need posting links to Equifax, Experian and TransUnion statements on the above.

1 Like

Re: Do You Know That You Personally Pay For Ambulance In The US by 1stGenAmerican(f): 8:21pm On Mar 25, 2022
Re: Do You Know That You Personally Pay For Ambulance In The US by 1stGenAmerican(f): 8:22pm On Mar 25, 2022
Studymore123:

I have challenge you several times that you always post half truths. He's not the originator of the story. A US citizen was answering a question posted on Quora. You were in a hurry to dispute an event that actually took place and over three thousand commenters sympathized with the victim. The name and profession of the individual is there, but you hide under cloak of Nairaland to attack any negative view of the US.

I will always teach you anyway. In most places Ambulances are provided by the hospitals or private companies. You need to pay for it. The purpose of the health care systems in the other industrial countries, the ones with universal health care, is to provide health care. The purpose of the US health care system is to deliver the highest profits to shareholders, and they’re actually willing to let you die if you can’t afford it. (Several experiences and reports are everywhere)

As for medical debts appearing in credit reports. Right, there were recent efforts by the credit bureaus to have them not appear on credit reports. So you don't know when the incident took place and two, there are still conditions that can have medical collections appear on the reports.

Since you don't believe official reports, I guess there's no need posting links to Equifax, Experian and TransUnion statements on the above.

The entire debate started when I said that an ambulance will transport a person in the US whether they have money or not which is the truth. If you are a Nigerian visiting the US and have an emergency, you will be picked up. Not once did I ever say that it was free. There will never be a demand for money up front and you will have time to pay the bill. The person who wrote the story made no effort to pay the bill which is why it went to collections.
As for the rest, I don’t care to debate subjects that I am well-versed in and have extensive knowledge of.
I hope you enjoy your night.

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: Do You Know That You Personally Pay For Ambulance In The US by Nobody: 8:35pm On Mar 25, 2022
1stGenAmerican:

The entire debate started when I said that an ambulance will transport a person in the US whether they have money or not which is the truth. If you are a Nigerian visiting the US and have an emergency, you will be picked up. Not once did I ever say that it was free. There will never be a demand for money up front and you will have time to pay the bill. The person who wrote the story made no effort to pay the bill which is why it went to collections.

That's correct

1stGenAmerican:

As for the rest, I don’t care to debate subjects that I am well-versed in and have extensive knowledge of.

Interesting. I'm open to learning. I lean with facts though and not sentiments.
You used the term well-versed and extensive knowledge. In what domain are you knowledgeable about? You can't be jack of all trades. grin
Re: Do You Know That You Personally Pay For Ambulance In The US by 1stGenAmerican(f): 9:11pm On Mar 25, 2022
Studymore123:

That's correct

Interesting. I'm open to learning. I lean with facts though and not sentiments.
You used the term well-versed and extensive knowledge. In what domain are you knowledgeable about? You can't be jack of all trades. grin

I’m not Jackie of All Trades except when it comes to law which I practice. Most of my work is in criminal, family, and immigration law but my scope of knowledge is far beyond that. Regarding medical bills, collections, and credit, I’m well-versed with the US Bankruptcy code. Regarding the other topics, my knowledge includes (but isn’t limited to) patient rights, medical care, rights to treatment, and medical malpractice suits.
I used the example about the Nigerian on a visitor’s visa because I have a medical malpractice win under my belt.
If a person doesn’t have insurance, hospital and ambulance bills can be negotiated down or the patient can choose to pay a very small amount monthly. As long as the small payments are regular, the bills aren’t sent to collections.

2 Likes

Re: Do You Know That You Personally Pay For Ambulance In The US by kindklemz(m): 9:26pm On Mar 25, 2022
1stGenAmerican:

The story is true, only that he copied it from Quora and failed to reference it.
I read it last year on Quora with all the pictures.
Re: Do You Know That You Personally Pay For Ambulance In The US by klawaaa: 9:28pm On Mar 25, 2022
Nothing is free in America... You would pay for any service rendered even at death. If you don't get it, forget about it!
1stGenAmerican:

Re: Do You Know That You Personally Pay For Ambulance In The US by 1stGenAmerican(f): 9:31pm On Mar 25, 2022
kindklemz:

The story is true, only that he copied it from Quora and failed to reference it.
I read it last year on Quora with all the pictures.

Quora. The land of half-told stories. cheesy
Sure but Unfortunately the person didn’t tell the full story. Medical bills are not sent to collections unless the patient makes NO attempts to pay it. Even if she would’ve been consistently paying $5 a month, it wouldn’t have gone to a collections agency. From her story it’s obvious that she wasn’t even making an attempt to pay. Even after it went to collections, she could’ve negotiated the amount and setup payments. She was riding a scooter so it seems that her bike was uninsured because her scooter insurance would’ve covered the bills. If she was hit by another vehicle (which she never specified) then the other driver’s insurance would’ve covered her.
Also, One medical bill is not enough ruin a person’s credit or prevent them from getting a car or a house loan. She mentioned that she had just started a new job and time on your job does impact your creditworthiness. She probably had bad credit before the accident.
Re: Do You Know That You Personally Pay For Ambulance In The US by 1stGenAmerican(f): 9:37pm On Mar 25, 2022
klawaaa:
Nothing is free in America... You would pay for any service rendered even at death. If you don't get it, forget about it!

Can you name me all of the things that are free in Nigeria? Will an ambulance arrive within a few minutes, take you to the ER where you will get treatment without paying money up front and given a long period to pay in Nigeria? Why would anyone expect anything free?
My point has always been that no one will be denied ambulance transport or medical attention, even if they are penniless. They won’t be turned away if they can’t pay. No, it isn’t free but you will be given time to negotiate and settle the bill if you have no insurance.

3 Likes 1 Share

Re: Do You Know That You Personally Pay For Ambulance In The US by klawaaa: 9:55pm On Mar 25, 2022
Heavy debt is your nickname. Many things are mostly free in Nigeria... I had a double bachelors which is almost free... I most times run free medical test at the general hospitals. My mom was hospitalized with most bills covered by the government; she only need to get the hospital card to mentioned but a few. Disclaimer: Not APC led Governments! In comparison most undergraduate degrees in the states are loaned even after the FAFSA. Don't even compare debtness in the states with Nigeria or African at large. Most things in the states are on credits. A rich man once said that if you want to be wealthy you would want to stay within your income. You can see why Americans work throughout their life... some don't even pay all their debts before they died.
1stGenAmerican:

Can you name me all of the things that are free in Nigeria? Will an ambulance arrive within a few minutes, take you to the ER where you will get treatment without paying money up front and given a long period to pay in Nigeria? Why would anyone expect anything free?
My point has always been that no one will be denied ambulance transport or medical attention, even if they are penniless. They won’t be turned away if they can’t pay. No, it isn’t free but you will be given time to negotiate and settle the bill if you have no insurance.
Re: Do You Know That You Personally Pay For Ambulance In The US by 1stGenAmerican(f): 10:14pm On Mar 25, 2022
klawaaa:
Heavy debt is your nickname. Many things are mostly free in Nigeria... I had a double bachelors which is almost free... I most times run free medical test at the general hospitals. My mom was hospitalized with most bills covered by the government; she only need to get the hospital card to mentioned but a few. Disclaimer: Not APC led Governments! In comparison most undergraduate degrees in the states are loaned even after the FAFSA. Don't even compare debtness in the states with Nigeria or African at large. Most things in the states are on credits. A rich man once said that if you want to be wealthy you would want to stay within your income. You can see why Americans work throughout their life... some don't even pay all their debts before they died.

If heavy debt is my nickname then surely struggle is your nickname. I asked you to name things that all people currently receive free of charge in Nigeria but you failed to do that. Almost free isn’t free and I’m sure the quality of healthcare you both received was less than stellar. What are ALL Nigerian citizens entitled to, regardless of who is in power, free of charge? Are handicapped and mentally ill people entitled to a monthly check as they are here in America? Is every student in the country entitled to a free public school education near there home?

Does it occur to you that most Americans don’t fuss about paying bills that they have incurred? Taxes go towards amenities and social programs plus you get a yearly tax refund. The government is about to vote on a monthly stimulus to cover the costs of gas for all citizens with a vehicle. We reap benefits that we pay into.
Not everyone in America has debts and it’s possible to get grants and scholarships for college with no student loans. Thousands of people’s student loans are being forgiven for different reasons. Americans work until retirement age so that they can collect their pension as well as Social Security benefits. And no, most things are not on “credits” however it comes in handy.

1 Like

Re: Do You Know That You Personally Pay For Ambulance In The US by klawaaa: 10:47pm On Mar 25, 2022
You said free education in the states! You won't want to send your wards to those free high schools dude because they grow up to become druggies. And yes, that is the reason I gave the disclaimer. This APC led governments are mostly imitating the American system but with corruption making things hard for the citizens and that is the reason for the Japa syndrome. For the Undergraduates degrees you mostly have to pay for it, you can do more research on that dude. Yeah, if mediocre is your choice in life, i think you won that for the disable but for me I don't wanna live on the government support which is still not uprightly free as some people are more taxed. You get a tax refund if you make less dude. I just know that Africans don't value what they have and often times they see America as a paradise. I wont want to take this further so i would say i prefer my pandol extra while you stick to your Tylenol. God no go shame us. One love dude!
1stGenAmerican:

If heavy debt is my nickname then surely struggle is your nickname. I asked you to name things that people currently receive free of charge in Nigeria but you failed to do that. Almost free isn’t free and I’m sure the quality of healthcare you both received was less than stellar. What are ALL Nigerian citizens entitled to, regardless of who is in power, free of charge? Are handicapped and mentally ill people entitled to a monthly check as they are here in America? Is every student in the country entitled to a free public school education near there home?

Does it occur to you that most Americans don’t fuss about paying bills that they have incurred? Taxes go towards amenities and social programs plus you get a yearly tax refund. The government is about to vote on a monthly stimulus to cover the costs of gas for all citizens with a vehicle. We reap benefits that we pay into.
Not everyone in America has debts and it’s possible to get grants and scholarships for college with no student loans. Thousands of people’s student loans are being forgiven for different reasons. Americans work until retirement age so that they can collect their pension as well as Social Security benefits. And no, most things are not on “credits” however it comes in handy.
Re: Do You Know That You Personally Pay For Ambulance In The US by 1stGenAmerican(f): 10:52pm On Mar 25, 2022
klawaaa:
You said free education in the states! You won't want to send your wards to those free high schools dude because they grow up to become druggies. And yes, that is the reason I gave the disclaimer. This APC led governments are mostly imitating the American system but with corruption making things hard for the citizens and that is the reason for the Japa syndrome. For the Undergraduates degrees you mostly have to pay for it, you can do more research on that dude. Yeah, if mediocre is your choice in life, i think you won that for the disable but for me I don't wanna live on the government support which is still not uprightly free as some people are more taxed. You get a tax refund if you make less dude. I just know that Africans don't value what they have and often times they see America as a paradise. I wont want to take this further so i would say i prefer my pandol extra while you stick to your Tylenol. God no go shame us. One love dude!

Classic example of “saying nothing, talking loud.”
Godspeed.
Re: Do You Know That You Personally Pay For Ambulance In The US by 9JAFULLBREED(m): 11:54pm On Mar 25, 2022
Here u go.

DrsultanNG:
how did I lie here mr bad lier

1 Like

Re: Do You Know That You Personally Pay For Ambulance In The US by Kelvin3476: 1:40am On Mar 26, 2022
1stGenAmerican:

HE CALLED U A WOMAN EARLIER ON
Re: Do You Know That You Personally Pay For Ambulance In The US by Kelvin3476: 1:43am On Mar 26, 2022
DrsultanNG:
hahaha I don't need your validation baby girl, either you believe it or not that's your business not mine.

The person that share the story first on quora did not lie am unable to upload her pics
U DIDN'T TELL US IT WAS A COPY RIGHT. U ARE AMONG THOSE THAT JUST WANTD TO PAINT AMERICA BLACK

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Do You Know That You Personally Pay For Ambulance In The US by Nobody: 1:35pm On Mar 28, 2022
1stGenAmerican:

I’m not Jackie of All Trades except when it comes to law which I practice. Most of my work is in criminal, family, and immigration law but my scope of knowledge is far beyond that. Regarding medical bills, collections, and credit, I’m well-versed with the US Bankruptcy code. Regarding the other topics, my knowledge includes (but isn’t limited to) patient rights, medical care, rights to treatment, and medical malpractice suits.
I used the example about the Nigerian on a visitor’s visa because I have a medical malpractice win under my belt.
If a person doesn’t have insurance, hospital and ambulance bills can be negotiated down or the patient can choose to pay a very small amount monthly. As long as the small payments are regular, the bills aren’t sent to collections.

Interesting profile. So you're one of those who eke out a living from the complications and complexities of the law. grin
Please note that I don't follow or read all your posts on this platforms, I only try to clear misconceptions which I come across.

That being said as a "learned one" you shouldn't make blanket statements and I have highlighted a few in the past.

1stGenAmerican:

It's spurious that you would include tax refund in that context. There's nothing like tax refund. If you underpay you'll have to pay the balance and if you overpay your taxes you are refunded your balance. That's a standard practice. It's a bad practice to be getting large tax refunds but that a subject I won't get into. Everyone needs to be proactive about taxes.
But look at how you placed it as a defense as if you're getting a benefit from the government. A government that believes nothing in this world can be said to be certain, except death and taxes.
Re: Do You Know That You Personally Pay For Ambulance In The US by 1stGenAmerican(f): 5:08pm On Mar 28, 2022
Studymore123:

Interesting profile. So you're one of those who eke out a living from the complications and complexities of the law. grin
Please note that I don't follow or read all your posts on this platforms, I only try to clear misconceptions which I come across.

That being said as a "learned one" you shouldn't make blanket statements and I have highlighted a few in the past.

It's spurious that you would include tax refund in that context. There's nothing like tax refund. If you underpay you'll have to pay the balance and if you overpay your taxes you are refunded your balance. That's a standard practice. It's a bad practice to be getting large tax refunds but that a subject I won't get into. Everyone needs to be proactive about taxes.
But look at how you placed it as a defense as if you're getting a benefit from the government. A government that believes nothing in this world can be said to be certain, except death and taxes.

Rather than debate things that I’m confident about, let me ask you a few things pertaining to the original subjects.

Perhaps the US government can learn a thing or two from the Nigerian government. Tell me, what does the Nigerian government believe in to benefit it’s citizens? What are benefits guaranteed to all regardless of class? How do taxes benefit the greater good within your country? Can the average earning or even pennilessness citizen receive medical procedures, ambulance transport, etc. and have months or even years to pay? What about the quality of care there? What makes your leaders and others leave the country for medical attention?
Re: Do You Know That You Personally Pay For Ambulance In The US by ednut1(m): 5:14pm On Mar 28, 2022
Cant pay 1700 but wants a home loan. What kind of silly story is this

1 Like 1 Share

(1) (2) (Reply)

Lagos Nigeria Pictures 2022 / LMIA Job In Canada / your Sincere Advice Will Be Appreciated.

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 70
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.