Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,151,357 members, 7,812,014 topics. Date: Monday, 29 April 2024 at 06:15 AM

Help!!! I Can't Manage My New Puppy - Pets - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Pets / Help!!! I Can't Manage My New Puppy (43247 Views)

Help! I Am About To Give Up On This Puppy / Just Bought This New Puppy / Petlanders .... Say Hello To My New Puppy.. Pet Dog... (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (Reply) (Go Down)

Help!!! I Can't Manage My New Puppy by Dorwadora(f): 9:51pm On Apr 11, 2022
Good evening everyone.

The problem is that my new puppy is been too problematical. I just can't manage her. Recently someone gifted me the puppy(2 weeks old) after someone at my hostel poisoned my 2 cats angry angry angry. I really don't have any idea on how to take care of a dog as I am a cat lover.

She a month now and I've noticed that anytime she wants to urinate, she'll hold the urine till I open my door then she'll run in, sniff around and urinate on my rug. Same thing with her poo. She's too demanding, she always want to be on the bed with me so I lock her out on the veranda whenever I want to sleep in the night but in the midnight, she'll scratch my door endlessly, whining and barking ( Her barking is still faint) till I open the door for her then she'll run inside and urinate. My room is smelling like.....eweeh angry angry angry

My cats were not like that... I made a sand bowl for them to urinate and poo and they co-operated with me. Someone advised me to start beating her for her to learn but I hate beating pets ..... Please I need advice on what to do.

Her picture below.... And I need someone to help me identify her breed. Thanks

31 Likes 5 Shares

Re: Help!!! I Can't Manage My New Puppy by Nobody: 9:55pm On Apr 11, 2022
Cook and eat it and rest

307 Likes 20 Shares

Re: Help!!! I Can't Manage My New Puppy by Dorwadora(f): 9:56pm On Apr 11, 2022
Iyaebe:
Cook and eat it and rest
Haaa!!!..... Please I don't want to cook my baby Daisy o

78 Likes 7 Shares

Re: Help!!! I Can't Manage My New Puppy by Nobody: 9:57pm On Apr 11, 2022
Dorwadora:
Haaa!!!..... Please I don't want to cook my baby Daisy o
lol

16 Likes

Re: Help!!! I Can't Manage My New Puppy by Wanbissaka: 10:11pm On Apr 11, 2022
Dorwadora:
Good evening everyone.

The problem is that my new puppy is been too problematical. I just can't manage her. Recently someone gifted me the puppy(2 weeks old) after someone at my hostel poisoned my 2 cats angry angry angry. I really don't have any idea on how to take care of a dog as I am a cat lover.

She a month now and I've noticed that anytime she wants to urinate, she'll hold the urine till I open my door then she'll run in, sniff around and urinate on my rug. Same thing with her poo. She's too demanding, she always want to be on the bed with me so I lock her out on the veranda whenever I want to sleep in the night but in the midnight, she'll scratch my door endlessly, whining and barking ( Her barking is still faint) till I open the door for her then she'll run inside and urinate. My room is smelling like.....eweeh angry angry angry

My cats were not like that... I made a sand bowl for them to urinate and poo and they co-operated with me. Someone advised me to start beating her for her to learn but I hate beating pets ..... Please I need advice on what to do.

see better baby 404

47 Likes

Re: Help!!! I Can't Manage My New Puppy by WoundedLamb: 10:48pm On Apr 11, 2022
Lol... I believe those ancient gods called cats are for people who like animals but maybe not well enough to invest in them or just don't have the time to. They're so independent and yet very entertaining. Dogs, on the other hand, are little babies that always require your attention and validation regardless of thier age.

My love for animals would probably not let me see anything wrong with your dog. But that aside, it appears you have a highly trainable one. The fact that it can hold its pee till it locates a convenient location is already a plus. Intelligent animals with a lot of personality are always a handful but with the right handling, could be very rewarding. When it comes to training animals, positive reinforcement never fails. It's a good thing you've learned the dog's pattern/body language. Use that to your advantage. Pay attention to know when it's about to pee, take it outside and stay with it till it does that. Then offer it some treat, praise and play with it. Do this for some time, and you'd be amazed how fast he'd learn.

I have a lot of pets including two different species of parrots, and I can tell you dogs are the easiest to train simply because of thier desire to impress us. But then again, if you realise you just can't handle the puppy, please give to someone who can for the sake of you both. smiley

231 Likes 16 Shares

Re: Help!!! I Can't Manage My New Puppy by Dorwadora(f): 11:07pm On Apr 11, 2022
WoundedLamb:
smiley
On the contrary, I have time to invest on my pets... I'm a student. I just gats this love for cats, it's natural. The way they ignore me elegantly always make me laugh. Their sleek body and their whining meows grin grin grin....

I was once called a witch by Ikillbrokebitch because I said I own a black cat grin grin grin grin.

But dogs, I'm new to them, I don't know anything about them and they are not as intelligent as cats. My dog Daisy is still not answering her name tho she reacts to noise and signs.

I've been advised not to own a cat after the previous one were poisoned to avoid people's superstitious opinion. I would have just gotten another set after my mourning month angry angry angry. And yes I always follow her in after opening the door then pick her up to help her urinate in her sand bowl... I'm not giving her out .... She's a cute soul.

42 Likes 1 Share

Re: Help!!! I Can't Manage My New Puppy by WoundedLamb: 1:39pm On Apr 12, 2022
Dorwadora:
On the contrary, I have time to invest in my pests... I'm a student. I just gats this love for cats, it's natural. The way they ignore me elegantly always make me laugh. There sleek body and their whining meows grin grin grin....

I was once called a witch by Ikillbrokebitch because I said I own a black cat grin grin grin grin.

But dogs, I'm new to them, I don't know anything about them and they are not as intelligent as cats. My dog Daisy is still not answering her name tho she reacts to noise and signs.

I've been advised not to own a cat after the previous one were poisoned to avoid people's superstitious opinion. I would have just gotten another set after my mourning month angry angry angry. And yes I always follow her in after opening the door then pick her up to help her urinate in her sand bowl... I'm not giving her out .... She's a cute soul.

Lmao. grin

I like cats too, but from all indication, I feel you just don't how to raise dogs. You're so in tune with cats that you're attempting to raise a dog as a cat. First, unlike cats, some dog breeds don't like doing thier business on sand and even those that do wouldn't instinctively start doing it in litter-boxes like cats do. It all stems from the natural adaptations of each animal. Cats are small and require less amount of exercise. They can just run around the house and be OK, so doing thier business in a litter-box is fine. On the other hand, dogs need to take a long walk daily. The owner wouldn't be obliged to take the dog out if they were naturally adapted to use litter-boxes like cats. That said, litter-boxes are OK for small breeds of dogs and larger breeds can also be trained to use them provided you don't forget to walk them daily nevertheless. The keyword is "train". Again, pay attention to what the dog likes. Intelligent animals have the brain capacity to have distinct preferences. You might need to replace sand with fine gravel or turf.

You think cats are more intelligent because of an untrained puppy you've had for a few weeks? Lol... While cats have more natural instincts than dogs and even humans (enough to see them through life without formally learning things) they aren't really more intelligent than dogs if you view it in terms of acquired knowledge (where dogs are similar to humans). Cats just don't learn as fast as dogs and can't learn nearly as much also (and as I said, they don't even need to). Dog's learning is also more progressive. Thier superior brain capacity makes them more reliable in the long run. Since you're bent on keeping the dog, you must begin to learn how to love and take care of it's physical and mental needs as a dog. You also need to stop comparing the cute little thing to cats cause it's just not a cat.

Daisy is a nice name. smiley

119 Likes 5 Shares

Re: Help!!! I Can't Manage My New Puppy by Doncolidon: 1:57pm On Apr 12, 2022
Dorwadora:
On the contrary, I have time to invest in my pests... I'm a student. I just gats this love for cats, it's natural. The way they ignore me elegantly always make me laugh. There sleek body and their whining meows grin grin grin....

C'mon give that lil pup a break! She's still very much young you know, just a month, that's like a 5 month old human baby. What do you expect from a 5 month old human baby if I may ask? Would she answer to her name or even hear you call?

Cats on the other hand are quite something else with taking care of themselves. You see how they clean up themselves and all that? They're intriguing.
However, dogs are very smart, you remember that. And if you've owned breeds like Gsd, doberman etc you'd marvel at the level of intelligence. Just give your dog time. For her to even hold her urine & poo instinctively for that long at her age is a huge plus; pretty well behaved that one, watch out for her.

Begin her potty training, she's already made it even easier for you. If you've been paying keen attention you must've timed how long she could hold on to the urine, get a dog collar and leash, once it's time put her on leash and take her to where you want her to be doing her business. Stay there with her as you guys walk around, she'd be sniffing the place, give her some time. Once she can't hold it any longer she'd grab the clue what is required of her and she'd do her business there.
And again, the reason she's jumping inside your room to pee and poo is b'cos the veranda is already her crib, and dogs don't poo or pee where they sleep except they had no choice; Yes! They're that smart if you don't know. So she sees your room as going outside... You grab? So you have to find a way to change that. It's either you let her sleep with you inside then take her out at the veranda from time to time for potty break, or you divide that veranda into two (if it's spacious anyway)..
Arrange one part to be her room (you can put blankets, wrapper or something to lie on), and then leave the other part of the veranda as a place of business (potty place).
Come back here and inform me how it went.
And remember to take her for potty break within 10 - 15mins after each meal. Then in the night during sleep, work out the time intervals according to your observation like I pointed out earlier.

By the way your dog is cute. Keep tendering that care and love and you'd have yourself a great pup once you've been able to establish that bond. Dogs are little fascinating gods among us smiley

81 Likes 4 Shares

Re: Help!!! I Can't Manage My New Puppy by Dorwadora(f): 8:37pm On Apr 12, 2022
Doncolidon:
C'mon give that lil pup a break! She's still very much young you know, just a month, that's like a 5 month old human baby. What do you expect from a 5 month old human baby if I may ask? Would she answer to her name or even hear you call?

Cats on the other hand are quite something else with taking care of themselves. You see how they clean up themselves and all that? They're intriguing.
However, dogs are very smart, you remember that. And if you've owned breeds like Gsd, doberman etc you'd marvel at the level of intelligence. Just give your dog time. For her to even hold her urine & poo instinctively for that long at her age is a huge plus; pretty well behaved that one, watch out for her.

Begin her potty training, she's already made it even easier for you. If you've been paying keen attention you must've timed how long she could hold on to the urine, get a dog collar and leash, once it's time put her on leash and take her to where you want her to be doing her business. Stay there with her as you guys walk around, she'd be sniffing the place, give her some time. Once she can't hold it any longer she'd grab the clue what is required of her and she'd do her business there.
And again, the reason she's jumping inside your room to pee and poo is b'cos the veranda is already her crib, and dogs don't poo or pee where they sleep except they had no choice; Yes! They're that smart if you don't know. So she sees your room as going outside... You grab? So you have to find a way to change that. It's either you let her sleep with you inside then take her out at the veranda from time to time for potty break, or you divide that veranda into two (if it's spacious anyway)..
Arrange one part to be her room (you can put blankets, wrapper or something to lie on), and then leave the other part of the veranda as a place of business (potty place).
Come back here and inform me how it went.
And remember to take her for potty break within 10 - 15mins after each meal. Then in the night during sleep, work out the time intervals according to your observation like I pointed out earlier.

By the way your dog is cute. Keep tendering that care and love and you'd have yourself a great pup once you've been able to establish that bond. Dogs are little fascinating gods among us smiley
Thank you so much sir... I'll try to be more patient with her. Tho already I made a crib for her.... A duvet and a pillow, she love the pillow alot and I make sure to disinfect the veranda every weekend because she's very picky about where she stay.... I've learnt alot now sir.... Thanks so much.

I'll also like to ask, I've was told to beat her anytime she urinate or poo inside.... Is it a good idea at all.

8 Likes 1 Share

Re: Help!!! I Can't Manage My New Puppy by Doncolidon: 11:06pm On Apr 12, 2022
Dorwadora:
Thank you so much sir... I'll try to be more patient with her. Tho already I made a crib for her.... A duvet and a pillow, she love the pillow alot and I make sure to disinfect the veranda every weekend because she's very picky about where she stay.... I've learnt alot now sir.... Thanks so much.

I'll also like to ask, I've was told to beat her anytime she urinate or poo inside.... Is it a good idea at all.
You're welcome my dear, glad I could help.
I know you'd be tempted to spank her anytime she pees or poos inside, I've been there, but trust me that's not the best way to get her to act right, heed not to such idea/suggestion. Besides she's still very much younger a puppy you know, c'mon now...

Anytime she mistakenly pees or poos inside just loudly and sternly say NO! (Not necessarily shouting per se)
Then carry her outside to where you intended her to do it instead. However believe me, if you pay close attention to her you'd know once she's pressed and wants to relieve herself. And also if you'd keep to the schedule regarding her potty break like I suggested to you earlier, you'll not have such accidents (although not completely eliminated b'cos she's still very much younger).
My girl whines or sniffs around restlessly anytime she's pressed and she can't go outside to do it. She even barks out at me if I'm not paying attention, however she's much older than yours. Even though mine is older than your pup accidents do happen still (pee anyway, but never poo). Reason I asked you to give yours some time, she's doing great already.
Keep it up, e no easy with puppies honestly. They're like whinny little babies.. Lol

32 Likes 4 Shares

Re: Help!!! I Can't Manage My New Puppy by obi676: 4:08am On Apr 14, 2022
okay
Re: Help!!! I Can't Manage My New Puppy by TriCee: 9:29pm On Apr 16, 2022
Hian, sell am back abeg. No go dey stress innocent puppy wy dem just born.

6 Likes 1 Share

Re: Help!!! I Can't Manage My New Puppy by uncleck: 9:29pm On Apr 16, 2022
Keeping dogs as pet is not an investment. Keeping pets generally is act of passion. You have passion for cats and not for dogs, sell/gift the puppy to those who have passion for it and concentrate on cats if you must keep one.

7 Likes

Re: Help!!! I Can't Manage My New Puppy by phemmyfour: 9:30pm On Apr 16, 2022
Dorwadora:
Good evening everyone.

Take the rug outside....she's attracted to the rug. Probably, it's time to get her a rug

3 Likes

Re: Help!!! I Can't Manage My New Puppy by xeratek: 9:30pm On Apr 16, 2022
Sell the dog if you cannot take care of it

3 Likes

Re: Help!!! I Can't Manage My New Puppy by harmargedon: 9:30pm On Apr 16, 2022
Re: Help!!! I Can't Manage My New Puppy by FactBoyz: 9:31pm On Apr 16, 2022
wink
Re: Help!!! I Can't Manage My New Puppy by harmargedon: 9:31pm On Apr 16, 2022
Dorwadora:
Good evening everyone.

don't leave her outside unless it's safe, she's too small to be left alone. You can teach her where to urinate by either carrying her outside when you notice that she wants to urinate. I wouldn't advice you beat, because she's still very tender. This is the right age to potty train her. Teach her to use the potty, little by little. Training a dog requires patience, unlike cats, they know where to pop, you don't have to teach them.

8 Likes

Re: Help!!! I Can't Manage My New Puppy by Heroicvic(m): 9:31pm On Apr 16, 2022
What type of house are you living anyway?

3 Likes

Re: Help!!! I Can't Manage My New Puppy by Yaspola: 9:32pm On Apr 16, 2022
coolewo

1 Like

Re: Help!!! I Can't Manage My New Puppy by SaintAlbert53: 9:33pm On Apr 16, 2022
Please can you give it to me? I will take good care of it.

3 Likes

Re: Help!!! I Can't Manage My New Puppy by WhizdomXX(m): 9:33pm On Apr 16, 2022
Earlier ago masturbation, now dogs.
All of these happening back to back.
Nairaland moderators, what is happening?

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: Help!!! I Can't Manage My New Puppy by BigDawsNet: 9:33pm On Apr 16, 2022
All your complains are normal for puppies

You have
You can control it but it will be too stressful

Just relax... in the next few months... the puppy Behavio will change with time

4 Likes

Re: Help!!! I Can't Manage My New Puppy by tonididdy(m): 9:33pm On Apr 16, 2022
It will take a cat lover extreme patience and more commitment to deal with a puppy.

As for the peeing in the house, I don't know if there's a remedy to that with puppies. You just have to put a mopstick and bucket with dettol/water mix, close by.

My only advice: if you don't want to have a liability that just eats and sleeps and isn't fearless, you have to put the puppy on a leash and away from everyday eyes.

5 Likes

Re: Help!!! I Can't Manage My New Puppy by MrBrownJay1(m): 9:33pm On Apr 16, 2022
marking her territory.... every time she urinate/shiit inside, you need to correct/punish her so she understands that she is doing something wrong...and reward her every time she urinate/shiit outside (or in the designated pee/shit area)

your dog is bored and needs attention... also, it was given to you too early and needs proper care at such age)

7 Likes

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (Reply)

9 Unique Dog Breeds U May Never Come Across / Dog Eats Lady's Phd Certificate (Photos) / My Dog Is Reacting To Something. HELP!!!

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 76
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.