Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,518 members, 7,816,255 topics. Date: Friday, 03 May 2024 at 08:20 AM

How Do I Stop Behaving Like My Dad - Family - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Family / How Do I Stop Behaving Like My Dad (22790 Views)

Nairalanders Please Help, My First Son Is Behaving Somehow / May I Not Marry A Woman Like My Mum / One Of My Sons Looks Exactly Like My Late Father (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply) (Go Down)

How Do I Stop Behaving Like My Dad by Jmichael1(m): 8:40pm On Apr 14, 2022
Good day my fellow nairalanders.
please I'm not good in writting, abeg make una pardon me. I just want to go straight to the point.

i'm michael,the first child of my parents(all boys)as a 1st son,i took 90% of my dad character of wish i don't like 70% of them but i can't stop acting like him, I behave exactly like him in almost every thing.

I have tried all i could to stop bt no way...
Please want do u guys suggest for me to do?
i don't want to live the kind of life my dad lived.

please i need your advice...

28 Likes 6 Shares

Re: How Do I Stop Behaving Like My Dad by MrBrownJay1(m): 8:43pm On Apr 14, 2022
there is not much you can do, as you were embedded with such way of life from a very young age, especially if this is how you have lived as an adult man for more than a decade.

but for the sake of sanity, tell us all what are these negative traits and character that you wanna get rid of... as getting rid of "ojukokoro" is easier to do than getting rid of anger/abuse.

64 Likes 1 Share

Re: How Do I Stop Behaving Like My Dad by oldienavie: 8:46pm On Apr 14, 2022
Jmichael1:
please i'm not good in writting,abeg make una pardon me.i just want to go straight to the point..
i'm michael,the first child of my parents(all boys)as a 1st son,i took 90% of my dad character of wish i don't like 70% of them but i can't stop acting like him,i behave exactly like him in almost every tin
grin grin grin I just can't stop laughing.
You are simply refusing to take responsibility for your own actions.
My dad drinks alcoholic, used to be a philanderer who was always running after women and did not know how to manage his finances with some other things.

I have used him as a reference point in my life to ensure I do not live the kind of life that he lived. Despite the fact that I look like him physically, I have ensured that the life I live is completely different from the life he lived.
Despite that I have the opportunity to practise what he did due to my exposure as I have lived abroad for many years, I have ensured to live a responsible life.
The life you live is your choice, do not blame your dad lifestyle.

So stop giving excuses for your own actions, take responsibility. If your dad has a terrible trait, ensure you do not make the same mistakes he made and make your own life better and be more responsible.

354 Likes 28 Shares

Re: How Do I Stop Behaving Like My Dad by Jmichael1(m): 8:56pm On Apr 14, 2022
oldienavie:

grin grin grin I just can't stop laughing.
You are simply refusing to take responsibility for your own actions.
My dad drinks alcoholic, used to be a philanderer who was always running after women and did not know how to manage his finances with some other things.

wow....u jst explained my dad

3 Likes

Re: How Do I Stop Behaving Like My Dad by faithfull18(f): 10:30pm On Apr 14, 2022
Go for deliverance cool. Well, you have to be intentional about changing bad habits/character. What you do or how you act habitually soon becomes a part of you.

10 Likes 1 Share

Re: How Do I Stop Behaving Like My Dad by Polynek(m): 10:36pm On Apr 14, 2022
You have all it takes to change
My father's lifestyle is different from me

11 Likes

Re: How Do I Stop Behaving Like My Dad by Richy4(m): 4:05am On Apr 15, 2022
Would you like to share some of the stuffs that he does that you dislike and you've found yourself doing.....Is it how he walks or talk to people?... neat or dirty behavior... what are the major..

1 Like

Re: How Do I Stop Behaving Like My Dad by frozen70(f): 5:40am On Apr 15, 2022
Jmichael1:
please i'm not good in writting,abeg make una pardon me.i just want to go straight to the point..
i'm michael,the first child of my parents(all boys)as a 1st son,i took 90% of my dad character of wish i don't like 70% of them but i can't stop acting like him,i behave exactly like him in almost every tin

Since you have observed such behavior in you, be determined to change from it

The solution is in you since you have found the problem

14 Likes 2 Shares

Re: How Do I Stop Behaving Like My Dad by ibechris(m): 5:49am On Apr 15, 2022
Traits and Habits are two different things.

Yes,u might not like his habits but u can't change the trait which is genetically the way the family line is known.

Try not to cultivate his habit by all means.

13 Likes 2 Shares

Re: How Do I Stop Behaving Like My Dad by Boogyman557: 6:07am On Apr 15, 2022
Holly Gram cool I for CHUK MOUTH or SHINE small disco LITE 4 dis MATTERZ

But u fit no like my ADVISE, so make English student put mouth 4 the matterz!

LITE UP my WEED in peace

WTF MAN!

2 Likes

Re: How Do I Stop Behaving Like My Dad by Jmichael1(m): 6:15am On Apr 15, 2022
frozen70:

Since you have observed such behavior in you, be determined to change from it
The solution is in you since you have found the problem
thanks bro...

2 Likes

Re: How Do I Stop Behaving Like My Dad by Isacar(m): 6:18am On Apr 15, 2022
Jmichael1:

Bro, the change is starting already, the first step is to identify, the problem, since you've done dat it's, it's gonna be solved......

I was in the same shoes just lyk u few years ago, but wen I noticed the attitude and behavior was uncalled for, I started to make some changes.............

I think sharing dose characters or attitude you don't lyk abt him could also help........

My Dad is some who's proud, arrogant, doesn't pay attention to anyone's opinion, gets angry easily ( even for the most absurd tins)........... Talks to anyone anyhow..........

All these were in me, but it took time to move out, now I'm someone who doesn't behave lyk him anymore.......

I started to make changes to evrytin, anytime on of these attitude try to come up, I'll just let it pass, be4 killing it totally.......

Well many don't know this that as a father u are the leader and Role model of the Family......
Evry Child in the Family looks up to you......
For evry tin in life...... In behavioral pattern, lively hood, religion and beliefs, even sometimes profession...........
Irrespective of whatever, evry1 is gonna be a father someday, let's work hard and try to be a good role model to our fams and evry1 around

38 Likes 3 Shares

Re: How Do I Stop Behaving Like My Dad by Pacesetter2021: 2:52pm On Apr 15, 2022
Jmichael1:
God can replace your natural traits with supernatural traits. All the best.

3 Likes

Re: How Do I Stop Behaving Like My Dad by Jmichael1(m): 6:36pm On Apr 15, 2022
Richy4:
Would you like to share some of the stuffs that he does that you dislike and you've found yourself doing.....Is it how he walks or talk to people?... neat or dirty behavior... what are the major..

bro...they are much ooh.bt to cut the long story,let me tell u the major ones giving me sleepless night....

1)my dad loves women alot,and i'm also into women stuff,i got 6 girlfrds and several hook up babes...

2)u automatically turns to my dad enemy once u fail to abide by his will,i have lost several frds to these same habit,i dislyk any1 who disagree to my words.i always want my words to be the final say in any tin....

3)he always want to be noticed were ever he goes.same tin goes to me..
i went to a club 2wks bk,only to see sum yahoo boys buying drinks up on drinks,i also want people to notice me,bt i was with only 10k on me.
i had to log in 3 dff loans app to take a loan of 150k jst to challenge those guys...

BRO....I NEED HELP.

21 Likes 1 Share

Re: How Do I Stop Behaving Like My Dad by Pacesetter2021: 6:43pm On Apr 15, 2022
Jmichael1:

bro...they are much ooh.bt to cut the long story,let me tell u the major ones giving me sleepless night....

1)my dad loves women alot,and i'm also into women stuff,i got 6 girlfrds and several hook up babes...

2)u automatically turns to my dad enemy once u fail to abide by his will,i have lost several frds to these same habit,i dislyk any1 who disagree to my words.i always want my words to be the final say in any tin....

i went to a club 2wks bk,only to see sum yahoo boys buying drinks up on drinks,i also want people to notice me,bt i was with only 10k on me.
i had to log in 3 dff loans app to take a loan of 150k jst to challenge those guys...

BRO....I NEED HELP.

Narcissist. Look up the Word. Besides the psychological aspect it has spiritual significance, it's called jezebel spirit. You need to be delivered. You can look for genuine deliverance ministers and get your life right.

11 Likes

Re: How Do I Stop Behaving Like My Dad by Jmichael1(m): 6:54pm On Apr 15, 2022
Pacesetter2021:
Narcissist. Look up the Word. Besides the psychological aspect it has spiritual significance, it's called jezebel spirit. You need to be delivered. You can look for genuine deliverance ministers and get your life right.

bro i need it.
bt were can i get a genuine church in dis country?
i stop going to church or had any tin to do with church ever since one pastor here in yenagoa use my 50k take shine....

6 Likes 1 Share

Re: How Do I Stop Behaving Like My Dad by Pacesetter2021: 7:11pm On Apr 15, 2022
Jmichael1:

bro i need it.
bt were can i get a genuine church in dis country?
i stop going to church or had any tin to do with church ever since one pastor here in yenagoa use my 50k take shine....
Message @enthronedbyGod1 here on naira land. God has used him to bless me and he never asks for a dime. I will warn you tho, If you are not really ready for the change you desire, don't bother, he doesn't entertain unseriousness.

8 Likes 1 Share

Re: How Do I Stop Behaving Like My Dad by oldienavie: 8:12pm On Apr 15, 2022
Jmichael1:

BRO....I NEED HELP.

You don't need help. You are simply stupid and have failed to take proper stock of your life.
Stop blaming your dad for your own excesses and stupidity.

Take responsibility for your life and stop blaming spiritual forces for your own lack of self control and discipline.
You don't need a prophet to pray for you to stop womanising, you only need to practise self control and focus your energy on something that will make you a better person, acquiring skill to better your life and know that godliness with contentment is great gain.

14 Likes

Re: How Do I Stop Behaving Like My Dad by haggai247: 6:33am On May 05, 2022
MrBrownJay1:
there is not much you can do, as you were embedded with such way of life from a very young age, especially if this is how you have lived as an adult man for more than a decade.

but for the sake of sanity, tell us all what are these negative traits and character that you wanna get rid of... as getting rid of "ojukokoro" is easier to do than getting rid of anger/abuse.

You sentenced him without parole.

You can change Any behavior I mean Any with your thoughts and action.

Nothing is set In Stone

2 Likes

Re: How Do I Stop Behaving Like My Dad by haggai247: 6:37am On May 05, 2022
oldienavie:

You don't need help. You are simply stupid and have failed to take proper stock of your life.
Stop blaming your dad for your own excesses and stupidity.

Take responsibility for your life and stop blaming spiritual forces for your own lack of self control and discipline.
You don't need a prophet to pray for you to stop womanising, you only need to practise self control and focus your energy on something that will make you a better person, acquiring skill to better your life and know that godliness with contentment is great gain.

Best advice control=responsibility.

Many people want God to do the work they can easily do for themselves.

Napoleon Hill twenty principle of success control was number 12 but millions avoid taking responsibility.

I never want to be near anyone who shy away from responsibility and like excuses that's why my cycle keep getting smaller daily.

8 Likes

Re: How Do I Stop Behaving Like My Dad by descarado: 6:40am On May 05, 2022
Some times genetic make up and environment can affect how one behaves irrespective of the fact that the Epson don't want to behave in such manner.

But constant reminder and acceptance always win.
Accept that you have flaws like your dad. Engage on those flaws one at a time. Even when you fail, don't give up and continue.

When you wanna marry, don't marry a laid back woman but one who will put fire on your bum when you default. It's a strong motivator.

You can't change all. It's impossible but work on the ones that can mar you.

1 Like

Re: How Do I Stop Behaving Like My Dad by descarado: 6:48am On May 05, 2022
ibechris:
Traits and Habits are two different things.

Yes,u might not like his habits but u can't change the trait which is genetically the way the family line is known.

Try not to cultivate his habit by all means.
Trait breeds habit.
They work hand in hand.
We are the products of our parents after all.

There are some we can never change no matter how we try.

If your dad snores a lot and you find yourself as somebody who snores like him, there is great tendency that you will be always tired, irritated, hbp and sleepy etc just like him.
The ripple effects of snoring must catch up on you.
You can't change that, you know.
Re: How Do I Stop Behaving Like My Dad by efficiencie(m): 7:25am On May 05, 2022
Jmichael1:

Dude the miracle you are asking for is greater than the one Elisha asked for and also greater than the parting of the red sea. You are asking for a change in your life at the fundamental level. Only your creator can effect such a change oh. What you need is a change in your DNA. Through our ancestors we inherited all kinds of evil and good behaviors passed down to us and encoded in our DNA. We became unstable, neither here nor there. Neither hot nor cold. Capable of great good and unimaginable evil.

The only solution to this situation is to be "born again". Forget about the trash that most churches teach. Being born again requires fundamental changes in your psyche, your personality, your spirituality, your consciousness and importantly your DNA. This is why it is greatest miracle of all. It results in your emergence as the latest of God's creation - a new creature.

This is why even though I have spent years identifying as a Christian, I am yet to really accept that I am "born again" because deep within me I know I still bear within me the inheritance of my fathers and grandfathers...but I hope that one day, I will evolve and transcend the limits of my humanity into becoming Godkind.

My advise to you is to seek Jesus. Table this request and this request alone before him repeatedly, continuously, consistently until you wear Him out with your relentless pleas. Perhaps He would grant you this transition from someone whose descendance is from a man to someone whose descendance is from Jesus.

There is more I would like to say concerning this but it would make this post too long and make it seem too religious.

I pray you achieve what you seek just as I pray I achieve it too.

6 Likes 1 Share

Re: How Do I Stop Behaving Like My Dad by CHoccolaTE: 7:29am On May 05, 2022
Jmichael1:

BRO....I NEED HELP.

grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin

8 Likes 1 Share

Re: How Do I Stop Behaving Like My Dad by Guyman02: 9:57pm On May 05, 2022
Do a reappraisal of his good and ugly sides, implement the good sides and work on how to reduce the ugly side manifestation in aspects of your life
Re: How Do I Stop Behaving Like My Dad by Ezedon(m): 9:57pm On May 05, 2022
Just Repent
Re: How Do I Stop Behaving Like My Dad by IKBARUTEN11(m): 9:57pm On May 05, 2022
Your dad lived his life the best way he can

Try and live your own life the best way you can and stop using your dad's lifestyle as a cover up for your wrongs

1 Like 1 Share

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply)

What Advice Would You Give A Brother Who Just Turned 20? / Is 6 Months Enough Or Too Early For A Widow To Start Dating? / Husband Always Chatting And Calling Single Female Colleague

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 65
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.