Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,604 members, 7,809,195 topics. Date: Friday, 26 April 2024 at 04:28 AM

Islamic Banking: CBN Declines Al Qaeda's Request For Licence - Business - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Business / Islamic Banking: CBN Declines Al Qaeda's Request For Licence (5315 Views)

Naira Falls As Crude Oil Price Declines / Ngozi: Islamic Banking Is Ok / Stanbic IBTC Gets Licence For Islamic Banking Operations In Nigeria (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

Islamic Banking: CBN Declines Al Qaeda's Request For Licence by cold(m): 2:38am On Jul 05, 2011
Islamic Banking: CBN rejects Al Qaeda request for banking licence

…Says Islamic banking politicized
…Asks antagonists to go to court

Emma Ujah, Abuja Bureau Chief
Amidst fears that the proposed Islamic banking system, may create an avenue for terrorist financing in Nigeria, the Governor of Central Bank of Nigeria, CBN, Mallam Sanusi Lamido Sanusi, Monday revealed that a group had earlier in the 1990s, applied for licence to establish an Al Qaeda Bank in the country but was not approved

The CBN chief who disclosed this at the opening of an international conference on Islamic Banking in Abuja, said that the group’s application was turned down for failing to meet requirements for banking licence.

Another group that applied for licence to establish another Islamic  Al Barka Bank, was equally turned down, Mallam Sanusi said.

His words, “in the early 1990s two applications were received and processed for Islamic banking licence: Al Barka Bank and Al Qaeda Bank.  However, those two banks could not meet the requirement for the grant of a final licence”.

But the governor insisted that he would pursue the current move for the establishment of Islamic banks in the country unless stopped by a law court, as according to him, the history of Islamic banking dated back to 1991.

“The history of Islamic Banking in Nigeria dates back to 1991 with the promulgation of BOFIA, Banking and Other Financial Institutions Act which provided the legal guidelines for the regulation of non-interest of profit/loss sharing banking in the country”, he said.

Mallam Sanusi added that by  1996, the then Habib Bank sought and obtained CBN approval to operate Islamic banking model.

Also Jaiz, a company that has been promoting Islamic banking in Nigeria, “got an approval in principle in 2004 but could not take off due to lack of capital”.

He said that the CBN under his administration was not promoting Islamic banking but only doing its duties of providing necessary guidelines to ensure adequate regulation for its operations.

His words, “we have the responsibility to continue to explain that the CBN is neither promoting nor establishing an Islamic bank.  The CBN is licensing and regulating Islamic banking and that is under the law”.

Mallam Sanusi said critics of Islamic banking were politicizing the issue based on religion rather than looking at it from the economic perspective.

“I think it is because of Nigerian politics- highly divided, highly sectarian.  I think we are in the habit of using every opportunity to exploit religion or ethnic difference for political ends”, he said.

The governor said that the CBN was acting within the Provisions of the Banks and Other financial Institutions Act, BOFIA, and that those who felt otherwise should go to court.

“Anybody who feels Islamic banking is illegal should go to a court of law because it is only the court that decides if something is illegal or not.  If a court says it is illegal, we will stop it.

“But we don’t think the court will say so because we know it is within the realms of the law.  It is only a court of law that can make a pronouncement on the legality of anything”.

In his welcome address, the CBN Deputy Governor , Financial System Stability, Dr. Kingsley Moghalu made effort at convincing the audience that Islamic banking was not a ploy to Islamize the nation.

He said the banking model existed in countries with Muslim minorities such as the United States of America and the United Kingdom.

He said the risk sharing principle would lend the bank’s resources for huge infrastructure projects in the power and transportation sector.

He said that Nigeria had become an Executive member of the Board of the Islamic Development Bank, IDB, and would benefit from the near $ 1 trillion assets of Islamic banks across the globe.    Mr. Isamil Toure who represented the President of the IDB, Dr. Ahmed Ali said that with the population of Nigeria, it would become the largest market for Islamic banking as well as IDB financing

[url]http://www.vanguardngr.com/2011/07/islamic-banking-cbn-rejects-al-qaeda-request-for-banking-licence/
[/url]
Re: Islamic Banking: CBN Declines Al Qaeda's Request For Licence by koruji(m): 3:59am On Jul 05, 2011
Look at SLS talking from the "4 compass points of his mouth" - apologies to the eminent Prof. Soyinka.

cold:

His words, “in the early 1990s two applications were received and processed for Islamic banking licence: Al Barka Bank and Al Qaeda Bank.  However, those two banks could not meet the requirement for the grant of a final licence”.
>>>>>>>Question: Which "requirements were these"? Please tell us - did it include Sharia-Compliance or not? Probably not - note the next statement.

“The history of Islamic Banking in Nigeria dates back to 1991 with the promulgation of BOFIA, Banking and Other Financial Institutions Act which provided the legal guidelines for the regulation of non-interest of profit/loss sharing banking in the country”, he said.
>>>>>>>Note: The 1991 rules provide for "non-interest profit/loss sharing banking" - not SLS's Islamic Banks.

Mallam Sanusi added that by  1996, the then Habib Bank sought and obtained CBN approval to operate Islamic banking model.
Also Jaiz, a company that has been promoting Islamic banking in Nigeria, “got an approval in principle in 2004 but could not take off due to lack of capital”.
>>>>>>>Note: These banks would have been licenced under the 1991 rules, which said nothing about Islamic Banking. This here put paid to the LIE that Soludo started Islamic Banks first. Soludo was not CBN Governor in 1991, and when he approved Jaiz Bank he was using the same rules used for the 1996 Habib Bank approval  i.e. the 1991 non-interest profit/loss sharing banking"

His words, “we have the responsibility to continue to explain that the CBN is neither promoting nor establishing an Islamic bank.  The CBN is licensing and regulating Islamic banking and that is under the law”.
>>>>>>>Note: This is where the Mallam became too clever by half. How are you issuing guidelines anew in 2011 when two banks have already being approved under the 1991 rules. Is SLS telling us those were mistakes? If SLS finds a need to issue new "guidelines" then it is another proof that they are lying by using Soludo as cover. Why issue a rule that somebody has already issued. The CBN is yet to show us "Soludo's Circular" which specified Sharia-Compliance and all those religious rules as in SLS's.

“I think it is because of Nigerian politics- highly divided, highly sectarian.  I think we are in the habit of using every opportunity to exploit religion or ethnic difference for political ends”, he said.
>>>>>>>Comment: Nigerian politics is highly divided, highly sectarian precisely because of careless public officials like SLS. If he did not give the job of writing the rules to Mullahs and then rubber-stamping it there will be no eggs on his face now - and it is already a foul, smelling egg on SLS and CBN's face!!!

The governor said that the CBN was acting within the Provisions of the Banks and Other financial Institutions Act, BOFIA, and that those who felt otherwise should go to court.
>>>>>>>Comment: If I am not mistaken the same BOFIA rules actually spelt out religious words that a bank should not include in its name, talkless of allowing the CBN to set up one that must follow "Islamic Jurispudence"

“Anybody who feels Islamic banking is illegal should go to a court of law because it is only the court that decides if something is illegal or not.  If a court says it is illegal, we will stop it.
“But we don’t think the court will say so because we know it is within the realms of the law.  It is only a court of law that can make a pronouncement on the legality of anything”.
>>>>>>>Comment: I have said this times without number. This is the method of zealots in authority. Force religious ideas down your throat then challenge you to fight it if you are not comfortable. Go figure, they never fail to show true colors.

He said that Nigeria had become an Executive member of the Board of the Islamic Development Bank, IDB, and would benefit from the near $ 1 trillion assets of Islamic banks across the globe.    Mr. Isamil Toure who represented the President of the IDB, Dr. Ahmed Ali said that with the population of Nigeria, it would become the largest market for Islamic banking as well as IDB financing
>>>>>>>Comment: This is real reason SLS went about writing a religious law for our banking system that even some of those countries do not practice. Nigerian religionist are always ready to be more catholic than the pope at the expense of the comfort and life of the ordinary Nigerian down the road. We know he sees himself as Emir of Kano one day, but did he have to endanger all of us to satisfy his religious "peers" abroad.
Re: Islamic Banking: CBN Declines Al Qaeda's Request For Licence by houvest: 10:29am On Jul 05, 2011
It has started.
Re: Islamic Banking: CBN Declines Al Qaeda's Request For Licence by hakanai(m): 4:24pm On Jul 05, 2011
cold:

…Says Islamic banking politicized
…Asks antagonists to go to court

Emma Ujah, Abuja Bureau Chief
Amidst fears that the proposed Islamic banking system, may create an avenue for terrorist financing in Nigeria, the Governor of Central Bank of Nigeria, CBN, Mallam Sanusi Lamido Sanusi, Monday revealed that a group had earlier in the 1990s, applied for licence to establish an Al Qaeda Bank in the country but was not approved

The CBN chief who disclosed this at the opening of an international conference on Islamic Banking in Abuja, said that the group’s application was turned down for failing to meet requirements for banking licence.

Another group that applied for licence to establish another Islamic  Al Barka Bank, was equally turned down, Mallam Sanusi said.

But the governor insisted that he would pursue the current move for the establishment of Islamic banks in the country unless stopped by a law court, as according to him, the history of Islamic banking dated back to 1991.

He said that the CBN under his administration was not promoting Islamic banking but only doing its duties of providing necessary guidelines to ensure adequate regulation for its operations.

Mallam Sanusi said critics of Islamic banking were politicizing the issue based on religion rather than looking at it from the economic perspective.

In his welcome address, the CBN Deputy Governor , Financial System Stability, Dr. Kingsley Moghalu made effort at convincing the audience that Islamic banking was not a ploy to Islamize the nation.

He said the banking model existed in countries with Muslim minorities such as the United States of America and the United Kingdom.

He said the risk sharing principle would lend the bank’s resources for huge infrastructure projects in the power and transportation sector.

[url]http://www.vanguardngr.com/2011/07/islamic-banking-cbn-rejects-al-qaeda-request-for-banking-licence/
[/url]

Is it right for this Dr. Kingsley Moghalu a christian in Nigeria to be defending the system?
Is it right for Soludo a christian in Nigeria to approve the license?
Is it right for Joseph Sanusi a christian in Nigeria to suggest the Idea?
Lastly all the Noise makers are you better than them ? or do you the Know the financial terrain better than them?
STOP THE HATING AND PROPAGANDA !!!!! without a fact i say all people say is cheap rumour angry angry angry angry
I rest my case.Like Sanusi said go to court!!!!!Shikena sad
Re: Islamic Banking: CBN Declines Al Qaeda's Request For Licence by philip0906(m): 4:30pm On Jul 05, 2011
e nefa start. . .
Re: Islamic Banking: CBN Declines Al Qaeda's Request For Licence by Nobody: 4:25am On Jul 06, 2011
He said that Nigeria had become an Executive member of the Board of the Islamic Development Bank, IDB, and would benefit from the near $ 1 trillion assets of Islamic banks across the globe. Mr. Isamil Toure who represented the President of the IDB, Dr. Ahmed Ali said that with the population of Nigeria, it would become the largest market for Islamic banking as well as IDB financing
i'm curious about the bolded ^^

it seems this people had been targetting nigeria because of the
"largest market for Islamic banking as well as IDB financing"
also i would like to know if America,britian and so called less muslim countries they claim to be using the Islamic banking are among the executives of the board? that nigeria has become an executive too overnight of islamizing two bank?

JEHOVA GOD in your hands i give my christian brothers home cry you know the best! if you miraculously can stop Don fodio from sinking the koran down the ocean,i really believe in you
Re: Islamic Banking: CBN Declines Al Qaeda's Request For Licence by Nobody: 7:07am On Jul 06, 2011
why are we disturbing ourselves.let them start their jihad bank.i guarantee you, it will die a natural death
Re: Islamic Banking: CBN Declines Al Qaeda's Request For Licence by unphilaz(m): 7:15am On Jul 06, 2011
hmm am not economist nor a accountant but this is interestin me. it looks like some of the posters might have a point and since he has challenge any1 wit contrary view could go 2 cout. let ur reasons be presented their 2 stop him if there is any foul play. thanks 4 d education & interpretation
Re: Islamic Banking: CBN Declines Al Qaeda's Request For Licence by RabiuAnka(m): 7:30am On Jul 06, 2011
Wasting time talking about something that you cannot stop. Sanusi Lamido Sanusi go on ALLAH with protect you against bad EGGS.
Re: Islamic Banking: CBN Declines Al Qaeda's Request For Licence by MrGlobe(m): 7:44am On Jul 06, 2011
Hmmm. Maybe if they refused alqeada, they will grant one to boko haram. Jonathan just dey dey look as sanusi wan destroy the country economy. Islamic banking. Breathe of 'fresh' air
Re: Islamic Banking: CBN Declines Al Qaeda's Request For Licence by Nobody: 7:49am On Jul 06, 2011
I dont understand the uproar about this Islamic Banking. can someone tell me what it really means?
is it because it has 'islamic' with it? someone tell me what it really means.
Re: Islamic Banking: CBN Declines Al Qaeda's Request For Licence by sayso: 7:56am On Jul 06, 2011
babaearly:

I dont understand the uproar about this Islamic Banking. can someone tell me what it really means?

guy we live in a dangerous world and some people think that western education or civilization has ruined their ancestral way of thinking,that means it has to be destroyed.9Western way of life) around them.This moves may be good for SLS but the aftermath of it will be bad for all too see.
Re: Islamic Banking: CBN Declines Al Qaeda's Request For Licence by Kalman(m): 8:15am On Jul 06, 2011
babaearly:

Don't say i did not tell you. Nigeria is a complex society. Now Boko Haram, Before Militants. Boko says militants have done, so the will do as well. Just watch out for what happens in the near future.

[1] Catholic Bank: We must do our own too
[2] RCCG Bank: We must do too
[3] Grail Message Bank
[4] Eckankar Bank
[5] Anglican Bank

And the list becomes infinite.
Re: Islamic Banking: CBN Declines Al Qaeda's Request For Licence by chamber2(m): 8:28am On Jul 06, 2011

And then;

This sanusi is truly a bigot
Re: Islamic Banking: CBN Declines Al Qaeda's Request For Licence by odedele: 8:37am On Jul 06, 2011
story story
Re: Islamic Banking: CBN Declines Al Qaeda's Request For Licence by Nymphnode(m): 8:38am On Jul 06, 2011
'Man of the year'. . . . . . I'm more concerned about the profit sharing jare. Have they named a percentage yet?
Re: Islamic Banking: CBN Declines Al Qaeda's Request For Licence by docjuli(m): 8:47am On Jul 06, 2011
sayso:

guy we live in a dangerous world and some people think that western education or civilization has ruined their ancestral way of thinking,that means it has to be destroyed.9Western way of life) around them.This moves may be good for SLS but the aftermath of it will be bad for all too see.

Re: Islamic Banking: CBN Declines Al Qaeda's Request For Licence by YoursGEJ(m): 9:38am On Jul 06, 2011
cold:

(No be small thing o!, after all, what do we expect with a mallam as CBN boss?)

(will the judge be a Christian or a Muslim?)

Re: Islamic Banking: CBN Declines Al Qaeda's Request For Licence by maclatunji: 9:43am On Jul 06, 2011
Kalman:

Don't say i did not tell you. Nigeria is a complex society. Now Boko Haram, Before Militants. Boko says militants have done, so the will do as well. Just watch out for what happens in the near future.

[1] Catholic Bank: We must do our own too
[2] RCCG Bank: We must do too
[3] Grail Message Bank
[4] Eckankar Bank
[5] Anglican Bank

And the list becomes infinite.

They are free to do their thing if they do not end-up cheating and stealing money. It is the job of the CBN to regulate all banks irrespective of the fundamental ideology behind them as long as they are not fraudulent.
Re: Islamic Banking: CBN Declines Al Qaeda's Request For Licence by badpeople: 9:54am On Jul 06, 2011
Sanusi - CBN Governor is one of the boko haram sponsors, his statement clearly shows his interest in boko haram and Al-queda advancement, we have several issues making us backward in our banking system, MUMU SANUSI leave all this and start pursuing rubbish,  and GEJ is sleeping, is it by force for you to retain SLS as CBN governor Alias (Devils advocate), well, UK and US will soon invade us as they did to Iraq and others, cos they are looking for oil and they are looking for any loopholes
Re: Islamic Banking: CBN Declines Al Qaeda's Request For Licence by oiseworld: 10:22am On Jul 06, 2011
but what actually is this sanusi after. does he think he is smarter than all Nigerians or more intelligent.

he is so desperate and determined. i like him for that, but he should not forget that those who refuse to pay back their loans would be amputated according to sharia law. you know those thing like, beheading, stone to death, should all be brought to play. stop juicing us with no interest banking, bring along the repercussions of not paying back.

you know the yoruba proverbs that says " you are free to play with the devils breast but remember you would have to leave your hands behind".
Re: Islamic Banking: CBN Declines Al Qaeda's Request For Licence by ismaeel86(m): 10:27am On Jul 06, 2011
I will continue to say it, Nigeria is a country where christains hating muslims, muslims hating christians, a tribe feeling his tribe is superior than others. we will never move forward as a nation if we continue this way. i think if the banking model does not have "islamic" in it im sure no one will complain about it. just because it is called islamic bank, the ignorant people have been making baseless noise against it. if those banks are established, it is not binding on anyone whether muslim, christain or pagan to bank with them. it is a matter of choice. it doesnt change anything. same thing goes with the sharia law when it was introduced, even some muslims dont go to sharia courts to settle their disputes. anybody that doesnt know about islamic banking system should google it or go to wikipedia to learn more about it. no knowledge is wasted.
Re: Islamic Banking: CBN Declines Al Qaeda's Request For Licence by oiseworld: 10:42am On Jul 06, 2011
ismaeel86:

I will continue to say it, Nigeria is a country where christains hating muslims, muslims hating christians, a tribe feeling his tribe is superior than others. we will never move forward as a nation if we continue this way. i think if the banking model does not have "islamic" in it im sure no one will complain about it. just because it is called islamic bank, the ignorant people have been making baseless noise against it. if those banks are established, it is not binding on anyone whether muslim, christain or pagan to bank with them. it is a matter of choice. it doesnt change anything. same thing goes with the sharia law when it was introduced, even some muslims dont go to sharia courts to settle their disputes. anybody that doesnt know about islamic banking system should google it or go to wikipedia to learn more about it. no knowledge is wasted.
ismaeel86:

how do you practice Islam without following the laws that govern it. i don't understand? how does Alla knows you are worshiping him when you don't do what is in his laws like other Islamic countries do.

na wao Naija anything can happen, thats why you find it difficult to obey the constitution of Nigeria.
Re: Islamic Banking: CBN Declines Al Qaeda's Request For Licence by gbconcepts: 10:54am On Jul 06, 2011
Just like Soludo is being evaluated and judged today by his actions and inactions, so will Sanusi tomorrow.
Let us play it cool my people.
I remember the uproar about 9ja joining the OIC some years back. Today do we even remember that?

Just watch what will become of the Islamic bank tomorrow.
But seriously speaking, as a businessman if the bank will advance me interest free loans and give me profit sharing benefits (without requiring me becoming a muslim - cos that's a no-go area), then I will be at their door in the morning with my application and I know many non-muslims will queue behind me.
Re: Islamic Banking: CBN Declines Al Qaeda's Request For Licence by medocity(m): 11:29am On Jul 06, 2011
All is allegation level against the CBN governor is just a noise making Agenda that needs to be taking care of, Why is it that religions Acrimony taking the hearts of Nigerians that when ever anythings ISLAMIST is being discuss, The CHRISTIAN FAITHFULS take it to be something else.
      Now The QUESTION I WILL ASK EVERY NAIRALANDER IS, Is The COUNTRY NIGERIA A ONE RELIGION COUNTRY?
Let us not all look to one direction, All the Banking Firms in Nigeria today are all profit making banks while Islamic banking is not the PROFIT MAKING one, So, please whoever is not in support of the ISLAMIC BANKING should go to court and challenge the CBN to put and end to it or else go to Hell, Shekena
Re: Islamic Banking: CBN Declines Al Qaeda's Request For Licence by liaslo1(m): 11:45am On Jul 06, 2011
people r hating d word islam nd not d banking, if u know dat wat sanusi is doing is wrong wat to do is simple, go to court!
Re: Islamic Banking: CBN Declines Al Qaeda's Request For Licence by Nobody: 1:36pm On Jul 06, 2011
This is nice, so when are they going to start blowing up abuja and white house, plus nigeria figure head

grin grin angry
Re: Islamic Banking: CBN Declines Al Qaeda's Request For Licence by Nobody: 9:13pm On Jul 06, 2011
i have seen how nigerians think! when Jonathan won, some disagree(inspite telling them to go to court) they start killing youth now they are telling the other side to go court, i just imagine if they were in the shoes to hear christian bank, this time around they would have kill the whole tongue ,
Re: Islamic Banking: CBN Declines Al Qaeda's Request For Licence by Tyche(m): 11:17pm On Jul 06, 2011
We should let this pass. If it is what will benefit people it will stand, if no it will fail.
Re: Islamic Banking: CBN Declines Al Qaeda's Request For Licence by JosephJon: 12:42am On Jul 07, 2011
With due respect to Sanusi, but he should stop deceiving the public with this his I know more than thou attitude of his. Can he tell us plainly which of the American banks operate the Islamic banking system? May God save us from these illiterates desperadoes who find themselves in corridor of power. Where is BABA Obasanjo?
Jonathan is already a failure.Jonathan Can't stop Boko Haram,he can's stop Sanusi then Nigeria should open her palms and welcome AL QEIDA. Nigeria is doomed with this crop of leaders.

When Yar'dua failed to perform we agreed he was sick,Jonathan is failing so early,what sickness has he? Brain blockage or inexperience of governance? Or cowardice. Some body help me out. Very soon we are going to be stateless and country less. Chei.
Re: Islamic Banking: CBN Declines Al Qaeda's Request For Licence by asagal(f): 1:02am On Jul 07, 2011
Toaskarity:

i have seen how nigerians think! when Jonathan won, some disagree(inspite telling them to go to court) they start killing youth now they are telling the other side to go court, i just imagine if they were in the shoes to hear christian bank, this time around they would have kill the whole tongue ,

tru talk my broda!
Re: Islamic Banking: CBN Declines Al Qaeda's Request For Licence by Pafuri(m): 3:15am On Jul 07, 2011
When you are agrieved, you go to court. It is the hallmark of democracy. Bravo Sanusi. At least you did not call on "Boko Haram" for help. grin grin grin

(1) (2) (Reply)

Free Games For Pools Stakers / How To Make Money Online In Nigeria - Tutorial / eBAYNaiJA (www.ebay-ng.com)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 80
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.