Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,165,389 members, 7,861,075 topics. Date: Friday, 14 June 2024 at 11:12 PM

If A Woman Buys Property In The Name Of Her Husband, It Doesn't Belong To Him - Family - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Family / If A Woman Buys Property In The Name Of Her Husband, It Doesn't Belong To Him (506 Views)

If A Woman Buys A Property In The Name Of Her Husband, It Does Not Belong To Him / Woman Buys Coffin For Husband In Anambra As Father's Day Gift / 17-Year-Old Boy Buys A Car For His Mother In Lagos. See Reactions (Photo, Video) (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

If A Woman Buys Property In The Name Of Her Husband, It Doesn't Belong To Him by attah38(m): 4:45pm On Mar 31, 2022
If a woman buys property in the name of her husband, it doesn't belong to him, but if a husband buys a property in the name of his wife, it belongs to her.
Case:
JOLUGBO & ANOR v. AINA & ANOR
(2016) LPELR-40352(CA)

The law also makes a distinction between the husband and the wife - when a wife buys a property, and conveys it in the name of her husband, there is no presumption of advancement in favour of her husband; he holds in trust for his wife. However, if the husband purchases a property in his wife's name, this is prima facie a gift to her - see Silver v. Silver (1958) 1 All E. R.523."
Per Justice AMINA ADAMU AUGIE, JCA[i][/i]
(as she then was)

(Pp 27 - 29 Paras A - D)
Re: If A Woman Buys Property In The Name Of Her Husband, It Doesn't Belong To Him by chigoziri2403(m): 5:01pm On Mar 31, 2022
Wow, just wow
Re: If A Woman Buys Property In The Name Of Her Husband, It Doesn't Belong To Him by dawnomike(m): 5:11pm On Mar 31, 2022
attah38:
If a woman buys property in the name of her husband, it doesn't belong to him, but if a husband buys a property in the name of his wife, it belongs to her.
Case:
(2016) LPELR-40352(CA)

The law also makes a distinction between the husband and the wife - when a wife buys a property, and conveys it in the name of her husband, there is no presumption of advancement in favour of her husband; he holds in trust for his wife. However, if the husband purchases a property in his wife's name, this is prima facie a gift to her - see Silver v. Silver (1958) 1 All E. R.523."
Per Justice AMINA ADAMU AUGIE, JCA[i][/i]
(as she then was)

(Pp 27 - 29 Paras A - D)
The law protects married women a ehole lot... Unfortunately, so many women suffer out of ignorance
Re: If A Woman Buys Property In The Name Of Her Husband, It Doesn't Belong To Him by MrBrownJay1(m): 6:20pm On Mar 31, 2022
this yeye ruling can only happen in Africa...and/or from a deluded female judge!

1 Like

Re: If A Woman Buys Property In The Name Of Her Husband, It Doesn't Belong To Him by attah38(m): 7:21pm On Mar 31, 2022
chigoziri2403:
1958?
That's a long time
Any recent rulings

(2016) LPELR-40352(CA)
Re: If A Woman Buys Property In The Name Of Her Husband, It Doesn't Belong To Him by Towersport(m): 7:15pm On Nov 24, 2023
MrBrownJay1:
this yeye ruling can only happen in Africa...and/or from a deluded female judge!

LoL, try going to the west like US and see the laws backing women there.

It's not good enough for someone to get what they did not work for but still better than the ones in America.

So let's appreciate this one for now, protect your interest in your property since you now know the law.
Judge no go follow u cry.

(1) (Reply)

I Demonised My Child! How Do I Make A Turn Back? / Clearance Sales For Kids / Which Of This Scare You Most

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 12
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.