Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,780 members, 7,817,222 topics. Date: Saturday, 04 May 2024 at 08:21 AM

Adopted Son Or Biological Son: Who Gets One's Inheritance? - Family - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Family / Adopted Son Or Biological Son: Who Gets One's Inheritance? (19133 Views)

Husband Caught His Politician Wife In Bed With Their Adopted Son (Pictures) / Ghana: Family Reunites With 20-Year-Old Son Who Was Missing At Age 2 / 65-Year-Old Indonesian Grandmother Marries Her 24-Year-Old Adopted Son (Photos) (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (Reply) (Go Down)

Adopted Son Or Biological Son: Who Gets One's Inheritance? by FalseProphet1(m): 6:09pm On Jun 06, 2022
There's this mild drama currently going on in the family. My uncle died late last year (at an old age). The problem here is that they some delay in child birth, (7 years after their wedding to be prescise) so during this long wait, he and the wife decided to adopt a male child.

7 years after his adoption, children started popping in. They had a set of twins (males) and then 2 boys and a girl making it 5 biological children.

This my uncle was a wealthy man, so he had properties in the town of their state of origin and in the village.

Upon his death last year, the eldest son (the one who was adopted) sealed off the property in their village and claimed ownership of the 3 rental buildings in the town. This angered my uncle's brothers who were of the opinion that he's not family and therefore has no right to do such when the man's biological kids are very much around.

So they (the uncles) had a meeting with the biological sons of their late brother to get rid of what they termed an outcast in their midst.

They later invited the adopted young man to the village and used the community youths to beat him up and threatened to kill him if he doesn't stay away from their family properties. That he should look for his own biological parents and inherit whatever they left for him.

Now this didn't go down well, cos he used the police to lock up one of the twins and the whole family members are threatening fire and brimstone if the young man isn't released. They took the matter to the community elders who of course supported them by saying the adopted man has no right of forceful claim to any property unless it's given to him willingly by the family members.

As of now they have destroyed his wife's business in one of the buildings, burnt his car and have vowed to even kill him if he doesn't release their son.

That's why I brought it here. Was the adopted son wrong to have claimed ownership of his late father's properties without the official nod of the family members?

Do adopted children have right of inheritance in the family they find themselves?

What's your opinion on this matter.

Modified: I forgot to add that my uncle hasn't been buried because of this matter. His body is still in the mortuary cos there have to be an agreement from the family before burial takes place, and since the family is in chaos, the burial cannot hold for now.

5 Likes 4 Shares

Re: Adopted Son Or Biological Son: Who Gets One's Inheritance? by Nazgul: 6:17pm On Jun 06, 2022
The step son is really mad and deserves whatever is thrown at him from the family. If he isn't careful he would just die for nothing cos cases like this have high tendencies of becoming diabolical.

He had no right to lay claim on those properties even if he was the late man's biological son. There have to be a meeting to decide who gets what.

113 Likes 3 Shares

Re: Adopted Son Or Biological Son: Who Gets One's Inheritance? by Think4Yourself: 6:17pm On Jun 06, 2022
The moment that man gets a brain reset beating that he was adopted, the better for him.

I can't stay in my father's house and an adopted son will be claiming first right to my father's properties.....tah, it is not possible!!! That is a sacrilege that any igbo man won't agree on angry imagine the audacity angry

Modified.

For those saying his adoption was done legally blah blah blah.......do you think he stands a chance if the community pursue him? Legally or illegally he will collect wotowoto....and nobody, I repeat NOBODY will fight for him.......all he has and all he is, is because he was adopted and he should be grateful and not shit on the altar!!!

EOD angry

39 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Adopted Son Or Biological Son: Who Gets One's Inheritance? by Think4Yourself: 6:21pm On Jun 06, 2022
FalseProphet1:

Was the adopted son wrong to have claimed ownership of his late dather's properties without the official nod of the family members?

I so much hate this statement!!!! Are you guys weaklings?

He is an orphan and he should be grateful that he was adopted and trained and feed!!!! If he should get anything, it will be at the "grateful" heart of the biological children!!!!!

That man need to be taught a lesson and send packing!! He is an ungrateful ingrate grin

47 Likes 6 Shares

Re: Adopted Son Or Biological Son: Who Gets One's Inheritance? by Kobojunkie: 6:25pm On Jun 06, 2022
FalseProphet1:
Now this didn't go down well, cos he used the police to lock up one of the twins and the whole family members are threatening fire and brimstone if the young man isn't released. They took the matter to the community elders who of course supported them by saying the adopted man has no right of forceful claim to any property unless it's given to him willingly by the family members.

As of now they have destroyed his wife's business in one of the buildings, burnt his car and have vowed to even kill him if he doesn't release their son.

That's why I brought it here. Was the adopted son wrong to have claimed ownership of his late father's properties without the official nod of the family members?Do adopted children have right of inheritance in the family they find themselves?
What's your opinion on this matter..
My opinion is your dead uncle was wicked for not leaving behind a will to keep his chldren(adopted and non) from tearing at each other like wolves. undecided

179 Likes 13 Shares

Re: Adopted Son Or Biological Son: Who Gets One's Inheritance? by FalseProphet1(m): 6:28pm On Jun 06, 2022
Think4Yourself:

I so much hate this statement!!!! Are you guys weaklings?

He is an orphan and he should be grateful that he was adopted and trained and feed!!!! If he should get anything, it will be at the "grateful" heart of the biological children!!!!!

That man need to be taught a lesson and send packing!! He is an ungrateful ingrate grin
This is what everyone in the family is saying. The yeye man is there quoting law that under law he officially has the same rights as a biological child cos his adoption wasn't done illegally, and an adopted child has equal rights with a biological child.

As I'm talking to you, his wife was beaten by youths and her business destroyed, the man in question is sleeping in a hotel and they have burnt his car. Why do we Africans love violence? It wouldn't have costed him anything to come to the family and let them decide on how their fathers properties should be shared cos I'm very sure that no matter how they choose to share it, he would definitely get something.

Now because of the silly actions he has taken, he won't get anything and if care isn't taken he might loose his life in the process.

42 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Adopted Son Or Biological Son: Who Gets One's Inheritance? by FalseProphet1(m): 6:30pm On Jun 06, 2022
Kobojunkie:
My opinion is your dead uncle was wicked for not leaving behind a will to keep his chldren(adopted and non) from tearing at each other like wolves. undecided
Will doesn't work in African families with high traditional beliefs. They do things according to their traditions.

13 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Adopted Son Or Biological Son: Who Gets One's Inheritance? by Think4Yourself: 6:32pm On Jun 06, 2022
FalseProphet1:

This is what everyone in the family is saying. The eye man is there quoting law that under law he officially has the same rights as a biological child cos his adoption wasn't done illegally, and an adopted child has equal rights with a biological child.

As I'm talking to you, his wife was beaten by youths and her business destroyed, the man in question is sleeping in a hotel and they have burnt his car. Why do we Africans love violence? It wouldn't have costed him anything to come to the family and let them decide on how their fathers properties should be shared cos I'm very sure that no matter how they choose to share it, he would definitely get something.

Now because of the silly actions he has taken, he won't get anything and if care isn't taken he might loose his life in the process.
He is greedy and he deserves everything coming to him.

He don't think he would get anything even if he takes this matter to court, and I know the judge will instead send him to jail for wasting the time of the court!!...

He should be removed from the surface of the earth if he wants to prove stubborn.......he is a bastard and nobody will fight for him because he is not from your tribe.... I hate such people with passion angry

11 Likes 5 Shares

Re: Adopted Son Or Biological Son: Who Gets One's Inheritance? by cococandy(f): 6:33pm On Jun 06, 2022
He has a right to the properties as the man’s child. But he’s wrong for wanting everything all to himself. That’s just some immeasurable greed and I won’t feel sorry for him if he gets nothing in the end.

The community is wrong for thinking his adoption makes him unfit for inheritance. Once anyone adopts a child, they should be given same considerations as any biological children.

112 Likes 5 Shares

Re: Adopted Son Or Biological Son: Who Gets One's Inheritance? by GloriousGbola: 6:36pm On Jun 06, 2022
FalseProphet1:
There's this mild drama currently going on in the family. My uncle died late last year (at an old age). The problem here is that they some delay in child birth, (7 years after their wedding to be prescise) so during this long wait, he and the wife decided to adopt a male child.

7 years after his adoption, children started popping in. They had a set of twins (males) and then 2 boys and a girl making it 5 biological children.

This my uncle was a wealthy man, so he had properties in the town of their state of origin and in the village.

Upon his death last year, the eldest son (the one who was adopted) sealed off the property in their village and claimed ownership of the 3 rental buildings in the town. This angered my uncle's brothers who were of the opinion that he's not family and therefore has no right to do such when the man's biological kids are very much around.

So they (the uncles) had a meeting with the biological sons of their late brother to get rid of what they termed an outcast in their midst.

They later invited the adopted young man to the village and used the community youths to beat him up and threatened to kill him if he doesn't stay away from their family properties. That he should look for his own biological parents and inherit whatever they left for him.

That's why I brought it here. Was the adopted son wrong to have claimed ownership of his late father's properties without the official nod of the family members?

Do adopted children have right of inheritance in the family they find themselves?

What's your opinion on this matter.

Cc. Lalasticalala, Dominique Mynd44

Modified: I forgot to add that my uncle hasn't been buried because of this matter. His body is still in the mortuary cos there have to be an agreement from the family before burial takes place, and since the family is in chaos, the burial cannot hold for now.

Who gets my properties - the person I will them to. This is major league falling of hand from the late father if this is a true story. No way there would not be friction.

1 Like

Re: Adopted Son Or Biological Son: Who Gets One's Inheritance? by Kobojunkie: 6:39pm On Jun 06, 2022
FalseProphet1:
1. This is what everyone in the family is saying. The yeye man is there quoting law that under law he officially has the same rights as a biological child cos his adoption wasn't done illegally, and an adopted child has equal rights with a biological child.

2. As I'm talking to you, his wife was beaten by youths and her business destroyed, the man in question is sleeping in a hotel and they have burnt his car. Why do we Africans love violence? It wouldn't have costed him anything to come to the family and let them decide on how their fathers properties should be shared cos I'm very sure that no matter how they choose to share it, he would definitely get something.

1. But isn't he right that by law he has the same inheritance rights as biological children? undecided

2. It is unfortunate that this all could have been avoided if you uncle had simply opted for the common sense approach which was to have a Will stipulating who got what. undecided

8 Likes 1 Share

Re: Adopted Son Or Biological Son: Who Gets One's Inheritance? by yemmit90: 6:46pm On Jun 06, 2022
Humans are so greedy by nature.

The bastard deserves all the punishment being melted on him, even if you are the biological child of your father, you dont have any right to claim all the properties to yourself.

Why cant he allow the properties to be share and take his part.

14 Likes 1 Share

Re: Adopted Son Or Biological Son: Who Gets One's Inheritance? by Think4Yourself: 6:49pm On Jun 06, 2022
Kobojunkie:
1. But isn't he right that by law he has the same inheritance rights as biological children? undecided

2. It is unfortunate that this all could have been avoided if you uncle had simply opted for the common sense approach which was to have a Will stipulating who got what. undecided
Kobojunkie:
Your type should be avoided at all cost

You stinks of one without proper educational background, one that thinks from his ass, one without any sense whatsoever.

You irritates oxygen!! You are a disgrace to yourself

10 Likes 1 Share

Re: Adopted Son Or Biological Son: Who Gets One's Inheritance? by yemmit90: 6:52pm On Jun 06, 2022
cococandy:
He has a right to the properties as the man’s child. But he’s wrong for wanting everything all to himself. That’s just some immeasurable greed and I won’t feel sorry for him if he gets nothing in the end.

The community is wrong for thinking his adoption makes him unfit for inheritance. Once anyone adopts a child, they should be given same considerations as any biological children.

I think his behaviour/action angered the elders and his siblings. From the story, it was after he decided to take all that the elders reveal to other children that he was never a biological child.

Maybe they should've shared it equally withiout discrimination.

11 Likes 1 Share

Re: Adopted Son Or Biological Son: Who Gets One's Inheritance? by Think4Yourself: 6:53pm On Jun 06, 2022
cococandy:

He is not the man's biological child.

He is an orphan. Stop speaking from the side of your mouth....

Imagine some adopted ingrates dragging property with your children, what will b your reaction? Don't be a hypocrite, answer this question with your feminist mind angry

8 Likes 1 Share

Re: Adopted Son Or Biological Son: Who Gets One's Inheritance? by zubimete(f): 6:55pm On Jun 06, 2022
He would have written his will. Bt this sound like nollywood movie

4 Likes

Re: Adopted Son Or Biological Son: Who Gets One's Inheritance? by cococandy(f): 6:59pm On Jun 06, 2022
Think4Yourself:

He is not the man's biological child.

He is an orphan. Stop speaking from the side of your mouth....

Imagine some adopted ingrates dragging property with your children, what will b your reaction? Don't be a hypocrite, answer this question with your feminist mind angry

if I adopt a child, they will be my child . They are not “dragging property with my children” as they are also my children. Why adopt if you won’t consider the child truly yours? Any child I adopt will be given an equitable share of whatever I own.

This man’s problem is greed and even if he were to be the biological child, his greed will work against him.

62 Likes 4 Shares

Re: Adopted Son Or Biological Son: Who Gets One's Inheritance? by Think4Yourself: 7:01pm On Jun 06, 2022
cococandy:

if I adopt a child, they will be my child . They are not “dragging property with my children” as they are also my children. Why adopt if you won’t consider the child truly yours? Any child I adopt will be given an equitable share of whatever I own.

This man’s problem is greed and even if he were to be the biological child, his greed will work against him.

You will be jealous of another person taking more than your child, that is how human's mind works. You can't tell me that you will be comfortable with a bst claiming first right to your husband's properties.

He should have relaxed and take whatsoever the give to him and not claiming first child, he is an adopted child and not a blood relative!! Let that sink in

6 Likes 1 Share

Re: Adopted Son Or Biological Son: Who Gets One's Inheritance? by cococandy(f): 7:03pm On Jun 06, 2022
Think4Yourself:

You will be jealous of another person taking more than your child, that is how humans mind works. You can't tell me that you will comfortable with a bst claiming first right to your husband's properties.

If I adopt a child, they are my child. Simple and short. End of story.

Husband’s property because wives don’t have property too? grin

20 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Adopted Son Or Biological Son: Who Gets One's Inheritance? by cococandy(f): 7:05pm On Jun 06, 2022
Think4Yourself:

He should have relaxed

Yes he shouldn’t have been greedy about it. We agree on that.

6 Likes

Re: Adopted Son Or Biological Son: Who Gets One's Inheritance? by Think4Yourself: 7:06pm On Jun 06, 2022
cococandy:

If I adopt a child, they are my child. Simple and short. End of story.

Husband’s property because wives don’t have property too? grin

Lies

3 Likes 1 Share

Re: Adopted Son Or Biological Son: Who Gets One's Inheritance? by Kobojunkie: 7:08pm On Jun 06, 2022
Think4Yourself:

Your type should be avoided at all cost
You stinks of one without proper educational background, one that thinks from his ass, one without any sense whatsoever.
You irritates oxygen!! You are a disgrace to yourself
Yeah, yeah! Cry me a river !!! undecided

8 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Adopted Son Or Biological Son: Who Gets One's Inheritance? by Think4Yourself: 7:10pm On Jun 06, 2022
Kobojunkie:
Yeah, yeah! Cry me a river !!! undecided
clown

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Adopted Son Or Biological Son: Who Gets One's Inheritance? by Kobojunkie: 7:11pm On Jun 06, 2022
Think4Yourself:
clown
Look whose talking! undecided

9 Likes 1 Share

Re: Adopted Son Or Biological Son: Who Gets One's Inheritance? by Think4Yourself: 7:11pm On Jun 06, 2022
Kobojunkie:
Look whose talking! undecided
Get the fûck outta my mention you pyscho undecided

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Adopted Son Or Biological Son: Who Gets One's Inheritance? by Kobojunkie: 7:13pm On Jun 06, 2022
Think4Yourself:

Get the fûck outta my mention you pyscho undecided
look whose talking! undecided

6 Likes

Re: Adopted Son Or Biological Son: Who Gets One's Inheritance? by Nobody: 7:13pm On Jun 06, 2022

46 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Adopted Son Or Biological Son: Who Gets One's Inheritance? by Kobojunkie: 7:14pm On Jun 06, 2022
UpInTheSky:
The adopted son IS the first son.

Your Uncle's brothers and biological son's opinions that he's not family and is an outcast is quite pathetic. Shame on them.
Nigerians should understand that when you adopt a child, he or she becomes your child. Neither biology nor blood defines family.
That said, the adopted son himself is a greedy fool for "sealing off their and claiming ownership of the 3 rental buildings in the town".
His own actions speak volume about his own character and even if he weren't an adopted child he would've behaved in the same manner.
Hence, all of them are madd.
Now we are talking! undecided

8 Likes

Re: Adopted Son Or Biological Son: Who Gets One's Inheritance? by Ajibade123(m): 7:45pm On Jun 06, 2022
maybe the uncle never showed equal love among his biological and adopted children because this is not suppose to be an issue
since he was adopted from small and bears the uncle's surname he is the legitimate first born
the biological and adopted children should find a way to settle their differences and not add those external extended families

1 Like

Re: Adopted Son Or Biological Son: Who Gets One's Inheritance? by kennethfranc(m): 7:45pm On Jun 06, 2022
G
Re: Adopted Son Or Biological Son: Who Gets One's Inheritance? by ugosilva: 7:45pm On Jun 06, 2022
Biological son but anyone can get it Sha

But logically,the biological son go get the lion share

1 Like 1 Share

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (Reply)

As A Family Man, Am I A Miser, Greedy Or Trying To Be Financially Smart? / Help! My Husband Wants Me To Change My Name From Ndidi To Sinmisola. / Can She Assumed A Wife Responsibility When Engaged?

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 68
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.