Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,008 members, 7,817,974 topics. Date: Sunday, 05 May 2024 at 12:49 AM

CS50P: Harvad University's Introduction To Programming With Python - Programming - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Science/Technology / Programming / CS50P: Harvad University's Introduction To Programming With Python (1051 Views)

Can I Learn Programming With My Smartphone / Can I Learn Programming With A 32-bit Operating System? / My Journey To Programming (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

CS50P: Harvad University's Introduction To Programming With Python by airsaylongcome: 12:49am On Mar 30, 2022
So almost everyday on the programing forum, there's a new thread or the other asking what language to start learning or how to start coding. Yesterday out of curiosity, I joined a test run of Week 1's content for Harvad University's Intro to Programming with Python. And BOY was it very engaging. I was watching from YouTube and watched for three hours straight. The Instructor Prof. David Malan is damned good! I definitely will be part of the entire 9 weeks of this. And I would encourage anyone who is interested in starting of programming to join in. It's a very elementary programming class so more experienced programmers may find the content too easy.

Live classes happen on Thursdays at 6pm for 3 hours and you don't even need to know how to download and install Python and VSCODE and figure out how to make the two of them work together. Everything is done via your browser. You just need to have a github account ahead.

For those interested, visit cs50.ly/zoom

Live Sessions will hold this Thursday and every Thursday for the next 9 weeks starting at 6pm WAT. The live sessions will be streamed live on YouTube which can be viewed later if you can't catch up with the live sessions. The live sessions are nice though as you can interact directly with the Instructor, his TAs and other participants across the world. Last I checked there are over 68k registered participants.

3 Likes

Re: CS50P: Harvad University's Introduction To Programming With Python by February30(m): 4:54am On Mar 30, 2022
YouTube link please
Re: CS50P: Harvad University's Introduction To Programming With Python by islamics(m): 7:44am On Mar 30, 2022
Prof David Malan is good. Being following the course for about two years now. I love the way he do engage the students. The course is a nice brush up/intro for those wanting summary.
"This is CS50".

3 Likes

Re: CS50P: Harvad University's Introduction To Programming With Python by islamics(m): 7:45am On Mar 30, 2022
February30:
YouTube link please
Just search CS50 on YouTube; you won't miss it from the search results.
Re: CS50P: Harvad University's Introduction To Programming With Python by airsaylongcome: 9:14am On Mar 30, 2022
February30:
YouTube link please

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WtKbbJ1zNh8
This was yesterday's dress rehearsal. It was a dress rehearsal so there were some technical challenges.

The live main event will be streamed tomorrow on
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TJKnZ784bSI. It's mostly going to be the same content as the dress rehearsal.

For me, It's a good quick fire introduction to the Python syntax. I've never thought highly of Python primarily because it is a very loosely typed "jaga jaga" language. But the Prof kinda made it an interesting exchange yesterday and I will participate in all the Thursday sessions.
Re: CS50P: Harvad University's Introduction To Programming With Python by 3exe3: 9:42am On Mar 30, 2022
Lol � loosely typed jaga jaga

The one that gets on my nerves is it's indentation
Re: CS50P: Harvad University's Introduction To Programming With Python by bedfordng(m): 11:29am On Mar 30, 2022
Welcome on board. The loosely typed makes It more interesting and less intimidating.

Although you can still use type hinting in your code if you wish. It's an option which is available.

this language is one of the first programming language I will recommend anyone who doesn't want to disturb their brain to learn especially if your main focus is not for immediate job hunting. If you learn it with fun in mind, you will really appreciate the language.

Also side note, you will enjoy coding with python on Linux operating system as it gives you the real benefits to use most of the modern tools to integrate with without much hassle. That is something I came to realize.

1 Like

Re: CS50P: Harvad University's Introduction To Programming With Python by airsaylongcome: 3:22pm On Mar 30, 2022
bedfordng:
Welcome on board. The loosely typed makes It more interesting and less intimidating.

Although you can still use type hinting in your code if you wish. It's an option which is available.

this language is one of the first programming language I will recommend anyone who doesn't want to disturb their brain to learn especially if your main focus is not for immediate job hunting. If you learn it with fun in mind, you will really appreciate the language.

Also side note, you will enjoy coding with python on Linux operating system as it gives you the real benefits to use most of the modern tools to integrate with without much hassle. That is something I came to realize.

Less intimidating how? It just leads to terrible code writing coming from a background in Procedural and Object-oriented programming.

A variable Average for example should only be able to hold real numbers (floats). It should NEVER at any point be able to hold a string or a char

But yeah Python is THE leading entry level programming language so I understand if Unis decide to make it the language of choice for beginner programming
Re: CS50P: Harvad University's Introduction To Programming With Python by bedfordng(m): 8:36pm On Mar 30, 2022
airsaylongcome:

Less intimidating how? It just leads to terrible code writing coming from a background in Procedural and Object-oriented programming.

A variable Average for example should only be able to hold real numbers (floats). It should NEVER at any point be able to hold a string or a char

But yeah Python is THE leading entry level programming language so I understand if Unis decide to make it the language of choice for beginner programming
that is why I said it makes it less intimidating.

When I was doing a search on friendly language to learn, after checking other programming languages and seeing the usual type hint and their Syntax at first scares the shit out of me.

I just wanted something that is less intimidating even if the code sucks at first. It does the job. This is what makes beginners tend to go for python .

So when you compare python syntax and it's loosely typed nature with other languages , you will see why I said it is less intimidating when you remove the type hint. Also you can use type hint like I said if you wish as python has that option for you to explore to make your code neat.
Re: CS50P: Harvad University's Introduction To Programming With Python by airsaylongcome: 3:06pm On Mar 31, 2022
[s]Today's session is live at 6pm Nigerian time.

https://cs50.harvard.edu/x/2022/zoom/

Register here and join the live Zoom meeting.

PS: I'm not getting paid to do this[/s]

Update: Live Session postponed
Got the following email

Hi Bleep,
You're receiving this email because you registered for CS50P's next live stream via Zoom, which was originally scheduled for Thursday, March 31, 2022, 1:00 PM – 4:00 PM EDT. (6:00 PM - 9:00 PM WAT)

I hope you'll forgive that we need to postpone the filming by 22 hours. CS50P's next live stream via Zoom will now be Friday, April 1, 2022, 11:00 AM – 2:00 PM EDT. (4:00 PM - 7:00 PM) WAT) If you registered already, no need to re-register. For those who can't make the new day and time, we'll post the recording at https://cs50.ly/zoom afterward!

We'll follow up again tomorrow with the Zoom link and more. My apologies for the scheduling change!

(1) (Reply)

Help, Am In A Dilemma. / APPLY: Techlaunchpad Software Entrepreneurs Developers / Sales And Installations Of Wallpaper And 3D Wall Panels

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 24
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.