Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,770 members, 7,817,138 topics. Date: Saturday, 04 May 2024 at 06:51 AM

Creating A New Face For Nl - Programming - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Science/Technology / Programming / Creating A New Face For Nl (4685 Views)

Creating A Group Chat With Html/javascript/php/mysql For Beginners / Creating An Open-source Java Web Service / Creating A Website (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (Reply) (Go Down)

Creating A New Face For Nl by binkabir(m): 11:21am On Jul 07, 2011
with this high level of programmers in NariaLand, i was thinking if we could form a tem and  re-create NL (voluntarily) COMPLETELY, make it suit our ways 100% first - this will make  alot of sense and company and organisation will in some way begin to believe that in Nigeria there are programmers that can do the JOB. kiss kiss
second - We would stop using cms forum which are vulnerable  to  hacking from any part of the world,  undecided undecided

please comment,
Re: Creating A New Face For Nl by Nobody: 2:44am On Jul 08, 2011
Re: Creating A New Face For Nl by dellnet: 5:05am On Jul 08, 2011
omo_to_dun:

The programmers on NL do not have the expertise to create a Nairaland-like forum from scratch, without resorting to CMS.
ermm,
Re: Creating A New Face For Nl by dellnet: 5:08am On Jul 08, 2011
Anyways this issue has been discussed countless times, and NL will remain like this for the foreseeable future.
Re: Creating A New Face For Nl by csharpjava(m): 8:00am On Jul 08, 2011
omo_to_dun:

The programmers on NL do not have the expertise to create a Nairaland-like forum from scratch, without resorting to CMS.

And why do they lack the expertise?
Re: Creating A New Face For Nl by Nobody: 8:08am On Jul 08, 2011
Re: Creating A New Face For Nl by csharpjava(m): 8:17am On Jul 08, 2011
omo_to_dun:

How am I supposed to know why?
Though you don't know why, but I think I know the solution.
Re: Creating A New Face For Nl by Nobody: 8:19am On Jul 08, 2011
Re: Creating A New Face For Nl by csharpjava(m): 8:24am On Jul 08, 2011
omo_to_dun:

Please, do tell.
I think I'll just stay out of this.
Re: Creating A New Face For Nl by Nobody: 8:35am On Jul 08, 2011
Re: Creating A New Face For Nl by csharpjava(m): 8:52am On Jul 08, 2011
omo_to_dun:

No, I wasn't being sarcastic or even looking for a fight; I really am curious about a solution, which is why I am looking forward to yours. We're all here to learn.

The solution is that we need someone who studied software engineering to co-ordinate such a task. Engineers are the people who use technology to solve real life problems, scientists are the ones that develop new technologies for engineers to use. It is a pity that no Uni in Nigeria is offering software engineering. Please correct me if I'm wrong on the later.
Re: Creating A New Face For Nl by Nobody: 8:57am On Jul 08, 2011
Re: Creating A New Face For Nl by binkabir(m): 10:23am On Jul 08, 2011
dell_net:

ermm,
this is a bit unfortunate for we programmers in nigeria. i have done some forum application on intranet for some organisation which is at least very ok even in the international community. i seriously believe i can do it, i only need some very good guys in support in some areas.
if i can find 2 or 3 persons and the owner of NL is interested i am 100% i will deliver in 4 - 6 months.
Re: Creating A New Face For Nl by binkabir(m): 10:28am On Jul 08, 2011
omo_to_dun:

The programmers on NL do not have the expertise to create a Nairaland-like forum from scratch, without resorting to CMS. However, if it is to brag, they can do that day and night.
CMS may look very big like a solution to rely on but it's really NOT. i have meet clients using CMS n by God grace i made them used my custom application to suit all their basic need in a much more effective way.

by the way on one need to tell you that CMS are like fat old camel that can travel far but on efficiency and effectiveness.
they have a lot of code that are most likely not important to ur apps. and bring out very funny error when u try to change the condition on flow.
Re: Creating A New Face For Nl by dellnet: 12:36pm On Jul 08, 2011
why don't you create the kind you imagine?
Re: Creating A New Face For Nl by Fayimora(m): 3:31pm On Jul 08, 2011
csharpjava:

It is a pity that no uni in Nigeria is offering software engineering. .
shocked shocked shocked shocked shocked shocked
Re: Creating A New Face For Nl by Nobody: 8:24am On Jul 11, 2011
@omo_dun i think they are good programmers here,but to be quite frank its true most like to brag,i avoid bragging because i dont know it all,everyday is a learning process for me,as for Nairaland i don't think the owner plans migrating forward because i gave a simple suggestion which was to create a simple API that sits in between just like a REST Web-service that way,others can make numerous variants of nairaland applications or even widgets just like how Twitter does? you know because nairaland i believe can become better,if not we are all just here for nothing if we can't even contribute to help nairaland move which is quite sad,don't you think?
Re: Creating A New Face For Nl by binkabir(m): 9:44am On Jul 11, 2011
pc guru:

@omo_dun i think they are good programmers here,but to be quite frank its true most like to brag,i avoid bragging because i dont know it all,everyday is a learning process for me,as for Nairaland i don't think the owner plans migrating forward because i gave a simple suggestion which was to create a simple API that sits in between just like a REST Web-service that way,others can make numerous variants of nairaland applications or even widgets just like how Twitter does? you know because nairaland i believe can become better,if not we are all just here for nothing if we can't even contribute to help nairaland move which is quite sad,don't you think?
i agree wit you. every body is learning everyday. if unfortunately the owner of NL is not ready to embrace this concept fine, but we programmers should form a term that can work on projects. One problem in Nigeria is that programmer always feel the know everytin and can do everytin by themselves. this is wrong and being selfish. i belong to a team of programmers where we ar 6 in number all around the world (only me is Africa, 2 in Portugal and 3 in US), and we have successfully deployed some web application remotely while been paid by number of success line of code.
i wish this can work here in NL(where i bring a job and a team work on it and deploy it within a month of 2 cry cry).
its really high time we start making use of ourselves for good. wink wink
Re: Creating A New Face For Nl by tundebabzy: 8:46pm On Jul 11, 2011
shocked
Has anyone here heard of web frameworks? A django expert will recreate this site in less than a week plus django is free, very popular and open source. Updates to the framework are pushed when new security tricks are discovered.
The only thing I know MIGHT be hard to recreate is the amount of traffic on nairaland #shikena
Re: Creating A New Face For Nl by binkabir(m): 9:59pm On Jul 11, 2011
tundebabzy:

shocked
Has anyone here heard of web frameworks? A django expert will recreate this site in less than a week plus django is free, very popular and open source. Updates to the framework are pushed when new security tricks are discovered.
The only thing I know MIGHT be hard to recreate is the amount of traffic on nairaland #shikena
Django is a python web framework and is very cool i have worked with it some years back (2006). but i personally prefer Yii framework from PHP http://yiiframework.com
Re: Creating A New Face For Nl by tundebabzy: 10:11pm On Jul 11, 2011
binkabir:

Django is a python web framework and is very cool i have worked with it some years back (2006). but i personally prefer Yii framework from PHP http://yiiframework.com

Frameworks of any language make such projects very easy. Ruby on rails would more or less be like magic so guys, please dont run down everyone, to be honest, recreating this site wouldn't be half as challenging as its being made to seem.
Re: Creating A New Face For Nl by binkabir(m): 10:39pm On Jul 11, 2011
tundebabzy:

Frameworks of any language make such projects very easy. Ruby on rails would more or less be like magic so guys, please dont run down everyone, to be honest, recreating this site wouldn't be half as challenging as its being made to seem.

thanks grin grin grin grin grin i love that
Re: Creating A New Face For Nl by Nobody: 10:41pm On Jul 11, 2011
Re: Creating A New Face For Nl by Fayimora(m): 10:49pm On Jul 11, 2011
Hmmm am wondering when this discussion and the likes would end,
Re: Creating A New Face For Nl by tundebabzy: 11:19pm On Jul 11, 2011
omo_to_dun:

@ tundebabzy

I have read tons of your comments and you are an intelligent guy, and I also disagree with on this issue. As simple as NL seems, it would be a lot of hard work to recreate without using a CMS; do you know of any Nigerian forums that were built from the ground up? I did not mean to be disrespectful to Nigerian programmers who labor everyday to gain knowledge and to put food on their tables; I only gave an honest assessment about the level of skills of the average Nigerian programmer. We still have a long way to go.

I totally agree with you that most Nigerian programmers are average. That is not because they(we) are Nigerian but because of the environment they(we) find themselves(ourselves). I have a classmate who is an engineer in facebook. He works on privacy. He left naija to study in howard uni and before leaving Nigeria, he never ever tried to program.
Re: Creating A New Face For Nl by csharpjava(m): 9:16am On Jul 12, 2011
omo_to_dun:

@ tundebabzy

I have read tons of your comments and you are an intelligent guy, and I also disagree with on this issue. As simple as NL seems, it would be a lot of hard work to recreate without using a CMS; do you know of any Nigerian forums that were built from the ground up? I did not mean to be disrespectful to Nigerian programmers who labor everyday to gain knowledge and to put food on their tables; I only gave an honest assessment about the level of skills of the average Nigerian programmer. We still have a long way to go.

Well said, but what baffles me is that a lot of Nigerians do not like hearing such comments, it is not disrespectful but the truth. Instead of them being annoyed with such comments, they should start looking for how they can put people with the right skills together so that we too can start creating the type of advance software people in the west are creating.
Re: Creating A New Face For Nl by binkabir(m): 10:59am On Jul 12, 2011
csharpjava:

Well said, but what baffles me is that a lot of Nigerians do not like hearing such comments, it is not disrespectful but the truth. Instead of them being annoyed with such comments, they should start looking for how they can put people with the right skills together so that we too can start creating the type of advance software people in the west are creating.

the only way to get these skills and develop advanced softwares like the west is by TEAM WORK. which most programmers in Nigeria dont like to do. And that is the only tool the west uses.
Re: Creating A New Face For Nl by kodewrita(m): 3:07pm On Jul 20, 2011
A clue into Seun Osewa's mindset:
Read about Craig Newmark (Craigslist owner) .

Seun agrees with a lot of his beliefs.
Re: Creating A New Face For Nl by Mobinga: 10:25am On Jul 21, 2011
omo_to_dun:

The programmers on NL do not have the expertise to create a Nairaland-like forum from scratch, without resorting to CMS. However, if it is to brag, they can do that day and night.

Generalizing. I personally dislike CMS. You should use "most" programmers and not "the".
Re: Creating A New Face For Nl by Nobody: 3:18pm On Jul 21, 2011
Re: Creating A New Face For Nl by Fayimora(m): 3:24pm On Jul 21, 2011
Please what is this CMS thingy yall talking about?
Re: Creating A New Face For Nl by csharpjava(m): 4:22pm On Jul 21, 2011
omo_to_dun:

Then prove me wrong. Show me a forum created by anyone here that did not use CMS. I know what I am talking about. This statement is akin to saying that NO ONE on nairaland has the expertise to write an Operating System or a Compiler, which is a fact. There are only a few people in the world who can! The level of expertise one needs to undertake such a feat(creating a scalable forum from scratch) is very high and few people in the world possess it. A lot of people's egos were hurt by this fact, but it is the truth. All folks can do is talk, but if we ask for proof, they show us nothing. More importantly, if you know anyone with such skills, please let me know. I'd love to be proved wrong!

I think one day, me and you should combine our knowledge in CS and SE, so that we can emerge as the next Bill Gates and Paul Allen that will come out from Niaja. cheesy

(1) (2) (3) (Reply)

Tic Tac Toe Online Game With AI / Rynga Voip Issues - The Call Failed Due To Sound Device Problem On This Computer / Simple Server

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 62
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.