Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,158,914 members, 7,838,265 topics. Date: Thursday, 23 May 2024 at 06:15 PM

Jonathan Shuns Talks On Islamic Banking! - Business (2) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Business / Jonathan Shuns Talks On Islamic Banking! (6110 Views)

Ngozi: Islamic Banking Is Ok / Stanbic IBTC Gets Licence For Islamic Banking Operations In Nigeria / No Going Back On Islamic Banking - Sanusi (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Jonathan Shuns Talks On Islamic Banking! by executinal(m): 9:09am On Jul 07, 2011
Does it mean that GEJ can not stop this man Called Boko Sanusi Haram from implementing this Sharia Bank? i thought Late Yaradua stopped Soludo when he wanted to devalue our currency. If Yaradua can do it, then what stops GEJ from sending this Man to exile Bushit angry angry angry angry
Re: Jonathan Shuns Talks On Islamic Banking! by Leyelyzo: 9:20am On Jul 07, 2011
The christians are watching their fellow attacking muslims, islam and inciting bad comment on our prophet; nobody deemed it fit 2condem that. Well there is no need joining issue with fools who do not respect other peoples' ideology, moral and values. Sorry guyz islamic banking has come to stay wether you like it or not, and you critics will be dissapointed. BINU BINU, EMA BINU; PEGAN PEGAN, EMA PEGAN; TOLOHUN BATIN GBE WAGA, ABUSE BUSE
Re: Jonathan Shuns Talks On Islamic Banking! by bisiaet: 9:22am On Jul 07, 2011
My thinking is that for Sanusi to have granted the License in the first place, it means that Presidency is in the know and for Jonathan to have allowed it he meant good for the nation. Lets just be objective about this matter. I can assure you that if there is any ulterior motive behind it aside our economic growth, IT WILL SURELY FAIL AND FALL.  God bless Nigeria!

Sorry brother though you are entitle to your opinion and please dont take my word personal but I need to tell you you got it wrong sorry to say this. All this lets wait to see please check the history of Nigeria till date any boiling issue of this sort and we end up say lets see the result has always cost Nigeria a lot in fact a serious devastation. When Nigeria was amagamated some dont want this so called Hausa to join us but people say let wait and see NOW in capital what is the result? Headache, Heart, Religious violence, Petrolsucking, Power hungry, uneducated and so on. Let wait and see Boko animals statted people say lets wait NOW we have waited and it has turned out to become a menace that Nigeria is now on world radar on terrorist sect.

Let wait and see Nigerdelta were asking for a fair share of oil wealth nothing was done people say lets wait and he turned out to full scale rebellion if not for God intervention. Now is the i d i o t called Lamido now that is terrorizing Nigeria now through banking and you are saying we should wait and see please see what and wait for what? Wait untill Alqueda move their base to Nigeria by having easy access to bank and cash Please Sanusi must GO in capital he must be fired, period!
Re: Jonathan Shuns Talks On Islamic Banking! by ginger2: 9:57am On Jul 07, 2011
Plz will Sanusi spent anything more than a year in the office? We all should pray that man to leave office. He wants to divide Nigeria but God pass am
Re: Jonathan Shuns Talks On Islamic Banking! by Nobody: 10:27am On Jul 07, 2011
All those haters of the holy prophet Muhammd (Peace and blessings of Allah be upon him) should please read these opinion oof the man by more reasonable non muslims:

1) In 1978, Jewish American astrophysicist Michael H. Hart (born April 28, 1932) released a book titled "The 100: A Ranking of the Most Influential Persons in History". This book, which has sold over 500,000 copies to date, has been somewhat controversial, not least due to its placing of Muhammad (the founder of Islam) over Jesus Christ (the founder of Christianity).

Mr. Hart’s List (Top 10)
1 Muhammad
2 Isaac Newton
3 Jesus Christ
4 Buddha
5 Confucius
6 Paul
7 Ts'ai Lun
8 Johann Gutenberg
9 Christopher Columbus
10 Albert Einstein
His reasons:
a) Since there are roughly twice as many Christians as Moslems in the world, it may initially seem strange that Muhammad has been ranked higher than Jesus. There are two principal reasons for that decision. First, Muhammad played a far more important role in the development of Islam than Jesus did in the development of Christianity. Paul was the main developer of Christian theology, its principal proselytizer, and the author of a large portion of the New Testament. Muhammad, however, was responsible for both the theology of Islam and its main ethical and moral principles. In addition, he played the key role in proselytizing the new faith, and in establishing the religious practices of Islam.

b) Muhammad (unlike Jesus) was a secular as well as a religious leader. In fact, as the driving force behind the Arab conquests, he may well rank as the most influential political leader of all time.
2) JAMES GAVIN, described as a United States army man, a retired lieutenant general. He says - "AMONG LEADERS WHO HAVE MADE THE GREATEST IMPACT THROUGH AGES, I WOULD CONSIDER MOHAMMED, JESUS CHRIST, MAYBE LENIN, POSSIBLY MAO. AS FOR A LEADER WHOSE QUALITIES WE COULD MOST USE NOW, I WOULD CHOOSE JOHN F. KENNEDY."

3) JULES MASSERMAN, United States psychoanalyst and professor of the Chicago University, gives us, unlike the other contributors, the basis for making his selection. He gives us his reason for choosing his greatest LEADER of all times. He wants us to find out, what we are really looking for in the man, the qualities that sets him apart. We may be looking for any sets of qualities. As in the case of Michael H. Hart, he was looking for a person wielding the MOST Influence.1
However, Masserman does not want us to depend on our fancies or prejudices: he wants to establish objective standards for judging, before we confer greatness upon anybody.
He says that "Leaders must fulfill three functions--"

No. 1 THE LEADER MUST PROVIDE FOR THE WELL-BEING OF THE LEAD ,
The leader, whoever he is, must be interested in your welfare. He must not be looking for milking cows for his own greed like the Rev. Jim Jones of Jonestown, Guyana, of the "Suicide Cult" fame. You will remember him as the man who committed suicide together with 910 of his followers, all at the same time EN MASSE!
The United States Government was on his trail and he was on the verge of being caught for certain felonies. But before they could apprehend him, he thought it wise to eliminate himself, together with all his followers, so that no one would be left to testify against him. He laced lemonade with cynide and inspired his devotees to drink it, and so they did and they all died in disgrace! In the meantime, it was discovered that the Rev. Jim Jones had salted away fifteen million dollars and stacked it in his own account in banks throughout the world. All his victims were his milking cows and he was exploiting them to satisfy his own lust and greed. Masserman's hero must be found to benefit his sheep, his flock, and not himself

`No. 2 THE LEADER OR WOULD BE LEADER MUST PROVIDE A SOCIAL ORGANIZATION IN ` WHICH PEOPLE FEEL RELATIVELY SECURE ,
Unlike the Marxist, the Facist, the Nazi, the Neo-Nazi the Ashkenazi, [The Jews from Germany, Central Europe and Eastern Europe, mostly from Russia who are in unlawful occupation of Palestine. There is something prophetic in the name itself - the Jews are doing to the people of the occupied territories exactly what the Nazis did to them. What an irony!] the Zionist, and their fellow-travellers, Professor Masserman, in his brief essay in the TIME magazine, did not spell this out. But his beliefs and feelings are abundantly clear. He is in search of a Leader who will provide a social order free of self, and greed and racism: for all these "isms" carry within them the seeds of their own destruction.
There's still with us much sorrow and sin, Injustice, Oppression, wrong and hate. Still does Arrogance deaden Conscience Rob struggling souls of e'en the crumbs Of Pity, and make, of loathsome flesh And crumbling dust, fair-seeming Idols For worship. Still does Ignorance blow A mighty Horn and try to shame True Wisdom. Still do men drive Slaves,
- - Protesting smoothly the end of Slavery! Still does Greed devour the substance Of helpless ones within her power. Nay, more, - -
the fine Individual Voice Is smothered in the raucous din Of groups and Crowds that madly shout What they call Slogans New, - - Old Falsehoods long discredited , Abdullah Yusuf Ali
No. 3 THAT THIS LEADER MUST PROVIDE HIS PEOPLE WITH ONE SET OF BELIEFS
It is easy to talk of the Fellowship of Faith and the Brotherhood of Man, but in South Africa today, there are a thousand different sects and denominations among the Whites (people of European descent) and three thousand among the Blacks (of African descent). The White Churches in my country are Spawning "Black" Bishops, fast, but in the first three hundred years of European conquest, they did not produce a single Black Bishop. Even now, the Black, the White, the Colored and the Indian cannot pray together in most of the Dutch Reformed Churches. The hatred between the Christian sects was aptly described by the Christian Emperor Julian, who said: "NO WILD BEASTS ARE SO HOSTILE TO MAN AS CHRISTIAN SECTS IN GENERAL ARE TO ONE ANOTHER." Sayed Amir Ali in his "Spirit of lslam,"- page 1 ii.
With the foregoing three standards, Masserman searches history and analyses Louis Pasteur, Salk, Gandhi, Confucius, Alexander the Great, Caesar, Hitler, Buddha, Jesus and the rest; finally coming to the conclusion that - PERHAPS THE GREATEST LEADER OF ALL TIMES WAS MUHAMMED, WHO COMBINED ALL THREE FUNCTIONS. (and) TO A LESSER DEGREE, MOSES DID THE SAME
The question is why would Masserman, as an American Jew, a paid servant of the Government proclaim to his countrymen of over two hundred million Jews and Christians that not Jesus, not Moses but Muhummed was "The greatest Leader of all times!" ACCOUNT FOR THAT!
Re: Jonathan Shuns Talks On Islamic Banking! by Gift4all(m): 10:33am On Jul 07, 2011
I want to be as objective as possible. I will ask these questions and then answer them.

1. Are Islamic banks going to give free loans? What is the non-interest in it, if the borrower has to share the profit/loss with the bank?

2. Even if they can give free loans, then where will they be getting the money from?

3. Why is SLS so passionate about it? Why can't he try to convince people to buy into the idea in a gentle manner, but is challenging anyone to go to court? Has he ever asked anyone to go to court and challenge any policy of the CBN other than this one?

4. What will be the effect of Islamic Banking to the Nigerian banking sector?

MY ANSWERS:
1. The Loans given by Islamic banks are not as free (interest free) as they want us to believe, since the bank shares the profit with the borrowers. Don’t they also share their profits with their depositors? I think the major difference here is that Islamic banking is based on shariah principles…, Their borrowers cannot use the loans obtained to engage in ‘haram’ (forbidden) businesses such as beer business, pork business etc.

2. There is no free lunch, even in Freetown. The proposed Islamic banks are profit making businesses. If they give out cheap loans, given Nigeria’s business climate, how will they make their profits? If they don’t make profits, how will the banks be financed to keep them running? This is the very reason why some people are suspecting that the Islamic banks are going to be sponsored by Arab countries to promote Islam. I don’t even want to go to the issue of using the banks to sponsor terrorism.

3. I will use Dr. Ngozi Okonjo-Iweala’s words to advice SLS: “Let’s put sentiment aside and look at the issue dispassionately”. I think SLS is too passionate about this Islamic banking thing. He said it has been there since 1996, why has it not generated so much interest until now? I think he is doing more to it that makes people suspect him of promoting a certain agenda, given that he is a Muslim . The CBN should educate people more on this issue. Do not just challenge people to go to court. The use of the word “islamic” should be avoided.

4. Given the sentiments attached to this issue of Islamic banking, I am almost certain that Islamic banking will have a negative effect on Nigeria and especially the banking sector. Majority of Muslems in the North will rejoice that they now have their own banks…, while most Christians will not patronize these banks. Instead, Christians will form their own Christian banks (the CBN must approve, to balance the equation).

Many northerners have been complaining that they don’t have any stake in Nigerian banks. They say all the banks are owned by the Southerners. Maybe this is an opportunity for northerners to own banks in Nigeria. And if these Islamic banks are established, they will concentrate mainly in the north, and then the northerners will withdraw their monies from existing banks to ‘their own banks’. THIS WILL BRING ABOUT DIVISION, DISCRIMINATION AND DISUNITY.

Islamic banking would not make any positive impact, if at all it does not bring about negative effects to Nigeria. Not that the system may not be beneficial, but this is Nigeria. Let the CBN cool down a little bit, educate people and convince them to accept Islamic banking. For the meantime, I suggest that the existing banks be given approval to operate Islamic banking window for now. If the people (in whose favour a policy is made) are not in favour of that policy, how will it succeed? I rest my case.
Re: Jonathan Shuns Talks On Islamic Banking! by cyril10(m): 10:35am On Jul 07, 2011
Sanusi Lamido is an islamic extremist, who doesn't give a jack if Nigeria boils or not, all he is interested in is to make nigeria an islamic nation. He is so engrossed with islam that he doesn't care about others. This is nigeria, for those that think about  islamic banking being a non interest bank will easily grant loans to nigerians whom the world see as thieves, it will definitely be difficult for ordinary nigerians to access loans from this sharia banks. Sanusi is trying to make it look as if nigeria will become an islamic country becouse of the intoduction of islamic banking, he should be humble kind enough to explain what the bank is all about, not trying to make it look as if the muslims has the final say about how and where nigeria should be.
Re: Jonathan Shuns Talks On Islamic Banking! by member479760: 10:53am On Jul 07, 2011
who is the president of nigeria?
Re: Jonathan Shuns Talks On Islamic Banking! by Ayoobscom(m): 11:09am On Jul 07, 2011
hush your swords

Uncock your guns

Tuck your knives

and walk up to your nearest bank for Islamic banking transaction

At times the soothest rain falls from the hatest surface of the sky

No more cut throat interest except you wish to dies as a fool henceforth

God bless his genius .Doctor Lamido Sanusi
Re: Jonathan Shuns Talks On Islamic Banking! by cvibe: 11:16am On Jul 07, 2011
nakedall:

who is the president of nigeria?

Stale Fresh air
Re: Jonathan Shuns Talks On Islamic Banking! by Showab1: 11:24am On Jul 07, 2011
To all haters of Islam, ''Islamic bank'' has come to stay and there is nothing any one of you can do to stop it.

Is it compulsory you bank with them?

If anyone feels he/she is not comfortable with it because it is called ''Islamic Bank'', then go aheaad with the other availablabe banking options.
Re: Jonathan Shuns Talks On Islamic Banking! by nagoma(m): 11:28am On Jul 07, 2011
@deadie; Somebody (Piss Be Upon Him) married a 6 yr old girl and consummated the marriage when she was only 9. Today, a lot of people aspire to be like him.

This is not the thread for that dude! We can discuss that famous 6th Century AD Wedding along with the European Bishops of today and now and what they do to boys. We can also discuss how your tribes intermarried with monkeys about that time 6th century AD.
Re: Jonathan Shuns Talks On Islamic Banking! by ossyme(m): 11:29am On Jul 07, 2011
Genuine as some reactions may be, majority stem from neurosis, narrow-mindedness and sheer hate.
It still does not rule out the simple fact that an intellectual approach to the islamic banking controversy has not been largely and deeply considered.
I would have preferred a situation where  the CBN-organised conference has representatives from all dierse groups including CAN such that fears could easily be dispelled.
May i also reiterate that we,here in Nigeria,in  most cases lack objectivity when it comes to contemporaneous analysis of issues.
A simple argument like the word 'islamic' should not be associated with it will appear too lame to stand on the podium of  objective analysis since Islam has its unique economic and banking frameworks such that  easily and palpably  differentiate it from any other versions of non-interest banking models.
Also trust to see other banks scramble for the license in order to retain  their diverse customer base.
I humbly submit that issues like this are better discussed in a well- organized intellectual fashion and even aired publicly to ensure mass enlightenment.
This inciting, catabolic, inflammatory and pugnacious approach displayed by eminent  figures as regards the islamic banking issue will only further enrich the culture of parochial subjectivity ,
Re: Jonathan Shuns Talks On Islamic Banking! by asudan: 11:32am On Jul 07, 2011
well for mow i do not think it is idea to introduce this sysytem of banking.with the way things are going,Sanusi may not complete his tenure.the system is not bad probably because of the bitterless and hatred both religion have for each other lead to this debate.forget about how it is working in most developing countries,it can really work fully until the bitternes and hatred for both religion died.
Re: Jonathan Shuns Talks On Islamic Banking! by bisiaet: 11:32am On Jul 07, 2011
Plz  will Sanusi spent anything more than a year in the office? We all should pray that man to leave office. He wants to divide Nigeria but God pass am

Yeah he has to go. Sanusi must GO !!!!!

Sanusi is purely a disguise satanic agent send by the North to destroy Nigeria through a strange method by using banking tactics, he wil fail and he has fail.

As I had said in one of my post here in Nairaland that I have travelled far and wide live in so many countries it is only in my country I have ever heard or see ordinary Central Bank Goevernor become so powerful even than the country itself its unbelieveable.

Only in this country during this animal called Sanusi that CBN governor is always on front of national dailies everyday Sanusi say this, Lamido want to do that, Sanusi talk this he talk that in fact Finance and Economic Minister became a stooge where Sanusi is because he is the one talking and designing silly policies and actualised it by himself this is so embarrassing and a slap to a whole Nigeria as a country.

This Nigeria Cancer and HIV descendant has use petrolsucking to destroy and dive Nigeria it never work, they have use religious violence it never work, they are using Boko animal right now and they have sense it about to fail, now is Islamic banking on the trend and it would still faile we are waiting for the next tactics you suckers.

Nigeria will not knee for you or bow for you it is you the North that will bow out of Nigeria to form your Almanjiri Republic we are sick of you all, you are a really a heartache boloks, anywhere you are or appointed your dream is always to collapse the place for religious interest but the truth one good day the dawn shall surely come. I just lost my head completely about this people.
Re: Jonathan Shuns Talks On Islamic Banking! by Showab1: 11:48am On Jul 07, 2011
I can see most pple shouting Sanusi's name here and there, the last time I read it that the idea of ''Islamic Banking'' by CBN was started during Soludo's reign but nobody has ever come here to shout his name. Intead, they all keep on shouting Sanusi who is just implementing what he met on ground.
Re: Jonathan Shuns Talks On Islamic Banking! by slimtoney(m): 11:58am On Jul 07, 2011
Untill we put sentiments and destructive emotions behind us when it comes to issues of religion in this country, we will not make any reasonable progress. These constant relapse to emotional and sentimental feelings has casted a hood over the objective reasoning and analytical prowess of Nigerians. Little surprise, when you see a highly educated person(s) make comments on issues or take some actions that left so much to be desired.

While we are discussing fiscal issues here some people are busy castigating and saying things that cut like a knife against other peoples' belief and religion. This is realy uncalled for. Sanusi pursues issues with doggedness as long as he believe it is a just course. When he stood his ground against the threats and intimidation of law makers about their take home pay, we all applauded his stance and Nigerians spoke with one voice supporting him, what has happenede to that unanimous support, now that he asked that interest free banking system be introduce into the economy of this country. Both religion support this notion. Pls read your Bible and Quran thoroughly.

As long as some xtians cannot stand their fellow country men who are muslims. Saying words that hurts, hurling insults and abuse at the Holy Prophet at every little opportunity amounts to causing emotional trauma and abuse to those who are faithfuls of such religion. An emotionally battered individuals or group is prone to fight back when he has his fill . Xtians should therefore desist from insultive tendencies, because for every action there is a reaction. No right thinking muslim will dare say inflamatory things against Jesus christ as it is sinful in the sight of the most high God.Pls lets give peace a chance
Re: Jonathan Shuns Talks On Islamic Banking! by cold(m): 12:06pm On Jul 07, 2011
You may have a point there but these are the reasons why some people are genuinely scared of anything with Islamic appendage & you really can't blame them:

Re: Jonathan Shuns Talks On Islamic Banking! by agog: 12:18pm On Jul 07, 2011
Mr President, be aware that you are GOd-sent to Nigerian. You are the Mordecai of our time. Act decisively. This country belong to no particular religion group. Nigeria over the years have been more subjugated to Islam to the extent that Arabic was even written on our Naira!! Pls act and act fastly. Some people have said they will make this country ungovernable for a Southern President, and true to their word, it is coming to pass, in the form of Boko Haram. Pls nib them, together with their compatriots in the mud. To be an effective leader, as Napoleon Bonarparte taught, you must be ruthless (if need be).
God is with you and may He not let you be last Nigeria President, but if you ACT NOW  
Re: Jonathan Shuns Talks On Islamic Banking! by jamace(m): 12:25pm On Jul 07, 2011
On Non-interest banking, Dr Ngozi said from what she knows, she thinks Non-interest Banking is just another form of Banking whereby instead of the Investors getting interests on Loans offered, the Borrower and Lender share the Profits.
She said we should put emotions aside and look at it objectively. that countries that practice this are doing very well at it in addition to other types of banking.

pls lets stop all the noise about islamic banking/non- interest banking.
How many people have read the CBN modus operandi. I am dissappointed that even Bishop Okogie joined such noisemaking.
Islamic banking is just a form of non-interest banking and any body can have access to it.
I am a born-again christian and I would not bat an eyelid before taking a loan from an Islamic bank.
Note that that statement is not pro Islamic banking statement. It is a political talk, sitting on the fence statement.
Re: Jonathan Shuns Talks On Islamic Banking! by say4gunit(m): 12:46pm On Jul 07, 2011
valacious:

funny as it may sound, dis man's way of life while alive should get any serious minded muslim as to why they want to follow him. Seriously, I wouldnt choose someone that married several wives(even a kid girl) as my role model if it were to be dis days or even then. No offences meant. But 'honest' muslims have a lot of PR work to do, cos i cant imagine even a fool embracing islam with d violent attitude of dis her followers!
D1CK!
Re: Jonathan Shuns Talks On Islamic Banking! by seyibrown(f): 12:48pm On Jul 07, 2011
Islamic banking is not in itself a bad idea or the problem! The reputation of Islam is the problem! Islamic Banking will benefit many people. Will Islamic banking services be available to all eligible interested Nigerians without the requirement to become Muslim?? Will the introduction lead to further division and religious discrimination amongst Nigerians?? Time will tell . . . .   grin  grin  grin

The beginning of the end of Nigeria started a loooooooooooooooooooong time ago! It's end is nearer! grin grin
Re: Jonathan Shuns Talks On Islamic Banking! by otondo55: 1:17pm On Jul 07, 2011
A report last June by the New York-based Wall Street Journal warned that “Islamic banking has not necessarily produced great returns.

Regulators must do a thorough job before approving any application for Islamic banking.” Quoting Junaid Bhatti,

part of the team that set up Islamic Bank of Britain (IBB), the report said

“the first Sharia-compliant bank approved by the Financial Services Authority has been a big disappointment. Sharia-compliant banking products have been a flop in Britain.”

http://saharareporters.com/article/islamic-banking-campaign-cbn-governor-or-kano-prince

Those who are well-informed on the matter would agree that there is no market for Islamic Banking in Nigeria yet or anywhere in Africa and this is the truth.

The current gimmick is merely political.

The banking system is too sophisticated and given the human mindset, very difficult to practice.

It’s like communism, very nice ideas, but a failure in practice.

Only in countries in which Islamic Banking is heavily subsidised by the state, has it been practicable.

Jonathan may shun talks but his economy is down the drain, a dollar is N164 and he is busy chasing rat with sanusi while his house on fire.
Re: Jonathan Shuns Talks On Islamic Banking! by texazzpete(m): 1:23pm On Jul 07, 2011
cold:

I'd strongly urge you to restrain yourself & stop making 'brainless' comments.You sit in your little corner halfway round the globe & pontificate on issues you know next to nothing about.All these arm chair professors sef.If you've ever lost a loved one or had your house razed to the ground or that beautiful Range you worked so hard to buy set ablaze with you only managing to escape by the skin of your teeth you'd have a different impression when anything with the Islam appendage is mentioned.

Correction: I sit in my chair in Nigeria and all i read on my screen is comments from a bunch of intolerant bigots who have no desire to discuss things rationally. Islamic banking has been on the cards even before and during the Soludo tenure. We did not spew this level of hatred when the MEND criminals were gunning down innocent people.

people have lost their loved ones to Policemen before, do we now hate all Policemen on sight?

stop being all emotional. Read up about Islamic banking and then bring forward an opinion. I'd like to see someone show clearly the disadvantages of this planned system. instead all we get is "Oh NoeZ, deez eeslameek banking is ze devil. Sanoosi is devilz incarnate. Lulz"

Pathetic.
Re: Jonathan Shuns Talks On Islamic Banking! by texazzpete(m): 1:25pm On Jul 07, 2011
cyril10:

Sanusi Lamido is an islamic extremist, who doesn't give a jack if Nigeria boils or not, all he is interested in is to make nigeria an islamic nation. He is so engrossed with islam that he doesn't care about others. This is nigeria, for those that think about  islamic banking being a non interest bank will easily grant loans to nigerians whom the world see as thieves, it will definitely be difficult for ordinary nigerians to access loans from this sharia banks. Sanusi is trying to make it look as if nigeria will become an islamic country becouse of the intoduction of islamic banking, he should be humble kind enough to explain what the bank is all about, not trying to make it look as if the muslims has the final say about how and where nigeria should be.

See what I mean by 'brainless comments'?
If i ask this clown to show (with logic!) that Sanusi is an Islamic extremist, what will he say?

I've seen this sort of imbecilic comments here before. Why is no-one challenging them?
Re: Jonathan Shuns Talks On Islamic Banking! by texazzpete(m): 1:29pm On Jul 07, 2011
tollu:

Granted, it might be a knee jerk reaction but I take exception to the brainless part.
What else do you expect? A certain word is associated with wanton destruction and major hate & intolerance for all things different then a public servant takes that word and associates it with something very vital. The banking law already recognises Non Interest banking, why make noise about it and try to cause division?

Of course, I'd react negatively. What with all the rumours of Al Qaeda moving base to Nigeria, the evidence of Boko Haram.
Nigerians would add up 2+2 and get 22.

Me oh, I am afraid

No, you're not afraid. if you truly were, you'd be putting more effort into demanding action from your FG to curb Boko Haram and to tackle the problem of illiteracy in the North.
Re: Jonathan Shuns Talks On Islamic Banking! by cold(m): 1:42pm On Jul 07, 2011
texazzpete:

Correction: I sit in my chair in Nigeria and all i read on my screen is comments from a bunch of intolerant bigots who have no desire to discuss things rationally. Islamic banking has been on the cards even before and during the Soludo tenure. We did not spew this level of hatred when the MEND criminals were gunning down innocent people.

people have lost their loved ones to Policemen before, do we now hate all Policemen on sight?

stop being all emotional. Read up about Islamic banking and then bring forward an opinion. I'd like to see someone show clearly the disadvantages of this planned system. instead all we get is "Oh NoeZ, deez eeslameek banking is ze devil. Sanoosi is devilz incarnate. Lulz"

Pathetic.
Where did I state that Islamic banking was wrong?I only pointed out that based on a protracted history of animosity between the major religious groups, people now have a well founded fear of anything with religious connotation.Except you want to feign ignorance & act like you've been living on Mars then you can continue with your pseudo intelligent argument
Re: Jonathan Shuns Talks On Islamic Banking! by onwunaeme: 2:19pm On Jul 07, 2011
Can someone please ask sanusi what he studied in school ? Why would someone be planning to call Islamic banking into play in a multi-regious country like Nigeria? Is sanusi not try to encourage the boko haram sect indirectly? I am Beginning to think that GEJ is a Slow thinker and is time he started using his brain.
Re: Jonathan Shuns Talks On Islamic Banking! by Gift4all(m): 2:30pm On Jul 07, 2011
slimtoney:

Sanusi pursues issues with doggedness as long as he believe it is a just course. When he stood his ground against the threats and intimidation of law makers about their take home pay, we all applauded his stance and Nigerians spoke with one voice supporting him, what has happenede to that unanimous support, now that he asked that interest free banking system be introduce into the economy of this country.

When yo do good, people support you and vice versa. Now Nigerians say they are not in support of this system, is it by force? Why didn't he go to court to challenge the NASS overhead budget when he noticed that it was too much (and perhaps illegal). Now he is challenging those opposed to Islamic banking to challenge it in the courts.
Re: Jonathan Shuns Talks On Islamic Banking! by maasoap(m): 3:09pm On Jul 07, 2011
The most famous and popular of all blood spillings was that of Jesus and the last time I checked wikipedia, muslims were not responsible for it. I think it's high time you Christians looked inwards because you're the source of most of the world's problems ranging from exporting wars and terrorism to foreign land, legalising homosexual (having forgotten Sodom & Gomora), church of satan and nudity.
Always making mockery of Islamic polygamy acceptance, yet many of them are products of polygamous family. It's a known fact that polygamy is on increase among Nigerian Christian households. A muslim with more than one wife has Mohammed as his role model. Who is a role model for Christian with one or more wife, Jesus or Paul? A religion in which you can't trust your Pastor with your kid, be a girl or boy. Sick people with sick religion.
Re: Jonathan Shuns Talks On Islamic Banking! by egift(m): 3:36pm On Jul 07, 2011
maasoap:

The most famous and popular of all blood spillings was that of Jesus and the last time I checked wikipedia, muslims were not responsible for it. I think it's high time you Christians looked inwards because you're the source of most of the world's problems ranging from exporting wars and terrorism to foreign land, legalising Same-sex (having forgotten Sodom & Gomora), church of satan and Unclothedness.
Always making mockery of Islamic polygamy acceptance, yet many of them are products of polygamous family. It's a known fact that polygamy is on increase among Nigerian Christian households. A muslim with more than one wife has Mohammed as his role model. Who is a role model for Christian with one or more wife, Jesus or Paul? A religion in which you can't trust your Pastor with your kid, be a girl or boy. Sick people with sick religion.

As hard as it is (being a Christian myself) - I really enjoyed your post, except for the highlighted part.
Re: Jonathan Shuns Talks On Islamic Banking! by texazzpete(m): 5:17pm On Jul 07, 2011
cold:

people now have a well founded fear of anything with religious connotation.

Including Christianity?
So if anything with a 'religious connotation' is wrong, why did you people keep silent when photos of GEJ kneeling down in subjugation before Pastor Adeboye were loving splashed across all the Nigerian dailies? Was that also a 'provocative act'?

Should we also ban Christian Religious Studies from our schools since it has 'religious connotations'?

It's called Islamic Banking because it is banking done according to and respecting Islamic law. it is called Islamic banking in lots of countries around the world. Changing the name in Nigeria would be in itself an admission of intolerance and distrust between both main religions in Nigeria. and that cannot be the official position of a responsible Government.

For those who say that this is ill-timed, i wonder what they have done with their brains. The deepening distrust between Christians and Muslims will not abate. Boko Haram will surely go stronger, buoyed on by the weak Government you lot voted in. Al Qaeda will watch Nigeria with greater interest. The violence and hatred will not reduce.

In short, there will NEVER be a 'good time' or even a 'better time'. You people have been lied to, believing the words of your pastors that Nigeria will get much better. Get real, it'll take a near miracle for things to change.

(1) (2) (3) (Reply)

YOUWIN: 539 Awardees Receive Payments / MTN Unlimited Calls And SMS / Breaking: Nigeria Stock Market Hits 9year High As Investors Gain N1.7tr In 8days

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 105
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.