Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,154,749 members, 7,824,156 topics. Date: Saturday, 11 May 2024 at 01:05 AM

Creating A Website - Programming - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Science/Technology / Programming / Creating A Website (2639 Views)

Creating A Group Chat With Html/javascript/php/mysql For Beginners / Creating An Open-source Java Web Service / Creating A New Face For Nl (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Creating A Website by callydon(m): 11:01am On Jul 04, 2012
Please I want to go into web site designing but am kind of confused.
Wots d BEST way to design a website; Is it through notepad(i.e HTML) or is Dream Weaver n other applications like dat better?
Thanks
plz someone shud reply ASAP cos I really need dis advice now.
Thanks y'all once again.
Re: Creating A Website by spikesC(m): 11:31am On Jul 04, 2012
you're just naming applications dat help you edit scripts. You need to learn the languages first. Learn xhtml, css and javascript. You should download ebooks on them, go to w3schools.com to learn the basics
Re: Creating A Website by callydon(m): 11:35am On Jul 04, 2012
spikes C: you're just naming applications dat help you edit scripts. You need to learn the languages first. Learn xhtml, css and javascript. You should download ebooks on them, go to w3schools.com to learn the basics
Thaks.wot am really asking abt is which one will make u leran web design very well.
Also shud I start with HTML or XHTML?
Re: Creating A Website by spikesC(m): 2:57pm On Jul 04, 2012
callydon:
Thaks.wot am really asking abt is which one will make u leran web design very well.
Also shud I start with HTML or XHTML?

They are the same, xhtml is just strict and its the new standard. I said, learn xhtml, css and javascript. you should also learn html5 and css3, that is the latest standard though not widely adopted now
Re: Creating A Website by doncigalo: 10:44pm On Jul 05, 2012
@callydon First of all you need to walk before you can run. DO NOT, I repeat do not jump into HTML and CSS (these are the core languages that you need for designing web sites or web apps). Learn about the concept of wireframes or design concepts. What this entails is actually designing the website in a graphic editing tool such as Indesign or Fireworks and then once you're comfortable with your design you can start using HTML and CSS to start building . So in essence a wireframe is a blueprint which you use for designing and developing web sites/apps.

Another benefit of using wireframes is that you can show your clients as a proof of concept, and any changes that need to be made can easily be made before you even start the development phase.

Please do not make the mistake that most self styled Nigerian web/app designers make, which is jumping straight into the coding part without using a wireframe, it shows in their end product as they always produce low quality work.
Re: Creating A Website by callydon(m): 8:16am On Jul 06, 2012
doncigalo: @callydon First of all you need to walk before you can run. DO NOT, I repeat do not jump into HTML and CSS (these are the core languages that you need for designing web sites or web apps). Learn about the concept of wireframes or design concepts. What this entails is actually designing the website in a graphic editing tool such as Indesign or Fireworks and then once you're comfortable with your design you can start using HTML and CSS to start building . So in essence a wireframe is a blueprint which you use for designing and developing web sites/apps.

Another benefit of using wireframes is that you can show your clients as a proof of concept, and any changes that need to be made can easily be made before you even start the development phase.

Please do not make the mistake that most self styled Nigerian web/app designers make, which is jumping straight into the coding part without using a wireframe, it shows in their end product as they always produce low quality work.
bros abeg clarify more on dis cos dis is d 1st time am hearing abt dis WIREFRAME of a thing. Is it d same thing as DREAMWEAVER?
Plz clarify more. Thanks.
Re: Creating A Website by spikesC(m): 8:41am On Jul 06, 2012
callydon:
bros abeg clarify more on dis cos dis is d 1st time am hearing abt dis WIREFRAME of a thing. Is it d same thing as DREAMWEAVER?
Plz clarify more. Thanks.

Most web designing ebooks will tell you about it. U also need to read 'principles of beautiful web design'. I have part 1.
Nevertheless, wireframing is just designing the look of the website on a graphic program before actually writing the real codes. It has so many advantages like; if you're designing for a client, u just send him the image for approval before u start coding. Also, image slicing. Mostly for those using photoshop, it is now easier for you to code the real site.

1 Like

Re: Creating A Website by doncigalo: 9:32am On Jul 06, 2012
@callydon Spikes_C has said it all, basically you design the entire site in a graphic editing tool, it actually looks like like the real thing,the only difference is that you cant click on anything.
Re: Creating A Website by callydon(m): 10:13am On Jul 06, 2012
doncigalo: @callydon Spikes_C has said it all, basically you design the entire site in a graphic editing tool, it actually looks like like the real thing,the only difference is that you cant click on anything.
Bros pls dn't get me wrong. m not disputing wot he said am only surprised dat I av nt heard abt it b4.and I asked if its d same with DREAMWEAVER. If its nt d same where can i get dis graphic editing tool.
Thanks
Re: Creating A Website by doncigalo: 3:56pm On Jul 06, 2012
nope, its not the same, an example would be Adobe FireWorks, its usually in the same installation package as Dreamweaver.
Re: Creating A Website by callydon(m): 9:39pm On Jul 06, 2012
Plz give me a link where I can download d FIREWORKS.
Thanks.
Re: Creating A Website by doncigalo: 10:16pm On Jul 06, 2012
http://www.adobe.com/products/fireworks.html, you can download the trial version for free, If u need d full version I suggest u vist dem boiz dat sell software and they will definitely hook u up.
Re: Creating A Website by spikesC(m): 10:27pm On Jul 06, 2012
It must not be fireworks. U can also use corel draw or even paint, it depends on how good you are with the application
Re: Creating A Website by collinsz: 6:49pm On Jul 07, 2012
you can contact me for the latest cs6 package(the latest package) on 08033260602
Re: Creating A Website by switchmax8: 1:50pm On Jul 10, 2012
poster,
we can train you on how to design website using dreamweaver etc
Re: Creating A Website by Dsense(m): 4:39pm On Jul 10, 2012
doncigalo: @callydon First of all you need to walk before you can run. DO NOT, I repeat do not jump into HTML and CSS (these are the core languages that you need for designing web sites or web apps). Learn about the concept of wireframes or design concepts. What this entails is actually designing the website in a graphic editing tool such as Indesign or Fireworks and then once you're comfortable with your design you can start using HTML and CSS to start building . So in essence a wireframe is a blueprint which you use for designing and developing web sites/apps.

I do not concur with you method. If newbie is to learn about web designing, the simplest and perfect start should be to learn XTMHL,CSS, then either PHP or Javascript. Thereafter he/she can then commence on learning how to implement Wireframe.
That's how i started and still on it, though i've gobe deep now.
Re: Creating A Website by Peterson1993(m): 7:03pm On Jul 10, 2012
Firstly, you must cultivate passion for it because it may really be boring at the starting point. You must be ready to resist any temptation of abandoning it when you feel bored about everything maybe because you feel it's too difficult to learn. It will get to a point when you start asking yourself "Am I not really wasting my time on this web designing crab? I can't do it!. It is too difficult" .

Secondly, learning coding is almost the most important part. Read any available code that comes way but never forget the fact that the best way to learn coding is to code. Your notepad++ at this point should be your favourite friend & pc programme. During coding you will learn some other things you never wish you could ever learn. Learn how to use your type/code without looking at the keyboard.

It will even interest more that you can actually set up a well designed website without learning any single coding. Some websites you see, the owners don't even know what HTML or CSS is. But that one is not advisable. As a site owner, you should know what you are doing so that you can make any desired change of your choice and solove any occurring problem. So you have to learn.. Asking anyone to help you design a site may be fatal because your website will die the very moment the web designer dies.

Learn coding first. Start with HTML @ www.w3schools.com

Or www.tutorialspoint.com( recommended! Download the HTML .pdf file/ebook and practise it virtually on your pc.
Re: Creating A Website by jamessmit(m): 7:02am On Jul 12, 2012
callydon: Please I want to go into web site designing but am kind of confused.
Wots d BEST way to design a website; Is it through notepad(i.e HTML) or is Dream Weaver n other applications like dat better?
Thanks
plz someone shud reply ASAP cos I really need dis advice now.
Thanks y'all once again.

Website designing is a nice platform from where you can earn may more for that you have to become expert in web designing. There are many web designing tools such as Fireworks, Dreamweaver, Panic Coda, Photoshop, Firebug etc.
Re: Creating A Website by dansmog(m): 11:45pm On Jul 12, 2012
My own advice is
get a system first, because it will be very compulsory as you go into it. That is what is killing me for now, mayb this month only.

1. Learn how to draw your site on paper or computer applications like photoshop, corel draw etec with the colors and designs.

2. Learn (x)html, css, javascript, dhtml,jquery and few php- if you find php somehow. Dhtml and jquery are very nice too.

3. Learn how to use cms like joomla, wordpress, drupal etc.

4. Learn wysiwyg editors like dreamweaver, komposer etc.

5. Keep and keep, keep and keep, coding, implementing codes, making use of your cms tools and dreamweaver.

Bottom line; just keep doing it.
And try and follow up good developers/designers also form you group of "like minds"
Re: Creating A Website by Lisa1: 9:32am On Jul 13, 2012
Thanks a lot
Re: Creating A Website by Nobody: 6:08pm On Jul 20, 2012
The knowledge of Computer based examination by secondary schools leavers is highly necessary now as many Tertiary institutions in Nigeria now organize school examination and test in form of a computer based.
At TechMart, we install computer based examination system in schools and colleges.
The system is will be designed as required by the school authority.
The system is capable of organizing a computer objectives based examination and test.
It is an auto-marking system that grades in percentage
Friendly user interface for students for easy examination
Friendly interface for Admin for easy
It gives the status of student either fail or pass
For more information about this system, contact us at TechMart Communication and
Electrical Installation on 08030972356 or by email techmartinfo201@gmail.com[b][/b]
Re: Creating A Website by spikesC(m): 11:23am On Jul 23, 2012
@op, i got this for you. They're free ebooks on designing
http://arbent.net/blog/outstanding-free-ebooks-on-design
Re: Creating A Website by santhan: 8:09am On Jul 24, 2012
Hi,
Creating website is easy and got to be launched too. In my perception there are sites like www.XnYnZ.com where we can design our sites by using 3000+ available ready made templates and can be launched there itself.
Re: Creating A Website by doncigalo: 2:41pm On Jul 24, 2012
@D-sense Look it aint an argument. Any web/UI designer that worth his/her salt starts with a wireframe. Its design 101 ! Thats why we have really poor quality web designers in this country , they just jump into the coding aspect without doing a detailed mockup/wireframe. When in reality designing the wireframe forms 40-50% of the total design work.
Re: Creating A Website by Phiapia: 4:26am On May 19, 2017
doncigalo:
@D-sense Look it aint an argument. Any web/UI designer that worth his/her salt starts with a wireframe. Its design 101 ! Thats why we have really poor quality web designers in this country , they just jump into the coding aspect without doing a detailed mockup/wireframe. When in reality designing the wireframe forms 40-50% of the total design work.

Agree that wireframe design No.1. Or maybe we can start building Photoshop wireframe first. I know there are other easier prototyper tool used by pro designers.

(1) (Reply)

Admob Suspension / Creating An Open Source School Management System / Where Do I Start From?

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 77
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.