Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,156,383 members, 7,829,997 topics. Date: Thursday, 16 May 2024 at 02:43 PM

Who Knew Judge Joe Brown Is Yoruba - Foreign Affairs - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Foreign Affairs / Who Knew Judge Joe Brown Is Yoruba (317 Views)

Sacked Zimbabwean President, Robert Mugabe: 10 Things You Never Knew About Him (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply)

Who Knew Judge Joe Brown Is Yoruba by wowcatty: 6:19am On Mar 27, 2022

1 Like

Re: Who Knew Judge Joe Brown Is Yoruba by wealthtrak: 8:08am On Mar 27, 2022
wowcatty:
https://www.nairaland.com/5981755/us-politics-today/84#111404491
Just checked the vid on Judge
Joe Brown out... A Yoruba Chief grandfather brought to the U.S. That would have to be further
investigated though. DNA marker tests and genealogy studies.

I've been a lover of genealogy and
world history for decades... and I know full well that the last Slave Schooner to ever sail into the Deep South (Alabama) from Whydah, West Africa in 1860, just before the
American Civil War started had aboard Yorubas, a Fon nobleman,
Nupes, etc.

They founded Africatown in
Mobile, Alabama when they could not raise enough money to go back
home to Africa after the American Civil War and liberation. They even spoke their languages and gave their children African names. The
longest surviving male among
them well into the 1930s was a Yoruba popularly known as Cudjo Lewis or by his original name of
Pa Oluale Kosola from the Bante region of Benin Republic.

Read more in:
"Dreams of Africa in Alabama"
by Sylvianne Diouf.

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Who Knew Judge Joe Brown Is Yoruba by wowcatty: 3:13am On Mar 29, 2022
Why does he need DNA if that is what his grandfather told him? I was close to my grandmother and she told me a lot about her father and grandfather, it's these AROBA that help us understand the history of some people who are claiming to be who they are not.

I think saw a documentary of that story in Alabama and that of a woman who was the last living slave, she always had Yoruba hairstyles till she died.

https://tribuneonlineng.com/last-survivor-of-transatlantic-slave-trade-wore-yoruba-hairstyle-throughout-life/

wealthtrak:

Just checked the vid on Judge
Joe Brown out... A Yoruba Chief grandfather brought to the U.S. That would have to be further
investigated though. DNA marker tests and genealogy studies.

I've been a lover of genealogy and
world history for decades... and I know full well that the last Slave Schooner to ever sail into the Deep South (Alabama) from Whydah, West Africa in 1860, just before the
American Civil War started had aboard Yorubas, a Fon nobleman,
Nupes, etc.

They founded Africatown in
Mobile, Alabama when they could not raise enough money to go back
home to Africa after the American Civil War and liberation. They even spoke their languages and gave their children African names. The
longest surviving male among
them well into the 1930s was a Yoruba popularly known as Cudjo Lewis or by his original name of
Pa Oluale Kosola from the Bante region of Benin Republic.

Read more in:
"Dreams of Africa in Alabama"
by Sylvianne Diouf.

(1) (Reply)

Putin Signs Decree On Switching Gas Payments To Rubles For Unfriendly Countries / Wikipedia Claims USA Is The Largest Oil Producing Country. / Ignoring Putin's Threats, US Boosts Support For Ukraine

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 16
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.