Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,320 members, 7,815,617 topics. Date: Thursday, 02 May 2024 at 03:20 PM

Ekpeye And Ogba Ethnic Groups Are From Igbo Hinterland - Culture - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Culture / Ekpeye And Ogba Ethnic Groups Are From Igbo Hinterland (4141 Views)

Pictures From Igbo-Ora Twins Festival 2022 / A Call For Alarm: The Fake History Of Ogba And Ekpeye People In Wikipedia / Ekpeye Masquerade Festival In Rivers State (Photos) (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

Ekpeye And Ogba Ethnic Groups Are From Igbo Hinterland by Abagworo(m): 8:54pm On Aug 06, 2020
I read recently a debate about Ikwerre ethnic group originating from Benin and in that process someone mentioned Ekpeye and Ogba as being brothers with Ikwerre even though that was a recent hypothesis based on the tradition of origin of Ekpeye and Ogba which stated that Akalaka their common ancestor had a third son whose whereabouts was unknown. Some Ikwerre 3rd columnists therefore tried to claim Ihuruoha as that lost son in order to justify a recently conceived story of Benin origin.

Back to the topic of the day here is history of Ekpeye as written by Usama Ekpeye the Ekpeye cultural organization and my use of same to prove Crossriver Igbo ancestry.

EKPEYE IS NOT IGBO.

There is no need for too much debate as I refer you all to www.usama-ekpeye.org for a very short history of Ekpeye people.

Ekpeye and Ogba are brothers and have their origins from Benin.

Unless someone can proof this historical origin of the Ancestors of Francis Ellah and Chibudom Nwuche to be wrong, or proof that the Oba of Benin or his Ancestors are Igbos, then please let it be clear to all that Ekpeye and Ogba people are not Igbos.

Ekpeye has it's distinct dialect that cannot be mistaken for any variant of the Igbo language. For example, God in Igbo is Chineke but in Ekpeye it is Ebilikpabi.

Some Ekpeye people may understand and speak Igbo or even bear some Igbo names, but that is mainly because a lot of Igbo people lived in Ahoada/Ekpeyeland and still do till this day. For example, half of my father's compound in Ahoada town was occupied by Igbo tenants and thus the interaction was intense and so was the culture mix; but that does not mean that Ahoada people are Igbos.

Furthermore, as Emeka Okala already stated, during the Eastern Region era, the Igbo language was taught at schools and at Sunday schools to the extent that in the main church in Ahoada - St. Paul's Church Ahoada (now Cathedral), sermons were usually interpreted in Igbo and beside the English Hymns Ancient and Modern, we also had the Igbo prayer and song book - 'Ekpere Na Abu' .

Also, although some Ekpeye names may sound like Igbo names, they do not always have the same meaning. For example, my family name Echikwa to an Igbo man means 'Tomorrow too' but in Ekpeye, its meaning is 'Do not pursue'.

However, the Ekpeye people are always very welcoming and will welcome our Igbo friends at anytime.

While we discuss Ekpeye people, let me also use this opportunity to extend our warm invitation to all to attend USAMA EKPEYE's 8th Annual Convention and fund raising gala night taking place at Jackson, Tennessee

Ekpeye was the first of the three sons of Akalaka who migrated from Benin Kingdom in the 15th Century. He was born in Benin (Edo) and married a Benin girl called Iyavaeme. He lived permanently at their last settlement (Olube) now called Ula-Ubie.

At Ulobe, his wife bore him four male children namely Ubie, Akoh, Okobo and Upata. As the first son of a great general, Ubie was brought up also as a warrior, a brave hunter, a notorious herbalist, a farmer, a trader, a juju priest and all other attributes of a great man. He was the Nye-so-eja-eleof Ulobe and the chief priest of his father, Akalaka shrine Ogbolo now Ogbolo-Imaji brought from Benin.

1 The name Ekpeye is also Ekpafia or Ekpa afia which translates to bush bag. The Igbos further in call them "Akpa ofia" or "Akpa Ohia".

2 The name Ogba is extremely common in Crossriver Igbo and it means hunter. The name Akalaka is a common title in Crossriver Igbo and means destiny. By Crossriver Igbo I mean Igbos living by the bank of Crossriver in Abia and Ebonyi States. Example include Afikpo, Arochukwu, Abiriba, Abam and Ohafia.

3 In a bid to proclaim a difference with Igbo the author tried to claim Igbos called God Chineke whereas Ekpeye called God Ebilikpabi but that's a wrong claim. Igbos originally called God Orisa, Olisa, Olise, Orise and also shortened it to Osa or Ose at times which makes the original Igbo name for God identical to Bini but Ekpeye originating from Crossriver made use of the God there known as Chukwu or Ubiniukpabi. Chineke was adopted by Christians and used across Igboland including Ekpeye. The origin of the God Chineke is Oboama/Umunama Mbaise. Common names used for God in Igbo which people also bear as surname are Orisa, Chineke, Ukpabi, Obasi, Igwe, Amadi and Chukwu. Ukpabi, Obasi and Chukwu originate from Crossriver Igbo whereas Igwekala and Amadioha were established by Crossriver Igbos at Ozuzu Etche and Umunoha Mbaitoli.

The aim of this thread is to enlighten people on clarify some controversy in recent miseducation of new generation

6 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Ekpeye And Ogba Ethnic Groups Are From Igbo Hinterland by obiekunie2: 9:01pm On Aug 06, 2020
when will these wankers understand that NDI IGBO DON'T GIVE A Bleep ABOUT ANY FUCKER WHO CLAIMS NOT TO BE IGBO!

IF YOU DONT WANT TO BE RECOGNIZED AS IGBO - GOOD AND FINE! WE DON'T CARE!

BUT PLS WHN YOU GO CAUSING PROBLEMS - DONT COME AND CLAIM TO BE IGBO AND END UP CAUSING THE DEATH OF MORE THAN 3 MILLION REAL IGBOS!!

5 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Ekpeye And Ogba Ethnic Groups Are From Igbo Hinterland by sageb: 9:18pm On Aug 06, 2020
Nice one my fellow Riverian, we cannot be deceived by their propaganda.

2 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Ekpeye And Ogba Ethnic Groups Are From Igbo Hinterland by Igboid: 9:39pm On Aug 06, 2020
You are wrong.

Ogba are Bini, likewise Ekpeye.
They should do well to go and learn Bini language and leave the current Igbo ones they have alone.

5 Likes

Re: Ekpeye And Ogba Ethnic Groups Are From Igbo Hinterland by ChangedMan1999(m): 11:01pm On Aug 06, 2020
cry

There are tribes in Africa who are claiming that their ancestors sprung from the earth.

There are tribes who claim their ancestors fell from above.

With this claims, don't you think that some stories of migration may be somehow wrong.

Lets settle all this through DNA test.

Like, we will do one in a lab.

Compare it with the results of another.

To conclude finally, we will go to another lab and compare the three results.

2 Likes

Re: Ekpeye And Ogba Ethnic Groups Are From Igbo Hinterland by Abagworo(m): 11:03pm On Aug 06, 2020
obiekunie2:
when will these wankers understand that NDI IGBO DON'T GIVE A Bleep ABOUT ANY FUCKER WHO CLAIMS NOT TO BE IGBO!

IF YOU DONT WANT TO BE RECOGNIZED AS IGBO - GOOD AND FINE! WE DON'T CARE!

BUT PLS WHN YOU GO CAUSING PROBLEMS - DONT COME AND CLAIM TO BE IGBO AND END UP CAUSING THE DEATH OF MORE THAN 3 MILLION REAL IGBOS!!

Elders should not keep quiet when something that might affect future history is upturned. The aim of this thread is for intellectual purpose and also giving a choice for future reference. Ekpeye doesn't really speak Igbo language but a different language very similar to Igbo.

7 Likes

Re: Ekpeye And Ogba Ethnic Groups Are From Igbo Hinterland by obiekunie2: 11:54pm On Aug 06, 2020
Abagworo:

[s]Elders should not keep quiet when something that might affect future history is upturned. The aim of this thread is for intellectual purpose and also giving a choice for future reference. Ekpeye doesn't really speak Igbo language but a different language very similar to Igbo.[/s]

who cares??

4 Likes

Re: Ekpeye And Ogba Ethnic Groups Are From Igbo Hinterland by iObEy(m): 2:42am On Aug 07, 2020
Abagworo:
I read recently a debate about Ikwerre ethnic group originating from Benin and in that process someone mentioned Ekpeye and Ogba as being brothers with Ikwerre even though that was a recent hypothesis based on the tradition of origin of Ekpeye and Ogba which stated that Akalaka their common ancestor had a third son whose whereabouts was unknown. Some Ikwerre 3rd columnists therefore tried to claim Ihuruoha as that lost son in order to justify a recently conceived story of Benin origin.

Back to the topic of the day here is history of Ekpeye as written by Usama Ekpeye the Ekpeye cultural organization and my use of same to prove Crossriver Igbo ancestry.

EKPEYE IS NOT IGBO.

There is no need for too much debate as I refer you all to www.usama-ekpeye.org for a very short history of Ekpeye people.

Unless someone can proof this historical origin of the Ancestors of Francis Ellah and Chibudom Nwuche to be wrong, or proof that the Oba of Benin or his Ancestors are Igbos, then please let it be clear to all that Ekpeye and Ogba people are not Igbos.

Ekpeye has it's distinct dialect that cannot be mistaken for any variant of the Igbo language. For example, God in Igbo is Chineke but in Ekpeye it is Ebilikpabi.

Some Ekpeye people may understand and speak Igbo or even bear some Igbo names, but that is mainly because a lot of Igbo people lived in Ahoada/Ekpeyeland and still do till this day. For example, half of my father's compound in Ahoada town was occupied by Igbo tenants and thus the interaction was intense and so was the culture mix; but that does not mean that Ahoada people are Igbos.

Furthermore, as Emeka Okala already stated, during the Eastern Region era, the Igbo language was taught at schools and at Sunday schools to the extent that in the main church in Ahoada - St. Paul's Church Ahoada (now Cathedral), sermons were usually interpreted in Igbo and beside the English Hymns Ancient and Modern, we also had the Igbo prayer and song book - 'Ekpere Na Abu' .

Also, although some Ekpeye names may sound like Igbo names, they do not always have the same meaning. For example, my family name Echikwa to an Igbo man means 'Tomorrow too' but in Ekpeye, its meaning is 'Do not pursue'.

However, the Ekpeye people are always very welcoming and will welcome our Igbo friends at anytime.

While we discuss Ekpeye people, let me also use this opportunity to extend our warm invitation to all to attend USAMA EKPEYE's 8th Annual Convention and fund raising gala night taking place at Jackson, Tennessee

Ekpeye was the first of the three sons of Akalaka who migrated from Benin Kingdom in the 15th Century. He was born in Benin (Edo) and married a Benin girl called Iyavaeme. He lived permanently at their last settlement (Olube) now called Ula-Ubie.

At Ulobe, his wife bore him four male children namely Ubie, Akoh, Okobo and Upata. As the first son of a great general, Ubie was brought up also as a warrior, a brave hunter, a notorious herbalist, a farmer, a trader, a juju priest and all other attributes of a great man. He was the Nye-so-eja-eleof Ulobe and the chief priest of his father, Akalaka shrine Ogbolo now Ogbolo-Imaji brought from Benin.

1 The name Ekpeye is also Ekpafia or Ekpa afia which translates to bush bag. The Igbos further in call them "Akpa ofia" or "Akpa Ohia".

2 The name Ogba is extremely common in Crossriver Igbo and it means hunter. The name Akalaka is a common title in Crossriver Igbo and means destiny. By Crossriver Igbo I mean Igbos living by the bank of Crossriver in Abia and Ebonyi States. Example include Afikpo, Arochukwu, Abiriba, Abam and Ohafia.

3 In a bid to proclaim a difference with Igbo the author tried to claim Igbos called God Chineke whereas Ekpeye called God Ebilikpabi but that's a wrong claim. Igbos originally called God Orisa, Olisa, Olise, Orise and also shortened it to Osa or Ose at times which makes the original Igbo name for God identical to Bini but Ekpeye originating from Crossriver made use of the God there known as Chukwu or Ubiniukpabi. Chineke was adopted by Christians and used across Igboland including Ekpeye. The origin of the God Chineke is Oboama/Umunama Mbaise. Common names used for God in Igbo which people also bear as surname are Orisa, Chineke, Ukpabi, Obasi, Igwe, Amadi and Chukwu. Ukpabi, Obasi and Chukwu originate from Crossriver Igbo whereas Igwekala and Amadioha were established by Crossriver Igbos at Ozuzu Etche and Umunoha Mbaitoli.

The aim of this thread is to enlighten people on clarify some controversy in recent miseducation of new generation

All these Igbo wahala... Make people rest abeg. Everything Igbo, Igbo... Na was o

1 Like

Re: Ekpeye And Ogba Ethnic Groups Are From Igbo Hinterland by B2mario(m): 3:29pm On Aug 07, 2020
Abagworo:

EKPEYE IS NOT IGBO.

Nice one bro., Fact with point.
Re: Ekpeye And Ogba Ethnic Groups Are From Igbo Hinterland by Emilokoiyawon: 12:29am On Aug 08, 2020
Nonsense. Ekpeyes are bonafide Igbos. If Ekpeyes are not Igbo then Abakaliki is not Igbo. All these children born yesterday will just come online and be writing rubbish. I no blame u na. The elders have failed in their duties to teach you sense.

4 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Ekpeye And Ogba Ethnic Groups Are From Igbo Hinterland by Xenowerk4000(m): 3:12pm On Aug 08, 2020
Leave Ogba and Ekpeye people alone ooh !!

4 Likes 3 Shares

Re: Ekpeye And Ogba Ethnic Groups Are From Igbo Hinterland by bigfrancis21: 9:59pm On Aug 09, 2020
I wouldn’t consider Ekpeye to be Igbo. Their language or ‘dialect’ is too divergent from the Igbo cluster to be regarded as an Igbo dialect but rather an Igboid language of its own (a stand-alone language with significant or foundational Igbo influence). Ogba Igbo is somewhat closer to be classified as an Igbo dialect but politically, the people are very anti-Igbo and they deserve to identify so how they choose to.

6 Likes

Re: Ekpeye And Ogba Ethnic Groups Are From Igbo Hinterland by BabaRamota1980: 8:17am On Aug 15, 2020
Abagworo:

EKPEYE IS NOT IGBO.

Abagworo, i like your posts. Educative and well composed. Anyone coming in with confusion will leave informed and with clarity. As always, good job bro!

1 Like

Re: Ekpeye And Ogba Ethnic Groups Are From Igbo Hinterland by VitaYoung: 8:58am On Aug 18, 2020
Abagworo:

EKPEYE IS NOT IGBO.

Ogba and Ekpeye are said to be descendants of Akalaka who is said to have sojourned in the Benin Kingdom. The Ekpeye Language is very distinct from even the Ogba Dialect. The Ekpeye language appears to be ancient and could have been a remnant of the Proto-Igbo Language along with the Igboid languages of some parts of Ebonyi State....

Another thing that supports a possible Cross River Igbo connection is the presence of Ebiriba in Ekpeye. There is also an Abiriba (pronounced Ebiriba) in Abia State. The word "Ebilikpabi" which is the supposed Ekpeye word for God, is similar to "Ibinukpabi" of the Aro. Also, some Ohafia traditions suggest an eastwards migration from Benin too.

It may be possible that there was an Aboriginal Ekpeye speaking people who lived in the area before the arrival of Akalaka from Benin . Akalaka's descendants, with the experiences from Benin may have instituted the monarchy and governed the Ekpeye while the other founded Ogba.

The Ekpeye Language is marginally intelligible with most Igbo dialects. The Ogba Dialect is similar to West Igbo And Riverine Igbo Dialects...

As for Ikwerre, there was actually a proto Ikwerre group which was an offshoot of the ancient Ekpeye. Later in history, some Ogba people and more Ekpeye as well as some people from the hinterland Igbo joined to give what is called today Ikwerre.....

All these are History.....
Since it is the consensus decision of these groups to be recognized and regarded as distinct ethnic minorites, I think everyone should respect their wish.
Everyone or group has the right to self determination and so Ikwerre, Ogba And Ekpeye should be given such rights..... Belgium is French speaking but not French. Austria is German speaking but not German. America is English speaking but not English. Mexico is Spanish speaking but not Spanish....

I think we should respect that....

My own problem with these groups, especially my very own Ikwerre is the distortion of history, telling lies, sowing seeds of hatred, denying facts , just to prove we are distinct...... It's not good...

The Itsekiri did not distort history to maintain their status as a distinct minority.
The Isoko didn't do so to differ from the Urhobo, neither did the Efik or Annang....

8 Likes

Re: Ekpeye And Ogba Ethnic Groups Are From Igbo Hinterland by OruExpress: 6:09pm On Aug 18, 2020
Everyone with an education knows these Igbo people are Igbo.

3 Likes

Re: Ekpeye And Ogba Ethnic Groups Are From Igbo Hinterland by LadySarah: 9:39pm On Aug 18, 2020
We don't care. Let them be. Our strength is not in our numbers.

1 Like

Re: Ekpeye And Ogba Ethnic Groups Are From Igbo Hinterland by Nobody: 9:55pm On Aug 18, 2020
OruExpress:
Everyone with an education knows these Igbo people are Igbo.

They are not

1 Like

Re: Ekpeye And Ogba Ethnic Groups Are From Igbo Hinterland by Abagworo(m): 11:52pm On Oct 28, 2020
VitaYoung:

As for Ikwerre, there was actually a proto Ikwerre group which was an offshoot of the ancient Ekpeye. Later in history, some Ogba people and more Ekpeye as well as some people from the hinterland Igbo joined to give what is called today Ikwerre.....

The proto Ikwerre isn't any offshoot of Ekpeye even though they all migrated from Crossriver. The father of Ikwerre ethnic group is Okpo Wagidi from Ama-Okpo in present day Ikwo LGA of Ebonyi State. He left Ikwo to consult Arochukwu Oracle "Ubini Ukpabi" with a large entourage after being falsely accused of sacrilege and vowed never to return or be sold into slavery. He migrated Southwards with Aro slave traders to present day Etche LGA in Rivers State where he stayed until the people felt his people were growing too large in population and allowed them cross over Chokocho to settle on virgin land. Okpo moved till he got stuck at the waterside and it was from there his entourage dispersed to found other Ikwerre communities. Ikwerre is actually Ikwo-ere meaning Ikwo can't sell us. Igbere in Abia State has similar story as they moved from Etche in present day Rivers State to present day Bende LGA in Abia State. They are descendants of Ebiri Okomoko in Etche. Igbere is actually Igbo-ere meaning Igbo can't sell us. If anyone doubts this history he should visit Etche in Rivers State and Ikwo in Ebonyi State.

Till date the Aro maintain their stay in part of Ishiokpo and are called Azumini by the Okpo descendants.

6 Likes 4 Shares

Re: Ekpeye And Ogba Ethnic Groups Are From Igbo Hinterland by Eastlink(m): 12:18am On Oct 29, 2020
Abagworo:

The proto Ikwerre isn't any offshoot of Ekpeye even though they all migrated from Crossriver. The father of Ikwerre ethnic group is Okpo Wagidi from Ama-Okpo in present day Ikwo LGA of Ebonyi State. He left Ikwo to consult Arochukwu Oracle with a large entourage after being falsely accused of sactiledge and vowed never to return or be sold into slavery. He migrated Southwards with Aro slave traders to present day Etche LGA in Rivers State where he stayed until the people felt his people were growing too large in population and allowed them cross over Chokocho to settle on virgin land. Okpo moved till he got stuck at the waterside and it was from there his entouraged dispersed to found other Ikwerre communities. Ikwerre is actually Ikwo-ere meaning Ikwo can't sell us. Igbere in Abia State has similar story as they moved from Etche in present day Rivers State to present day Bende LGA in Abia State. They are descendants of Ebiri Okomoko in Etche. Igbere is actually Igbo-ere meaning Igbo can't sell us. If anyone doubts this history he should visit Etche in Rivers State and Ikwo in Ebonyi State.
Nobody is doubting anything. All you said s the truth about the Ikwerre. Even Okrika too have shades of Aro, Abam etc in them. Ikwerre history is Aro, anything added is faulty. Some of us believe the Osu caste system and slavery championed by the Aro made the Ikwerre people Igbophobic.

3 Likes 1 Share

Re: Ekpeye And Ogba Ethnic Groups Are From Igbo Hinterland by Etinosa1234: 6:00pm On Oct 29, 2020
VitaYoung:

Ogba and Ekpeye are said to be descendants of Akalaka who is said to have sojourned in the Benin Kingdom. The Ekpeye Language is very distinct from even the Ogba Dialect. The Ekpeye language appears to be ancient and could have been a remnant of the Proto-Igbo Language along with the Igboid languages of some parts of Ebonyi State....

Another thing that supports a possible Cross River Igbo connection is the presence of Ebiriba in Ekpeye. There is also an Abiriba (pronounced Ebiriba) in Abia State. The word "Ebilikpabi" which is the supposed Ekpeye word for God, is similar to "Ibinukpabi" of the Aro. Also, some Ohafia traditions suggest an eastwards migration from Benin too.

It may be possible that there was an Aboriginal Ekpeye speaking people who lived in the area before the arrival of Akalaka from Benin . Akalaka's descendants, with the experiences from Benin may have instituted the monarchy and governed the Ekpeye while the other founded Ogba.

The Ekpeye Language is marginally intelligible with most Igbo dialects. The Ogba Dialect is similar to West Igbo And Riverine Igbo Dialects...

Since it is the consensus decision of these groups to be recognized and regarded as distinct ethnic minorites, I think everyone should respect their wish.
Everyone or group has the right to self determination and so Ikwerre, Ogba And Ekpeye should be given such rights..... Belgium is French speaking but not French. Austria is German speaking but not German. America is English speaking but not English. Mexico is Spanish speaking but not Spanish....

I think we should respect that....

My own problem with these groups, especially my very own Ikwerre is the distortion of history, telling lies, sowing seeds of hatred, denying facts , just to prove we are distinct...... It's not good...

The Itsekiri did not distort history to maintain their status as a distinct minority.
The Isoko didn't do so to differ from the Urhobo, neither did the Efik or Annang....

Prolly they must have their reasons for dissociating themselves from Igbos.

If majority of them claim not to originate from Igbo, then we should respect their opinion

Nice post I must say

1 Like

Re: Ekpeye And Ogba Ethnic Groups Are From Igbo Hinterland by IDENNAA(m): 7:44pm On Oct 29, 2020
Etinosa1234:

Prolly they must have their reasons for dissociating themselves from Igbos.

If majority of them claim not to originate from Igbo, then we should respect their opinion

Nice post I must say

Omonoba...lol. What are you doing here ?

Cc. Etinosa1234

What reasons are you looking for ? Igbo are criminals abi ? Igbo are buying up their lands ? Igbo forced their language on Ikwerre ? Igbos are forcing them to marry Igbo chics? Pick your choice... grin

1 Like

Re: Ekpeye And Ogba Ethnic Groups Are From Igbo Hinterland by michelz: 7:51pm On Oct 29, 2020
The author can write from now till tomorrow but the fact still remains that Ekpeye is Igbo and Igbo is Ekpeye. The same blood that flows through an anambra nan also flows through an Ekpeye man.
If you bear a name that sounds Igbo,dress like Igbo,behave like Igbo,look like Igbo, the names of your villages sound Igbo and you have Igbo customs and traditions, then you something must be wrong with you if you need to be told you're Igbo.

3 Likes

Re: Ekpeye And Ogba Ethnic Groups Are From Igbo Hinterland by nengibo: 7:58pm On Oct 29, 2020
I was in a Keke
With an Ekpeye man when the ban of Ipob came up, the man dislike Ibo pass Hausa sef, the truth is everyone is for self determination and not to be subjugated by the Wazobia tribes, the earlier ipob learns this, the better

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: Ekpeye And Ogba Ethnic Groups Are From Igbo Hinterland by Abagworo(m): 9:41pm On Oct 29, 2020
nengibo:
I was in a Keke
With an Ekpeye man when the ban of Ipob came up, the man dislike Ibo pass Hausa sef, the truth is everyone is for self determination and not to be subjugated by the Wazobia tribes, the earlier ipob learns this, the better

Most of those dislikes are just natural clannishness exaggerated by Biafran war. Among Igbos the clans are naturally separated but war pressure caused survival denial especially in Rivers State. With the present situation in Oyigbo LGA don't be surprised if suddenly they denounce Igbo to escape the wrath of rampaging soldiers. It starts by claiming the IPOB members are not from their communities then next IPOB consists of only Igbos from Southeast then followed by I am not Igbo. It's a survival strategy in Nigeria

6 Likes 1 Share

Re: Ekpeye And Ogba Ethnic Groups Are From Igbo Hinterland by Etinosa1234: 10:18am On Oct 30, 2020
IDENNAA:

Omonoba...lol. What are you doing here ?

Cc. Etinosa1234

What reasons are you looking for ? Igbo are criminals abi ? Igbo are buying up their lands ? Igbo forced their language on Ikwerre ? Igbos are forcing them to marry Igbo chics? Pick your choice... grin

Read to understand not to reply... Those people claim not to be Igbo. Can't u just leave them let them be
Aren't u self sufficient without them?

1 Like

Re: Ekpeye And Ogba Ethnic Groups Are From Igbo Hinterland by Etinosa1234: 10:22am On Oct 30, 2020
Tbh i Don't see why Igbo with a population of 40million have problems with a smaller tribe that refuses to associate with them

3 Likes

Re: Ekpeye And Ogba Ethnic Groups Are From Igbo Hinterland by Abagworo(m): 9:59pm On Nov 18, 2020
An Ekpeye scholar has come up with a claim that could disorganize several decades old historic and academic studies. In his book he has affirmed a claim of autochthony for Ekpeye amd ascribing parts of Igboland to original Ekpeye speakers. Based on my knowledge of the areas he claimed there is similarity but then everything still boils down to Crossriver area of Ebonyi State and Abia State as origin. Ikwerre for example is most appropriately an offshoot of Ikwo in Ebonyi that moved to Arochukwu for consultation then followed the Aro people to Etche where they lived before moving on to found separate settlement at Isiokpo. The movement is verifiable both from the Aro tales to the Etche chronicles. Aros still have a big settlement beside Isiokpo and are called Azumini not Isoma used for other Igbos. Aros also established the Amadioha or Kamalu shrine at Ozuzu in Etche as well as the Igwekali shrine at Umunoha in Mbaitoli. What will be interesting in this book is how the Ekpeye Scholar will ascribe Aro to Ekpeye origin and then claim most of the Aro influences as Ekpeye influence however the most interesting is that he has debunked the Benin origin ascribed to Akalaka all these years. Akaraka is a common title/name in Arochukwu area and means destiny while Oha is an Igbo term for "the people" but used more as a title in the Owerri and Ikwerre area which he claims spoke Ekpeye in the past. I've not heard of Oha in Delta Igbo but rather Ikenga which is linked to Nri culture just like Ozo title.

EKPEYE LANGUAGE IS NOT IGBO/IGBOID.

In 2011, Prof Ohiri-Aniche claimed that she compared EKPEYE and IGBO, and that she found a mutual understanding of 76% and that therefore EKPEYE is more or less an IGBO dialect. When I read this, I suspected that the Prof had MISQUOTED HERSELF.

Ekpeye is neither an IGBO dialect nor an IGBOID language. It's a language at the same classificatory level as Yoruba, Igbo and Edo. It is the last FULL survivor of the Akalakoid language Family, which was once spoken in places such as AROCHUKWU (Abia state), UMUNOHA (Imo state) and all of what is today "DELTA IBO".

In comparing two languages, linguists use a Standard List of Words (Basic Wordlist), and test how much a native speaker, who has no knowledge of the other, will understand, without help, if the list is read to him/her in the other language. If mutual understanding is above 80%, the 2 speeches are DIALECTS of ONE language; if 35%-80%, they are DIFFERENT LANGUAGES but of ONE Family; but if less than 35%, they are DIFFERENT FAMILIES. (These percentages are not cast in stone, of course.)

When I re-compared with Prof Ohiri-Aniche's Own Data, I found that the Mutual Understanding between EKPEYE and IGBO is 30%. If anyone applies the required strictness, including verbal pronunciation of the list, they will get about 20-25%. Prof Ohiri-Aniche's 76% certainly did not derive from the data in her own hands.

EKPEYE, IKWERRE & OGBA formed one separate Language Family till c. 1850 when the later two admitted Igbo speakers/influence in significant number. Ekpeye refused to do so. In fact, even as recently as 1966, according to John Picton, author of the 1988 seminal work on Ekpeye masks, the illiterate segment of Ekpeye society decribed any FOREIGN cultural element as IGBO.

All those who classify EKPEYE as IGBO or IGBOID are in grave error. They do not report the ACTUAL FACTS they have. They merely report their personal wish for some obscure reason.

1 Like

Re: Ekpeye And Ogba Ethnic Groups Are From Igbo Hinterland by OruExpress: 6:07am On Nov 30, 2020
Abagworo:

EKPEYE IS NOT IGBO.

Ebilikpabi = Ibini Ukpabi = Arochukwu Oracle lol.
https://www.pulse.ng/lifestyle/food-travel/arochukwu-long-juju-a-brief-walk-into-a-forgotten-temple-of-judgment/5w7fypr

I think there should be an investigation into the level of education in Rivers State. It's the only place where this 'mentality' is strong.

2 Likes 2 Shares

(1) (2) (Reply)

IGALA Cultural Thread / I Need Someone To Teach Me Yoruba Badly / Osun Osogbo Pagan Shrine

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 155
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.