Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,490 members, 7,816,156 topics. Date: Friday, 03 May 2024 at 06:49 AM

Super Falcons Vs Canada (1 - 0) On Tuesday 5th July @ 7.45pm - Sports (2) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Entertainment / Sports / Super Falcons Vs Canada (1 - 0) On Tuesday 5th July @ 7.45pm (6863 Views)

Poll: What's Your Prediction?

Super Falcons Will Win: 55% (11 votes)
A Draw: 10% (2 votes)
Canada Will Win: 35% (7 votes)
This poll has ended

Argentina Vs Belgium - World Cup Q-final (1 - 0) On 5th July 2014 / Nigeria Vs Canada : (1 - 1) U-17 Women's World Cup On Saturday Sept-22-2012 / Japan Vs USA Ends 5 - 3 (2:2 AET 3:1 PSO) On Sunday 17th July @ 7:45pm (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Super Falcons Vs Canada (1 - 0) On Tuesday 5th July @ 7.45pm by Nobody: 9:49pm On Jul 05, 2011
the 15 mins extra time was due to power outage! They had to stop the game when power went off at the stadium.
Re: Super Falcons Vs Canada (1 - 0) On Tuesday 5th July @ 7.45pm by hercules07: 9:57pm On Jul 05, 2011
They tried small but they can not pass to save their lives, the defenders were okay, the midfield was terrible.
Re: Super Falcons Vs Canada (1 - 0) On Tuesday 5th July @ 7.45pm by Nobody: 10:08pm On Jul 05, 2011
engineerd:

the 15 mins extra time was due to power outage! They had to stop the game when power went off at the stadium.
Hmmmmm?In Germany?At the world cup?albeit women world cup.
Re: Super Falcons Vs Canada (1 - 0) On Tuesday 5th July @ 7.45pm by MeGaStReEt: 10:16pm On Jul 05, 2011
I am glad they won. We've been so unlucky in this tournament. The girls gave it their all, besides we conceded the least goal in our group, that shows how good our defense was. There is no need to sack the coach, she should be sent abroad for further training. I am proud of Super Falcons, they played some really nice football
Re: Super Falcons Vs Canada (1 - 0) On Tuesday 5th July @ 7.45pm by Nobody: 10:23pm On Jul 05, 2011
MeGaStReEt:

I am glad they won. We've been so unlucky in this tournament. The girls gave it their all, besides we conceded the least goal in our group, that shows how good our defense was. There is no need to sack the coach, she should be sent abroad for further training. I am proud of Super Falcons, they played some really nice football
Rubbish!She should not even come back with the team.That coach with coconut head. grin
Re: Super Falcons Vs Canada (1 - 0) On Tuesday 5th July @ 7.45pm by semid4lyfe(m): 10:58pm On Jul 05, 2011
Didn't watch the match but judging by the play-by-play commentary, match summary and statistics from FIFA.com, it seems the Super Falcons outplayed Canada today.

This victory is particularly significant cos Canada are the current (2010) CONCACAF Women Champions and are ranked 6th as against the Super Falcons that are ranked 27th. . .so who says una be local champions and can't defeat teams outside Africa?

Also glad the Super Falcons broke their 12 year ''win-less'' jinx, Perpetua Nkwocha finally scored at the world cup and a Nigerian (Stella Mbachu) was adjudged as Player-Of-The-Match

CONGRATS GIRLS! Una restore some pride to Naija today and una do wetin the men nor fit do (winning a match in the world cup).

Next up is the London 2012 Olympics qualifiers against Cameroun in September and showing the true stuff you're made of at the Olympics.

MATCH SUMMARY

A late winner from Perpetua Nkwocha has seen Nigeria defeat Canada 1-0 in an action-packed encounter and claim their FIFA Women’s World Cup™ win since 1999.

Canada coach Carolina Morace rang the changes for the match with goalkeeper Karina LeBlanc coming in for Erin McLeod, while Marie-Eve Nault and Melissa Tancredi started ahead of Brittany Timko and Christina Julien.

The north Americans started well creating several openings most notably with Jonelle Filigno bursting into the penalty area, but unable to overcome goalkeeper Precious Dede who claimed the ball.

The match then kicked into gear and approaching the 20-minute mark, there was a great chance for Nigeria with Ebere Orji sending a powerful effort on goal, which LeBlanc blocks but Rita Chikwelu is unable to convert the follow up.

However a few minutes later it was Canada’s turn and a ball from deep is headed into the left post by Melissa Tancredi.

Within minutes it was the turn of Nigeria’s Ebere Orji to hit the post, this time with a close-range effort.

The woodwork yet again ensured the match was scoreless at the interval. This time Stella Mbachu passes from the right into the middle but Perpetua Nkwocha is unable to grasp the opportunity.

The early stages of the second half saw Canada striker Christine Sinclair, again wearing a face mark following the broken nose she suffered in the tournament opener against Germany, hits a shot from inside the penalty area but Helen Ukaounu blocks the ball.

With just under 20 minutes to go, the lights at the stadium in Dresden went out necessitating a delay of around ten minutes.

Re: Super Falcons Vs Canada (1 - 0) On Tuesday 5th July @ 7.45pm by medjai(m): 11:36pm On Jul 05, 2011
Too little, too late
Re: Super Falcons Vs Canada (1 - 0) On Tuesday 5th July @ 7.45pm by Basseti: 11:40pm On Jul 05, 2011
medjai:

Too little, too late

Yeah, true.

But the jinx has been broken. If my memory serves me right, those super ducks have not won any match in all the world cups they have been to. So its a right step in the right direction.
Re: Super Falcons Vs Canada (1 - 0) On Tuesday 5th July @ 7.45pm by MeGaStReEt: 11:46pm On Jul 05, 2011
Ntom:

Rubbish!She should not even come back with the team.That coach with coconut head. grin

Who do you want us to replace her with Look at you, you are calling somebody's wife/mother/sister coconut head. I still insist she should be sent abroad for proper training.
Re: Super Falcons Vs Canada (1 - 0) On Tuesday 5th July @ 7.45pm by semid4lyfe(m): 12:07am On Jul 06, 2011
Basseti:

But the jinx has been broken.

If my memory serves me right, those super ducks have not won any match in all the world cups they have been to. So its a right step in the right direction.

Not exactly True.

The Super Falcons have won matches at the World cup before.

It was only a 12years ''win-less'' jinx since 1999 that was broken. . . .as in the last time the Super Falcons won a match at the world cup was in USA 99 against Denmark. In that world cup, they beat Korea DPR and Denmark 2-1 and 2-0 respectively in the group stages to qualify for the quarter finals.

So '99 was the last time the Super Falcons won a match at the world cup until today
Re: Super Falcons Vs Canada (1 - 0) On Tuesday 5th July @ 7.45pm by Basseti: 12:10am On Jul 06, 2011
semid4lyfe:

Not exactly True.

The Super Falcons have won matches at the World cup before.

It was only a 12years ''win-less'' jinx since 1999 that was broken. . . .as in the last time the Super Falcons won a match at the world cup was in USA 99 against Denmark. In that world cup, they beat Korea DPR and Denmark 2-1 and 2-0 respectively in the group stages to qualify for the quarter finals.

So '99 was the last time the Super Falcons won a match at the world cup until today

Thanks for the correction, semi. I no follow women football reach that level.

12 yr jinx, hope it does not take another dozen years to record another win.
Re: Super Falcons Vs Canada (1 - 0) On Tuesday 5th July @ 7.45pm by Diligence: 7:21am On Jul 06, 2011
So proud of my girls - just keep the winning spirit high; no shaking; take lessons learnt home and restrategise!
Re: Super Falcons Vs Canada (1 - 0) On Tuesday 5th July @ 7.45pm by otokx(m): 10:12am On Jul 06, 2011
congratulations to them
Re: Super Falcons Vs Canada (1 - 0) On Tuesday 5th July @ 7.45pm by ponke: 12:29pm On Jul 06, 2011
whaooo,winning at last,well the team has to be regroup inorder to perform well in the future.i still commend them for winning the last matche.bravo to the girl
Re: Super Falcons Vs Canada (1 - 0) On Tuesday 5th July @ 7.45pm by tainot2002(m): 1:18pm On Jul 06, 2011
Am Happy For Them Atleat They Won
Re: Super Falcons Vs Canada (1 - 0) On Tuesday 5th July @ 7.45pm by Yankee01: 1:48pm On Jul 06, 2011
tainot2002:

Am Happy For Them Atleat They Won
Atleast 1 match. grin
Re: Super Falcons Vs Canada (1 - 0) On Tuesday 5th July @ 7.45pm by abbeynism(m): 2:12pm On Jul 06, 2011
That's a fair result. I hope Eucharia is left to carry on. For the past 12 years all past (men) coaches have not given us a win. But she should be support and given every necessary assistance she may be needed.
Re: Super Falcons Vs Canada (1 - 0) On Tuesday 5th July @ 7.45pm by laj1(m): 2:56pm On Jul 06, 2011
i wud av been so happier if it was one draw,one loose,one win but all the same,the players tried but the coach flopped with a wrong formation playing perpetua nwotcha in a wrong position.Not too bad
Re: Super Falcons Vs Canada (1 - 0) On Tuesday 5th July @ 7.45pm by laj1(m): 3:04pm On Jul 06, 2011
i wud av been so happier if it was one draw,one loose,one win but all the same,the players tried but the coach flopped with a wrong formation playing perpetua nwotcha in a wrong position.Not too bad.the opponents are not better than the super falcons.They just got luck.

Germany did not play a fantastic game we expected and the french are not superior but uche eucharia bleeped up.in the first game,she made a wrong substitution by replacing oparanozie and she played our best striker(nwotcha)in a wrong position.

lol
Re: Super Falcons Vs Canada (1 - 0) On Tuesday 5th July @ 7.45pm by begwong: 3:07pm On Jul 06, 2011
welkom home babes!!
Re: Super Falcons Vs Canada (1 - 0) On Tuesday 5th July @ 7.45pm by mallorca(m): 4:00pm On Jul 06, 2011
gudluck next time
Re: Super Falcons Vs Canada (1 - 0) On Tuesday 5th July @ 7.45pm by Roland17(m): 4:07pm On Jul 06, 2011
I watched all three matches and if i am to rate the coach based on tactical intelligence, development of women football in respective countries, available facilities and motivation, i would score her a B, i bet a man would not better her performance. she did her best, the major problem with African teams in the competition was they loose concentration and that cost Nigeria and Equatorial Guinea.
Re: Super Falcons Vs Canada (1 - 0) On Tuesday 5th July @ 7.45pm by Myself2(m): 5:14pm On Jul 06, 2011
All the goats calling for Eucheria Uche's head should now chill a likkle cheesy cheesy
Re: Super Falcons Vs Canada (1 - 0) On Tuesday 5th July @ 7.45pm by Goldenmeda(m): 6:25pm On Jul 06, 2011
Thank God they win 1 match
Re: Super Falcons Vs Canada (1 - 0) On Tuesday 5th July @ 7.45pm by Obiagu1(m): 7:46pm On Jul 06, 2011
Super Falcons were not blown away in any of the matches. All 3 games were very tight and the last one against Canada was fantastic.
I think we couldn't score in the first two games because Nkwocha played too deep but against Canada, damn it, the girl is too good. She held the ball well and was very composed. Sad thing is that this could be her last world cup.

Our defence and goalkeeper are top rate too. Our midfield players, Iroka and Chikwelu are very good but both are defensive midfielders. Both did well but lose concentration once in a while and their passes are sometimes off mark due to lack of concentration. Overall, the team is very solid.
Re: Super Falcons Vs Canada (1 - 0) On Tuesday 5th July @ 7.45pm by mikrotik: 6:57am On Jul 07, 2011
some
Myself2:

All the goats calling for Eucheria Uche's head should now chill a likkle cheesy cheesy

“Prejudices are what fools use for reason.” u r a fool(of d highest order)
Re: Super Falcons Vs Canada (1 - 0) On Tuesday 5th July @ 7.45pm by mikrotik: 7:15am On Jul 07, 2011
l.a.j:

i wud av been so happier if it was one draw,one loose,one win but all the same,the players tried but the coach flopped with a wrong formation playing perpetua nwotcha in a wrong position.Not too bad.the opponents are not better than the super falcons.They just got luck.

Germany did not play a fantastic game we expected and the french are not superior but uche eucharia bleeped up.in the first game,she made a wrong substitution by replacing oparanozie and she played our best striker(nwotcha)in a wrong position.

lol

Its a good outing,i love their spirit. As regards the coach, never blame her for her tactics, as she's being paid for that.Nwocha played behind, i thinks because of her experience and her ability to hold ball. Its a promising one, if they will not demolish/destroy the growth of team like Siasia did to our victorious U-17(while going to U-20 worldcup)
Re: Super Falcons Vs Canada (1 - 0) On Tuesday 5th July @ 7.45pm by skydeexie(m): 9:43am On Jul 07, 2011
Hey what the heck! These Babies played out their lives. This is one of their best outing in the FIFA women's world cup so far.
The team spirit was really outstanding.

[size=20pt]Congratulations Super, Super Falcons![/size]
Re: Super Falcons Vs Canada (1 - 0) On Tuesday 5th July @ 7.45pm by Myself2(m): 2:05pm On Jul 07, 2011
mikrotik:

some
“Prejudices are what fools use for reason.” u r a fool(of d highest order)

Mikrotik,which dirty milk-rotten are you
I'm a fool of the highest orderhmmm let me see,,,,okay
But just know that your father is a fool of the lowest order,your mother a fool of the middle order
Re: Super Falcons Vs Canada (1 - 0) On Tuesday 5th July @ 7.45pm by Gbenge77(m): 5:08pm On Jul 09, 2011
Very good for the records.
Re: Super Falcons Vs Canada (1 - 0) On Tuesday 5th July @ 7.45pm by Pharoh: 10:22pm On Jul 09, 2011
Congratulations to japan, i am very happy for them and wish they win the world-cup with their beautiful team work playing.

(1) (2) (3) (Reply)

Williams Sisters Eclipsed? Where Are They? / CAF WCL: Rivers Angels Defeat Police (Niger Republic) 5-0, Book Semi-Final Spot / Diego Maradona Sacked As Al Wasl Manager

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 47
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.