Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,093 members, 7,814,828 topics. Date: Wednesday, 01 May 2024 at 08:30 PM

Question About Inheritance - Family - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Family / Question About Inheritance (403 Views)

Adopted Son Or Biological Son: Who Gets One's Inheritance? / Can I Sue My Father For Selling Our Inheritance, His Properties Anyhow? / Should Wife Give Her Inheritance To Her Husband? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply)

Question About Inheritance by sinistermind(m): 10:18am On Apr 11, 2022
So I need you guys opinion and getting an opinion from a legal standpoint is even better.

Mrs. K got married to Mr. B. Before the Marriage Mrs. K had a daughter who bears Mrs. K maiden name. The daughter lived with both Mrs. K and Mr. B as their daughter till they passed though there was never an official adoption. Mr. B and Mrs. K never had any child together.
Before Mr. B died, he gave “their” Power of Attorney. In his Will, he stated that Mrs. K is his sole beneficiary to his Estate but unfortunately she died before him and he was too sick to update the Will.

Question: Does “their” daughter have any legal claim to the property? Since he didn’t die intestate.
Re: Question About Inheritance by rickleye: 1:56pm On Apr 11, 2022
sinistermind:
So I need you guys opinion and getting an opinion from a legal standpoint is even better.

Mrs. K got married to Mr. B. Before the Marriage Mrs. K had a daughter who bears Mrs. K maiden name. The daughter lived with both Mrs. K and Mr. B as their daughter till they passed though there was never an official adoption. Mr. B and Mrs. K never had any child together.
Before Mr. B died, he gave “their” Power of Attorney. In his Will, he stated that Mrs. K is his sole beneficiary to his Estate but unfortunately she died before him and he was too sick to update the Will.

Question: Does “their” daughter have any legal claim to the property? Since he didn’t die intestate.

Before the eyes of the Law the daughter who lived with them is considered theirs and therefore sole survivor.
Now for a twist. Let's say that the husband is alive and both daughter and step-dad are not on good terms. The judge will likely split the estate . Being that she is only heir of the woman. And Mrs K is no longer alive, It should fall to the daughter.
P.S - Why not pay a Lawyer and get this as a fact.

(1) (Reply)

Daily Savings For An Apartment / The Flood For Lagos Today Ehn! No Be Here Ooo! / Thousands Are Dead From Ian, One Of Strongest And Costliest Storm In USA

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 9
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.