Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,151,870 members, 7,813,964 topics. Date: Tuesday, 30 April 2024 at 10:54 PM

A Call For Alarm: The Fake History Of Ogba And Ekpeye People In Wikipedia - Culture - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Culture / A Call For Alarm: The Fake History Of Ogba And Ekpeye People In Wikipedia (4128 Views)

Ekpeye And Ogba Ethnic Groups Are From Igbo Hinterland / History Of Ikwerre, Ekpeye, Ogba People In Rivers State By Prof. Eric Amadi / Ekpeye Masquerade Festival In Rivers State (Photos) (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

A Call For Alarm: The Fake History Of Ogba And Ekpeye People In Wikipedia by Nobody: 10:24pm On Mar 26, 2022
Good evening, guys. I just discovered that a group of people are editing the history of Ogba and Ekpeye Kingdom on Wikipedia.
We are not an Igbo sub-group.
Our cultural history and folktales since the days of our fathers vehemently said that we are from Benin.

Please, disregard the Wikipedia pages. I don't know the aims of these mischievous elements.

Lalasticlala Mydn44 anyone should help and push this to the front page.

1 Like

Re: A Call For Alarm: The Fake History Of Ogba And Ekpeye People In Wikipedia by donbachi(m): 10:41pm On Mar 26, 2022
Yet,nothing in ogba language dat sounds like benin language.

Make una dey deceive una sef...rivers is 100% ibo.

5 Likes

Re: A Call For Alarm: The Fake History Of Ogba And Ekpeye People In Wikipedia by Nobody: 10:45pm On Mar 26, 2022
donbachi:
Yet,nothing in ogba language dat sounds like benin language.

Make una dey deceive una sef...rivers is 100% ibo.

You will not define who we are. We are a separate ethnic group. It doesn't change our origin. You should be condemning the mischievous elements behind this nonsense. I have been very angry since I read this.

4 Likes

Re: A Call For Alarm: The Fake History Of Ogba And Ekpeye People In Wikipedia by AreaFada2: 2:38am On Mar 27, 2022
CeoMYN:

You will not define who we are. We are a separate ethnic group. It doesn't change our origin. You should be condemning the mischievous elements behind this nonsense. I have been very angry since I read this.

God bless you. I saw the same on Wiki about 3 days ago but I decided that as a non-Ekpeye, it's not my duty to raise it.
I was shocked by how almost every sentence kept repeating that they are Igbo, not Benin or something similar. It ended with saying that Biafra war made Ekpeye to deny their Igboness. A very condescending imperialistic posture.
We all came from somewhere and descended from somewhere. What matters is the identity we have carved out for ourselves today.

4 Likes

Re: A Call For Alarm: The Fake History Of Ogba And Ekpeye People In Wikipedia by donbachi(m): 6:41am On Mar 27, 2022
CeoMYN:

hit head for wall....akalaka migrated to a place from benin and abandoned his father's original language for ibo...which betrayal reach dat.

1 Like

Re: A Call For Alarm: The Fake History Of Ogba And Ekpeye People In Wikipedia by Nobody: 7:55am On Mar 27, 2022
donbachi:
hit head for wall....akalaka migrated to a place from benin and abandoned his father's original language for ibo...which betrayal reach dat.

I will not hit my head anywhere. You are supposed to condemn evil when you see it. You are a human first.
Re: A Call For Alarm: The Fake History Of Ogba And Ekpeye People In Wikipedia by Nobody: 7:58am On Mar 27, 2022
AreaFada2:
God bless you. I saw the same on Wiki about 3 days ago but I decided that as a non-Ekpeye, it's not my duty to raise it.
I was shocked by how almost every sentence kept repeating that they are Igbo, not Benin or something similar. It ended with saying that Biafra war made Ekpeye to deny their Igboness. A very condescending imperialistic posture.
We all came from somewhere and descended from somewhere. What matters is the identity we have carved out for ourselves today.

Everyone I showed it to from my place was visibly angry, very angry. We will take on the matter as best as we can.

The sons and daughters of Ogba and Ekpeye Kingdom were never Igbos. Our ancestors were never Igbos.

3 Likes

Re: A Call For Alarm: The Fake History Of Ogba And Ekpeye People In Wikipedia by ChebeNdigboCalm: 9:32am On Mar 27, 2022
CeoMYN:
Good evening, guys. I just discovered that a group of people are editing the history of Ogba and Ekpeye Kingdom on Wikipedia.
We are not an Igbo sub-group.
Our cultural history and folktales since the days of our fathers vehemently said that we are from Benin.

Please, disregard the Wikipedia pages. I don't know the aims of these mischievous elements.

Lalasticlala Mydn44 anyone should help and push this to the front page.

That’s certainly not good. I don’t like it when people just change Wikipedia pages on a whim. Even if I am of the factual position that Ogba and Ekpeye only could have migrated from Igboland. I do respect your decision to disown your brothers.
Re: A Call For Alarm: The Fake History Of Ogba And Ekpeye People In Wikipedia by Nobody: 10:04am On Mar 27, 2022
ChebeNdigboCalm:

That’s certainly not good. I don’t like it when people just change Wikipedia pages on a whim. Even if I am of the factual position that Ogba and Ekpeye only could have migrated from Igboland. I do respect your decision to disown your brothers.

It's not good at all. It's not even factual. Thank you, sir/ma.
Re: A Call For Alarm: The Fake History Of Ogba And Ekpeye People In Wikipedia by Jameseddi1: 9:08pm On Mar 27, 2022
Igbo and Yoruba seems to swear to destroy Benin legacy.

Even their people said they are from Benin you keep forcing your imagination story to people. Na wa

2 Likes

Re: A Call For Alarm: The Fake History Of Ogba And Ekpeye People In Wikipedia by ChebeNdigboCalm: 2:57am On Mar 29, 2022
Jameseddi1:

Even their people said they are from Benin you keep forcing your imagination story to people. Na wa

As a person passionate about history, I find it odd that someone is arguing about Igbo and Yoruba historians forcing “imagination story on people” when that is in essence what the Oba’s palace has done for the past few decades. As in the make one declaration after another of lies and the people eat it up. They make claims over the land of others and since they have been hyped as great, people with identity crisis flock to the myths laid out despite overwhelming evidence pointing otherwise. You speak a language of someone, bear the names of someone, bear the titles of someone, bear the clothes of someone, bear the genes of someone but them some old fable of a random bini immigrant is enough to disregard everything else.

Not that I condone this Wikipedia edit.

But I am skeptical of claims of Bini ownership of the coast from Lagos to itsekiri. I am skeptical of claims that Eze chima was infact of bini blood. I am skeptical of claims that random Benin princes unknown until 10 seconds ago founded every settlement.

5 Likes

Re: A Call For Alarm: The Fake History Of Ogba And Ekpeye People In Wikipedia by Jameseddi1: 12:53pm On Mar 29, 2022
ChebeNdigboCalm:

As a person passionate about history, I find it odd that someone is arguing about Igbo and Yoruba historians forcing “imagination story on people” when that is in essence what the Oba’s palace has done for the past few decades. As in the make one declaration after another of lies and the people eat it up. They make claims over the land of others and since they have been hyped as great, people with identity crisis flock to the myths laid out despite overwhelming evidence pointing otherwise. You speak a language of someone, bear the names of someone, bear the titles of someone, bear the clothes of someone, bear the genes of someone but them some old fable of a random bini immigrant is enough to disregard everything else.

Not that I condone this Wikipedia edit.

But I am skeptical of claims of Bini ownership of the coast from Lagos to itsekiri. I am skeptical of claims that Eze chima was infact of bini blood. I am skeptical of claims that random Benin princes unknown until 10 seconds ago founded every settlement.

GISTHow The Bini Used And Sold The Igbo as slaves.

Former presidential aide and controversial author, Reno Omokri has narrated the long-standing history between the Binis and the Igbos.

This is coming after a curious fan asked him about a Bini word that sounded like Igbo.

Reno in a long post explained that the Itsekiris and the Binis had Igbo slaves for centuries before British colonialism which brought about the mix of culture as some of the Bini took Igbo-like names and some Igbos also took Bini-like names.

He further added that there are century-old carvings in Ode Itsekiri and Benin depicting Igbo slaves being sold to the Portuguese.

Dear Nonny:

Itsekiris and the Binis had Igbo slaves for centuries before British colonialism. After the British banned slavery, we were forced to set them free. Some of them returned to Igbo land, others remained with us and gradually formed a new language called (an Itsekiri word which we used to call them while they were our slaves). There are about 200,000 still with us. (I will not reveal the name of this tribe called *******, because I do not want to offend them, but they are in Delta state) If they speak, an Igbo person will understand some of what they say, while Itsekiris, Binis and even European Portuguese people will understand them too. Those of them who chose to return to Igbo land have Igbo names that sound like Itsekiri or Benin names, for example Iweka, and many names beginning with Oba or Iken.
That is how some of our names and also Benin names went into the Igbo lexicon. We have century old carvings in Ode Itsekiri and Benin depicting Igbo slaves, which we sold to the Portuguese via our ancient pre colonial port called Ogidigben. The grandfather of the present Oba of Benin showed some of these carvings to the world famous British anthropologist, Sir David Attenborough in 1973. The video is on YouTube. When you see the carving, even you will have no doubt that the person is Igbo. Because of the sheer number of Igbo slaves we sold at Ogidigben, the Portuguese named the town Escravos, which means slave in Portuguese. Till today, many people still call Ogidigben Escravos. We also sold slaves in another town called Burutu, which the Portuguese renamed Forcados (meaning forced labourer, which is a nicer way of saying slaves). Obviously, I am not too proud of this history. I wish it never happened. History is not always pleasant. I am only revealing it to you because you are getting the wrong idea of linkages between our two peoples.

This is Itshekiri claim that it was on of the dependent state of Benin before European arrival to Africa.

Abeg anything about the south history just leave it for Benin.

2 Likes

Re: A Call For Alarm: The Fake History Of Ogba And Ekpeye People In Wikipedia by Nobody: 11:40pm On Mar 29, 2022
Jameseddi1:

I tire o

2 Likes

Re: A Call For Alarm: The Fake History Of Ogba And Ekpeye People In Wikipedia by OFFICIAL336: 11:53am On Apr 03, 2022
Is it possible for someone to migrate from Bini and entirely forgot his ancestral language and start speaking Igbo?

7 Likes 1 Share

Re: A Call For Alarm: The Fake History Of Ogba And Ekpeye People In Wikipedia by Nobody: 11:01am On Apr 05, 2022
OFFICIAL336:
Is it possible for someone to migrate from Bini and entirely forgot his ancestral language and start speaking Igbo?

We don't speak Igbo. We migrated a long time ago and interacted with Ibos via trade and the rest.

2 Likes

Re: A Call For Alarm: The Fake History Of Ogba And Ekpeye People In Wikipedia by Armaggedon: 8:16am On Apr 07, 2022
Benin Igala and Ijaws are the three most deluded ethnic groups in Nigeria.

6 Likes

Re: A Call For Alarm: The Fake History Of Ogba And Ekpeye People In Wikipedia by ChebeNdigboCalm: 2:09pm On Apr 09, 2022
CeoMYN:

We don't speak Igbo. We migrated a long time ago and interacted with Ibos via trade and the rest.

Apart from Ogba isn’t further from central Igbo than other Igbo clans. There is literally not a single reason, why ezza, ikwo, abiriba, Nsukka, should be considered Igbo and Ogba not Igbo. The only valid reason is that they deny the obvious.

2 Likes

Re: A Call For Alarm: The Fake History Of Ogba And Ekpeye People In Wikipedia by ChebeNdigboCalm: 2:11pm On Apr 09, 2022
Jameseddi1:

GISTHow The Bini Used And Sold The Igbo as slaves.

Former presidential aide and controversial author, Reno Omokri has narrated the long-standing history between the Binis and the Igbos.

This is coming after a curious fan asked him about a Bini word that sounded like Igbo.

Reno in a long post explained that the Itsekiris and the Binis had Igbo slaves for centuries before British colonialism which brought about the mix of culture as some of the Bini took Igbo-like names and some Igbos also took Bini-like names.

He further added that there are century-old carvings in Ode Itsekiri and Benin depicting Igbo slaves being sold to the Portuguese.

Dear Nonny:

Itsekiris and the Binis had Igbo slaves for centuries before British colonialism. After the British banned slavery, we were forced to set them free. Some of them returned to Igbo land, others remained with us and gradually formed a new language called (an Itsekiri word which we used to call them while they were our slaves). There are about 200,000 still with us. (I will not reveal the name of this tribe called *******, because I do not want to offend them, but they are in Delta state) If they speak, an Igbo person will understand some of what they say, while Itsekiris, Binis and even European Portuguese people will understand them too. Those of them who chose to return to Igbo land have Igbo names that sound like Itsekiri or Benin names, for example Iweka, and many names beginning with Oba or Iken.
That is how some of our names and also Benin names went into the Igbo lexicon. We have century old carvings in Ode Itsekiri and Benin depicting Igbo slaves, which we sold to the Portuguese via our ancient pre colonial port called Ogidigben. The grandfather of the present Oba of Benin showed some of these carvings to the world famous British anthropologist, Sir David Attenborough in 1973. The video is on YouTube. When you see the carving, even you will have no doubt that the person is Igbo. Because of the sheer number of Igbo slaves we sold at Ogidigben, the Portuguese named the town Escravos, which means slave in Portuguese. Till today, many people still call Ogidigben Escravos. We also sold slaves in another town called Burutu, which the Portuguese renamed Forcados (meaning forced labourer, which is a nicer way of saying slaves). Obviously, I am not too proud of this history. I wish it never happened. History is not always pleasant. I am only revealing it to you because you are getting the wrong idea of linkages between our two peoples.

This is Itshekiri claim that it was on of the dependent state of Benin before European arrival to Africa.

Abeg anything about the south history just leave it for Benin.

I won’t be drawn in to change the topic but if you read - there is no denial in that article that the people spoken about are still Igbo regardless of your perception of their history.

4 Likes

Re: A Call For Alarm: The Fake History Of Ogba And Ekpeye People In Wikipedia by Nobody: 2:32pm On Apr 09, 2022
ChebeNdigboCalm:

Apart from Ogba isn’t further from central Igbo than other Igbo clans. There is literally not a single reason, why ezza, ikwo, abiriba, Nsukka, should be considered Igbo and Ogba not Igbo. The only valid reason is that they deny the obvious.

Chief, you can't force us to be members of your tribe. We are not Ibos. Our cultural history and folktales takes us back to Benin. We are Ogba people, not Ibos!

1 Like

Re: A Call For Alarm: The Fake History Of Ogba And Ekpeye People In Wikipedia by ChebeNdigboCalm: 12:10am On Apr 10, 2022
CeoMYN:

Chief, you can't force us to be members of your tribe. We are not Ibos. Our cultural history and folktales takes us back to Benin. We are Ogba people, not Ibos!

Indeed I can’t force anything. It is a matter of fact. You don’t choose the truth. It is something that is ascertained on the academic level. But on the social level I can accept that YOU can decide to identify as not Igbo. Doesn’t mean I will start lying and make it seem like it is academically accurate.

3 Likes 1 Share

Re: A Call For Alarm: The Fake History Of Ogba And Ekpeye People In Wikipedia by Nobody: 6:52am On Apr 10, 2022
ChebeNdigboCalm:

Indeed I can’t force anything. It is a matter of fact. You don’t choose the truth. It is something that is ascertained on the academic level. But on the social level I can accept that YOU can decide to identify as not Igbo. Doesn’t mean I will start lying and make it seem like it is academically accurate.

You are the one who choose not to accept the Truth. Not academically accurate? You are very funny. Stop lying to yourself, it's my own tribe. Ogba is my own tribe and our written and spoken history takes us back to Benin.

1 Like

Re: A Call For Alarm: The Fake History Of Ogba And Ekpeye People In Wikipedia by ChebeNdigboCalm: 6:35pm On Apr 13, 2022
CeoMYN:

You are the one who choose not to accept the Truth. Not academically accurate? You are very funny. Stop lying to yourself, it's my own tribe. Ogba is my own tribe and our written and spoken history takes us back to Benin.

“Written” Ok.

I ain’t going in circles. You win.
Re: A Call For Alarm: The Fake History Of Ogba And Ekpeye People In Wikipedia by Xbobtage: 9:19pm On Apr 21, 2022
CeoMYN:

My friend and fellow Rivers Broda, you have done right by yourself by speaking up against what you personally believe is wrongly put up about the Ogba people, and you shouldnt allow anyone to bully you into changing your opinion about what you believe are.

Nigeria is a developing country, our children are forming opinions based on what they read on nairaland, years from now if this site continues to remain few years from now, then this article will also remain as well and if there is no balanced and an unbiased position to your headline, then the contents of this thread will be taken as the word of God.

So here is my opinion and probably thoughts to your thoughts. While you have the right to say You yourself as an ogba man is not an igbo man, You cant start speaking for all ogba people, you're not the appointed spokesperson for Ogbaland. Some ogba people identify with their igbo root. In the 80s there was a popular politician from your place by the name Frank something (cant remember), who was being asked by some other politicians to desist from calling himself an igbo man, the man refused and stood his ground, insisting that he is an igboman. There are alot of people in ogbaland who have no problem being called igbo people, afterall they are already bearing the names and speaking the language and practicing the culture. Moreover Igbo people are people just like any other people you find in nigeria, They dont have leprosy, neither will anyone be struck down by lightening simply because they accepted that they are an igbo person.

Im sure you get my point.

3 Likes

Re: A Call For Alarm: The Fake History Of Ogba And Ekpeye People In Wikipedia by Nobody: 9:25pm On Apr 21, 2022
Xbobtage:

My friend and fellow Rivers Broda, you have done right by yourself by speaking up against what you personally believe is wrongly put up about the Ogba people, and you shouldnt allow anyone to bully you into changing your opinion about what you believe are.

Nigeria is a developing country, our children are forming opinions based on what they read on nairaland, years from now if this site continues to remain few years from now, then this article will also remain as well and if there is no balanced and an unbiased position to your headline, then the contents of this thread will be taken as the word of God.

So here is my opinion and probably thoughts to your thoughts. While you have the right to say You yourself as an ogba man is not an igbo man, You cant start speaking for all ogba people, you're not the appointed spokesperson for Ogbaland. Some ogba people identify with their igbo root. In the 80s there was a popular politician from your place by the name Frank something (cant remember), who was being asked by some other politicians to desist from calling himself an igbo man, the man refused and stood his ground, insisting that he is an igboman. There are alot of people in ogbaland who have no problem being called igbo people, afterall they are already bearing the names and speaking the language and practicing the culture. Moreover Igbo people are people just like any other people you find in nigeria, They dont have leprosy, neither will anyone be struck down by lightening simply because they accepted that they are an igbo person.

Im sure you get my point.

We in Ogba land have a name for Igbo people, indicating that we are not Igbos.

We are speaking out because Igbos keep claiming that we are part of them.

3 Likes

Re: A Call For Alarm: The Fake History Of Ogba And Ekpeye People In Wikipedia by Xbobtage: 12:50pm On Apr 22, 2022
CeoMYN:

We in Ogba land have a name for Igbo people, indicating that we are not Igbos.

We are speaking out because Igbos keep claiming that we are part of them.

Actually that is a wrong way to judge. The people from Owerri/Uratta Area of Imo state call igbo people ndi Isuoma...Are u saying the owerri people are not igbo people too?

2 Likes

Re: A Call For Alarm: The Fake History Of Ogba And Ekpeye People In Wikipedia by Nobody: 12:51pm On Apr 22, 2022
Xbobtage:

Actually that is a wrong way to judge. The people from Owerri/Uratta Area of Imo state call igbo people ndi Isuoma...Are u saying the owerri people are not igbo people too?

No. Our history says we are from Benin. Nothing less.

3 Likes

Re: A Call For Alarm: The Fake History Of Ogba And Ekpeye People In Wikipedia by otokx(m): 7:08pm On Apr 22, 2022
When they speak, they speak their native tongue.

1 Like

Re: A Call For Alarm: The Fake History Of Ogba And Ekpeye People In Wikipedia by SlayerForever: 12:58pm On May 26, 2022
Armaggedon:
Benin Igala and Ijaws are the three most deluded ethnic groups in Nigeria.

You can say that again
Re: A Call For Alarm: The Fake History Of Ogba And Ekpeye People In Wikipedia by SlayerForever: 1:00pm On May 26, 2022
[s]
CeoMYN:

[/s]

Shut up.

1 Like

Re: A Call For Alarm: The Fake History Of Ogba And Ekpeye People In Wikipedia by Nobody: 1:23pm On May 26, 2022
SlayerForever:
[s][/s]

Shut up.

Slayer, no slay me o
Re: A Call For Alarm: The Fake History Of Ogba And Ekpeye People In Wikipedia by SlayerForever: 2:03pm On May 26, 2022
CeoMYN:

Slayer, no slay me o

Lol. Ogba man how is Omoku.
Re: A Call For Alarm: The Fake History Of Ogba And Ekpeye People In Wikipedia by Nobody: 2:54pm On May 26, 2022
SlayerForever:

Lol. Ogba man how is Omoku.

Omoku dey well o. What of your side?

(1) (2) (Reply)

Do Yoruba Men Easily Leave Their Childless Women? / Names And Titles Of The 32 New Ibadan Obas / Onyibos 'discover' Ifa

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 62
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.