Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,151,593 members, 7,812,936 topics. Date: Monday, 29 April 2024 at 11:01 PM

Help! I Am About To Give Up On This Puppy - Pets - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Pets / Help! I Am About To Give Up On This Puppy (42950 Views)

Help!!! I Can't Manage My New Puppy / What's The Specie And Breed Of This Puppy? / Should I Kill This Puppy? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply) (Go Down)

Help! I Am About To Give Up On This Puppy by TheLoanGuy: 8:09pm On Oct 18, 2021
So on Saturday, my dad called me that someone gave him a GSD mixed breed puppy (local dog mom & GSD dad). The owner said it is 9 weeks old.

I love the puppy, in fact first thing I did when I got to my parent's place was to take it to the vet, for shots and deworming.

I slept over at their place and took it home with me yesterday. I do not have a cage, so it slept in the room with me, before I woke up it has messed up the whole room and it's poop is watery (I am not sure if that's how it's supposed to be or if it's because it was dewormed on Saturday, because I notice worms anytime it poops up until this morning).

The rest of the day, it kept pooping all over the place, it does this almost immediately after it finish eating.

I have been feeding it boiled egg since I'm Saturday, but it stopped accepting today, I made custard and milk for it, it didn't accept it, luckily I had chicken at home, I fed it with chicken and it ate it.

I work from home, but looking after it slowed down my work today and I was so stressed.

Part of the issues I have is:

1. How do I get it to poop on a spot or something? Or do I get cage for it, keep it there and let it poop there while I clean it later in the day? I am already thinking of making a cage for it and keeping it in my balcony.

2. Is the poop supposed to be watery? Is it a sign of diarrhea? Should I get something a drug for it?

3. I want to get dog food for it tomorrow (vet recommended pedigree puppy). What else can I feed it? Please I need recommendations.

Please I need your help abeg dog experts. Before I return it back to my dad.

See the cute baby below

15 Likes 1 Share

Re: Help! I Am About To Give Up On This Puppy by xpressionx(m): 8:12pm On Oct 18, 2021
Hmm
Re: Help! I Am About To Give Up On This Puppy by Mrsoft3(m): 8:13pm On Oct 18, 2021
Watery stool? Does it smell very bad? If it does smell na parvo ooo,slim chance of survival

14 Likes 1 Share

Re: Help! I Am About To Give Up On This Puppy by TheLoanGuy: 8:18pm On Oct 18, 2021
Mrsoft3:
Watery stool? Does it smell very bad? If it does smell na parvo ooo,slim chance of survival
Omo that would be so sad, the poop smells moderately. Although, I suspect parvo might be the case but the vet says we should keep watching.

The puppy is very active and playful, it shows no sign of weakness except when it sleeps. In fact most of the night it parades the house and chews on anything.

41 Likes 4 Shares

Re: Help! I Am About To Give Up On This Puppy by Longsleeve: 8:34pm On Oct 18, 2021
Mixed Rottweiler..not Mixed GSD

64 Likes 5 Shares

Re: Help! I Am About To Give Up On This Puppy by akoniyong: 8:48pm On Oct 18, 2021
Hello @The Loan Guy.

First, what's the intention of keeping that dog, is it for house security, pet or business. If It's for business, please sell that Dog ASAP. If it's for pet or security, then I can advice you further.
Firstly, you dont allow your dog wallow around after eating, exactly what' they do next,after eating is poo. I'd advise you get a cage 4/3m3, 4m3 wood, top zinc and side netting for better ventilation, under it should be a net so the poo can drop down. If you don't mind dropping your number so I can show you how Dog Cage looks, . For the issue of watery stool, does it smells? Is there a blood in it? Like a touch of blood, if yes, my brother, that's a Parvo virus, very deadly. It kills within 7 days if not attended to immediately, I lost my Bull dog to it. I'm a Breeder. I have a Cauc, 2 GSD's, Bullmastive, Haund, and Bull dog (dead to Parvo). I don't breed cross breeds, because it's strictly for Business. We can continue this conversation via whatsapp so I can show you the tips of keeping a healthy dog, how to potty train your puppy, the simple commands with video samples etc. (please I don't do this for money).

199 Likes 16 Shares

Re: Help! I Am About To Give Up On This Puppy by TheLoanGuy: 8:59pm On Oct 18, 2021
akoniyong:
Hello @The Loan Guy.

First, what's the intention of keeping that dog, is it for house security, pet or business. It's for business, please sell that Dog ASAP. If it's for pet or security, then I can advice you further.
Firstly, you dont allow your day wallow around after eating, exactly what's next is pooing. I'd advise you get a cage 4/3m3, 4m3 wood, top zinc and side netting for better ventilation, under it should be a net so the poo can drop down. If you don't mind dropping your number so I can show you how Dog Cage looks, . For the issue of watery stool, does it smells? Is there a blood in it? Like a touch of blood, if yes, my brother, that's a Parvo virus, very deadly. It kills within 7 days if not attended to immediately, I'm a Breeder in Jos. I have Cauc, 2 GSD's, Bullmastive, Haund, and Bull dog (dead to Parvo). We can continue this conversation via whatsapp so I can show you the tips of keeping a healthy dog, how to potty train your puppy, the simple commands with video samples etc. (please I don't do this for money).
Omo thanks a lot, I really appreciate it. I am not doing it for business but to keep as a pet/security.

We can discuss further on WhatsApp. .... Let me know when you've copied the number, so I can remove it.

7 Likes

Re: Help! I Am About To Give Up On This Puppy by Flexherbal(m): 8:59pm On Oct 18, 2021
3. I want to get dog food for it tomorrow (vet recommended pedigree puppy). What else can I feed it? Please I need recommendations.

Go to the vet.
He will advise you better.

4 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Help! I Am About To Give Up On This Puppy by akoniyong: 9:14pm On Oct 18, 2021
Delete it. I've copied. I've sent you a message

2 Likes 3 Shares

Re: Help! I Am About To Give Up On This Puppy by Emocruize(m): 9:16pm On Oct 18, 2021
Any thing concerning dog is very expensive

you should worry about the poop if it has traces of blood in it.

Op for now that puppy has to poop anywhere until it have sense
I never for once loved caging dogs cause i love them around me but caging it will go a long way solving many problems.

7 Likes 3 Shares

Re: Help! I Am About To Give Up On This Puppy by akoniyong: 9:18pm On Oct 18, 2021

1 Like 2 Shares

Re: Help! I Am About To Give Up On This Puppy by akoniyong: 9:20pm On Oct 18, 2021
Emocruize:
Any thing concerning dog is very expensive

you should worry about the poop if it has traces of blood in it.

Op for now that puppy has to poop anywhere until it have sense
I never for once loved caging dogs cause i love them around me but caging it will go a long way solving many problems.

You're wrong here sir.

Let em eat in a cage, then after some while bring em out. It's very simple sir

19 Likes 1 Share

Re: Help! I Am About To Give Up On This Puppy by Emocruize(m): 9:30pm On Oct 18, 2021
akoniyong:

You're wrong here sir.

Let em eat in a cage, then after some while bring em out. It's very simple sir
Yeah not a bad idea

hope you're living in your own compoud and will keep close watch on it cause i know what i'm saying

7 Likes 1 Share

Re: Help! I Am About To Give Up On This Puppy by akoniyong: 9:57pm On Oct 18, 2021
Emocruize:

Yeah not a bad idea

hope you're living in your own compoud and will keep close watch on it cause i know what i'm saying

What I normally do is, before I feed my dog, I put her in a cage, give her food and at exactly 20 minute after, I withdraw both the plate and water. I wait for another 10 minute and when I go to pick her back to my room, she has already poo. She will not poo till the following day, she walks into my room as if she pays rent self

40 Likes 3 Shares

Re: Help! I Am About To Give Up On This Puppy by Emocruize(m): 10:30pm On Oct 18, 2021
akoniyong:

What I normally do is, before I feed my dog, I put her in a cage, give her food and at exactly 20 minute after, I withdraw both the plate and water. I wait for another 10 minute and when I go to pick her back to my room, she has already poo. She will not poo till the following day, she walks into my room as if she pays rent self

1 Like

Re: Help! I Am About To Give Up On This Puppy by Emocruize(m): 10:34pm On Oct 18, 2021
you know? these dogs behave like withcrafts sometimes

you might just come one day and see urine on your bed.

grin
akoniyong:

3 Likes 1 Share

Re: Help! I Am About To Give Up On This Puppy by akoniyong: 7:11am On Oct 19, 2021
Emocruize:

grin

Lol. It's possible sha, but I haven't experienced such. It's all about training your puppy. Have you wondered why oyinbo Dog dey always stay with Dem 247 in deir room. ? That's because they've trained it on potty, and where to poo and pee. It may take a while but they will learn if u teach them. �

33 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Help! I Am About To Give Up On This Puppy by Longsleeve: 3:26pm On Oct 20, 2021
Emocruize:

grin
Even poo self.. na that one pain me pass..

3 Likes 1 Share

Re: Help! I Am About To Give Up On This Puppy by jessejagga(m): 11:43pm On Oct 20, 2021
akoniyong:

Lol. It's possible sha, but I haven't experienced such. It's all about training your puppy. Have you wondered why oyinbo Dog dey always stay with Dem 247 in deir room. ? That's because they've trained it on potty, and where to poo and pee. It may take a while but they will learn if u teach them. �

True sha... But i have this stubborn lhasa training it on potty o but when the dog is angry he likes to pee and poo on bed...mainly if u go out without taking him along

32 Likes 5 Shares

Re: Help! I Am About To Give Up On This Puppy by TheLoanGuy: 9:30am On Oct 21, 2021
Thanks to everyone for their contributions.

And for helping detect what was wrong with Rocky properly. His condition got worse on Tuesday and in fact I had given up, I was moved to tears, to think that I just met Rocky on Saturday.
His poo was watery and had traces of blood and it also vomitted like twice. I called the vet and he asked me to bring 20k to start treatment first and that we'll talk about the balance later, I just gave this vet guy 14k on Saturday. It became clear to me that this guy was out to extort me.

I decided to research here on Nairaland, searched for "puppy parvo, puppy parvovirus" on the search box. It brought out other people's experience and what they did to help their dogs/puppies get through it.

I came across a guy's post on Nairaland about his dog having parvo, someone dropped a 24 hours solution for curing a puppy/dog of parvo, I didn't believe it at first but what did I stand to lose? Maybe Rocky sha, but I was determined I wasn't going to give the vet that 20k.

So I followed the guy's guide (I tweaked it a bit, based on small public health knowledge that I have and one other person's guide) and Rocky's poo for the first time since I got it was solid yesterday night and it has stopped vomitting. His play activity is now x3 of what it used to be and appetite has skyrocketed.

So here's how I cured Rocky of Parvovirus

I got
Virest 400mg (Aciclovir) - according to the guide, it stops the DNA replication of the virus in it's body. I got it for N6,500.

Diastop - to prevent it from vomiting and stop the watery poo. Although, Almethazine injection was recommended for this but since I don't know how to inject the puppy and Rocky was still able to ingest, I opted for Diastop (I saw this on another thread). I got this for N400.

Multivitamin syrup - He recommended the one with Zinc but I wasn't able to get that.

ORS -

Syringes 5ml - I did not use the needle, just the syringe to administer the medication to rocky orally after mixing.

Zinc - since I couldn't get multivitamin with zinc.
I mixed two tablets of zinc with a 75cl mix of a sachet of ORS, which I administered orally through the syring to Rocky. Based on my little public health education, for little kids, when a child has diarrhea, zinc is advised to be added to it.

Hypo - to mop the whole floor in the house and then I restricted it to the room.

So the first day (night).
I administered 2ml of Diastop
Grinded 400mg of virest and mixed with 2ml of the multivitamin.
Gave it 5ml of ORS 3 times.

Then later in the night, I gave it egg, it didn't eat it until in the midnight while I was sleeping.

I repeated the medication again early in the morning about 12 hours later.

I researched about things that dogs can eat on Google while they're recovering from parvo, I saw chicken, I bought half kilo of chicken, removed the flesh,cut out a portion and boiled it without salt and gave Rocky to eat. He loved it.

He pooed about 5 mins later, it was a mixture of solid and watery poo with no traces of blood. It showed that there was progress, I was determined to see monitor what Rocky's next poo would be like, so I can know if I was truly making progress or not.

About 4-5 hours later, I boiled rice without salt also and mixed it with chicken. Because of the chicken it ate the rice also.

At night, I boiled chicken for it again and made egg for it, which I kept for it before going to bed, he didn't eat it, just sniffed and left. Around midnight, it ate it and about 5 mins later, it started pacing and crying to poo and when it eventually did, the poo was solid for the first time and energy came from nowhere, Rocky started playing with x3 energy.

I hope someone would find this useful in the future like I did. Thanks to God, the wonderful guys here akoniyong for his concern and advise and to Nairaland.

Here are the the thread links I used to find the solution:
https://www.nairaland.com/4617661/please-puppy-dying-parvo-virus#69464177

https://www.nairaland.com/4373838/murphy-boerboel-gustaf-german-shepherd#65475926

126 Likes 18 Shares

Re: Help! I Am About To Give Up On This Puppy by Olafisoyem: 11:52pm On Oct 21, 2021
Your dog is very cute and I hope you have many years together.

Imagine a new born baby. They pop on their body until they are grown enough to know better. That’s the exact same thing with your dog. Gradually it will learn. Don’t worry about the pop for now especially if it strong and happy.

It’s a life long commitment but dogs are really your best friend. Good luck

16 Likes 1 Share

Re: Help! I Am About To Give Up On This Puppy by TheLoanGuy: 6:58pm On Oct 22, 2021
Olafisoyem:
Your dog is very cute and I hope you have many years together.

Imagine a new born baby. They pop on their body until they are grown enough to know better. That’s the exact same thing with your dog. Gradually it will learn. Don’t worry about the pop for now especially if it strong and happy.

It’s a life long commitment but dogs are really your best friend. Good luck
Thank you.

1 Like

Re: Help! I Am About To Give Up On This Puppy by mercy997: 2:08am On Oct 23, 2021
okay
Re: Help! I Am About To Give Up On This Puppy by TheLoanGuy: 7:47pm On Oct 24, 2021
Rocky earlier today. Seems to have gotten bigger a bit.

Meanwhile, I noticed a skin patch on his right ear and he scratches his body a lot, I read that it might be caused by a parasite on his fur, I've checked but I've not visibly seen any.

I am hoping to take him to the vet on Tuesday.

5 Likes 1 Share

Re: Help! I Am About To Give Up On This Puppy by kekakuz(m): 9:19pm On Oct 24, 2021
I just locked my GSd out this evening. Am fed up. I no just wan kill am or sell am. I locked it out. Hoping the dog will just walk away

3 Likes 1 Share

Re: Help! I Am About To Give Up On This Puppy by TheLoanGuy: 9:22pm On Oct 24, 2021
kekakuz:
I just locked my GSd out this evening. Am fed up. I no just wan kill am or sell am. I locked it out. Hoping the dog will just walk away
Lol are you serious? Calmdown.

What's the issue you have with the dog?

3 Likes

Re: Help! I Am About To Give Up On This Puppy by treasurevee9(f): 1:08am On Oct 25, 2021
Why get a dog if you don't have the patience to train it?. Abeg allow the dog come inside

2 Likes

Re: Help! I Am About To Give Up On This Puppy by TheLoanGuy: 1:10pm On Oct 26, 2021
Rocks says Hi,

I took him to the vet today for his shedding fur and skin patches on his body caused by mange/ringworm.

He also got his first collar today. He's a fine boy cool

14 Likes

Re: Help! I Am About To Give Up On This Puppy by harmargedon: 10:17am On Nov 01, 2021
TheLoanGuy:
So on Saturday, my dad called me that someone gave him a GSD mixed breed puppy (local dog mom & GSD dad). The owner said it is 9 weeks old.

I love the puppy, in fact first thing I did when I got to my parent's place was to take it to the vet, for shots and deworming.

I slept over at their place and took it home with me yesterday. I do not have a cage, so it slept in the room with me, before I woke up it has messed up the whole room and it's poop is watery (I am not sure if that's how it's supposed to be or if it's because it was dewormed on Saturday, because I notice worms anytime it poops up until this morning).

The rest of the day, it kept pooping all over the place, it does this almost immediately after it finish eating.

I have been feeding it boiled egg since I'm Saturday, but it stopped accepting today, I made custard and milk for it, it didn't accept it, luckily I had chicken at home, I fed it with chicken and it ate it.

I work from home, but looking after it slowed down my work today and I was so stressed.

Part of the issues I have is:

1. How do I get it to poop on a spot or something? Or do I get cage for it, keep it there and let it poop there while I clean it later in the day? I am already thinking of making a cage for it and keeping it in my balcony.

2. Is the poop supposed to be watery? Is it a sign of diarrhea? Should I get something a drug for it?

Please I need your help abeg dog experts. Before I return it back to my dad.

See the cute baby below
how's your dog doing?
Re: Help! I Am About To Give Up On This Puppy by harmargedon: 10:19am On Nov 01, 2021
TheLoanGuy:
Rocks says Hi,

I took him to the vet today for his shedding fur and skin patches on his body caused by mange/ringworm.

He also got his first collar today. He's a fine boy cool
lots of things can cause hair loss in dogs, first is seasonal, second is what you feed it, third is lack of grooming, forth is infection. Can I see pics of the spots where the hair loss is?

1 Like

Re: Help! I Am About To Give Up On This Puppy by TheLoanGuy: 4:45pm On Nov 01, 2021
harmargedon:
how's your dog doing?
He's doing really good. I took him for his 2nd shot today.

The Vet says he's most likely going to be am aggressive dog because he was restless and wanted to bite the vet when he was giving him his shot.
Re: Help! I Am About To Give Up On This Puppy by TheLoanGuy: 4:46pm On Nov 01, 2021
harmargedon:
lots of things can cause hair loss in dogs, first is seasonal, second is what you feed it, third is lack of grooming, forth is infection. Can I see pics of the spots where the hair loss is?
I'll share that soon.

The vet said I should give him a thorough bath and said it was mange, before applying the lotion and cream I got. I haven't bathed for him since I brought him from my parent's place and I doubt he has bathed since he was born.

4 Likes

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply)

My Guardian Dogs All Grown Now / Pictures Of Black Scorpion Eating A Cockroach In My Compound / Nigerian Man Eats From The Same Plate With A Hen (Video)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 67
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.