Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,521 members, 7,819,879 topics. Date: Tuesday, 07 May 2024 at 04:44 AM

Explaining Islamic banking & Finance - Business (3) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Business / Explaining Islamic banking & Finance (6798 Views)

Ngozi: Islamic Banking Is Ok / Stanbic IBTC Gets Licence For Islamic Banking Operations In Nigeria / Putting Sanusi's Islamic Banking In Perspective (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Explaining Islamic banking & Finance by Nobody: 12:46am On Jul 07, 2011
It is always useful to read before responding
I suppose that 21st century mind requires that you use decent language

21 st century also requires me to insult those who can't learn and want to be fanatical because that's the only thing they will understand!
Re: Explaining Islamic banking & Finance by BetaThings: 12:52am On Jul 07, 2011
all4naija:

21 st century also requires me to insult those who can't learn and want to be fanatical because that's the only thing they will understand!
Actually insults is the refuge of people who cannot marshall their points
A rigorous mind can demonstrate, without rancour, the illogicality of position taken by others
I never saw Ajumogobia insult anyone but he got his job done to plaudits

BTW has it occurred to you that given the number of people claiming to be smart, knowledgeable etc, Nigerians should hold the largest number of patents
Re: Explaining Islamic banking & Finance by Nobody: 1:04am On Jul 07, 2011
Should I insult you so that you will understand me clear?

Come on! Don't try to be civilized when you are not. You have preached your poo here and wanna forced it on people! People can die for their rights not to be trample upon in 21 st century my dear. You can see 21 st century can even be more brutal than the old centuries past.

Try to tell that to those in the developed countries and see to their reactions! Men, steer clear from me, if you wanted to preach Islam or Christianity to me!
Re: Explaining Islamic banking & Finance by BetaThings: 1:23am On Jul 07, 2011
^^^
Do as you please - invectives and all
A lot of people in developed countries listen and decide
They do that without being uncivil
Re: Explaining Islamic banking & Finance by Nobody: 1:27am On Jul 07, 2011
@poster above!

For that simple reason I won't listen to you. I am among the aggressive!Yes am among those who are not decisive because I have had enough of listening! It is my time to act!
Re: Explaining Islamic banking & Finance by Nobody: 1:35am On Jul 07, 2011
all4naija:

@poster above!

For that simple reason I won't listen to you. I am among the aggressive!Yes am among those who are not decisive because I have had enough of listening! It is my time to act!
BY SHOUTING ON NLAND ONLY? shocked grin
Re: Explaining Islamic banking & Finance by Nobody: 1:39am On Jul 07, 2011
Lol@ Shouting at Nairaland!

Ain't shouting men!

I wanna punk those practicing extremism ( the religion fanaticism) man! for giving Nigeria more headache beside the poverty and other corruption issues.
Re: Explaining Islamic banking & Finance by azoo: 5:17am On Jul 07, 2011
all4naija:

There are Christian schools and there are Muslim schools and regular schools. If I send my child to a school that was openly founded on the tenets of a certain religion, then the rules must be obeyed. Nobody forced you to enrol your child there.

Do u have an idea of what BetaThings is saying at all, if you dont understand ask. How about during the missionary days when many muslims were converted to xtianity forcefully all in the name of schooling else go back home I bet you know, u jst ignored it.
Also nobody has forced you to bank with the Islamic bank, Its not that CBN is funding the bank, they just gave permission to whomever has the capital base to come forward like Jai Bank is planning to start soon,
Re: Explaining Islamic banking & Finance by chamber2(m): 7:54am On Jul 07, 2011
On Thursday February 3, 2011 as reported in the Vanguard of Friday 4, 2011, Sanusi climbed to the rooftop to proclaim what can be likened to ‘ O ye faithful Moslems of Nigeria, I Sanusi Lamido Sanusi shall grant unto you Islamic bank in Nigeria soon’ Are you kidding me? Islamic banking as always been permitted under the enabling laws for banking in Nigeria, this is known to the practitioners in the industry and one already got an approval in principle 7 years before…what exactly is Sanusi commencing? Just like the political Shariah, there you have your political Islamic banking introduced and championed for personal aggrandizement of a man with savior mentality. A sitting CBN Governor for that matter.

It is pertinent to mention here that attempts are being made by some to reduce this to Christians protesting an introduction of Islamic banks in Nigeria and that whereas they are available in many countries like Bangladesh, Malaysia, South Africa, Egypt, Pakistan etc and even well known Christians dominated countries like United States and Britain. Nothing could be far from the truth. The question we should ask is why was there no protest when Jaiz International PLC was licensed in 2004? The then CBN Governor was professional about it, simply approved them under the existing laws and did not constitute himself as the champion for Islamic banking. But 7 years after the first would-be Islamic bank has been approved, Mallam Sanusi  introduced the guidelines for non-interest banking which read in parts that:

The Central Bank in every country is a conservative establishment. The Governors or by whatever name the man in charge is known they are never heard on political or religious issues. Mallam Lamido Sanusi should quit his grandstanding, quit his playing to the gallery, quit his nose-poking into the messy political terrain and must also operate within the laws of the country. Nigeria’s economy needs healing not noise making.
=================================================================================

This has been my thought and comments on this Islamic banking of a thing.The writer of this article captured the feelings of everyone.God bless the writer for saying the truth.
Re: Explaining Islamic banking & Finance by medocity(m): 11:18am On Jul 07, 2011
I will continue to ask every Nairalander that, Is Nigeria A One Religion Nation, please whoever of not interested in ISLAMIC BANKING should go to hell cos i see no reason why Christians are getting mad over this issue, Islamic Banking is the Best system of banking and practiced in more than 70 countries of the world today, Islamic Banking is practiced in the following countries including NIGERIA

List of countries where Islamic Banks are functioning

Albania, Algeria, Australia, Bahamas, Bahrain, Bangladesh, British Virgin Islands, Brunei, Canada, Cayman Islands, North Cyprus, Djibouti, Egypt, France, Gambia, Germany, Guinea, India, Indonesia, Iran, Iraq, Italy, Ivory Coast, Jordan, Kazakhstan, Kuwait, Lebanon, Luxembourg, Malaysia, Mauritania, Morocco, The Netherlands, Niger, Nigeria, Oman, Pakistan, Palestine, Philippines, Qatar, Russia, Saudi Arabia, Senegal, South Africa, Sri Lanka, Sudan, Switzerland, Tunisia, Turkey, Trinidad & Tobago, United Arab Emirates (Abu Dhabi, Dubai, Sharja), United Kingdom, United States, Yemen.

Believe it or not, Naa you sabi, Is united state an ISLAMIC COUNTRY, Switzerland, France, The Netherlands, Australia, Canada to mention few, PLEASE PEOPLE DO RESEARCH BEFORE POSTING JARGON  ,  I SUPPORT ,  CARRY ON
Re: Explaining Islamic banking & Finance by brainpulse: 11:37am On Jul 07, 2011
@ BETA

I ALWAYS ASK MYSELF ONE QUESTION, WHY IS EVERY THING THAT HAS TO DO WITH ISLAM FORCEFUL, WHY?
SIMPLE EXPLAINING THE BENEFIT OF SOMETHING AND LIVE PEOPLE TO DECIDE, SHOULD IT WARRANT ABUSING AND CONDEMNING THERE IDEALS.
NOBODY WAS EVER FORCED ANYBODY IN HISTORY TO RECEIVE CHRISTIANITY, IF YOU ARE ACTUALLY READING FROM THE FRONT OF YOUR HISTORY BOOK TO THE BACK AND NOT FROM THE BACK TO THE FRONT.
IF YOU PREACH PEACE AND UNITY AND CONSIDERS THE BENEFIT OF EVERYONE YOU DON'T HAVE TO FORCE IT ON THEM.
WE CAN USE ANY SYSTEM AND IT WORKS IF THERE IS NOT CORRUPTION.

WHAT ARE THE SIGNIFICANT DEVELOPMENT IN STATES THAT PRACTICE SHARIA LAWS AND TENANTS.
ZAMFARA--CORRUPTION
MADUGURI-- TERRORIST
KANO--TERRORIST

IRAN--SELLING OF FIRE ARMS TO REBELS AND TERRORIST
AFGAN-TERRORISM
ETC
Re: Explaining Islamic banking & Finance by maclatunji: 11:40am On Jul 07, 2011
Why should it be called Islamic Banking? Eh Duh! It is based on Islamic Principles. This question is just like asking: Why is bread called "Agege Bread" in Nigeria or Sachet water is called "Pure water." Sorry Christian kids- You have been brought up to think you are over and above Muslims in "Every Respect" so you are literally pained upon discovering "ISLAMIC BANKING". Worse stiil, your leaders are toying with your emotions grin grin grin.

It is not only Islamic banking that you have to deal with, you will soon have to contend with VERY, VERY RICH MUSLIMS whom you will have to RESPECT or face bankruptcy after your "VERY CHRISTIAN" Leaders have taken all of your money to build the biggest churches in the world!

Seriously though, even if you have been MISINFORMED about Islam throughout your life. Isn't it time for you to free yourself from the BONDAGE OF IGNORANCE AND BIGOTRY?
Re: Explaining Islamic banking & Finance by Tapiya(m): 11:42am On Jul 07, 2011
Re: Explaining Islamic banking & Finance
« #36 on: Yesterday at 03:58:28 PM »  

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

@TAPIYA

The evils done by compounded interest on our economy especially from the irresoluteness of our foreign borrowings over the years, and we kept lavishing our oil earns on is why i shield tears, if it was obantala that will give us the best tune as to banking let it be called-there's no need rebranding the moon as to calling it big lantern, a moon is a moon, and i'm sure that exactly is your only problem with the awesome Islamic Banking,

I'm a professional and i'm terribly conversant with what financing is all about,

Consider-a situation where one would borrow money and never be able to repay  till death comes, imagine

Like you most have seen in the article I posted, We Nigerians do not have a problem with Non interest Banking, the issue is  the laws that govern it, there are secular laws that govern non interest banking, it most not be under the Islamic Law and that is precisely why we Nigerian Christians are against it, the FG or the Central bank can give anyone a license and the person can decide who they want to give the loan to either a muslim based bank or just anyone
Re: Explaining Islamic banking & Finance by brainpulse: 11:49am On Jul 07, 2011
@AZOO

THE EDUCATION THAT YOU ARE BENEFITING TODAY IS AS A RESULT OF WESTERN Education. And history says it wasn't force on anybody, that was the reason why your brothers in the north are suffering it today. someone that has his family enjoying abroad will tell your brothers to tie a 5kg explosive and bomb himselves in the name of practicing sharia.

why why and why?

How many schools as sanusi built in the north, how many hospital has he funded, how many children in the north has he trained, how many widows had benefited from him.

There is no smoke without a fire and no unwritten script without a bad motive.

Note:All books in history never said that Nigerians were force to receive western education and christianity.
Start reading your book from the front to the back pls
Re: Explaining Islamic banking & Finance by maclatunji: 11:55am On Jul 07, 2011
brainpulse:

@AZOO

THE EDUCATION THAT YOU ARE BENEFITING TODAY IS AS A RESULT OF WESTERN Education. And history says it wasn't force on anybody, that was the reason why your brothers in the north are suffering it today. someone that has his family enjoying abroad will tell your brothers to tie a 5kg explosive and bomb himselves in the name of practicing sharia.

why why and why?

How many schools as sanusi built in the north, how many hospital has he funded, how many children in the north has he trained, how many widows had benefited from him.

There is no smoke without a fire and no unwritten script without a bad motive.

Note:All books in history never said that Nigerians were force to receive western education and christianity.
Start reading your book from the front to the back pls

Why don't you guys just admit that the problem you have is not with Islamic banking but that you are afraid that someday, a Muslim army will sweep through Nigeria and once and for all declare the country as an Islamic State.

Once you have told the truth and stopped lying, we can start to help you address those fears. However, these arguments you have against Islamic Banking are just ridiculous and outright dumb!

Remember the Truth shall set you FREE!
Re: Explaining Islamic banking & Finance by makky(f): 12:06pm On Jul 07, 2011
No to Islamic Banking, No anything Islam, I respect Islam as a religion, but its followers are hypocrites and violent minded people. Like its said religion has already caused enough problems in Nigeria, lets not shed more blood by bringing in something else that has to do with it. Either the name be changed or the system should not even be introduced at all,
Re: Explaining Islamic banking & Finance by chamber2(m): 12:54pm On Jul 07, 2011
Why don't you guys just admit that the problem you have is not with Islamic banking but that you are afraid that someday, a Muslim army will sweep through Nigeria and once and for all declare the country as an Islamic State.

Once you have told the truth and stopped lying, we can start to help you address those fears. However, these arguments you have against Islamic Banking are just ridiculous and outright dumb!

Remember the Truth shall set you FREE!

Methinks the reverse is the case here.The muslims all over the world have been living in constant fear that one day the Christians would take over the entire world.This has made them apprehensive and violent.This is manifested in constant killings, bombing and impositions by the muslims.In their usual way, the christians have remained calm, progressive and prosperous at the dismay of the muslims.America,Britain and most parts of europe was built on christian principles of love, freedom and peace.Today, these countries remain reference points to their backward, aggressive and violent islamic counterparts of Asia.

Back home, the Igbos who are predominantly christians are constantly progressing than their northern muslims despite fighting a civil war a few years ago.Don't it amaze the north at the rate at which the Igbos are succeeding in all aspects of life?This is because they believe in freedom, love and collective prosperity.Most countries that fought the 2nd world war are yet to recover, but the Igbos came out of the civil war stronger, better and brighter.Is it not amazing?On the other hand, the north, which is predominantly muslims remain the most backward segment of the Nigeria entity, despite benefiting enormously from the ''one Nigeria'' conception.

The north, and most muslims believe in hero worship and considers whatever their ''leaders'' say as supreme.This is the major reason for their underdevelopment and backwardness.On the contrary, the igbos built their hope in God, not in individuals.We don't worship emirs, obas etc.

Sanusi is leading the campaign for an Islamic banking system because he considers himself a northern leader whose words and opinion should be revered.He forgot suddenly that we live in a constantly changing world where hero worship is considered archaic and often viewed with great disdain.He forget suddenly the ''one Nigeria'' contraption which the north promulgated.He forget so soon how the north fought with their last blood to maintain ''one Nigeria''. He forgot the fragility of religious issues in Nigeria and the threat it imposes on the ''one Nigeria'' contraption of the north.

Who is afraid of islamic banking?None to my understanding.We only pity the northern muslims because this is another avenue to loot them dry by their so called leaders.They will be encouraged through their imam to pull their money in islamic banks to achieve jihadist movements in the name of Allah.At the end they will continue to wallow in poverty, misery and subjugation while their their christian brothers continue to prosper.Of course, the Islamic banking/banks will never thrive in the south-eastern part of Nigeria.So, the igbos stand to loose nothing.

Igbo leaders and those in priviledged positions are engaging in numerous philanthropic ventures aimed at alleviating the poverty of their people.What has sanusi and other priviledged nothern oligarchies done for their people?Where was Amino kano, Tafa Balewa when Awolowo declared free education to the people of the south?Currently, there is free and compulsory education in most states of the south, what are northern leaders doing knowing too well that their people are educationally disadvantaged.

So, the northern muslim leaders think islamic banking is the solution to the backwardness of their people?Lets watch and see.I only pray that the Nigerian case does not resemble that of Iran, Pakistan Behran, Afghanistan etc.
Re: Explaining Islamic banking & Finance by BetaThings: 1:25pm On Jul 07, 2011
brainpulse:

@ BETA

I ALWAYS ASK MYSELF ONE QUESTION, WHY IS EVERY THING THAT HAS TO DO WITH ISLAM FORCEFUL, WHY?
SIMPLE EXPLAINING THE BENEFIT OF SOMETHING AND LIVE PEOPLE TO DECIDE, SHOULD IT WARRANT ABUSING AND CONDEMNING THERE IDEALS.
NOBODY WAS EVER FORCED ANYBODY IN HISTORY TO RECEIVE CHRISTIANITY, IF YOU ARE ACTUALLY READING FROM THE FRONT OF YOUR HISTORY BOOK TO THE BACK AND NOT FROM THE BACK TO THE FRONT.

all4naija:

@Poster above me! Is Christian so new to the North now? Why are they now bombing the whole place if Christian are telling them to attend School to be converted? It means Islam is afraid of Christianity. Jeez! What you are insinuating is senseless!So that was the reason they introduced terrorism into the country.Please, if that was a reason enough to have s suicide mission in the country it really proves your mentality right. backward mentality! It is a shame people can't use their heads to understand that religion is just ancient tradition. Keep dwelling in the crap. But, for me, I am in the 21st century with a modern man mind!Fuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuucccccccccccck you all Christians and Muslims alike!

BetaThings:

It is always useful to read before responding
I suppose that 21st century mind requires that you use decent language

The quotes in red are from others, the one in blue is from me. Who is being abusive. This is a matter of fact

brainpulse:

@ BETA

IF YOU PREACH PEACE AND UNITY AND CONSIDERS THE BENEFIT OF EVERYONE YOU DON'T HAVE TO FORCE IT ON THEM.
WE CAN USE ANY SYSTEM AND IT WORKS IF THERE IS NOT CORRUPTION.

WHAT ARE THE SIGNIFICANT DEVELOPMENT IN STATES THAT PRACTICE SHARIA LAWS AND TENANTS.
ZAMFARA--CORRUPTION
MADUGURI-- TERRORIST
KANO--TERRORIST

IRAN--SELLING OF FIRE ARMS TO REBELS AND TERRORIST
AFGAN-TERRORISM
ETC

In history, christianity has been forced on people - In Europe (for instance under Queen Isabella in Spain) and in Nigeria
How were a lot of muslims converted in the 60s and 70s
Just ask people
This is an open forum, otherwise I would have mentioned some people who were so converted
The option was - convert or go back home

Iran - interesting? Did you know that the PM of the country was toppled in a CIA-sponsored coup in1952?
Is that not terrorism? The CIA went ahead to support the dictator (Shah) till 1979 when he was overthrown in a revolution
That revolution led to the breakdown in relations between US and Iran till today

Do you remember Oliver North? Do you remember the funding of the contra rebels by the US?
Afghanistan - It was the US that trained, funded and equipped Osama bin Laden
He became a terrorist when he started fighting American
Please have regard to facts before you criticise
Re: Explaining Islamic banking & Finance by maclatunji: 1:40pm On Jul 07, 2011
chamber2:

Methinks the reverse is the case here.The muslims all over the world have been living in constant fear that one day the Christians would take over the entire world.This has made them apprehensive and violent.This is manifested in constant killings, bombing and impositions by the muslims.In their usual way, the christians have remained calm, progressive and prosperous at the dismay of the muslims.America,Britain and most parts of europe was built on christian principles of love, freedom and peace.Today, these countries remain reference points to their backward, aggressive and violent islamic counterparts of Asia.

Back home, the Igbos who are predominantly christians are constantly progressing than their northern muslims despite fighting a civil war a few years ago.Don't it amaze the north at the rate at which the Igbos are succeeding in all aspects of life?This is because they believe in freedom, love and collective prosperity.Most countries that fought the 2nd world war are yet to recover, but the Igbos came out of the civil war stronger, better and brighter.Is it not amazing?On the other hand, the north, which is predominantly muslims remain the most backward segment of the Nigeria entity, despite benefiting enormously from the ''one Nigeria'' conception.

The north, and most muslims believe in hero worship and considers whatever their ''leaders'' say as supreme.This is the major reason for their underdevelopment and backwardness.On the contrary, the igbos built their hope in God, not in individuals.We don't worship emirs, obas etc.

Sanusi is leading the campaign for an Islamic banking system because he considers himself a northern leader whose words and opinion should be revered.He forgot suddenly that we live in a constantly changing world where hero worship is considered archaic and often viewed with great disdain.He forget suddenly the ''one Nigeria'' contraption which the north promulgated.He forget so soon how the north fought with their last blood to maintain ''one Nigeria''. He forgot the fragility of religious issues in Nigeria and the threat it imposes on the ''one Nigeria'' contraption of the north.

Who is afraid of islamic banking?None to my understanding.We only pity the northern muslims because this is another avenue to loot them dry by their so called leaders.They will be encouraged through their imam to pull their money in islamic banks to achieve jihadist movements in the name of Allah.At the end they will continue to wallow in poverty, misery and subjugation while their their christian brothers continue to prosper.Of course, the Islamic banking/banks will never thrive in the south-eastern part of Nigeria.So, the igbos stand to loose nothing.

Igbo leaders and those in priviledged positions are engaging in numerous philanthropic ventures aimed at alleviating the poverty of their people.What has sanusi and other priviledged nothern oligarchies done for their people?Where was Amino kano, Tafa Balewa when Awolowo declared free education to the people of the south?Currently, there is free and compulsory education in most states of the south, what are northern leaders doing knowing too well that their people are educationally disadvantaged.

So, the northern muslim leaders think islamic banking is the solution to the backwardness of their people?Lets watch and see.I only pray that the Nigerian case does not resemble that of Iran, Pakistan Behran, Afghanistan etc.

\

Really! So Almajiris now care about global politics. I thought your argument was that we should not broaden this argument beyond Nigeria. You know; you folks were saying you don't care if the Vatican says Islamic banking is good, or if it is practised in UK or America. You only care about Nigeria,  bla, bla, bla.

Now you have shifted the goal post to suit yourself- Typical.

By the way even American Superstars are now singing: "We're spending Arab Money" what they really mean is "We're spending muslim money." You might want to edit your thoughts on Christian progression and prosperity. Even in football oil Sheikh's are buying top European Clubs. Even our own Dangote wanted to buy a major stake in Arsenal.
Re: Explaining Islamic banking & Finance by BetaThings: 1:50pm On Jul 07, 2011
chamber2:

To start with, Samuel Huntinton (The Clash of Civilisations) does not agree with you
Christian principles of love, freedom and peace?
The Jews (the Holocaust) do not agree
The Americans who this week celebrated their war of independence from Britain do not agree
People especially Nigerian and other blacks who were forced by Europeans into slavery , working in plantations with padlock on their mouths, violated at will and with no rights at all do not agree
The Bakassi issue remains a product of Europeans disdain for love and freedom
The Berlin Conference of 1885 where Africa was carved up was a product of love and freedom?
The Boer War; The 1st and 2nd World Wars
Please don't go there

Finally, Malcom Gladwell, a Canadian author of such best sellers as Outliers, Blink and Tippin Point, is the great grandchild of an Ibo woman taken into slavery

I don't want to go into sectional issue in Nigeria
Re: Explaining Islamic banking & Finance by tollu: 2:05pm On Jul 07, 2011
maclatunji:

Why should it be called Islamic Banking? Eh Duh! It is based on Islamic Principles. This question is just like asking: Why is bread called "Agege Bread" in Nigeria or Sachet water is called "Pure water." Sorry Christian kids- You have been brought up to think you are over and above Muslims in "Every Respect" so you are literally pained upon discovering "ISLAMIC BANKING". Worse stiil, your leaders are toying with your emotions grin grin grin.

It is not only Islamic banking that you have to deal with, you will soon have to contend with VERY, VERY RICH MUSLIMS whom you will have to RESPECT or face bankruptcy after your "VERY CHRISTIAN" Leaders have taken all of your money to build the biggest churches in the world!

Seriously though, even if you have been MISINFORMED about Islam throughout your life. Isn't it time for you to free yourself from the BONDAGE OF IGNORANCE AND BIGOTRY?

It has been said that Non interest banking has been existent in Nigeria for years so why is the CBN governor starting a movement for "Islamic banking"? Especially now that the Boko Haram guys have gone on rampage.
What it has achieved so far is an "us against them" stance which has been exhibited severally even on this thread.

Nobody is misinformed about Islam, yes they say it is a religion of peace but the things they do show otherwise
Re: Explaining Islamic banking & Finance by chamber2(m): 2:08pm On Jul 07, 2011
Really! So Almajiris now care about global politics. I thought your argument was that we should not broaden this argument beyond Nigeria. You know; you folks were saying you don't care if the Vatican says Islamic banking is good, or if it is practised in UK or America. You only care about Nigeria,  bla, bla, bla.

Now you have shifted the goal post to suit yourself- Typical.

By the way even American Superstars are now singing: "We're spending Arab Money" what they really mean is "We're spending muslim money." You might want to edit your thoughts on Christian progression and prosperity. Even in football oil Sheikh's are buying top European Clubs. Even our own Dangote wanted to buy a major stake in Arsenal.

The recent growth among a few Asian countries is not as a result of the ingenuity of their people neither is it a product of strict observance to Islamic principles.Rather, it is the manifestation of the tides of globalisation  with its attendant financial flows and investments from North America and parts of Europe.
Re: Explaining Islamic banking & Finance by BetaThings: 2:08pm On Jul 07, 2011
tollu:

Nobody is misinformed about Islam, yes they say it is a religion of peace but the things they do show otherwise
What do muslims do? Do you concede that there must be at least 30m muslims in Nigeria
Can you go to work peacefully, take tea in your office, sleep well, chat here if these people are carrying out acts of violence?
Re: Explaining Islamic banking & Finance by tollu: 2:33pm On Jul 07, 2011
^^^
I'm sure you know what I mean.
Re: Explaining Islamic banking & Finance by GameEvent(m): 3:00pm On Jul 07, 2011
I think ignorance and prejudice is the cause of the objection of (Islamic) Non-Interest Banking framework. What CBN is doing is just creating a framework where ethical banks can operate in Nigeria. Even the Bible forbids interest taking and giving so where have the opposers who are mostly non muslim put their faith or get their inspiration from. We all know how nigeria have drowned in dept cos of escalating interest. Let's think people.
#
Leviticus 25:37 Thou shalt not give him thy money upon usury, nor lend him thy victuals for increase.

# Those enriched by unlawful, not allowed to enjoy their gain.
Psalms 28:8 The LORD is their strength, and he is the saving strength of his anointed.

# The curse attending the giving or receiving of unlawful, alluded to.
Jeremiah 15:10 Woe is me, my mother, that thou hast borne me a man of strife and a man of contention to the whole earth! I have neither lent on usury, nor men have lent to me on usury; yet every one of them doth curse me.

# THE JEWS

* Forbidden to take, from brethren.
Deuteronomy 23:19 Thou shalt not lend upon usury to thy brother; usury of money, usury of victuals, usury of any thing that is lent upon usury:

* Forbidden to take, from brethren specially when poor.
Exodus 22:25 If thou lend money to any of my people that is poor by thee, thou shalt not be to him as an usurer, neither shalt thou lay upon him usury.
Leviticus 25:35-37 And if thy brother be waxen poor, and fallen in decay with thee; then thou shalt relieve him: yea, though he be a stranger, or a sojourner; that he may live with thee. Take thou no usury of him, or increase: but fear thy God; that thy brother may live with thee. Thou shalt not give him thy money upon usury, nor lend him thy victuals for increase.

* Often guilty of taking.
Nehemiah 5:6-7 And I was very angry when I heard their cry and these words. Then I consulted with myself, and I rebuked the nobles, and the rulers, and said unto them, Ye exact usury, every one of his brother. And I set a great assembly against them.

I knw some of you that are opposing this have once or more approached banks for loan and cant get it cos of the crazy interest attached, so why are we rejecting an initiative cos its called "Islamic". Your thoughts and reaction stems from the bad image the media has put on islam. Ok if it is called 'Non-interest' will that be better? Yes? Search your hearts. If you are a christain and opposing what is good then you dont want good at all for humanity. If this can work in the USA and europe it can work here.

Besides the CBN is not compelling anyone to use it. If it pays you go to conventional banks where you will be get laons that you will keep paying all your life. Don't lets be prejudicial and biased rather than read more abt this.
Re: Explaining Islamic banking & Finance by GameEvent(m): 3:16pm On Jul 07, 2011
I think ignorance and prejudice is the cause of the objection of (Islamic) Non-Interest Banking framework. What CBN is doing is just creating a framework where ethical banks can operate in Nigeria. Even the Bible forbids interest taking and giving so where have the opposers who are mostly non muslim put their faith or get their inspiration from. We all know how nigeria have drowned in dept cos of escalating interest. Let's think people.
#
Leviticus 25:37 Thou shalt not give him thy money upon usury, nor lend him thy victuals for increase.

Psalms 28:8 The LORD is their strength, and he is the saving strength of his anointed.

Jeremiah 15:10 Woe is me, my mother, that thou hast borne me a man of strife and a man of contention to the whole earth! I have neither lent on usury, nor men have lent to me on usury; yet every one of them doth curse me.

# THE JEWS

Deuteronomy 23:19 Thou shalt not lend upon usury to thy brother; usury of money, usury of victuals, usury of any thing that is lent upon usury:

Exodus 22:25 If thou lend money to any of my people that is poor by thee, thou shalt not be to him as an usurer, neither shalt thou lay upon him usury.
     Leviticus 25:35-37 And if thy brother be waxen poor, and fallen in decay with thee; then thou shalt relieve him: yea, though he be a stranger, or a sojourner; that he may live with thee. Take thou no usury of him, or increase: but fear thy God; that thy brother may live with thee. Thou shalt not give him thy money upon usury, nor lend him thy victuals for increase.

Nehemiah 5:6-7 And I was very angry when I heard their cry and these words. Then I consulted with myself, and I rebuked the nobles, and the rulers, and said unto them, Ye exact usury, every one of his brother. And I set a great assembly against them.

I knw some of you that are opposing this have once or more approached banks for loan and cant get it cos of the crazy interest attached, so why are we rejecting an initiative cos its called "Islamic".  Your thoughts and reaction stems from the bad image the media has put on islam. Ok if it is called 'Non-interest' will that be better?  Yes? Search your hearts. If you are a christain and opposing what is good then you dont want good at all for humanity. If this can work in the USA and europe it can work here.

Besides the CBN is not compelling anyone to use it. If it pays you go to conventional banks where you will be get laons that you will keep paying all your life. Don't lets be prejudicial and biased rather than read more abt this.
Re: Explaining Islamic banking & Finance by maclatunji: 3:43pm On Jul 07, 2011
tollu:

It has been said that Non interest banking has been existent in Nigeria for years so why is the CBN governor starting a movement for "Islamic banking"? Especially now that the Boko Haram guys have gone on rampage.
What it has achieved so far is an "us against them" stance which has been exhibited severally even on this thread.

How and when did he start the movement? If people make applications for Islamic banking, the least he can do is to make guidelines to regulate it. StanbicIBTC just got a license for Islamic banking are you suggesting that they made the application for the License last week? Even if I were to agree with you that he is starting a movement how does that prevent you from using the existing banks to satisfy your banking needs? You see, either way your argument is flawed with bigotry and intolerance. Somebody started a movement for Micro-finance banks and people lost money, why are you not screaming about that? Sanusi is just regulating Islamic Banking and he has government support as well as key economic figures as well global trends in his favour. So go and rest your head "little lady".

He will not deny being a Muslim or the fact that Islam is the pivot for non-interest banking just to please you and your likes, the truth is the truth.
Re: Explaining Islamic banking & Finance by hasyak(m): 3:54pm On Jul 07, 2011
Game@Event:

#

# THE JEWS

I knw some of you that are opposing this have once or more approached banks for loan and cant get it cos of the crazy interest attached, so why are we rejecting an initiative cos its called "Islamic".  Your thoughts and reaction stems from the bad image the media has put on islam. Ok if it is called 'Non-interest' will that be better?  Yes? Search your hearts. If you are a christain and opposing what is good then you dont want good at all for humanity. If this can work in the USA and europe it can work here.

+7
Re: Explaining Islamic banking & Finance by tollu: 4:45pm On Jul 07, 2011
maclatunji:

So go and rest your head "little lady".

That part right there totally negates any shred of sense you might have been making. Have a nice life BIG gentleman
Re: Explaining Islamic banking & Finance by 1luvkipsus: 5:27pm On Jul 07, 2011
We know those who are against islamic banking;those who enslave fellow human beings in the name of christianity,those who take from poor &use d proceeds to build univesities beyound d reach of d poor,those who encourage bank executives to lend only to d rich leavin d poor poorer,those who collect stolen monies from bankers in d name of tithe and offerin and stil pray 4 dem,thos who, i mean greedy,wicked,&shortsighted christians.the self-acclaimed pastors,bishops,cardinals etc always causing problems 4 people.y,wicked,&shortsighted christians.the self-acclaimed pastors,bishops,cardinals etc always causing problems 4 people.
Re: Explaining Islamic banking & Finance by Nobody: 7:25pm On Jul 07, 2011
@poster above me!

I am against Islamic Banking system in Nigeria! I am not a Christian!Not a Muslim and not animist!

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply)

Baby Comestics And Accessories Lets Share Our Business Experience. / I Need Help,i Want To Fund My Forex Account / What Is The Cost Of A Carat Of Diamond?

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 124
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.