Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,958 members, 7,817,817 topics. Date: Saturday, 04 May 2024 at 08:16 PM

Pathetic State Of Nigeria's Basic Healthcare Infrastructure - Health - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Health / Pathetic State Of Nigeria's Basic Healthcare Infrastructure (918 Views)

Photo Of The Deplorable State Of The UNIPORT Teaching Hospital / How To Get A Very Smooth Facial Skin Using A Very Basic Home Remedy / Ebola: Nigeria's Healthcare System Failed Us (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply)

Pathetic State Of Nigeria's Basic Healthcare Infrastructure by tosinaded(m): 9:38am On Jul 08, 2011
Am really sad this morning, been hearing different stories about poor our healthcare was, buh I didn't know the gravity, or how intense it was till wednesday.

A man at my church, elderly in his early 60's fell sick at his house and cldnt breathe properly. . .  He has a record of high blood pressure and diabetes, which he has been treating for a while. Buh this particular day, it went worse, and he cldnt breathe well, he was rushed to a private hospital in the estate where he stays at isolo, there they were told that they had only little oxygen left and it wldnt last more than 30mins. .  The family then pleaded that, all they needed was to re stabilize him with the oxygen, pending the time when they wld get to general hospital isolo. The doctor in charge refused, saying that their ambulance was faulty and they cldnt let them carry the oxygen without an ambulance and a doctor. They pleaded and pleaded, as the old man was left gasping for oxygen on the shoulder of his son.

So the family had to get a cab and off they went to isolo general hospital, there they were even more shocked at the reception they got. .  As soon as the nurse saw that the patient wasn't registered at isolo general hospital, but Ikeja general hospital. . . She said the man cldnt be treated at isolo. . They pleaded and pleaded, that the man was dying and it was an emergency and all thy needed was to keep him alive with oxygen. Isolo refused to admit the man, and he was dying on the shoulders of the son. .  Gasping for breathe in the presence of the nurse and the doctors, buh they still wld t bulge out of pity that a human life was gradually fading out.

The family then asked for an ambulance, so that they wld at least be able to get to ikeja fast, wiv the ambulance and siren, the doctor said the driver wasn't around and that there was nothing he cld do.

The family had to get another taxi, and had to go all the way fro. Isolo to ikeja general hospital. . . The traffic was another thing. . Before they cld get to ikeja, the man was as good as gone. .  Before they cld get him to see a doctor, he was dead!

I cldnt help but cry when my mum told me the story yesterday, and I kept asking myself. .  Is this how poor how healthcare has gotten? Human lives mean nothing to doctors anymore.

Why was it so difficult for the doctor at the private hospital to give oxygen, no matter how small it was?

why would a general hospital reject a critical case of a dying man because he was registered at ikeja general hospital?

Why clndt they at least give them an ambulance and oxygen till they got to ikeja, even if they cldnt treat him?

I can't imagine how many people have died due to negligence of doctors and the healthcare situation in Nigeria, nobody cares anymore about lives of people. . . .

It's really sad. . .

(1) (Reply)

Ask Doctor In The House / Help Me: , / Is HIV Still A Death Certificate??

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 20
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.