Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,217 members, 7,818,743 topics. Date: Sunday, 05 May 2024 at 11:51 PM

Are There Any Places Of Historical Interest In Your Town ? - Culture - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Culture / Are There Any Places Of Historical Interest In Your Town ? (4307 Views)

Historical Facts About Ilorin And Kwara Yoruba / Historical Pix; Picture Of Christmas Celebration In Badagry, 1923 / What Is The Traditional Music From Your Town/state Like? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

Are There Any Places Of Historical Interest In Your Town ? by pafun(m): 9:36am On Jul 05, 2011
Why do we travel to London to look at old buildings built by dead people who don't mean anything to us ? There are a lot of places which canenrich our knowledge about us and our own culture . Can you think of any in your town ? Share it here .

Example :
Ibadan : Bower Tower , Mapo Hall ,UI Zoo , Agodi gardens , Cocoa House, Old WNTV building , Liberty Stadium

Lagos : Bar Beach , Lekki beach, Badagry beach , first storey building , slave port , water house, CMS church, national theater
Re: Are There Any Places Of Historical Interest In Your Town ? by Nobody: 10:31am On Jul 05, 2011
Mr Pafun, of Ugly Britain fame! hehehehehe. It's been a while.
Re: Are There Any Places Of Historical Interest In Your Town ? by Nobody: 10:36am On Jul 05, 2011
I believe the answer to your query lies in novelty. Most people don't do the tourism thing within their own country, or the country the live in. There are lots of places here in Britain I haven't visited. I would most likely want to visit places of interest in Nigeria. In the same way, Brits and other non-Nigerians will travel to Africa to visit historical places.

And Nigerians, and other non-Brits would be keen on visiting historic places in Britain, There never seems to be any novelty in your country of residence, despite the abundance of historical and tourist attractions you may never have seen.
Re: Are There Any Places Of Historical Interest In Your Town ? by pafun(m): 10:45am On Jul 05, 2011
Siena:

Mr Pafun, of Ugly Britain fame! hehehehehe. It's been a while.

grin grin grin No shaking, bros (I learn that new in Naija) . I am not here to bash oyinbo people this time , only to learn more about my country. Can you help me out ?
Are you from Okirika ? Any interesting tourist places in that town ?
Re: Are There Any Places Of Historical Interest In Your Town ? by Nobody: 12:37pm On Jul 05, 2011
hw we take dey sure sey this guy no wan compile list of places of interest in naija use make money? guy until u tell us ur agenda me no dey talk. lipsrsealed
Re: Are There Any Places Of Historical Interest In Your Town ? by Andrew3(m): 12:37pm On Jul 05, 2011
from makurdi we have river benue inundated with witches and fishes, good for tourism grin grin

historically the river was said to have eliminated, assassinated and annihilated a large number of people
Re: Are There Any Places Of Historical Interest In Your Town ? by pafun(m): 12:55pm On Jul 05, 2011
woodcook:

hw we take dey sure sey this guy no wan compile list of places of interest in naija use make money? guy until u tell us your agenda me no dey talk. lipsrsealed

cheesy cheesy cheesy Bros why you come talk now ? Naija people self ; so retentive cheesy
Re: Are There Any Places Of Historical Interest In Your Town ? by mallorca(m): 12:58pm On Jul 05, 2011
woodcook:

hw we take dey sure sey this guy no wan compile list of places of interest in naija use make money? guy until u tell us your agenda me no dey talk. lipsrsealed
grin grin grin grin
Re: Are There Any Places Of Historical Interest In Your Town ? by valicious1(m): 1:02pm On Jul 05, 2011
Yea for mbaise imo state, e get place wey monkey full well well, & also the beautiful oguta lake resort
Re: Are There Any Places Of Historical Interest In Your Town ? by Andrew3(m): 1:04pm On Jul 05, 2011
pafun:

cheesy cheesy cheesy Bros why you come talk now ? Naija people self ; so retentive cheesy

hmmmm na true ooo, am begining to suspect him, maybe he is writing an article or something, but nothing wrong with his request grin
Re: Are There Any Places Of Historical Interest In Your Town ? by Nobody: 1:26pm On Jul 05, 2011
since u don talk, go Awhum Monastery for Enugu they get one nice cave and water fall there.
Re: Are There Any Places Of Historical Interest In Your Town ? by pafun(m): 1:58pm On Jul 05, 2011
::Andrew:::

from makurdi we have river benue inundated with witches and fishes, good for tourism grin grin

historically the river was said to have eliminated, assassinated and annihilated a large number of people

Bros na for dat area you from come ? If you see how I take pity you grin
If na me too I go run comot thic country
Re: Are There Any Places Of Historical Interest In Your Town ? by africhika(f): 2:47pm On Jul 05, 2011
my whole town is of historical interest cool
Re: Are There Any Places Of Historical Interest In Your Town ? by Dotman01(m): 2:48pm On Jul 05, 2011
pafun:

Example :
Ibadan : Bower Tower , Mapo Hall ,UI Zoo , Agodi gardens , Cocoa House, Old WNTV building , Liberty Stadium

+ galaxy tv building, cultural centre, ori-oke mokola, IITA
Re: Are There Any Places Of Historical Interest In Your Town ? by babaowo: 3:01pm On Jul 05, 2011
@africhika where is your town
Re: Are There Any Places Of Historical Interest In Your Town ? by ifffffy(f): 3:10pm On Jul 05, 2011
Yeah, we av erin-ijesa waterfall in osun state, where dere is 7 floor nd dere is a waterfal in each floor, it wil take u 1hr30mins to get 2 d 7th floor 4rm d 1st, nd u climb rocks like mad, as 4 me i dont usually proceed more dan d 2nd floor, It is jst wonderful.
Re: Are There Any Places Of Historical Interest In Your Town ? by cvibe: 5:15pm On Jul 05, 2011
Best to post pics alongside what you're naming, so we can see what you're talking about.
Re: Are There Any Places Of Historical Interest In Your Town ? by iice(f): 5:23pm On Jul 05, 2011
::Andrew:::

Lmao grin grin I remember hearing that when i used to pass that state.

In Jos, we have Sherry Hills.
Re: Are There Any Places Of Historical Interest In Your Town ? by Nobody: 5:43pm On Jul 05, 2011
There is an old tree in my village that is up to 4 electric poles long. The tree could go for a place of sightseeing and is more than 200years old.
Re: Are There Any Places Of Historical Interest In Your Town ? by tpia5: 6:08pm On Jul 05, 2011
not that i know of.
Re: Are There Any Places Of Historical Interest In Your Town ? by ikooko(m): 6:23pm On Jul 05, 2011
1) Has anyone ever heard of this saying ''Ibadan lo'mo o'ko mo layipo'' well the saying originated from an historical place located in the heart of Ibadan, but not known to many people even though they are familiar with the saying.

The place is located at Beere after Mapo Hill, as if you are going to Galaxy TV, it's on your right, an unpopular ancient tower, inside a primary school.
The tower is constructed in such a way that it has 2 entrance doors at the bottom and 2 spiral staircase that lead to the top.  The attraction is that, if two people enters the two doors, they will not meet until they get to the top, but they will be seeing and hearing each other. Anyone in ibadan can cross check the location and revert.

2) Yankari Game reserve is another wonderful place for people around  Bauchi state.
3) Dadin Kowa Dam in Gombe state is a place to visit.
Please come to Gombe state and I will show you arround.
Re: Are There Any Places Of Historical Interest In Your Town ? by jerryben12: 7:07pm On Jul 05, 2011
Yes, my grand father's house.
Re: Are There Any Places Of Historical Interest In Your Town ? by newdeal(m): 8:10pm On Jul 05, 2011
Why do we travel to London to look at old buildings built by dead people who don't mean anything to us ? There are a lot of places which can enrich our knowledge about us and our own culture

There are many places of historical interest in Nigeria no doubt but how secured and well regulated are they for interested tourists, especially those who do not have private body-guards?
Earlier this year for instance I was in Lagos and visited one of the beaches with a friend and we had to contend with the nuisance of all kinds of fees at road-blocks mounted by hemp-smoking touts who also double as beggars, so desperate they will stop at nothing to extract money from patrons they considered rich.

Meanwhile, here, I can just go to Brighton Beach, London Eye or any other place of interest, pay for any facility I want to use and just relax and enjoy myself without any fear of harassment- see the difference? We take too many things for granted in naija
Re: Are There Any Places Of Historical Interest In Your Town ? by Remii(m): 9:01pm On Jul 05, 2011
Inisa Odo Otin, LGA, Osun state: A monument was erected at the bank of River Otin to commemorate the defeat of Ilorin during the Jalumi war.
Re: Are There Any Places Of Historical Interest In Your Town ? by odumchi: 9:12pm On Jul 05, 2011
Yes there are smiley

We have a school that was built in the early 20th century honoring Madam Mary Slazor who abolished the act of twin killing in my hometown, Arochukwu.

We also have a shrine called Ibini Ukpabi which was a large and famous oracle in the olden days and was on the slave route that sold many people to the Europeans.
Re: Are There Any Places Of Historical Interest In Your Town ? by prince0(m): 11:05am On Jul 06, 2011
Edo State:

Gele-Gele Seaport - Where the first white men entered Nigeria from
Re: Are There Any Places Of Historical Interest In Your Town ? by Emmyk(m): 3:56pm On Jul 06, 2011
Titcombe College, maybe.
Re: Are There Any Places Of Historical Interest In Your Town ? by pafun(m): 5:25pm On Jul 06, 2011
newdeal:

There are many places of historical interest in Nigeria no doubt but how secured and well regulated are they for interested tourists, especially those who do not have private body-guards?
Earlier this year for instance I was in Lagos  and visited one of the beaches with a friend and we had to contend with the nuisance of all kinds of fees at road-blocks mounted by hemp-smoking touts who also double as beggars, so desperate they will stop at nothing to extract money from patrons they considered rich.

Meanwhile, here, I can just go to Brighton Beach, London Eye or any other place of interest, pay for any facility I want to use and just relax and enjoy myself without any fear of harassment- see the difference? We take too many things for granted in naija

Bros, take water drink. You go chop banana ? We self done visit Brighton beach, London Eye taya. If you know any place of "historical interest" in "your nigerian town" (I am sure you are/was  Nigerian even if brown pali ) please let us know.  grin grin
Re: Are There Any Places Of Historical Interest In Your Town ? by africhika(f): 7:22pm On Jul 06, 2011
the village shrine
Re: Are There Any Places Of Historical Interest In Your Town ? by hallo(f): 11:08am On Jul 07, 2011
IDANRE HILL in Ondo State, its a beautiful sight to behold and climb
Re: Are There Any Places Of Historical Interest In Your Town ? by jaybee3(m): 11:13am On Jul 07, 2011
Pictures please
Re: Are There Any Places Of Historical Interest In Your Town ? by joddin(m): 1:46am On Apr 20, 2013
BOWER TOWER, IBADAN

THAT STENCH AROUND "LAYIPO"...

The offensive smell cum stinking stench on the way to "LAYIPO" is really a Big Turn-Off.
Although many Numerous FOR-PROFIT ONLY Spritual Churches dot the untarred dusty trail leading to the Tower today, and even all around it, and they are still clearing more of the "Igbo Agala" or "AGALA FOREST" within which BOWER TOWER is situated to set up many more Mushroom Churches usually given an "OKE" or "ORI-OKE" appellation... The one that caught my attention the most was "Ori-Oke Se Gan Mi Dogo" which literarily means "THE MOUNT OF TURN MY SHAME TO GLORY" in Yoruba Language. Regardless of this unholy proliferation of spiritual churches around "LAYIPO", the stench is getting worse and even ten times more repulsive!

Shouldn't The Federal Government of Nigeria and The Oyo State Government Re-Value, Re-Package, Renovate and Re-align this rare tourist attraction in the heart of the "Evil Forest" in Ibadan to the best international standards?

The ONLY symbol of Modernity, Renaissance and Life on the Oke-Are Hill(the highest of the proverbial 7 hills enclosing Ibadan like that of Rome) in which LAYIPO; "The Twining/Whirling Tower" is located is the Good, Old, Catholic Minor Seminary, ST THERESA'S CATHOLIC MINOR SEMINARY, which strategically also jealously owns and guards a key historical monument; THE FIRST (CATHOLIC) CHURCH in Ibadan, which today is gladly et proudly referred to as their "OLD CHAPEL".
To say the least, a visit to BOWER TOWER would not be complete without "stealing" a quick glance at the "OLD CHAPEL" of Oke-Are Community. AD ALTARE DEI...

Monsieur Uddin Joseph(JODDIN)@uddinjoseph
klout.com/uddinjoseph
uddinj2005@yahoo.com

(1) (2) (Reply)

Ooni Of Ife's Breathtaking Castle (photos) / Translate This Yoruba Sentence Into English / Why We Should Support Tribal Marriages

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 42
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.