Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,622 members, 7,809,291 topics. Date: Friday, 26 April 2024 at 07:21 AM

3 Futa Students Bag Award On Software Creation - Programming - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Science/Technology / Programming / 3 Futa Students Bag Award On Software Creation (6720 Views)

Mobile Learning App Creation? / Please Help On Software Deployment / Questions On Software Business (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

3 Futa Students Bag Award On Software Creation by Nobody: 8:40pm On Jul 05, 2011
AKURE- THREE final year students of the Federal University of Technology, Akure, FUTA, in Ondo State have won the Nigerian version of a Microsoft-sponsored software creation competition to represent the country in the United States.

The students are David Olaniyan of the Department of Electrical and Electronics Engineering, Taiwo Orogbangba of the Computer Science Department and Toluwanimi Kolawole of Agriculture Science Department.

They are expected to travel to the US next week where they will compete with others across the world in using software to solve socio-economic and medical problems.

Speaking with newsmen, the students' spokesman, David Olaniyan said, "our team came up with a software solution we named Medicare and it is aimed at enabling the provision of accessible, affordable and quality health care to all.

Medicare has its primary target as developing and underdeveloped countries where the doctor to patient ratio is alarmingly small.”

Medicare leverages the efforts and skill of the few available doctors in these countries to reach the millions of rural community dwellers who do not have access to quality and professional health care."

"Part of the US competition is a "Peoples' Choice Award" where people across the globe would vote online for a particular team. So, we solicit for votes from Nigerians. are to represent the country at the international finals coming up in New York, USA on the 8thto 13thof July, 2011.

We are to compete with the winners from other countries by presenting our software solution to a panel of judges. The project was accessed for the Problem Definition, Solution and Innovation, Technical Architecture, Business Viability and Presentation."

http://www.vanguardngr.com/2011/07/3-futa-students-bag-award-on-software-creation/
Re: 3 Futa Students Bag Award On Software Creation by 4good(m): 9:26pm On Jul 05, 2011
Good news. I wish them best.
Re: 3 Futa Students Bag Award On Software Creation by Afam4eva(m): 9:41pm On Jul 05, 2011
Congrats to them. What software did they create?
Re: 3 Futa Students Bag Award On Software Creation by enyojo(f): 9:43pm On Jul 05, 2011
Later now some frustrated Nairalanders will come around saying Nigerian graduates and Engineers are Worthless.
Re: 3 Futa Students Bag Award On Software Creation by Afam4eva(m): 9:48pm On Jul 05, 2011
Majority are worthless.
Re: 3 Futa Students Bag Award On Software Creation by Nobody: 11:13pm On Jul 05, 2011
afam4eva:

Majority are worthless.

Cant argue with this one.

afam4eva:

Congrats to them. What software did they create?

Below is all the info for now. I'll also be reading into this for more delectable information. I trust the USA to brain-drain them in the near future.

"our team came up with a software solution we named Medicare and it is aimed at enabling the provision of accessible, affordable and quality health care to all.
Medicare has its primary target as developing and underdeveloped countries where the doctor to patient ratio is alarmingly small.”
Re: 3 Futa Students Bag Award On Software Creation by OAM4J: 12:00am On Jul 06, 2011
Very Good!
Re: 3 Futa Students Bag Award On Software Creation by Fayimora(m): 9:36am On Jul 06, 2011
Awesome! I just hope the population of Nigeria counts on the votes.
Re: 3 Futa Students Bag Award On Software Creation by mamagee3(f): 12:13am On Jul 07, 2011
Congratulations to them!!!
Re: 3 Futa Students Bag Award On Software Creation by manny4life(m): 12:21am On Jul 07, 2011
Very nice though

Question, the software is "Medicare", and they really did not explain the concepts of how this "Medicare" works? I mean, what is the model behind it?
Oh well, I should only say that need to explain a lil further on this "Medicare" software.
Re: 3 Futa Students Bag Award On Software Creation by buzugee(m): 12:22am On Jul 07, 2011
enyojo:

Later now some frustrated Nairalanders will come around saying Nigerian graduates and Engineers are Worthless.
grin grin grin grin
Re: 3 Futa Students Bag Award On Software Creation by Nobody: 12:25am On Jul 07, 2011
The only way you can make them proud is to vote for them, i think they are awesome, they need our votes, your vote will count, start voting.
Re: 3 Futa Students Bag Award On Software Creation by Ruq: 12:28am On Jul 07, 2011
Kudos wink wink wink wink wink wink wink
Re: 3 Futa Students Bag Award On Software Creation by ayex0001: 12:29am On Jul 07, 2011
I wish them the best in The States
Re: 3 Futa Students Bag Award On Software Creation by hipinnacle: 1:40am On Jul 07, 2011
i am proud to be a futarian. ride on guys
Re: 3 Futa Students Bag Award On Software Creation by Nobody: 2:36am On Jul 07, 2011
This will be good exposure for them. wish them the best!
Re: 3 Futa Students Bag Award On Software Creation by happyday: 4:42am On Jul 07, 2011
Really need to witness more of these in Nigeria,wish them the best in the pursuits!
Re: 3 Futa Students Bag Award On Software Creation by apoti(m): 6:00am On Jul 07, 2011
Now that's my Alma Mater wink

Congrats guys
Re: 3 Futa Students Bag Award On Software Creation by genetokky(m): 6:39am On Jul 07, 2011
congratulatoins guys. FUTARIANS no dey carry last.
Re: 3 Futa Students Bag Award On Software Creation by dayotheone(m): 7:05am On Jul 07, 2011
great futarian, we are too much,
am proud to be a futarian
Re: 3 Futa Students Bag Award On Software Creation by Sike(m): 7:45am On Jul 07, 2011
Iyen na 9ice joh! *thumbs up*
Re: 3 Futa Students Bag Award On Software Creation by farochron(m): 8:09am On Jul 07, 2011
I am very proud to be an Ex-FUTARIAN. We are not doing badly at all. The Federal Govt should start bringing them out. They are there hiding in all our institutions.
Re: 3 Futa Students Bag Award On Software Creation by georgem(m): 8:16am On Jul 07, 2011
sure thats great. its like FUTA students are outshining other students these days in software engineering. was at the Nigerian Computer Society (NCS) last month and i watched with interest 2 of their students demo their applications. thumbs up guys
Re: 3 Futa Students Bag Award On Software Creation by shakers(m): 8:26am On Jul 07, 2011
yeah i am proud to be a FUTA alumnus, but stress and plenty hardwork is what the school is known for, i am proud of them though i could not go back there for my masters lol
Re: 3 Futa Students Bag Award On Software Creation by bountimore: 8:30am On Jul 07, 2011
Glad to be one too, MEE101 with drawing board show me pepper!, lmao!
Re: 3 Futa Students Bag Award On Software Creation by Konjour(m): 9:02am On Jul 07, 2011
Congrats to 'em. (Wouldn't consider myself a proper Alumnus of FUTA though,but at least i finished my nursery and primary education there. grin grin
Re: 3 Futa Students Bag Award On Software Creation by atasteve: 9:23am On Jul 07, 2011
Weldone guys!!! More grease to your elbow.
Re: 3 Futa Students Bag Award On Software Creation by dipo2much(m): 9:41am On Jul 07, 2011
Welldone to †нє lads. But i don't exactly concur to giving any credit to 'nigerian universities on this one'. Whoever knows anytin about programming and software creation knows that its more about the ingenuity of †нє creator than †нє sch he/she is attending. Moreover of †нє 3 students who wrote †нє program, only one of them is a computer scientist. Agric engineering' syllabus doesn't take programming beyond 100level, so I don't give FUTA or 'nigerian universities' any credit on this one. All accolades should go to †нє 3 young men who looked beyond school and classwork to develop interest in computer programming. Software Development is a whole different ballgame compared with 'programming languages' as a course. And NO university in Nigeria offers software engineering as a course
Re: 3 Futa Students Bag Award On Software Creation by Yankee01: 10:08am On Jul 07, 2011
Good Job Guys! All the best.
Re: 3 Futa Students Bag Award On Software Creation by fm7070: 10:13am On Jul 07, 2011
@dipo2much
Initially, I didn't want to comment on this post, but your sincere comment will make me do so. If the software is worth something reasonable, it is definitely the effort of the student (who probably had programming knowledge outside the University syllabus).
Let's see if they will scale through with their contemporaries all over the world. However, I wish them the best.
but Nigerian Universities and lecturers should wake up from their slumbers. As far as computer science and related courses are concerned, they're mere mediocres.

(1) (2) (Reply)

Introduction To R Programming / Aptech Or Niit? / Learn,Teach and Earn online on macaranta.com.

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 27
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.