Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,162,449 members, 7,850,565 topics. Date: Wednesday, 05 June 2024 at 03:32 AM

What Is Gaslighting ? - Education - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Education / What Is Gaslighting ? (2520 Views)

Why Gaslighting Obidients Has Not Worked (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

What Is Gaslighting ? by miracle99(m): 1:24am On Apr 03, 2022
WHAT IS GASLIGHTING?

DEFINITION

Gaslighting is a term that best describes the act or process by which an individual (gas lighter) manipulates ,undermines and influences someone ,or group of people(gaslighted) into doubting their convictions, perceptions, notions ,judgements and belief. This phenomenon is usually orchestrated to the advantage of the gaslighter ,who makes the gaslighted come to believe that the gaslighter is right and has a better and superior opinion about a specific subject matter or array of topics . the gaslighter is chiefly concerned with gaining ‘’power and control ‘’ over his victim the gaslighted . However, it is imperative to state that gaslighting is largely possible when the power dynamics is unevenly matched i.e between a star and his fans , a father/mother and their children , a clergy and her audience , a teacher and her students ,and in some cases between married couples where one of the couples has the upper hand emotionally in the relationship , gaslighting seemingly works better with an individual who wields some form of emotional, psychological and psychic power over the gaslighted which can be anyone and everyone .

Gaslighting is an acquired trait , Gaslighters are individuals who have learned to manipulate people after years of watching how it gives power and control to individuals who practice this ‘’dark act’’.

Gaslighting is a tool used by individuals who loathe criticisms which can come from friends , family ,colleagues , onlookers and the public . from the viewpoint of social psychology ,gaslighting may be considered as a form of mental and emotional abuse which gives the gaslighter, power and control over the gaslighted. That said , it is also imperative to note that gaslighting is not always used in the negative , counsellors , parents and academicians also use this phenomenon to instill positive beliefs and ideologies and core societal in individuals they have influence over .

The negative effects of gaslighting in most cases leads to the following in individuals who have suffered gaslighting from individuals once loved ,revered and idolized by them;

- Depression

- Low self – esteem

- Anxiety disorders

ORIGIN OF THE TERM ‘’GASLIGHTING ‘’

The term gaslighting was first used in Patrick Hamilton’s 1938 play titled ‘gas light ’ which was later adapted to an American psychological thriller film also titled ‘’Gas light’’ which was directed by George Cukor and starred Charles Boyer ,Ingrid Bergman ,Joseph Cotton ,and Angela Lansbury . The plot of the movie was centered around a woman (Paula) who was tricked by her husband Gregory played by Charles Boyer into believing that she was mentally unstable ,in order, for him to steal and pilfer her most prized possessions and money. Gregory would make her believe she was hallucinating and over reacting whenever she told him about her suspicions that there was a thief present in their house ,which in fact was her husband ,who also added as her aunt’s murderer. Unbeknownst to her . Gregory murdered Paula’s Aunt and due to his inability to cart away with her valuables chose to seduce her niece who she willed her riches to for sole purpose of possessing all of the exquisite jewelries and precious stones. This movie properly exemplifies the true concept of gaslighting , which entails making a person doubt his or her perceptions and judgements whilst manipulating them into bowing to your bidding . Another Hollywood movie which is based on the concept of gaslighting is a 1952 film titled Pat and Mike .

CHARACTERISTICS/MAJOR THEMES OF GASLIGHTING ; To continue reading ,kindly visit www.mimioisadebamenblogspot.com

7 Likes

Re: What Is Gaslighting ? by CharlotteFlair: 9:12am On Apr 03, 2022
Nice one Op

I have been meaning to look up the dictionary meaning of this word since the first time I can across it, even though I could understand the contextual meanings.

Our leaders are gas lighters, that's why they are bold to come out with same lies every four years and we still fall for them.

5 Likes 1 Share

Re: What Is Gaslighting ? by bularuz(m): 9:30am On Apr 03, 2022
@op lol, had a lecturer once who teaches for 15mins only then uses over an hour giving you reasons why you must not become a lecturer.

1 Like

Re: What Is Gaslighting ? by Nigeriaiscasted: 10:09am On Apr 03, 2022
It’s important to know gaslighting is used by psychopaths and narcissists.

By the way 99% of women in Nigeria are narcissist including most of our mothers. No long cap. Even newly wedded wives gaslight their bfs to dump his family or disregard his friends

This thing has a deeper understanding and it takes the grace of God for people eyes in Naija to open to this dark part of human manipulation.

Hope you are aware the founder of church of satan said Narcissists are the children of the devil. Google the word narcissist and I am sure you know one or two people that you can relate it to

7 Likes

Re: What Is Gaslighting ? by Generalwoodz(m): 10:14am On Apr 03, 2022
Gaslighting is primarily a relationship thingy. However, 2023 would see the ruling party gaslighting poor Nigerians who they all see as people with very short term memory

2 Likes

Re: What Is Gaslighting ? by siofra(f): 11:12am On Apr 03, 2022
Nigerian parents are gurus at this.

In their minds it's effective discipline undecided

3 Likes 1 Share

Re: What Is Gaslighting ? by respect80(m): 11:16am On Apr 03, 2022
Thousands of nigerians are currently being gaslighted to believe that anyone who is directly linked with this APC government still has anything good to offer nigerians.
Do not fall for it!
What are the solutions they have or hope to bring that they didn't share with Buhari since the past 7 years plus?
Which sane human being with good intentions would set someone on a stage and watch the person fail woefully when he readily has solutions he could have offered??

REMEMBER, you were warned in 2015 and I'm warning you now. You may not be alive to receive my warning by 2027 if you fail to heed my warning now.

What am I even typing sef??
Mtchewwwww! I'm out...
Ifudongerrit then forgerrit

1 Like

Re: What Is Gaslighting ? by LordIsaac(m): 1:06pm On Apr 03, 2022
The question is whether these people are really elected or they bought their way to the top
Re: What Is Gaslighting ? by Donpenny(m): 1:36pm On Apr 03, 2022
What a potent psychological tool for manipulation
Re: What Is Gaslighting ? by Landmack: 4:42pm On Apr 03, 2022
Mental disorder
Re: What Is Gaslighting ? by franklingud(m): 5:27pm On Apr 03, 2022
I think say they be wan light gas make nairaland blow up in flames...

Mtchew ..... Neeext
Re: What Is Gaslighting ? by youngblaq: 5:56pm On Apr 03, 2022
franklingud:
I think say they be wan light gas make nairaland blow up in flames...

Mtchew ..... Neeext

1 Like 1 Share

Re: What Is Gaslighting ? by AdeniyiA(m): 5:58pm On Apr 03, 2022
Gaslighters are manipulators, I once lived with a woman who told me that many graduates are outside there without any means of livelihood, this was after I informed her that I wanted to obtain a predegree form., just because she was using me and didn't want me to have freedom .. Can you imagine

1 Like

Re: What Is Gaslighting ? by franklingud(m): 6:07pm On Apr 03, 2022
youngblaq:

grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin

Comrade na so I see am!

grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin
Re: What Is Gaslighting ? by PJtech: 7:38pm On Apr 03, 2022
Old Facebook accounts for sale @5k each

Any one that buy tonight can get it @4k each

Discount if you buy 3 accounts @10k(only for tonight, i need cash urgently)
Re: What Is Gaslighting ? by Emu4u2c: 10:14pm On Apr 03, 2022
I swear this is Real.

I know someone that practices this
Re: What Is Gaslighting ? by dollytino4real(f): 10:13am On Apr 05, 2022
Emu4u2c:
I swear this is Real.

I know someone that practices this
guy, u just dey do yanga for ur sister.

(1) (Reply)

No Be Me Give You Belle – Female Student Says After Fighting With Pregnant Cours / Yabatech, Has Published Admission Names, Any News? / How Can I Gain Admission And Study Abroad On Scholarship

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 22
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.